Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: If you could permanently change the name from "Pacers", what would it be?

Default If you could permanently change the name from "Pacers", what would it be?

Calling this team the Pacers was always a little off to me. Don't get me wrong, I've grown up with it and the cool part is I think of the franchise 9/10 times (the 1 being the car).

But listening to a Bill Simmons podcast where he and another guy were discussing new names for the New Jersey Nets pending their move to Brooklyn, I started to wonder what we would choose today if we got a "do over" on the name of this franchise.

To play along, assume you can't keep "Pacers". Also, you can change it from "Indiana" to "Indianapolis" if you wish.

What are some ideas, and what is your thinking behind it?

I will share my own thoughts, but I want to think about it for a while first.

Default Re: If you could permanently change the name from "Pacers", what would it be?

Indiana Sad Ants?

Default Re: If you could permanently change the name from "Pacers", what would it be?

I really had to think about this one. The Mels would be interesting, maybe. In honor of Mel Simon. I'm not good at this stuff. The Who's Ears? The Twisters (All the tornadoes). I'll try to come up with some good ones. But it would be neat if the team name referred to in Indiana. Like the Limestones, the Interstate, Larry Bird.
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

Way to go Jim, you may have just put our franchise back another 4+ years.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I'd consider something related to creating the sport:

The Naismiths
    The Inventors
    The Creators
    The Peachbaskets

There's the tradition of great coaches:

The Woodens
    The Chair Throwers
    The Game Faces

The Birds

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

The Indianapolis Stallions.
    It makes a pairing with the Colts, gives us a logo other than a giant letter "P", and allows for easier marketing and branding. You could go with horse racing, wild horses, etc.

Since our state is named after the Indians, you could really confuse everyone as the Indianapolis Miami after the Miami Indians who used to live in this territory. Specifically, the Miami land included what is now present-day Indianapolis. Obvious possibilities for themes and logos. Yeah, it'd never work. But I like the idea while acknowledging the flaws.

On the racing front, there's the Indianapolis Speed. If you hate the Heat or the Jazz, you'll REALLY hate the Speed!

I'm only really behind the first idea, but I didn't want to stop at one idea for the time being.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I know its a college school name but i like Indiana Hoosiers.

its plain and simple, straight to the point.
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Indiana Sad Ants?
    Awesome.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Indiana Pride
    Indiana Lightning
    Indiana Maze
    Indianapolis Steel

Mood

The Nap Town Ballers

10. The Following User Says Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    It makes a pairing with the Colts, gives us a logo other than a giant letter "P", and allows for easier marketing and branding. You could go with horse racing, wild horses, etc.

Since our state is named after the Indians, you could really confuse everyone as the Indianapolis Miami after the Miami Indians who used to live in this territory. Specifically, the Miami land included what is now present-day Indianapolis. Obvious possibilities for themes and logos. Yeah, it'd never work. But I like the idea while acknowledging the flaws.

On the racing front, there's the Indianapolis Speed. If you hate the Heat or the Jazz, you'll REALLY hate the Speed!

I'm only really behind the first idea, but I didn't want to stop at one idea for the time being.
    The Indianapolis Speed Presented by Pacers Digest

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post

-snip-
    Considering a Pacer is a type of "race horse", why not just update the logo with a race horse when it comes to our next update. That way you can come up with something fresh while keeping the name.

Kinda like when the Mavericks went from the 10 gallon Stetson hat to the horse head as their logo. Same name, new expression.

As for a new name... That kinda makes my head hurt.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I want you all to know that these names are horrible. Pacers is unique and it fits in with the city. I can't think of anything better, and I'm not going to try.

PS: Making the name fit in with something like the Colts is laughable. I love the Colts, but that name should have stayed in Baltimore imo. When teams move, the names should change.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I won't even consider the question. Would you rename the Cowboys? The Yankees? The Red Wings?

The Pacers name was invented for the team, it is good and it is perfect as far as I'm concerned. Sure this can be a fun game. BUT - It stands next to "what should I rename my firstborn child" in the Misguided Boredom Hall of Fame.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

OH - and it PREDATES the Indianapolis association with the "Colts" brand, which was SHAMEFULLY STOLEN from another city.
    Last edited by Los Angeles; 12-21-2009 at 12:44 AM.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:

I'll say the Indiana Spiders.

I live in Charlotte and have never been to Indiana, so I can't say if ya'll have a large spider population or not. However, I've always thought that you could make the sickest uniforms ever with the "Spiders".

Have like a web on the court and all, it would be pretty pimp if I say so myself.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like the Pacers name. I just wish they'd never named one of the ugliest cars ever built the same name.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

THE BEST BASKETBALL TEAM EVER!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    OH - and it PREDATES the Indianapolis association with the "Colts" brand, which was SHAMEFULLY STOLEN from another city.
    It's no more "shamefully stolen" than the SF Giants, LA Dodgers, LA Lakers, Utah Jazz, St. Louis Rams, Atlanta Braves, Houston Rockets, Arizona Cardinals, New Orleans Hornets, Sacramento Kings, LA Clippers, Atlanta Hawks, and Detroit Pistons names are. All of these places are using names that were invented in another city, yet none of them have taken near as much flack for it as Indy has with keeping the Colts name. I don't hear many people complaining that Los Angeles stole the Laker name from Minneapolis.

It's a part of professional sports. Teams move all the time and frequently keep their old name because it's easier to do. Yet for some reason, the Indianapolis Colts get accused of "stealing" the name more than any other moved franchise.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 12-21-2009 at 02:09 AM.

22. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I want you all to know that these names are horrible.
    Can I get that Official Declaration signed and notarized, please?

With me I'm used to Pacers so it can't be replaced.

However, going along with the thred idea I would keep the name Indiana instead of changing to Indianapolis. As for a nickname . . . nothing comes to me I like.

Circle City Steamwheelers.

Indiana Speed makes sense. Considering the lack of marketing outside of I465 I think Indianapolis Speed might be more appropriate.

You can make several comparisons to other teams that have moved and use that to justify the Colts keeping their name but IMHO that was a mistake and just because others have done it doesn't make it right. The Baltimore Ravens was a better solution than the the Baltimore Browns... and it left the name Browns available for Cleveland (which is how it should be). In fact, I think one of the things a league should look to protect is a team's name to its city. It might slow down some questionable moves if an owner knew he couldn't take the 'brand' with him. At the least it isn't the same slap in the face to fans in the old city.

It also means a team gets a clean slate and fresh start in their new city. I think the Colts had to overcome not only a lack of talent on the field but an identity crisis that hamstrung them for years... (altho at this point that stuff is in the rearview mirror... Most fans now probably never saw the "Baltimore" Colts outside of anywhere except an old documentary...)

I say that to say to explain why I couldn't go with any name that has the idea of tagging on with the Colts. Honestly... what connection does Indiana have with horses/colts in the first place??

And saying that... why are we the Pacers either? I know it was a compromise based on Pace car and pacer 'horses' (harness racing), but there's not much history there anyway. But at this point... why change? It's established.... (Just as the 'Indianapolis' Colts are now).

But if we HAD to change names I think leaving 'horses' in the rearview mirror would be a fine plan. ...And latching onto the Indianapolis 500 tradition would be a fine place to start looking for a new name.
    Last edited by Bball; 12-21-2009 at 02:36 AM.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Indiana Speed makes sense. Considering the lack of marketing outside of I465 I think Indianapolis Speed might be more appropriate.

You can make several comparisons to other teams that have moved and use that to justify the Colts keeping their name but IMHO that was a mistake and just because others have done it doesn't make it right. The Baltimore Ravens was a better solution than the the Baltimore Browns... and it left the name Browns available for Cleveland (which is how it should be). In fact, I think one of the things a league should look to protect is a team's name to its city. It might slow down some questionable moves if an owner knew he couldn't take the 'brand' with him. At the least it isn't the same slap in the face to fans in the old city.

It also means a team gets a clean slate and fresh start in their new city. I think the Colts had to overcome not only a lack of talent on the field but an identity crisis that hamstrung them for years... (altho at this point that stuff is in the rearview mirror... Most fans probably never saw the "Baltimore" Colts outside of anywhere except an old documentary...)

I say that to say to explain why I couldn't go with any name that has the idea of tagging on with the Colts. Honestly... what connection does Indiana have with horses/colts in the first place??

And saying that... why are we the Pacers either? I know it was a compromise based on Pace car and pacer 'horses' (harness racing), but there's not much history there anyway. But at this point... why change? It's established.... (Just as the 'Indianapolis' Colts are now).

But if we HAD to change names I think leaving 'horses' in the rearview mirror would be a fine plan. ...And latching onto the Indianapolis 500 tradition would be a fine place to start looking for a new name.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

The Indiana BBallers? Or going along with texting and how people shorten words how about the . . . Indy P's? (giggle)

I like the Indiana Speed that Bball suggested.

The Indiana Jones. (I'm kidding, I swear.)