Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jazz trade rookie Eric Maynor to Oklahoma City

Default Re: Jazz trade rookie Eric Maynor to Oklahoma City

Quote Originally Posted by pacerDU View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is exactly why we need to hold onto Murphy until season's end. As hard as that may be to swallow, this trade goes to show just how highly teams value the ability to remove salary quickly.
    Um, NO. It shows we shouldn't move Murphy for a longer-term contract, sure. But if we could move him for an expiring then it's a no-brainer.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The sooner we get rid of Murphy or Ford's contract, the better. It gives us more flexibility going forward to make more favorable deals. If we hold onto them, we will be in Utah's place having to give up assets hand over fist in order to reduce payroll. This is exactly the reason we SHOULDN'T hold onto Murphy or Ford or Foster or Dunleavy. We need to supplant one of their contracts with a much smaller deal for next year or an expiring BEFORE next year. If we wait until next year the only thing we can do is get a smaller deal or pay a team under the cap to take on our salary with draft picks or young talent, just like in this deal. We need to trade somebody before THIS deadline, so that we are starting next year's cap figure with less money than we are lined up to pay right now. All because of the 125% + 100k rule and our strict avoidance of the LT. Morway has been great up to this point, so lets see what he does. I guarantee the Pacers will make a trade (or two) before the deadline.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not a bad deal for both teams. It's not like Maynor was ever going to start in Utah given that Dwill has that position locked up for the next 10 or so years.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Good to see him probably find a better role with OKC. They can use a backup PG.

Maybe now Kyle Weaver is on the block? He could come in and do better things than our PGs.
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

Way to go Jim, you may have just put our franchise back another 4+ years.

I don't get why people think this is a knock on Maynor, really. The owner probably looked at it like this .... we've got Deron Williams and he's going to play nearly the whole game. Then we're paying the luxury tax on 7.8 million dollars between the two of them. Which means they're really paying 15.6 million dollars for 2 guys who will play a whole 15 minutes per game.

Yeah ... I don't know of an owner who wouldn't be willing to make that trade.

-- Steve --

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Um, NO. It shows we shouldn't move Murphy for a longer-term contract, sure. But if we could move him for an expiring then it's a no-brainer.
    I think you're mixing up my perspective on this. I'm not referring to the Pacers saving money. I'm suggesting that we could get something pretty valuable for Murphy as his contract comes closer to expiring. Murph's contract WILL become an expiring and quite a large one at that.

We help another team out by trading Murph's expiring for a contract(s) they may want off their books. In exchange we get a player we covet. I don't have a problem with the Pacers taking on a long-term contract for Murph, as long as it's a player we want. I think this Maynor deal shows that teams are willing to give up value to save money.

If the Pacers hold onto Murph long enough to where his contract becomes an expiring deal, then we're in the driver's seat.
    Last edited by pacerDU; 12-23-2009 at 02:01 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to pacerDU For This Useful Post:

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

I think you're mixing up my perspective on this. I'm not referring to the Pacers saving money. I'm suggesting that we could get something pretty valuable for Murphy as his contract comes closer to expiring. Murph's contract WILL become an expiring and quite a large one at that.

We help another team out by trading Murph's expiring for a contract(s) they may want off their books. In exchange we get a player we covet. I don't have a problem with the Pacers taking on a long-term contract for Murph, as long as it's a player we want. I think this Maynor deal shows that teams are willing to give up value to save money.

If the Pacers hold onto Murph long enough to where his contract becomes an expiring deal, then we're in the driver's seat.
    The only problem with that is the team needing cap relief are usually prepared to offer a "star" that is either unhappy, againg, or posturing for a trade.

If said"superstar" was all that why would they trade him in the first place?
    Sittin on top of the world!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

DU... I agree with your sentiment, however, the perspective that I (and I believe Anthem) was taking is that we CURRENTLY need to make a deal to get rid of one of those four contracts before next year. We currently will be over the LT threshold next year. If we hold on to Murphy (or others), we will be forced to make a trade NEXT year for roughly the same amount of salary and we will be hard-pressed to get under the LT threshold. If however we are under the LT threshold by trading someone away THIS year, we will go into next year with the financial flexibility to make a deal like you suggest.

A deal like the one you suggest is a near perfect solution for our franchise going forward, but we will have to make a trade before we ever even think about a deal like that. It won't be possible to make that type of deal if we don't trade away one of our 2011 expirers this year. If that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Thesterovic View Post
    Maybe now Kyle Weaver is on the block? He could come in and do better things than our PGs.
    Weaver's not a PG though. That said, I do like him and think he has potential in the league as a defender on the wing. If we didn't have Dahntay already, I'd be interested in picking him up as a backup.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doddage For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    DU... I agree with your sentiment, however, the perspective that I (and I believe Anthem) was taking is that we CURRENTLY need to make a deal to get rid of one of those four contracts before next year. We currently will be over the LT threshold next year. If we hold on to Murphy (or others), we will be forced to make a trade NEXT year for roughly the same amount of salary and we will be hard-pressed to get under the LT threshold. If however we are under the LT threshold by trading someone away THIS year, we will go into next year with the financial flexibility to make a deal like you suggest.

A deal like the one you suggest is a near perfect solution for our franchise going forward, but we will have to make a trade before we ever even think about a deal like that. It won't be possible to make that type of deal if we don't trade away one of our 2011 expirers this year. If that makes sense.

I see what you're saying. I think I'd prefer to see TJ traded before Murph however due to Murph's expiring being more valuable. However I do understand that's easier said than done.

Right. But we'll still have plenty of expiring contracts... if Murph's only value is an expiring then he gives us what others (Dun, TJ, Foster) give us.

Far better to have the cap space now AND two years from now than to have it two years from now.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    Harpring didn't rule out a comeback until well after the season started. I think the Jazz were more than happy to pay him if he could play and be their version of Jeff Foster (not so much just rebounding, but as in the feisty, reliable role player off the bench that the coach likes). Now that he's done for the year officially, the owner certainly wasn't trying to keep him around plus pay the dollar for dollar on his deal since they're over the tax.

And if they didn't want to take on a long term deal, they had to do something to make it worth the other team's while. Since they have Deron and he'll never be supplanted, and since Maynor never has a shot to be anything but a 15-minute per game guy in Utah nor ever be a Barbosa/Jason Terry little guy at the SG, he was just that expendable sweetener.
    Fair enough, that may have been their rationale. Although the perspective of paying $13 millions to have Harpring filling the role of lockerroom statesman and energy/hustle 9th man scares me. Anyway, now that I think about it, I believe my assumption that they could get a better deal in the off-season was faulty. IIRC, the Nuggets had to give away their 2010 first round pick to the Grizzlies in order to dump Steven Hunter's contract (which is pretty smaller than Harpring's), so there's a good chance the Jazz just never had a less costly deal available.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Right. But we'll still have plenty of expiring contracts... if Murph's only value is an expiring then he gives us what others (Dun, TJ, Foster) give us.

Far better to have the cap space now AND two years from now than to have it two years from now.
    One more thing to add.......if we are to assume that TPTB want to avoid paying the Luxury Tax.....which ( pretty much ) is a given due to the Pacers Financial situation....how much value are going to get in moving one of our 2010-2011 Expiring contracts when Teams know that we have to do it ( or else face the prospect of paying the LT )?

For opposing Teams that would be interested in any of our 2010-2011 Expiring Contracts, it's an option......for the Pacers, moving one of the 2010-2011 Expiring Contract is not a choice.....it will be a requirement next season. This IMHO weakens our stance in any negotiations.....if we don't deal...we will be put in a position that we do not want to be in ( pay LT ).

IMHO....trying to move one of our 2010-2011 contracts now gives us more options....where we can take on an 2009-2010 Expiring contract and clear their contracts off the books now. If we wait til the 2010-2011 season.....it will only impact our Financial situation that season since we will have to ( likely ) take on a long-term contract that lasts beyond 2010-2011 season ( which is what we did with moving Croshere to Dallas for Marquis ).

As Anthem posted.....if we get an Expiring Contract deal for Murphy, Ford, Dunleavy or Foster now......it's something that TPTB should strongly consider.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

While cap space does give you the flexibility to make trades like this, I think you guys are overselling its value. Eric Maynor is a good young player - he has a 50/50 shot of becoming a solid role player at some point, a starter/sixth man type on a solid team. To me that's his ceiling. So while it's a good pick-up for the Thunder, it's not like its life changing. And imagine what a team like the Pacers would have to do to get into such a position. Move Dunleavy, Murphy, and Ford for scraps? Dump draft picks and other assets to convince teams to take on their bad contracts?

You guys really think it's such an obvious advantage to dump overpaid but decently talented players like Murph/Dunleavy/Ford AND to give up tradeable assets in order to put yourself in the position of stealing a decent young prospect three years in the future? The Thunder can take advantage of the position they're in, but they're only in this position because of mismanagement in the past.

You have to account for all their losing seasons, their bad trades, and their dumb decisions that forced them into their current position. And, with all that said, really the only reason they have a bright future is that they got lucky enough to have the second pick in a year when the first overall pick distracted a team like the Blazers from picking a once-every-five-year talent like Durant.
    Last edited by bulldog; 12-24-2009 at 02:38 PM.

Just FYI, the Jazz owner sent out a letter to season ticket holders regarding the Maynor deal to explain his rationale.

http://www.slcdunk.com/2009/12/28/12...ember-2009-131

Zach Harper asks some fair questions about the specifics and the owner's true commitment to going over the luxury tax, but my main takeaway from this was that it's pretty cool for an owner to try to breakdown exactly what he's thinking and not condescend people.

The NBA is weird in the sense that so many deals get made for purely financial reasons, and it's nice to see a small-market owner just say "Look, I'm not Paul Allen and we don't play in New York ... but I'm trying as much as bank account will allow."

Pretty cool.

(And, btw, I feel like Herb is pretty straight-forward about this stuff, too.)
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JayRedd For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Jazz about to make another move?

O'Connor Hints Jazz Are Close To Deal
    Jan 04, 2010 7:39 AM EST

Jazz general manager Kevin O'Connor suggests that a trade could be imminent.

O'Connor hinted to the Deseret News that he's spoken to multiple teams about trade possibilities and that a deal could go down as early as Tuesday.

not sure even who to speculate about, Boozer, maybe? AK47, there are a number of candidates.

Sports Logo

Default Re: Jazz about to make another move?

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    If we had expiring Contracts, Pacer Players that would make more sense for the Jazz to actually improve them for the Playoffs and there were Jazz Players that would make sense for the Pacers long term needs ( while not ruining ours and their Luxury Tax concerns ) .....I'd be like you. But since we don't have any Players that would make any sense for the Jazz and they don't want to part with any that would make sense for us, I'm not so sure what is causing you to

Now...if you are bored of Pacer Ball ( like me ) and are about this as a NBA Basketball fan....I too would wonder what Team ( other then the Pacers ) are working with the Jazz to make a trade happen.

Is there a Team in the League that is still under the Salary Cap for 2009-2010 enough to absorb most of Boozer's Salary?

I know that they have the Trade Exception from moving Maynor+Harpring....but I'm guessing that it won't cover enough of Boozer's Salary to get them under the Luxury Tax threshold. If there is, I'm guessing that Boozer is headed there. The Jazz have $82 mil owed for the 2009-2010 Salary Cap. At most IMHO, the Jazz are a 2nd round Playoff Team...and maybe ( if they are lucky ) good enough to be a Western Conference Team. Nowadays, we are looking at the Camby-like Deals and the one that sent Maynor and Harpring to OKC when it comes to deals that essentially are to avoid paying the LT. Either way, I'd guess that they are doing their best to get under the LT.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I've been looking at Maynor more since being traded to the Thunder. I've never thought Westbrook was great at the PG, so I see Maynor being the Thunders's PG with Westbrook taking Sefalosha's place at SG. Talk about falling into a trade that can set them up for the future. Why is it always some other team and never the Pacers?

I know Bird liked Ty Lawson, but my pick at PG was Maynor. Bird went with Tyler instead of either one.

I'm not saying I expect it, and I'm not even claiming either side would do it, but if you found out tomorrow we traded TJ for Okur, would you be happy, sad, or somewhere in between?

If you don't know, Okur makes $9,000,000 this year and has 2 more years after this. TJ makes $8,500,000 this year and next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I'm not saying I expect it, and I'm not even claiming either side would do it, but if you found out tomorrow we traded TJ for Okur, would you be happy, sad, or somewhere in between?

If you don't know, Okur makes $9,000,000 this year and has 2 more years after this. TJ makes $8,500,000 this year and next year.
    He's 30, 12.7 pts, 6.8 boards per game. 43% from the field, 36% from 3.

I'm not an interpreter, but I think Mehmet Okur loosely translated from Turkish means Troy Murphy?

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Trading a 2-year contract for a 3-year doesn't do much for me. Adding a 3-point-shooting big man doesn't either.

I'd only be interested if we were sending Okur to Houston or something.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Speed,

You're not wrong, but at least this one can play the 5 without it feeling as much like it's a SF trying to wear C's clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Anything of decent value would be fine with me, but why would the Hornets want Ford when they have CP and Collison at PG? It would leave the Hornets short on bigs and no starter at the 5.
    Okur, not Okafor. Think Utah.