Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Foster update (02/01/10: Out for the season; back surgery)

Default Re: Jeff Foster update (02/01/10: Out for the season; back surgery)

How serious is the back problem? Is it something that impairs his normal life? Or just keeps him from playing basketball?

I'll be sorry to see his basketball career end, but Jeff is a good guy and I hope his post-NBA life is enjoyable, too.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Banned

It's sad to see Foster still struggling with his back. Honestly, I think it's time that we try to deal him for something...maybe some cash and a 2nd rounder? I was thinking a base deal like JR Smith for Foster since Denver really needs a big man, and we could use a knock down shooter? Just a thought, but that would be a great deal both ways in my opinion.

Banned

Why would we try to deal Jeff? Base deal JR Smith for Jeff Foster? I mean I love Foster, but it's about time we see if we can get something for him while we still can.

The Nuggets need a big man pretty bad, that can rebound and play defense, and Jeff fits that role perfectly. Indiana, on the other hand, needs a knock down shooter that can also bring some energy to the floor...and JR Smith would bring that.

Thoughts on that idea?

Quote Originally Posted by purdue101 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like Jeff as a player and person, but that 2 yr extension before last season was flat out ridiculous.

At last years TDL, Jeff would have had a ton of value as an expiring defensive big man who was healthy (74 games last year). No doubt we could have gotten another expiring and late pick or prospect. Bird killed his value by extending him 2 more seasons before the season even began. Now we're stuck eating 6 million this season and next for a guy with no value.

I highly doubt he retires at 33 too. Why would he? He doesn't have to move or alter his lifestyle. He can show up on time for 7 months and make 6 million. It would be flat out stupid to walk from that gravy train.
    Integrity. Jeff may not feel right collecting a paycheck if he has no intentions of trying to play again next season. It is different if he intends to do everything he physically can to get back playing again. My understanding is he'll retire if he decides he won't do what is necessary to get back to playing again

Quote Originally Posted by td#12 View Post
    It's sad to see Foster still struggling with his back. Honestly, I think it's time that we try to deal him for something...maybe some cash and a 2nd rounder? I was thinking a base deal like JR Smith for Foster since Denver really needs a big man, and we could use a knock down shooter? Just a thought, but that would be a great deal both ways in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by td#12 View Post
    Why would we try to deal Jeff? Base deal JR Smith for Jeff Foster? I mean I love Foster, but it's about time we see if we can get something for him while we still can.

The Nuggets need a big man pretty bad, that can rebound and play defense, and Jeff fits that role perfectly. Indiana, on the other hand, needs a knock down shooter that can also bring some energy to the floor...and JR Smith would bring that.

Thoughts on that idea?
    Maybe you missed this part since almost nobody in this thread has mentioned it, but Foster will NOT be playing anytime soon, if ever again. Back surgery, you know.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It is a shame that things are as they are.

Apparently this has been well known by "insiders" with the franchise since at least December 23.

"He's not coming back."

"Ever?"

"Never ever."

I will truly miss Jeff and wish him the very best. He deserves that pickup truck I suggested back then as recognition by the franchise of the load he carried for us throughout his career. It would be a wonderful gift to him, especially if presented to him
    in a retirement ceremony at Conseco. He wouldn't have his jersey retired, but he would receive on final tribute from those of us who truly appreciated what he has done for the Pacers. I hope whoever can do so has made a suggestion like that to whoever can make that happen. The increase in attendance alone for the one game would likely pay for the truck and then some. I would bet that a sponsor could even be found to provide such a truck at significantly reduced cost for the exposure it would receive in the media.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

Along with a spot on the coaching staff, I think. He's as much as the Pacers family as you'll find. Love to see him stay here.

"I'm your huckleberry"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Jeff Foster update

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    #10 up in the Fieldhouse rafters?
    Yeah as soon as #45 and #32...hell, and #13 while we're at it. All of them would deserve it before Foster.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

As a long time back injury sufferer, I can say that I truly feel his pain.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

If Jeff experiences the same amount of dropoff in ability and explosiveness that Scot Pollard did at a younger age following back surgery,

then, whether Jeff wants to come back or not, his usefulness on the court will (sadly) have dwindled away.

every back injury is different, yadda yadda yadda, but it doesn't look good.

Sports Logo

From a Non-Financial POV....I'd hate to see this happen to a Player that has been a very good soldier for the Team for the last couple of years. I'm not going to jump on Bird for giving ( what many perceive to be ) an undeserving Contract or rip on Foster for ( what many perceive ) to being nothing more than a Backup PF Role Player.

IMHO....complaining about Foster's extension now is like crying over spilled milk....it's unfortunate that it turned out this way...but it's nothing we can change now....so why complain about it....especially if it seemed REASONABLE to do AT THAT TIME.

Was it a mistake to extend him?

With hindsight being 20/20, of course we can see now that giving Foster an Extension however many seasons ago seems like a mistake now ( only cuz it did affect our ability to resign Jack )....but at the time ( without knowing that the LT threshold would be significantly lowered ) it seemed reasonable to do so....or at the very least was debateable one way or another.

I just hope that IF UBs inside sources are somewhat accurate that Foster may ( more then likely ) retire after this season.....that the FO decides to keep him on as a Coaching Assistant....specifically to stay on to help Coach the Big Men like Hibbert, Hansbrough and whoever we draft at the PF/C rotation over the next 2 drafts.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

And the beat keeps going. I'm actually not surprised at this point. Just another delay in this franchise moving forward (Jeff's Contract). Us not being able to trade him highlights what a disaster this team is, we just can't catch a break.

That being said, hope Foster is able to recover and move forward with his career and normal day to day life. Back pain is no joke!
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

ESPN may have been premature in their reporting:

@Wells222 : Foster to fly to LA later this week to get another opinion on his back.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

worst extension ever. I've always thought they should have traded him years ago when his value was still high.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    ESPN may have been premature in their reporting:

@Wells222 : Foster to fly to LA later this week to get another opinion on his back.
    We've known that he's had back problems forever.....in the past...when he's had back problems....had he had to go get 2nd opinions on it ( as in....is this normal procedure for Foster in the past whenever his back flaired up ? )?

or

Is this situation different then before and so bad that he has to go get a 2nd opinion?

Although one could read it many different ways......my impression is that IF this back injury is severe.....then getting a 2nd opinion would likely be to confirm the worst case scenario ( as in season or even career-ending injury ).

At this point....not that I'd ever wish for him to retire....but since Foster has always had back injuries that has plagued him for the last couple of years that has limited his effectiveness....I'd seriously be considering retirement just for health reasons. I'd guess that there is going to be continued strain on his back that won't go away as long as he continues to do what he does.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    worst extension ever. I've always thought they should have traded him years ago when his value was still high.
    I don't know about that. How about Bender or Tinsley, just to name a couple?

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    ......my impression is that IF this back injury is severe.....then getting a 2nd opinion would likely be to confirm the worst case scenario ( as in season or even career-ending injury ).
    The 2nd opinion may also be for insurance reasons, or an "in advance" preparation for petitioning the league for salary cap relief down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    I don't know about that. How about Bender or Tinsley, just to name a couple?
    True, so he was the 3rd worst extension ever.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    The 2nd opinion may also be for insurance reasons, or an "in advance" preparation for petitioning the league for salary cap relief down the line.
    Sadly, this seems like a reasonable conclusion. Good thinking Tom.

Sports Logo

worst extension ever.
    At the time of the extension.....which is the important thing to note.....I think that it's debateable whether this is the "worst extension ever". It's not like we extended Oriene Greene or some 14th string player....TPTB decided to extend a Player that was ( at that time and still is....if he was still playing ) considered a Productive on the Team. If we didn't have all this lowering of the LT threshold over the last 2 years and we had enough room to resign Jack...this wouldn't have been an issue. My whole point is that because it wasn't known that all these things would happen to the LT....it's easier to say that we shouldn't have extended Foster back then.

On top of that....when TPTB extended Foster....did we even make the trade for Jack yet?

I've always thought they should have traded him years ago when his value was still high.
    Unfortunately, I can't disagree with this. If it's true that we could have gotten Capspace and a 1st round pick from the Nuggets a season ago....then we really blew it there.
    Last edited by CableKC; 02-01-2010 at 06:18 PM.

From a Non-Financial POV....I'd hate to see this happen to a Player that has been a very good soldier for the Team for the last couple of years. I'm not going to jump on Bird for giving ( what many perceive to be ) an undeserving Contract or rip on Foster for ( what many perceive ) to being nothing more than a Backup PF Role Player.

IMHO....complaining about Foster's extension now is like crying over spilled milk....it's unfortunate that it turned out this way...but it's nothing we can change now....so why complain about it....especially if it seemed REASONABLE to do AT THAT TIME.

Was it a mistake to extend him?

With hindsight being 20/20, of course we can see now that giving Foster an Extension however many seasons ago seems like a mistake now ( only cuz it did affect our ability to resign Jack )....but at the time ( without knowing that the LT threshold would be significantly lowered ) it seemed reasonable to do so....or at the very least was debateable one way or another.

I just hope that IF UBs inside sources are somewhat accurate that Foster may ( more then likely ) retire after this season.....that the FO decides to keep him on as a Coaching Assistant....specifically to stay on to help Coach the Big Men like Hibbert, Hansbrough and whoever we draft at the PF/C rotation over the next 2 drafts.

Debateable? It's been debated to death since it happened. Some have pointed out it was a mistake/blunder from day 1. It's just now come to roost
    how big a blunder Bird made. Believe me I'm not happy that Foster's career might be over, but it isn't like Bird didn't know of Foster's previous back problems b4 get gave Foster the 2 year extension for almost 13 mil.

The same type of blunder by Bird in picking up Jimmy's team option b4 even seeing how the season would progress has come home to roost with a 16-32, the 5th worst record in the NBA, and a lost team.

Some didn't need Foster's injury nor watching a pathetic team lose games
    b/c a coach is going to it his way or else to have seen blunders from day 1. They didn't need 20/20 hindsight to know they were mistakes. It was obvious from the beginning and they said so.

These blunders are costing ownership and the Pacers franchise, and the one responsible for these costly blunders needs to be sent packing! Now b4 there is another blunder by wasting a great draft pick on the wrong player.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

If he's going to LA for a second opinion, he's probably going to Luke Walton's back doctor. Which is my back doctor, Michael Port at D.I.S.C. in Marina Del Rey. If that's the case, he'll be in fantastic hands.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Debateable? It's been debated to death since it happened. Some have pointed out it was a mistake/blunder from day 1. It's just now come to roost
    how big a blunder Bird made. Believe me I'm not happy that Foster's career might be over, but it isn't like Bird didn't know of Foster's previous back problems b4 get gave Foster the 2 year extension for almost 13 mil.

The same type of blunder by Bird in picking up Jimmy's team option b4 even seeing how the season would progress has come home to roost with a 16-32, the 5th worst record in the NBA, and a lost team.

Some didn't need Foster's injury nor watching a pathetic team lose games
    b/c a coach is going to it his way or else to have seen blunders from day 1. They didn't need 20/20 hindsight to know they were mistakes. It was obvious from the beginning and they said so.

These blunders are costing ownership and the Pacers franchise, and the one responsible for these costly blunders needs to be sent packing! Now b4 there is another blunder by wasting a great draft pick on the wrong player.
    This "blunder" that you are referring to that was obvious from the beginning that was they even also "said so"......you had sighted 2 examples in your post.....Foster's and JO'Bs extension. Which "blunder" are you referring to?

If both...then when did "they" ( and I'm assuming that you are referring to TPTB and not us PD Posters ) say "so"?

I don't ever recall TPTB ever saying publically that extending Foster was ever a blunder.

Looking 20/20 hindsight....with the LT going higher...with the option not to resign Jack non-existent due to Foster's signing.....and what we all know now...of course, it's easier to say that it was a mistake. But AT THAT TIME.....specifically 2 or 3 seasons ago knowing what was known at that time.......I don't think that it was a huge mistake to extend Foster....to me....despite having some reservations....extending him was somewhat reasonable. Again...AT THAT TIME....I don't think that it was automatically concluded by all that we shouldn't have extended him. I can even admit that at that time.....it obviously wasn't a "slam-dunk" extension that we should have done at all costs.... but I'm pretty sure that extending him was one of the worst moves in Pacers history ( which many of you are portraying it to be ). At worst....it could be considered one of the "worst moves in Pacers History had unforeseen consequences".

I barely remember what I said or did last week...so it's entirely possible that my memory is that bad that I don't remember.....but can someone pull up the old "Foster is extended" thread to guage reaction to this at that time? I don't think that it was so badly received that we were calling for someone's head to roll.
    Last edited by CableKC; 02-01-2010 at 06:38 PM.

This "blunder" that you are referring to that was obvious from the beginning that was they even also "said so"......you had sighted 2 examples in your post.....Foster's and JO'Bs extension. Which "blunder" are you referring to?

If both...then when did "they" ( and I'm assuming that you are referring to TPTB and not us PD Posters ) say "so"?

Looking 20/20 hindsight....with the LT going higher...with the option not to resign Jack non-existent due to Foster's signing.....and what we all know now...of course, it's easier to say that it was a mistake. But AT THAT TIME.....specifically 2 or 3 seasons ago knowing what was known at that time.......I don't think that it was a huge mistake to extend Foster....to me....despite having some reservations....extending him was somewhat reasonable. Again...AT THAT TIME....I don't think that it was automatically concluded by all that we shouldn't have extended him. I can even admit that at that time.....it obviously wasn't a "slam-dunk" extension that we should have done at all costs.... but I'm pretty sure that extending him was one of the worst moves in Pacers history ( which many of you are portraying it to be ). At worst....it could be considered one of the "worst moves in Pacers History had unforeseen consequences".

I barely remember what I said or did last week...so it's entirely possible that my memory is that bad that I don't remember.....but can someone pull up the old "Foster is extended" thread to guage reaction to this at that time? I don't think that it was so badly received that we were calling for someone's head to roll.

Both blunders.

Posters such as myself said that each, Foster's extension & Jimmy's 4th year, were bad mistakes from day1. Others stuck there head in the sand and said both deserved them. One for loyalty and the other so they wouldn't be a lame duck coach. Like I said those Bird mistakes/blunders have come home to roost now.

You can put lipstick on a pig to make it look better, but in the end it's still a pig. Both were major blunders that's costing this franchise, and no one can deny it if they take there head out of the sand. And the one to blame for those blunders is Bird.

Quote Originally Posted by purdue101 View Post
    I like Jeff as a player and person, but that 2 yr extension before last season was flat out ridiculous.

At last years TDL, Jeff would have had a ton of value as an expiring defensive big man who was healthy (74 games last year). No doubt we could have gotten another expiring and late pick or prospect. Bird killed his value by extending him 2 more seasons before the season even began. Now we're stuck eating 6 million this season and next for a guy with no value.

I highly doubt he retires at 33 too. Why would he? He doesn't have to move or alter his lifestyle. He can show up on time for 7 months and make 6 million. It would be flat out stupid to walk from that gravy train.
    That's kinda what kills this story of Jeff needing back surgery for me, as well. And please, don't get me wrong. I think Jeff Foster's a very nice servicable B/U Center who has been very under appreciated for what he does, but I never did understand why Bird gave him a contract extension knowing full well he had back problems that hadn't been properly treated prior to the extension. It's one thing to get him into surgery and then see what he can do afterwards and then, if productive, extend his contract. But it's another to grant the extension, know he has physical problems that limit his ability and then get him into surgery. That's just plain doing business backwards to me.