Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Foster update (02/01/10: Out for the season; back surgery)

Default Re: Jeff Foster update

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Huge Foster fan here, but if you retire his number you need to retire about 20 other Pacers at the same time...starting with Rik Smits, Dale Davis and Mark Jackson....who are all much better NBA players than Jeff.....Again, he's a good player but would have been a career backup behind Dale.
    Love this board because there are so many areas for healthy debate. I have not been a Pacers fan long enough to appreciate the old-timers like others can, but even if Foster does not get his jersy retired, many could argue that he is worthy. In an earlier post, I mentioned how Jeff is creeping up the all-time lists. He will likely finish as the all-time leader in offensive rebounds, is moving up in total rebounds, I think he is #3 in total games, in the top 10 in steals. He's missed a bunch of games, and has had his minutes purposely limited (to conserve his back) during several of the past seasons even when healthy. So his numbers defensively would be even higher, but for things somewhat out of his control. Even so, many have brought up the intangibles that he provides. Hard to compare him in that area, but this is a part of his game.

Somewhat disconcerting to me though is the fact that he is listed as day-to-day as of yesterday, he was not on the bench in a suit or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyd View Post
    Love this board because there are so many areas for healthy debate. I have not been a Pacers fan long enough to appreciate the old-timers like others can, but even if Foster does not get his jersy retired, many could argue that he is worthy. In an earlier post, I mentioned how Jeff is creeping up the all-time lists. He will likely finish as the all-time leader in offensive rebounds, is moving up in total rebounds, I think he is #3 in total games, in the top 10 in steals. He's missed a bunch of games, and has had his minutes purposely limited (to conserve his back) during several of the past seasons even when healthy. So his numbers defensively would be even higher, but for things somewhat out of his control. Even so, many have brought up the intangibles that he provides. Hard to compare him in that area, but this is a part of his game.

Somewhat disconcerting to me though is the fact that he is listed as day-to-day as of yesterday, he was not on the bench in a suit or otherwise.
    Hey!!!!!!!!

Oh wait...

Damn I'm old. Where is Geezer so I can talk to him and feel younger again.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Anyone heard an update on Bird's 12 mil $ Man's injury, or when we'll be graced with his presence on the court again? How many games has he missed now? I've lost track since it seems to be eons ago he ever donned a Pacers uni.

Oh BTW, I enjoyed the piece they showed about him visiting a local school during the Lakers game where he was constantly asked "how tall are you?" At 6'11", he's probably the tallest person most of those children have ever seen up close and in person. He seems to be a great PR person for the Pacers in the community.

I'll answer my own question. Foster has been out since the Dec 19 game. That's 22 games or almost half the games already played.

Apparently, nothing on his return status is known.

I'm embarrassed by having to say I'm computer impared. There is an article on Realgm by John Hollinger/True Hoop today saying that Foster will likely require back surgury and be out the rest of the season.

Could someone with the ability post this article to to this thread? I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Justin

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...uggets-rolling

"Incidentally, it appears they’ll be doing it more or less with the current roster. Multiple sources said Denver’s longstanding pursuit of Indiana’s Jeff Foster is over because he’s likely to require surgery for his injured back and miss the rest of the season."

More Murph all the time! Jeff down for the season likely means reluctance to trade Murph now.
    Ugh.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Jeff Foster update (02/01/10: Out for the season; back surgery)

I feel bad for Jeff.

My inside Jeff Foster sources have been telling me for a few weeks that he'll retire after this season. Not a done deal but he is leaning towards retiring.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Jeff, like Diener, should have had a more indepth evaluation of his physical condition in the off season and had the required surgery (if the report is true) during the off season. It hasn't been a mystery that Jeff has had back problems for years, but instead of going ahead and truly evaluating the problem, the team docs just kept putting "band aides" on it.

I understand the concerns for career ending surgery and all, but IMO if a player is that valuable to your team you don't seek the quick fix; you do real medical evaluations to determine the cause then you do what you have to do to fix the problem.

In a twisted kind of way, this reminds me of what transpired over JO's knee problem. The only decent thing to come out of this was that they've kept Jeff out until they determined he really couldn't play through his injury unlike what they seemed to have "forced" onto JO. The difference here is Foster isn't being paid a small fortune nor does he carry the franchise player tag. But his rebounding and under-rated post defense are two elements this team sorely misses.

I feel for the guy, but IMO this is something that should have been looked at and a decision made to take care of it long ago.
    Last edited by NuffSaid; 02-01-2010 at 09:54 AM.

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

IMO we need to trade Murph even more now! Jeff was a bargining chip we have now lost. If we intend on getting under the tax for n/y & still have some options this summer, we need to get the help where ever we can.

Screw the lack of depth @ the 4/5. Last I checked we have S.Jones & McBob who don't play as is. It's like having a pool with a divider rope up 24/7, having depth does you no good if you don't use what you got. Besides, isn't there something I read about once called the NBADL? I hear it's a perfect opportinity for a team going no where to take a flyer on a young, hungry big wanting to prove he belongs. (Some spirit & desire might be nice to have around here.) Worst case - more ping-pong balls, more breathing room under the cap, and one less crutch for JO'B.

Wonder if Foster walks away if surgery is indeed needed. Can't see him pushing to get back to this mess, & knowing he too will be gone after n/y can't help inspire him much. I have heard from a guy who talks w/ him on occation that he has been smart w/ his money & would be comfortable walking away when the time comes. He has a family he enjoys & knows his time is shorter then it is long. Being a Pacer at heart, it would be nice to see him make a decision that could help both himself & this team move forward.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I feel bad for Jeff.

My inside Jeff Foster sources have been telling me for a few weeks that he'll retire after this season. Not a done deal but he is leaning towards retiring.
    If he does retire, you can still trade his contract away no?
    Sittin on top of the world!

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    If he does retire, you can still trade his contract away no?
    Also, don't they still carry him on the cap, correct? Ala Reggie, right?

Hell yeah, the good times keep rollin!!

-- Steve --

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacersfan46 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

[green] I think the final straw on Jeff's back was carrying the extra weight of the moustache last season... [\green]
    "I mean, you'd walk into our dressing room and run into Mel Daniels holding a .45 -- it makes you wonder."

Bob Netolicky

Solomon Jones will continue to back up starter Roy Hibbert.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewtone View Post
    [green] I think the final straw on Jeff's back was carrying the extra weight of the moustache last season... [\green]
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

20. The Following User Says Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    I'm not sure about that. Reggie retired because he wanted to. With Foster, it sounds like it would be an injury/medical related retirement. Someone else will have to chime in with how the rules might be different in the two cases.

I'm not even sure the "Bender" rule applies. If you remember, the Pacers were able to get the team's insurance to cover Bender's remaining contract after a year of not being able to play. At least, that is my memory of it.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    Solomon Jones will continue to back up starter Roy Hibbert.
    starter Roy Hibbert should've been green right........Cause Roy's backing up Troy. so Solo's backing up the backup that SHOULD be our starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    I'm not sure about that. Reggie retired because he wanted to. With Foster, it sounds like it would be an injury/medical related retirement. Someone else will have to chime in with how the rules might be different in the two cases.

I'm not even sure the "Bender" rule applies. If you remember, the Pacers were able to get the team's insurance to cover Bender's remaining contract after a year of not being able to play. At least, that is my memory of it.
    If Jeff Foster has a medical retirement that is certified by league doctors, then the Pacers will be eligible for relief of his entire salary for the year in which he is deemed retired (and any years beyond that).

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Coon
    There is one exception whereby a player can continue to receive his salary, but the salary is not included in the team's team salary. This is when a player is forced to retire for medical reasons and a league-appointed physician confirms that he is medically unfit to continue playing. There is a waiting period of one year following the injury or illness before a team can apply for this salary cap relief. If the waiting period expires mid-season (on any date prior to the last day of the regular season), then the player's entire salary for that season is removed from the team's team salary. For example, in March 2003 the Knicks were allowed to remove Luc Longley's entire 2002-03 salary from their books (and since the luxury tax is based on the team salary as of the last day of the regular season, the Knicks avoided paying any tax on Longley's salary). This provision can also be used when a player dies while under contract.
    In Jeff's case, if the last game he ever plays was on 12/19/09, that's when the clock would start. If he met the requirements, then it is is conceivable that his salary would come off the books next season, for both cap and tax purposes.

(He would still be owed his salary by the Pacers, dependent upon his contract details, and the Pacers would have to work with the insurance company regarding reimbursement.)

However, there's a long way between where we're at now and there.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to count55 For This Useful Post:

At this stage in life if he has to have surgery on his back, he's done. If he was younger it would still be a very iffy thing as back surgery's very seldom come without long term complications.

It is sad to have him end his career in this fashion but he can take some solace in knowing that like Reggie he is one of the very few players in the NBA that can say they spent their entire career with one team.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Banned

what a good idea by the pacers in giving him a three years contract worth 15mil

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    what a good idea by the pacers in giving him a three years contract worth 15mil

Sorry, it was a 2 year contract worth almost 13 mil. Let's not make Bird's Blunder any worse than it already is!

(In green)
    How did Jack look at Toronto the other night!?!? Oh yeah, the Pacers didn't have the money to sign him. They used the money on the 12 mil $ Man.

I like Jeff as a player and person, but that 2 yr extension before last season was flat out ridiculous.

At last years TDL, Jeff would have had a ton of value as an expiring defensive big man who was healthy (74 games last year). No doubt we could have gotten another expiring and late pick or prospect. Bird killed his value by extending him 2 more seasons before the season even began. Now we're stuck eating 6 million this season and next for a guy with no value.

I highly doubt he retires at 33 too. Why would he? He doesn't have to move or alter his lifestyle. He can show up on time for 7 months and make 6 million. It would be flat out stupid to walk from that gravy train.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I feel bad for Jeff.

I dug this thread up yesterday, b/c I had an idea Foster had major problems with his back. I'm sorry Foster is having to go thru this. I hope everything turns out for the best with his back. Unfortunately, I'm quite aware of the pain back problems can cause people in the daily lives.

I wouldn't mind seeing Foster become a coach with the Pacers... under a coach whose initials aren't JO'B.
    Last edited by Justin Tyme; 02-01-2010 at 01:04 PM.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This sucks.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Helmet For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He acts as a coach to all the younger guys on the team. Especially for Roy so it would be a good idea sometime later on for Jeff to become a coach here or in the league.

Still it's upsetting to see his career end like this.