Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bucks Postgame Thread: Hansbrough is too real

Default Bucks Postgame Thread: Hansbrough is too real

Ugly game, Ugly loss. I love that Tyler made our only two baskets in crunchtime. I also love how fearless he is. I love how he knocked Bogut over. I love how at the end of the game he patted TJ on the back as if to say "at least you were willing to take the shots, good job"

The first three pointer in crunchtime TJ ford took was a stupid shot. Dunleavy was saying afterwards "WE DON'T NEED A THREE" to TJ. Tj was just shaking his head. The smart play was to go for a quick two, considering the Bucks were shooting so poorly at the FT line.

As soon as the "O'brien" Era is over in Pacer land, things will turn around for this team. I will enjoy watching Hansbrough play and the progression of Hibbert for the rest of this season.
    Last edited by Jon Theodore; 12-21-2009 at 09:36 PM.
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon Theodore For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Bucks Postgame Thread: Hansbrough is too real

Also, I think the fact that Jackson is publicly complaining about how physical Hansbrough is, is reason enough for him to be my favorite Pacer since Reggie Miller. This guy has a chance to be huge for the Pacers, and for that reason alone I am excited about watching these games.

The key is a "quick" shot on the next to last possession. They jacked around to long throwing it around. By the time TJ went for the 3, it was arguably requried (4.2 seconds left).

On the last possession, why you wouldn't go Earl Watson for the 3 point shooting over TJ I have no idea.

Roy looked good. Rush decent. Tyler decent. Troy was solid 1st half then disappeared. Outside the three young guys, kind of disappointing.

I never felt like we made a concerted effort as a team to control the momentum or emotion in the second half. There were moments where individual players made nice efforts, but not the team playing inspired with purpose at the same time.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

5. The Following User Says Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

Am I the only one who had to suffer through those god awful Bucks announcers?

As for Hansbrough I was happy with how he adjusted his game offensively after missing his first three outside shots.
    Also it was awesome seeing him sub in on Bogut at the end of the game & then the Bucks immediately went to Bogut thinking they got a mismatch but he couldn't budge Hansbrough an inch when trying to back him down.
    He's going to be a real good positional defensive player.

I like the Brandon Rush I saw tonight. He at least seemed more aggressive on offense. Is that too much to ask?!

Dunleavy 2 - 17 from the field and had his shot blocked 5 times. Yikes. He looked tired and flat from the first possession to me. I spotted it immediately. His shooting looked like that was certainly the case.

Hansbrough .... I think I'm developing a man crush.

-- Steve --

I just did a fantasy draft on NBA 2k10 and here is my starting line-up

Calderon
    D. Jones
    Granger
    Hansbrough
    Nene

and we are killing it. Someone tell Larry Bird.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Theodore For This Useful Post:

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Good solid game for Tyler, I thought. Roy was a beast, again. Just too much Bogut....
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

If Dunleavy had hit any of his shots, we win this game.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

I agree, it just hurts me deep in my blue and yellow heart to see Murph out there instead of Hansbrough, well really, instead of Soloman or anyone for that matter. Yes, I am one of those guys who thinks he should never be on the floor outside of spot minutes in the first half only when matchups are favorable. But Hansbrough needs to be starting, not because the season is a bust, but because he is so much better than Murph.

TJ is so frustrating, he plays like he is always thinking he can't do anything right. Psychology in sports is a huge factor IMO, and TJ really needs some counseling or at least a class on positive thinking or something. He plays like he expects to lose and expects to miss every shot. He can't be on the floor in crunch time with that mentality. You put your warriors on the floor in crunch time, the guys with the eye of the tiger. That isn't TJ or Murph.

None of this is going to change with Jim. He will continually miss all the important clues about chemistry, body language, and the psychology of winning and losing in his players. On top of all his other bad qualities such as the infamous fast break jumpshooting offense, not being able to see the issues I stated is a killer. I applaud him for getting a new starting 5, but I care much less about the starting 5 than I do the finishing 5... Plus Murph is still in both /bangheadonwall... The sooner we get a new coach the better, if anything just to get the guys used to a new system and acclimated to a new coach for next year.

It really sucks when I don't feel as upset with losses as I normally do, I just expect them now..

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to B00sh For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Dunleavy had hit any of his shots, we win this game.
    Physical issues, and 3rd game in 4 days is enough of an explanation to me. Gotta expect him to struggle when we're not getting time off.

-- Steve --

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    Roy looked good. Rush decent. Tyler decent. Troy was solid 1st half then disappeared. Outside the three young guys, kind of disappointing.
    You talking about tonight's game or the season as a whole?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post

TJ is so frustrating, he plays like he is always thinking he can't do anything right. Psychology in sports is a huge factor IMO, and TJ really needs some counseling or at least a class on positive thinking or something. He plays like he expects to lose and expects to miss every shot. He can't be on the floor in crunch time with that mentality. You put your warriors on the floor in crunch time, the guys with the eye of the tiger. That isn't TJ or Murph.
    Yes and no.

TJ has the eye of the tiger. He doesn't hit his final shots all that much, but he is confident. The problem is that he doesn't make good decisions down the stretch. In fact, he makes BAD decisions and he is the POINT GUARD.

We can't afford to have him in the game as point guard down the stretch. Not only that, but his defense against Brandon Jennings wasn't that good. It was okay, in that he tried. But, again, his instincts and judgment are horrible and Watson would have been much more effective on Jennings at the end.

Why didn't Jim O'Stubborn play Watson at the end? I ask you why? TJ caused this team to lose points way before the final two minutes. Watson has apparently won the starting position, but for the last two games has not gotten in the game down the stretch. (And I believe that is the KEY reason we lost both games.) Why? Isn't he the better player? Isn't it obvious that TJ is struggling?

I'm serious. Why? Does JOS promise TJ before games that he'll play at the end because he's not starting? Does anyone have a good explanation?

Another problem: Roy was our best player tonight and he can't get minutes down the stretch. I haven't looked at the plus minus but I bet JOS has our worst players in the category in the game at the end.

He's a terrible floor coach. I'm so over it.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

19. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Yes and no.

TJ has the eye of the tiger. He doesn't hit his final shots all that much, but he is confident. The problem is that he doesn't make good decisions down the stretch. In fact, he makes BAD decisions and he is the POINT GUARD.

We can't afford to have him in the game as point guard down the stretch. Not only that, but his defense against Brandon Jennings wasn't that good. It was okay, in that he tried. But, again, his instincts and judgment are horrible and Watson would have been much more effective on Jennings at the end.

Why didn't Jim O'Stubborn play Watson at the end? I ask you why? TJ caused this team to lose points way before the final two minutes. Watson has apparently won the starting position, but for the last two games has not gotten in the game down the stretch. (And I believe that is the KEY reason we lost both games.) Why? Isn't he the better player? Isn't it obvious that TJ is struggling?

I'm serious. Why? Does JOS promise TJ before games that he'll play at the end because he's not starting? Does anyone have a good explanation?

Another problem: Roy was our best player tonight and he can't get minutes down the stretch. I haven't looked at the plus minus but I bet JOS has our worst players in the category in the game at the end.

He's a terrible floor coach. I'm so over it.
    Ok, I can see that with TJ from the viewpoint of.. at least he has the guts to take the shot... but he misses them all, that's where I think the mindstate is coming in. He expects to miss them, but feels obligated to keep shooting them or something. I just get the feeling he is in loser mode, and he doesn't have to be. Being in loser mode also affects his decisions as well, such as we saw with the wide open jump shot/change his mind in mid air and try pass it back for a turnover play we saw. He is playing scared to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    Ok, I can see that with TJ from the viewpoint of.. at least he has the guts to take the shot... but he misses them all, that's where I think the mindstate is coming in. He expects to miss them, but feels obligated to keep shooting them or something. I just get the feeling he is in loser mode, and he doesn't have to be. Being in loser mode also affects his decisions as well, such as we saw with the wide open jump shot/change his mind in mid air and try pass it back for a turnover play we saw.
    I don't care about TJ's mindset or whether he's in "loser mode" or not.

I care that JOS keeps him in the game down the stretch when:

- He makes bad choices as a point guard
    - He turns the ball over too much at critical times
    - He plays bad defense

AND he misses so many clutch shots. If he was 50/50 down the stretch, that's one thing. This year he's about, what, 1 for 8?

So, this is not about TJ's mindset. It's about Jim O'Stubborn's refusal to do the obvious: put his starter Earl Watson in the game.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by B00sh View Post
    It really sucks when I don't feel as upset with losses as I normally do, I just expect them now..
    Agreed x1000. This was my first game attending this year. Roy is progressing, but I don't think he is as far as some people on this board do. He made Bogut look like a HOF'er. Roy is still one of the 5 worst centers in the league, but getting better. TJ is one of the 5 worst starting PG's in the league, and getting worse.

I do like the effort I see on this team. Hansbrough and Hibbert played very hard, dove for balls and showed up like they cared. Watson also made a nice hustle play.

TJ on the other hand is terrible. It is almost comically bad how poor our pg play has been in the past decade. Our last decent starting pg was Mark Jackson and that seems like forever ago. Tinsley was awful and sickening and Ford is much the same way. TJ is probably pouting after not starting the past two games or something pathetic like that.

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    TJ is probably pouting after not starting the past two games or something pathetic like that.
    I think that is why JOS has played him down the stretch the past two games, even though he has been terrible and basically lost both games for us.

I can't think of any other reason.

Roy is still one of the 5 worst centers in the league..

MY A$

lol come on now.. one of the worst 5 ?? That's harsh man..

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

Mood

I was thinking maybe we are playing for the draft already? Who really knows. By the way, before tonights game Ford was shooting .045% from 3 for the season.

hey guys, the bulls were up by 35 once, and up by 20 in the 4th and just lost to the kings so dont feel sooo bad.

McKey fan,
    Well yea, there is so much bad to talk about, TJ's mindset is what I was thinking about after the game. I agree with you about our coach. There is so much fail this season by Jim, I have been wondering why his "system" never works. Why his groupings on the floor have so many issues. It is a multifaceted mindf*** where poor coaching, player discontent, losing attitude and back to a failure by the coach to recognize the problems, let alone see the obvious solutions (like not playing TJ and Murph in the 4th quarter or at least the last 5 mins). It feeds on itself and the more we lose the worse it gets.

I say all this with the belief that this team actually could be sort of decent. That if we put the right combinations of guys on the floor they can succeed.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post

MY A$

lol come on now.. one of the worst 5 ?? That's harsh man..

Yes, one of the worst 5. People get too caught up in offense. Yes, he is developing an offensive game, but is still very inconsistent. He however still can hardly move and plays little defense. If he made Bogut look mortal tonight we would have won.

I was thinking maybe we are playing for the draft already? Who really knows. By the way, before tonights game Ford was shooting .045% from 3 for the season.
    He shot two threes to try and tie the game.

Here's a positive way to look at it: if he had shot 21 three pointers in the last 18 seconds, he actually WOULD have tied it up.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This season is somewhat tedious already.

This team will probably finish around 31-51, unless they make a trade or figure out how to utilize Granger much better than they already are. It is a real testament to way your team is coached when you've got an All-Star on your team like Granger and he doesn't really even appear to make your team a heck of a lot better.

All I can hope for this season is to watch Tyler and Roy develop, and maybe hope that at some point Brandon Rush decides to wake up on the offensive end, even though his defense has been great to watch at some points.

In order for this season to be interesting at all, you're going to have to watch the games within the games (i.e. Tyler and Roy's play).
    Already stoked for 2013-2014.

Agreed x1000. This was my first game attending this year. Roy is progressing, but I don't think he is as far as some people on this board do. He made Bogut look like a HOF'er. Roy is still one of the 5 worst centers in the league, but getting better. TJ is one of the 5 worst starting PG's in the league, and getting worse.

I do like the effort I see on this team. Hansbrough and Hibbert played very hard, dove for balls and showed up like they cared. Watson also made a nice hustle play.

TJ on the other hand is terrible. It is almost comically bad how poor our pg play has been in the past decade. Our last decent starting pg was Mark Jackson and that seems like forever ago. Tinsley was awful and sickening and Ford is much the same way. TJ is probably pouting after not starting the past two games or something pathetic like that.

I was courious about this so I just looked up centers. I would put him in the top 15. If he gets the Green light to take his shot he has been scoring over 15 a game. On the season he is at 10 and 6 in 22 min. That puts him high on the list and if you give him another 10 min a game I see his production go even higher. If O'brien continues to give him the green light like the past few games I see him averaging 15 and 8 or so for the season which is amazing for a second year center.

But that is a BIG IF. It all is on JOB and if gives hibbert the freedom to play his game.

Now on defense that is a TOTALLY different story.