Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 70

Thread: Today's Negative OB Quote

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Fishers, IN
    Posts
    445

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Today's Negative OB Quote

    "They have three All-Stars on the court. We don't have any All-Stars on the court. Sometimes that's why teams come back."
    Ya gotta love the negative reinforcement this leader gives his team.
    "....without Danny Granger."
    If I hear OB mention his favorite player who is not on the court again, I simply will give him the words "No excuses accepted. Look at Houston without Yao."

  2. #2
    We need John Wall. Thesterovic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    962

    Default Re: Today's Negative OB Quote

    You got a link, or?

    I'm sick of Jimmy. Everyone knows how good the C's are, no need to kill the team morale to acknowledge it.
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

    Way to go Jim, you may have just put our franchise back another 4+ years.

  3. #3
    pacer fan since 88-89 Mr_Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis/Noblesville
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,630

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Today's Negative OB Quote

    excuses, exshmuses Jim O'brien!!!!
    Fire up that tank and drive it to the lottery then to the draft

  4. #4

    Default Re: Today's Negative OB Quote

    Quote Originally Posted by special ed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "They have three All-Stars on the court. We don't have any All-Stars on the court. Sometimes that's why teams come back."
    Ya gotta love the negative reinforcement this leader gives his team.
    "....without Danny Granger."
    If I hear OB mention his favorite player who is not on the court again, I simply will give him the words "No excuses accepted. Look at Houston without Yao."
    Totally agree. Are we idiots? Of course Boston is a better team but you don't have to say it and make our players feel like they are no better than a D-league team.

  5. #5
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,053

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Today's Negative OB Quote

    Sometimes you guys slay me.

    What is he supposed to say? "Our players are great and with a different coach they'd all be All-Stars"? "Boston really is a mediocre team and we should have beaten them except we suck"?

    To me, what he said is accurate, truthful, and (unlike some I could mention) our players are likely mature enough not to take it as an insult.

    Pick on the things he says and doesn't follow through on, pick on his selection of lineups and lack of half-court solutions, but this is pretty minor if it is a problem at all.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  7. #6
    We need John Wall. Thesterovic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    962

    Default Re: Today's Negative OB Quote

    He shouldn't have said anything at all.
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

    Way to go Jim, you may have just put our franchise back another 4+ years.

  8. #7

    Default Re: Today's Negative OB Quote

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sometimes you guys slay me.

    What is he supposed to say? "Our players are great and with a different coach they'd all be All-Stars"? "Boston really is a mediocre team and we should have beaten them except we suck"?

    To me, what he said is accurate, truthful, and (unlike some I could mention) our players are likely mature enough not to take it as an insult.

    Pick on the things he says and doesn't follow through on, pick on his selection of lineups and lack of half-court solutions, but this is pretty minor if it is a problem at all.
    He doesn't have to say anything of the sort. He is not forced to degrade the team...

  9. #8
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,632

    Default Re: Today's Negative OB Quote

    Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He doesn't have to say anything of the sort. He is not forced to degrade the team...
    Please point out the degrading part of this:

    Quote Originally Posted by JOB
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "They have three All-Stars on the court. We don't have any All-Stars on the court. Sometimes that's why teams come back."
    While pointing out the other team has more talent - which is undeniably true - might not be tactful, it is certainly not degrading.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  10. #9
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: Today's Negative OB Quote

    Yawn.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to count55 For This Useful Post:


  12. #10
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,770

    Default Re: Today's Negative OB Quote

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sometimes you guys slay me.

    What is he supposed to say? "Our players are great and with a different coach they'd all be All-Stars"? "Boston really is a mediocre team and we should have beaten them except we suck"?

    To me, what he said is accurate, truthful, and (unlike some I could mention) our players are likely mature enough not to take it as an insult.

    Pick on the things he says and doesn't follow through on, pick on his selection of lineups and lack of half-court solutions, but this is pretty minor if it is a problem at all.
    Bill I agree with you to a point. However someone mentioned this the other day and it got me to thinking. Has Jim O'Brien ever turned the analytical eye on himself openly? What I mean by that is has he ever come out and said hey something we did or did not do in practice maybe I need to go back and look at.

    I mean I have heard Larry Brown on more than one occasion come out and say "hey this one is on me" but with Jim sometimes I just get the feeling that he is deflecting everything away from himself. I think that is because to question himself is to question the system and as T-Bird pointed out to us he is a true believer and there is no shaking his confidence in the system. If something goes wrong it is because a player did not execute the system well enough, if we don't win a game it's because the players stopped going with the system.

    Yes I'm using some hyperbole there but I wonder how much.

    Also does our one all-star out rank their three all-stars? Because he does realize that we did beat them when all three of them played and Danny played as well.

    We lost to a better team, no big deal. There are a lot of things to throw mud at, this I agree with you on. However in this case maybe he should have kept silent about the talent level available to him. However since he didn't is it fair to then have people queston the coaching talent level as well?


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  13. #11
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,912

    Default Re: Today's Negative OB Quote

    Peck, yes I have heard O'Brien on several occasions take the blame for losses usually in his postgame press conference. I've heard him say he failed to have the team ready to play, I've heard him say that the coaches didn't do their job. And he has on several occasions openly questioned himself about his decisions when they didn't work out.

    To the general point of the thread. If our players are that senitive that their coach cannot point out the obvious that the Celtics are an excellent team well then we need new players.

    (this falls under the headling of I cannot believe what people will criticize a coach for - it gets soooooooo tiring - I get sick of it) And that is the main reason why I defend the coach so much - most of you probably think I love O'brien as a coach

    Peck, I don't believe Jim is a true believer in his system. Although I need to know what you mean by his system. Besides him believing in the three point shot - I don't see anything else that he either isn't willing to change or hasn't changed already. The offense he ran in Boston and Philly is vastly different from here. The defense the pacers are running this season is vastly different from what he ran in Boston and Philly or even what he ran his first two seasons here, in fact this is the third season in a row where he's changed the defensive system to a noticeable degree
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 12-23-2009 at 02:33 PM.

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  15. #12

    Default Re: Today's Negative OB Quote

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sometimes you guys slay me.

    What is he supposed to say? "Our players are great and with a different coach they'd all be All-Stars"? "Boston really is a mediocre team and we should have beaten them except we suck"?

    To me, what he said is accurate, truthful, and (unlike some I could mention) our players are likely mature enough not to take it as an insult.

    Pick on the things he says and doesn't follow through on, pick on his selection of lineups and lack of half-court solutions, but this is pretty minor if it is a problem at all.
    i would like him to take some of the blame once in a while and take responsibility for some of the decisions he makes, thats what great coaches do

  16. #13
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,912

    Default Re: Today's Negative OB Quote

    Quote Originally Posted by plutarch View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i would like him to take some of the blame once in a while and take responsibility for some of the decisions he makes, thats what great coaches do
    He does, I have heard him.

  17. #14
    Member RWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,346

    Default Re: Today's Negative OB Quote

    My problem with a coach making the 'we can't compete with those guys speech' is it usually leads to the players getting lazy and looking out for themselves. Oh what the heck we can't win, so I best work on my own shots for that new contract. To hell with team.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  18. #15
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,770

    Default Re: Today's Negative OB Quote

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He does, I have heard him.
    I'll defer to you. I honestly have not ever heard it but you listen to the post game far more than I do so I stand corrected.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  19. #16
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,912

    Default Re: Today's Negative OB Quote

    Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My problem with a coach making the is it usually leads to the players getting lazy and looking out for themselves. Oh what the heck we can't win, so I best work on my own shots for that new contract. To hell with team.
    I should just back out of this thread. But I don't think the comments he made are 'we can't compete with those guys speech'. he was just probably answering a question about the comeback. Really I thought Jim's comment was rather obvious, sort of like saying it was snowy and cold in Boston last night.

  20. #17
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,615

    Default Re: Today's Negative OB Quote

    Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yawn.
    lmao
    Sittin on top of the world!

  21. #18

    Default Re: Today's Negative OB Quote

    I agree with Peck. He blames shifts a lot and other comments lead me to believe that he throws his players under the bus.

    If he wanted to coach better players he should have not agreed to a contract extension.

  22. #19
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Today's Negative OB Quote

    I'm in the same ol' boat that Buck is in. I listen to the call-in show just about every game and subscribe to the podcast. I can't see how he is always scapegoating towards the players.

    There have been times he has taken responsibility for an outcome. Not so obvious to some people...more often than not.

  23. #20

    Default Re: Today's Negative OB Quote

    We’re not going to go into next year with the same team. Absolutely not," said O'Brien. "We need to improve our talent level. That goes without saying. If you said anything differently, everybody would expect us to have to have our head examined. You have to improve constantly in order to build."

    "We just have to improve. We had seven new players last year and I don't anticipate we'll have seven new (players) next year because we're very pleased with the type of guys we have representing us right now."

    Fact: We have improved the talent level through trades and the draft and we are still a bad team.
    Sometimes I wish he didn't say anything at all.
    http://www.examiner.com/x-3586-India...el--Jim-OBrien

  24. #21
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Today's Negative OB Quote

    Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We’re not going to go into next year with the same team. Absolutely not," said O'Brien. "We need to improve our talent level. That goes without saying. If you said anything differently, everybody would expect us to have to have our head examined. You have to improve constantly in order to build."

    Fact: We have improved the talent level through trades and the draft and we are still a bad team.

    http://www.examiner.com/x-3586-Indiana-Pacers-Examiner~y2009m4d21-We-need-to-improve-on-our-talen-level--Jim-OBrien
    What trades? We didn't make any trades this year.

  25. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Fishers, IN
    Posts
    445

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Today's Negative OB Quote

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sometimes you guys slay me.

    What is he supposed to say? "Our players are great and with a different coach they'd all be All-Stars"? "Boston really is a mediocre team and we should have beaten them except we suck"?

    To me, what he said is accurate, truthful, and (unlike some I could mention) our players are likely mature enough not to take it as an insult.

    Pick on the things he says and doesn't follow through on, pick on his selection of lineups and lack of half-court solutions, but this is pretty minor if it is a problem at all.
    Uh, sorry, but I disagree. What he is supposed to say is nothing, we had a lead of 15 and they turned it up a notch and we had NOTHING to answer.
    Sometimes it's the coach who makes the players. In this case, I believe it.
    One other thing: The Celtics were without their number one All Star, Garnett.
    My whole point is that OB seemingly has a demoralizing quote every game for every loss. Look at the Det Pistons, who currently are ahead of the Pacers in the standings with a rookie coach. Hardly much talent there (other than Gordon and Rip), yet that team is outperforming this team.
    And the coach is quietly making wine out of ripple.

  26. #23
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Today's Negative OB Quote

    Quote Originally Posted by special ed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Uh, sorry, but I disagree. What he is supposed to say is nothing, we had a lead of 15 and they turned it up a notch and we had NOTHING to answer.
    Sometimes it's the coach who makes the players. In this case, I believe it.
    One other thing: The Celtics were without their number one All Star, Garnett.
    My whole point is that OB seemingly has a demoralizing quote every game for every loss. Look at the Det Pistons, who currently are ahead of the Pacers in the standings with a rookie coach. Hardly much talent there (other than Gordon and Rip), yet that team is outperforming this team.
    And the coach is quietly making wine out of ripple.
    • Last time I checked Garnett didn't win them that title alone.
    • Each loss after loss is like an open wound without treatment. It's going to get bigger each time it's exposed. Why aren't O'Brien's quotes fitting then? If the play stinks, then everything stinks, right?
    • Pistons have a lot more talent on their team than we do. There is no doubt about that.
    • Sometimes I don't have enough money for wine, ripple does me just fine.

  27. #24
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,053

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Today's Negative OB Quote

    You folks do realize that not only was this likely in answer to a question but also there may well have been more in the answer that didn't fit the quote space needed for the story, right?

    It isn't like JOB called the press and read an unsolicited statement that was word-for-word exactly and only what was printed.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  29. #25
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,912

    Default Re: Today's Negative OB Quote

    Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We’re not going to go into next year with the same team. Absolutely not," said O'Brien. "We need to improve our talent level. That goes without saying. If you said anything differently, everybody would expect us to have to have our head examined. You have to improve constantly in order to build."

    "We just have to improve. We had seven new players last year and I don't anticipate we'll have seven new (players) next year because we're very pleased with the type of guys we have representing us right now."

    Fact: We have improved the talent level through trades and the draft and we are still a bad team.
    Sometimes I wish he didn't say anything at all.
    http://www.examiner.com/x-3586-India...el--Jim-OBrien


    I don't understand your point here. Which quote don't you agree with.

    I will say I think we have less talent this season than last season. Certainly we have less veteran talent this season

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 53
    Last Post: 01-19-2008, 07:25 PM
  2. MRI negative on Duncan's knee; he's out vs. Mavs [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-03-2007, 06:00 PM
  3. Something positive in all the negative.
    By efx in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-28-2004, 11:42 AM
  4. Strange observation in today's Oregonian
    By Roy Munson in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-17-2004, 01:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •