Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Murphy on the Cavs' radar

Default Murphy on the Cavs' radar

Not that we haven't discussed this, but I thought some would enjoy seeing it in the Cleveland press:

Troy Murphy, Pacers: According to multiple sources, there's an interest from both parties for the prototypical stretch forward. Murphy hasn't been on the best terms with the Pacers, who are losing lots of money and still owe Murphy $12 million next year. Murphy is averaging 13 points and nine rebounds this season and the 6-11 big man is a career 40 percent 3-point shooter. Those are good numbers but perhaps not enough for the Pacers, who have a losing record and a $65 million payroll.

The downside to Murphy is that he's not a good defender. But he would fit well on the floor with Anderson Varejao or Shaquille O'Neal because of his ability to hit the outside jumper. Plus he's an excellent pick-and-pop player, which makes him a good match to play with James and Mo Williams in halfcourt situations.

Murphy may not be the Cavs' first choice, but he's probably going to be one of the best players available and it is something the team is already studying.
    http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index...._assess_r.html

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DrFife For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Murphy on the Cavs' radar

Z and Hickson for Murphy. Make it happen!

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wonder what they mean about Troy not being on the best terms with the Pacers?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

think it's more referring to his bad contract. exaggerative journalism at its best.

"Prototypical stretch forward."

Have we ever seen those three words put together like that before?

And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "Prototypical stretch forward."

Have we ever seen those three words put together like that before?

I've seen it plenty of times on NBA boards to describe outside shooting big men.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostwolf View Post
    Z and Hickson for Murphy. Make it happen!
    Bag of Fritos and a ballboy for Murphy. Make it happen.

FWTFIW, they're not getting rid of Z.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post

FWTFIW, they're not getting rid of Z or Hickson.
    fyp

No, we've already got a ball boy on the roster, don't need another one. I'll take the Fritos, though.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by MLB007 View Post
    I've seen it plenty of times on NBA boards to describe outside shooting big men.
    Yep. It gets said of players who get a lot more respect than Murphy does. such as here:

Stretch fours. Rashad Lewis is the prototypical stretch four, a 6'10" 'power' forward who last season led the NBA in three point attempts and three pointers made, and who, since he arrived in Orlando, has taken about half of his shots from beyond the three point arc. And when Lewis sits down, the Magic bring in Ryan Anderson, a 6'10" 'power' forward who takes more threes per minute than Lewis, and is making a higher percentage this season as well.

http://www.clipsnation.com/2009/12/8...view?ref=yahoo
    I'm not sure what this says.

Maybe it says Murphy is a legitimate (!) NBA player with a role that the league recognizes and respects, rather than some incapable freak that we're stuck with here in Indiana.

Or maybe it just emphasizes the fact that the names of the positions on a basketball team are pretty meaningless. Those who say Troy is inept as a power forward maybe should remember than he ISN'T a power forward at all. Judged as a stretch forward, he isn't all that bad. On the offensive end, anyway.

And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Putnam For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    No, we've already got a ball boy on the roster, don't need another one. I'll take the Fritos, though.
    OK - as long as they're the Frito Scoops (best munchie invention).

I'm not a Murphy hater. It wasn't the Pacers that gave him that contract. He just signed it - with a damn big smile on his face. As far as the trade to get him, it was part of the purge process that the team had to go thru. They knew they'd have to take bad contracts in return for what they were getting rid of.

Now, looking at Cleveland's roster/payroll ............ man .......... it's tough to come up with a decent trade that would work for both. Troy is 11.5. Sure - Z for Troy would work, but they're not getting rid of Z simply because Shaq can't go 30+ every night. They're not getting rid of Varejao or Williams. That puts a trade in a 2-1 at least and the Pacers have enough guaranteeds on the books to kill that idea.

The only thing I see is Z, but I just don't see them moving him. Troy can't play center. Varejao COULD, but not effectively. I dunno.

There seems to be more talk about Randolph from the Warriors.

You know this is the second time this season we have read that there is some type of friction between Murphy and the Pacers. Earlier this season another non-Indiana based news site said that he was unhappy about having to share time with Tyler.

However none of the local media is saying this.

I wonder where they are getting this from? I just don't see how the guy could be even slightly disgruntled because he gets more min. on the floor than almost anyone.

The only thing is maybe he wasn't happy not being listed as a core player being taken to the future with and figures he is on the countdown here in Indiana till his contract ends.

Either way it's kind of odd.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

OK - as long as they're the Frito Scoops (best munchie invention).

I'm not a Murphy hater. It wasn't the Pacers that gave him that contract. He just signed it - with a damn big smile on his face. As far as the trade to get him, it was part of the purge process that the team had to go thru. They knew they'd have to take bad contracts in return for what they were getting rid of.

Now, looking at Cleveland's roster/payroll ............ man .......... it's tough to come up with a decent trade that would work for both. Troy is 11.5. Sure - Z for Troy would work, but they're not getting rid of Z simply because Shaq can't go 30+ every night. They're not getting rid of Varejao or Williams. That puts a trade in a 2-1 at least and the Pacers have enough guaranteeds on the books to kill that idea.

The only thing I see is Z, but I just don't see them moving him. Troy can't play center. Varejao COULD, but not effectively. I dunno.

There seems to be more talk about Randolph from the Warriors.
    You might want to pass this note along to our coach seeing as how Troy now plays a good portion of the game at center.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Murphy for Z, Danny Green, and cash to help buyout Z's contract. That way he can go back to Cleveland. Seems good for both teams.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    You know this is the second time this season we have read that there is some type of friction between Murphy and the Pacers. Earlier this season another non-Indiana based news site said that he was unhappy about having to share time with Tyler.

However none of the local media is saying this.

I wonder where they are getting this from? I just don't see how the guy could be even slightly disgruntled because he gets more min. on the floor than almost anyone.

The only thing is maybe he wasn't happy not being listed as a core player being taken to the future with and figures he is on the countdown here in Indiana till his contract ends.

Either way it's kind of odd.
    Just maybe he visits this board and reads all of the negative comments . That alone would make anyone unhappy.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    Yep. It gets said of players who get a lot more respect than Murphy does. such as here:

I'm not sure what this says.

Maybe it says Murphy is a legitimate (!) NBA player with a role that the league recognizes and respects, rather than some incapable freak that we're stuck with here in Indiana.

Or maybe it just emphasizes the fact that the names of the positions on a basketball team are pretty meaningless. Those who say Troy is inept as a power forward maybe should remember than he ISN'T a power forward at all. Judged as a stretch forward, he isn't all that bad. On the offensive end, anyway.

Excellent usage of the word "legitimate"! Mr. Murphy is under contract with a franchise of the National Basketball Association, and apparently there are people who value his dominant offensive trait, being that of a tall player who can shoot three point field goals! Kudos to you, sir!

The excitement and anticipation regarding your future posts continues to intensify! Flip the page in your "Word of the Day" book / calendar, and let the wonder that is the discovery of the true meaning of the next word presented there begin to manifest itself within your soul! Godspeed to you, my good man, an entire lexicon awaits!

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

They will trade Z to a team that will buy him out and then the Cavs will resign him. The Ps would have no interest in Z beyond his expiring contract.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to MyFavMartin For This Useful Post:

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

What's interesting is that the Cavs picked Christian Eyenga at #30 in last year's draft and instead could have gone with DeJuan Blair or Chase Budinger, both of whom could be thrown-ins in trades like these and allow them to keep Hickson.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by iPACER View Post
    They will trade Z to a team that will buy him out and then the Cavs will resign him. The Ps would have no interest in Z beyond his expiring contract.
    Perfect. We may be the one throwing in extra cash. I would love to get their late first rounder too rather than getting anything other than Hickson from their end.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by GuffeyRay View Post
    Just maybe he visits this board and reads all of the negative comments . That alone would make anyone unhappy.
    Maybe we could get O'Brien to come here and read our comments then. He might find himself at odds with the direction of the franchise as he did in Boston and just resign.

A new coach might play Murphy within a defensive concept that enhances his play defensively as opposed to exposing his lack of quickness when he is away from the basket more than about 10 to 12 feet, causing players to blow by him due to not being able to resist a chance to proceed to drive from the perimeter to about 5 feet from the basket virtually unmolested, and with a generally foul prone Roy, injured and aging Foster, or the rookie Hansbrough being the last line of defense.

They must if they asked about Murphy. How else you going to match his salary? Unless they are trying to deal some combination of AV, West, and Gibson.

As someone said whoever gets Big Z will cut him so he can go back to the Cavs. I'd be fine with that. Just give the Pacers a second round pick so they have a little something left.

Still I have doubts the Cavs take on Murphy.

I'm suprised to see Antwan Jamison mentioned in trade rumors. Granted Washington is pretty bad.

The Pacers could buy out Z's contract, or their could be a 3rd team involved that buys out Z's contract and send us a player.

Not sure which teams may be looking cut payroll, or who might be available, but there are plenty of options.

Thing is does Troy playing well make the odds better or worse when it comes to him being traded?

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Are we actually sure that it is not the huge nor'easter that is burying our major east coast cities that is on the Cleveland radar?

Or, could it possibly be Santa Claus? Lebron has been such a good boy this year that Santa might pay him an early visit, bringing lots of toys and goodies on his sleigh!

Nah, probably wouldn't be Santa Claus, it would probably be Santa Shaq riding around with his 22" rims! My bad...

Cleveland would be a good fit for Murph. The guy does have skills, even though we knock him. It's just that he's a terrible fit with what we need based on the rest of our roster.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

31. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    Are we actually sure that it is not the huge nor'easter that is burying our major east coast cities that is on the Cleveland radar?
    You might be on to something here. Slow moving, white, not sure what you're gonna get out of it ................ possible, I suppose.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post: