Thread: The 4th Quarter Is the Real Problem the Pacers Have Been Struggling

Default The 4th Quarter Is the Real Problem the Pacers Have Been Struggling

I've noticed the Pacers have been absolutely horrible in the last 3 games. Well, I guess you guys know that, too. But look at this box score of the Pacers against there opponents of the last 3 games:

They've been struggling mostly in the fourth quarter, and pretty much the whole second half actually.

For more of this, click here. All of this has been crazy!

Let me know what you guys think....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mood

Default Re: The 4th Quarter Is the Real Problem the Pacers Have Been Struggling

The 1st looks almost as bad as the 4th.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm not sure how being outscored 18 points in the 4th quarter is statistically more significant than being outscored 16 points in the first. I suspect your sample size is too small.

The problem in my mind is that we have the gas to play 3 quarters, and the bad one is what kills us. The only quarter we seem to handle well is the second.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

It's because of the rotation.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This roster is not a "bang-it-out in crunch-time" type of roster. We can't play hard man defense with half the guys that play in the fourth (and our starting lineup for that manner). Rush is not out there and neither is DJones for the most part, because neither is reliable offensively. Our coach wants to outscore teams, and outscoring teams in crunch time is how you shoot your way to a .500 record at best (but half of that philosophy is because of the lack of talent). When the game slows down and we are forced to make stops, we on average cannot maintain that level of defense. When we work the shot clock, we end up with a TJ Ford drive, which is a fifty-fifty possession at best. I am not saying that he's bad in that scenario, and he is probably our second best ISO player offensively. No matter how you break it down, when possessions take longer in the waning moments of the game, we are less effective on both ends of the court.

This is considerably less compelling when you consider that 14 of the 18 point deficit came against the Spurs.

The other two games were clearly blown in the third.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to count55 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

You have to wonder how much Production is coming from each Player in the 4th QTR.

It's been noted several times before, but I think how many minutes JO'B uses Murphy and ( specifically ) WHEN he uses him affects his play and his overall scoring production in the 2nd half...most notably in the 4th QTR and the end of the game when things get more physical. The more Murphy plays in the 1st 3 QTRs, the more he runs back and forth...the more tired his legs are....and the less lift he has in his legs and therefore can't effectively shoot when we really need him. This translates into less offensive production from one of our key Players that we heavily rely upon in the 4th QTR.

Yeah....I went there....when all else fails.....blame JO'B.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We simply need to ask Stern if we can play 4 2nd quarters.