Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 35 of 35

Thread: Bill SImmons thoughts on the Pacers...

  1. #26
    Member IndyProdigy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    354

    Default Re: Bill SImmons thoughts on the Pacers...

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Everyone who follows Bill Simmons understands that he's a Boston homer. I like it (and I'm a Colts and Yankees fan). It makes him more real and authentic. Sure he's biased when he says that the 86 Celtics are the best team ever or that Russell was better than Wilt, but those are both defensible opinions and he does a great job supporting them. Just because he's biased doesn't mean the book isn't jam-packed with awesome info, stories, and astute analysis of tape. I have never come across anyone who has gone through so much effort to write a complete book on the NBA.
    that book is HILARIOUS. and very informative. he hits vince carter right in the head. and he has kobe to a T. with the exception of his new england area teams...he puts non bias, inciteful, and funny spin on everything that regards to the NBA. and the funny thing is, the book was originally going to be around 1300 words. his editor told him to cut it down to around 700, or a reasonable weight in pounds...somewhere around 3 I believe.
    "To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine

  2. #27
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,734

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bill SImmons thoughts on the Pacers...

    Quote Originally Posted by IndyProdigy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    that book is HILARIOUS. and very informative. he hits vince carter right in the head. and he has kobe to a T. with the exception of his new england area teams...he puts non bias, inciteful, and funny spin on everything that regards to the NBA. and the funny thing is, the book was originally going to be around 1300 words. his editor told him to cut it down to around 700, or a reasonable weight in pounds...somewhere around 3 I believe.
    I agree, it's a great book and is a must read for anyone who is a die-hard NBA fan. I think my only complaint with it is that there are little factual errors here and there (saying Reggie played 15 seasons or that the 00 Lakers played Philly in the finals to name a few...)

  3. #28
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,061

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bill SImmons thoughts on the Pacers...

    I disagree with most of his premises, but greatly appreciated the information, maybe %10 of which I didn't know existed.

    It felt like the kind of book I would have written if I actually had the ambition for it. He even stole my shtick on the 1984 draft.....granted, he went into better detail. In the end, it was an improvement.

    Admittedly, having the kind of access he has to high level NBA archives and sources, he wrote a much better book than I ever could have. Still a little disturbed I never tried. And while I disagreed with his conclusions, I recognize and appreciate the passion in which they were written.

    At the very least, It's inspired me to finish my Hall of fame formula.
    Last edited by Kstat; 12-26-2009 at 06:37 PM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  4. #29
    Member bulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    1,586

    Default Re: Bill SImmons thoughts on the Pacers...

    Honestly, I enjoy Simmons' baseball and football stuff more because I know less about those sports and can enjoy the humor of it better. Some of the basketball stuff is so ridiculous it's distracting. But he's still a funny man. No offense, Kstat, but even if you had that kind of access I doubt you could put together that kind of a book, the man's been writing in this signature style for a long time and he's really put together a solid writing style with good pacing and timing. He's like Dan Brown for basketball. With the conspiracy theories and everything.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to bulldog For This Useful Post:


  6. #30
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,928

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bill SImmons thoughts on the Pacers...

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Everyone who follows Bill Simmons understands that he's a Boston homer. I like it (and I'm a Colts and Yankees fan). It makes him more real and authentic. Sure he's biased when he says that the 86 Celtics are the best team ever or that Russell was better than Wilt, but those are both defensible opinions and he does a great job supporting them. Just because he's biased doesn't mean the book isn't jam-packed with awesome info, hilarious stories, and astute analysis of tape. I have never come across anyone who has gone through so much effort to write a complete book on the NBA.
    Agreed lots of cool stuff and honestly as far as him being a "homer" I don't think he's any worse than your average sports fan who is obviously going to be biased. He admits the greatness of even his biggest rivals, Peyton, A-Rod, etc.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  7. #31
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,061

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bill SImmons thoughts on the Pacers...

    Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Honestly, I enjoy Simmons' baseball and football stuff more because I know less about those sports and can enjoy the humor of it better. Some of the basketball stuff is so ridiculous it's distracting. But he's still a funny man. No offense, Kstat, but even if you had that kind of access I doubt you could put together that kind of a book, the man's been writing in this signature style for a long time and he's really put together a solid writing style with good pacing and timing. He's like Dan Brown for basketball. With the conspiracy theories and everything.
    His style is very similar to mine, and I've been writing that way for a long time. I also see ways to improve on what he did.

    That said, I'm not going to win any arguments over "if Kstat of pacers digest could do as good a job as Bill Simmons the nationally-renowned sportswriter," and that was never my original intention in the previous post. He's the sports guy everybody knows, and I'm just a random poster on a message board. I won't back down from my claim that I could have written a damn good book as well, but I also don't expect anyone to take that seriously at all.

    At the very least, I think I can cover some new ground with my formula/thesis on hall of fame basketball players.
    Last edited by Kstat; 12-26-2009 at 09:59 PM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  8. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Richmond, IN/New Paris, OH
    Age
    36
    Posts
    377

    Default Re: Bill SImmons thoughts on the Pacers...

    Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bill Simmons actually wrote that? How is he working for ESPN? I could have wrote something better than that....that is the worse piece I've ever read. Like for **** sakes, you work for ESPN, but some thought into your work
    Well, he's more of a comedy writer, not a straight up sports writer. It's his job to be a smart-***, and yeah, I chuckled. It's just schtick.

  9. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Richmond, IN/New Paris, OH
    Age
    36
    Posts
    377

    Default Re: Bill SImmons thoughts on the Pacers...

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I listen to every Simmons podcast, much more than I keep up with his articles.
    Bill! Jacko! Partners in Crime!

  10. #34
    Member bulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    1,586

    Default Re: Bill SImmons thoughts on the Pacers...

    Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bill! Jacko! Partners in Crime!
    The! Subway! Fresh Take Hotline!

    [Awesome Guitar Solo]

  11. #35
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Bill SImmons thoughts on the Pacers...

    Seriously, who isn't excited for the sandwich beatdown? Who doesn't want to see Dukie and Peck, Hicks and I, or a million other combos pull a similar Digest version with the loser getting "Subwayed" in the front concourse after a game.


    PS - I loved Jacko having a total Yanks meltdown at the start of the year. I disagreed completely but I have a Yanks friend who's always knee-jerk lost it just like that. Classic stuff, and all on tape to be replayed later.

Similar Threads

  1. USA Today Pacers update
    By Speed in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 09-18-2008, 11:52 PM
  2. Bill Simmons column mentions Pacers
    By Wu-Gambino in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-13-2008, 12:59 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-31-2004, 08:26 AM
  4. Very good article about Pacers from USA Today
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-03-2004, 11:53 AM
  5. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-20-2004, 12:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •