Thread: Post-lottery trade with Nets

Default Post-lottery trade with Nets

I might have stolen this idea from someone, but it seems like a moderately likely scenario.

This assumes that the Nets get the #1 pick and want John Wall.

Pacers get:

Devin Harris

Nets get:

Pacers 1st round pick (7-10, I'm guessing)
    TJ Ford

Nets why: They get the best player in the draft and don't have to worry about him duplicating the best player on their roster. They get cap relief in 2011 which they'll like if they're able to land a 2010 free agent. They also can pick up a scoring wing or an athletic PF (both of which they sorely need).

Pacers why: With Granger and Harris, you can win in 2010 and still have enough expirings (Murphy, Dunleavy, Foster) to trade for another high level player or get significant cap space in the offseason. Harris is light years better than any PG in this draft outside of John Wall. Harris also has a very nice longterm deal for a borderline all-star PG.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Post-lottery trade with Nets

Devin is an All Star. If we could get him for that, I'd be satisfied.

But I also know that we'd be giving up a draft pick that could land Ed Davis.

We need a post presence to deal with the Amares and Zach Randolphs of the league, but PG is also the most important position, which needs to be addressed, if possible, for the long-term.

Oh, how awful this experiment would end up going. This entire board would turn on Harris before Thanksgiving. In his only all-star season he averaged 21 points (on 43% shooting), and seven assists (playing with Vince Carter, and Brook Lopez). He has absolutely no range. He totally doesn't fit what we do. Actually, he doesn't fit what we do for the exact same reason T.J. doesn't fit what we do. They are actually very similar players, though, Harris does get the nod on the defensive end. I see him shooting about 40% and averaging about 4 assists per game on this team. No way would I do this trade.
    "Ever wonder what it's like to wonder what it's like to wonder, they get up out of bed but can't awaken from their slumber, they know what they've been told by those who know what they've been told, you see this hand me down knowledge generated ages ago, and I know what they've been told because I've been told the same thing, I had to broaden my horizons to expand on greater things..." Many Styles

I'm skeptical. I'm not sold on Devin Harris. Plus he's got injury tendencies. True he's an upgrade over our current points, but I have the same general feel about this one as I have about the Felton one. Neither guys is proven in my mind and I think Felton may be closer to traditional PG skills.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

I'd rather keep the pick than trade for Harris.