View Poll Results: How does this season's Magic team compare to last season's NBA finalist?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • This season's team is better

16 48.48%
  • Last season's team is better

6 18.18%
  • The two are about the same

8 24.24%
  • Uncertain

3 9.09%
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: 12/14/2009 Game Thread #22: Pacers at Magic

Default Re: 12/14/2009 Game Thread #22: Pacers at Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Brandon missed those 2 clutch threes at the end. And then we saw with Vince and Rashard why they make the big bucks and Brandon never will. Clutchness. But besides that I am happy with Brandon, he just should not be expected to make the key baskets in crunch time and if we had Danny out there, he wouldn't have had that problem.

He is not Vince Carter or Rashard Lewis on offense. He is what he is, a good role player. One thing I noticed is that he would run through all these screens and be moving quite well, only to catch the ball, not take the shot and end up passing it to the guy next to him on the wing. There was one time it worked out good as there was a mismatch with Jr after Brandon passed him the ball. I don't think that was by design though. But why have our SG run ragged through screens if he is not even going to try to take the shot? Not only not take the shot but completely halt the offense, they might as well have just dribbled up the ball and passed it to someone standing on the wing to go 1on1. Same result....
    You're kidding me right? Did you not see his bad stroke bad release point which seemed to be due to be do with a rush of anxiety. He also blew the coverage on Lewis and let him hit the game changing 3. If we let him play through this we will develop a star. If you are a sticking a fork in Brandon ever being as good as Vince and Lewis are right now then you would have easily said the same about Granger at this point in his career.

Give the kid time, he will make you eat your crow one day. I'd bet the farm on it.

Anyways please, all I want for Christmas is to see a lineup of Hibbert Hansboro Dunleavy Rush Price to get a chance. All players we've drafted, with our new found farm system. Please, oh please. A lot of people underestimate every one of these guys.

Rush was so open he had to shoot those and coaches little mind game he's been playing with our young guys has hindered their growth process and confidence. Price would have probably been able to just lay in the ball in that situation or draw the foul because he seems almost as quick and a lot more stronger than Ford. Ford did play good tonight though.

I think Rush is a prime candidate to be one of those players that play high or intoxicated. He's so talented but he never uses it and just does not seem to care one bit on the court.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JGray View Post
    I think Rush is a prime candidate to be one of those players that play high or intoxicated. He's so talented but he never uses it and just does not seem to care one bit on the court.
    Haha, woah.

I understand the frustration of losing a game we could have won, on the bright side, we were 5 minutes away from beating the 1st or 2nd best team in the East without Granger!

I personally wanted to see how the team responded and stacked up after the 2 wins, and I was pleasantly surprise. Of course I'm upset that we were so close, and a couple baskets here or there from weathering the storm, but I was proud of the effort, and I'm actually getting excited about the team again

5. The Following User Says Thank You to pwee31 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by WetBob View Post
    Haha, woah.
    Well, a former NBA player says that there are players that are high or drunk playing every night, and Rush strikes me as one of those guys. Drugs/Alcohol lower your reaction time and make you "care" less. If you ever look at him on the court, his emotions are completely blank and he also seems to airball easy shots which also could point to drunkeness. I'm just throwing this thought out there, it doesn't seem too far-fetched.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We have a new record for worst post of all time.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sometimes rookie talent just doesn't pan out.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

Quote Originally Posted by kester99 View Post
    Sometimes rookie talent just doesn't pan out.
    It's hard when they wasted.

-Lance Stephenson

Thank God Rush didn't miss a dunk -- he might have been accused of being a lesbian.

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Cherokee For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Midcoasted View Post
    You're kidding me right? Did you not see his bad stroke bad release point which seemed to be due to be do with a rush of anxiety. He also blew the coverage on Lewis and let him hit the game changing 3. If we let him play through this we will develop a star. If you are a sticking a fork in Brandon ever being as good as Vince and Lewis are right now then you would have easily said the same about Granger at this point in his career.

Give the kid time, he will make you eat your crow one day. I'd bet the farm on it.

Anyways please, all I want for Christmas is to see a lineup of Hibbert Hansboro Dunleavy Rush Price to get a chance. All players we've drafted, with our new found farm system. Please, oh please. A lot of people underestimate every one of these guys.

Rush was so open he had to shoot those and coaches little mind game he's been playing with our young guys has hindered their growth process and confidence. Price would have probably been able to just lay in the ball in that situation or draw the foul because he seems almost as quick and a lot more stronger than Ford. Ford did play good tonight though.
    I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm right?? Hell I just can't tell anymore. We have huge Murphy fans who think he deserves his paycheck, we have people on here who think Rush really is the next.. Danny Granger. We have posters who would defend Jim's coaching even after a 20 game losing streak... forgive me for not being familiar with your personal viewpoints. But, are you kidding me??

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee View Post
    Thank God Rush didn't miss a dunk -- he might have been accused of being a lesbian.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

[Insert obligatory WNBA joke].

-Lance Stephenson

I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm right?? Hell I just can't tell anymore. We have huge Murphy fans who think he deserves his paycheck, we have people on here who think Rush really is the next.. Danny Granger. We have posters who would defend Jim's coaching even after a 20 game losing streak... forgive me for not being familiar with your personal viewpoints. But, are you kidding me??
    Great post.. it's so true. Some of the fans here are just ridiculously unrealistic. I'm as die hard of a fan as you'll find but you don't see me going around saying our players/coaches poop smells like roses like some of the people here think. Rush has been nothing but awful his first two years. He's had a few good games towards the end of last year, but it's funny to see that he's actually WORSE in his sophomore year. His shooting is horrendous and he has been crazily inconsistent. People keep saying "But look at his defense!!" Well I say that it doesn't matter if he can't score points. Defense only matters if it helps you outscore your opponent, and even if Rush keeps his opponent to 10 points, he's only giving 5 on the other end.

Sad attempt at humor.

Quote Originally Posted by JGray View Post
    Great post.. it's so true. Some of the fans here are just ridiculously unrealistic. I'm as die hard of a fan as you'll find but you don't see me going around saying our players/coaches poop smells like roses like some of the people here think. Rush has been nothing but awful his first two years. He's had a few good games towards the end of last year, but it's funny to see that he's actually WORSE in his sophomore year. His shooting is horrendous and he has been crazily inconsistent. People keep saying "But look at his defense!!" Well I say that it doesn't matter if he can't score points. Defense only matters if it helps you outscore your opponent, and even if Rush keeps his opponent to 10 points, he's only giving 5 on the other end.
    It is just hard to tell what in the world people are thinking when the sarcasm is not so apparent and everyone has such different viewpoints. He was being sarcastic, yea?

About Brandon, I actually like him! I think he can be a decent role player! You can only have so many players on your team that make 10 million dollars a year. You need some scrubs to fill out the roster spots and come in the game and play good D. I guess the difference is I don't expect much from him? Best case scenario he is a good 15 mins off the bench guy as far as I can see. He certainly is not a starter in the league. Sure we saw him go off in the last 2 weeks of the season last year. But you have to compare that to the rest of his time playing.

About Brandon, I actually like him! I think he can be a decent role player! You can only have so many players on your team that make 10 million dollars a year. You need some scrubs to fill out the roster spots and come in the game and play good D. I guess the difference is I don't expect much from him? Best case scenario he is a good 15 mins off the bench guy as far as I can see. He certainly is not a starter in the league. Sure we saw him go off in the last 2 weeks of the season last year. But you have to compare that to the rest of his time playing.[/QUOTE]

yea but for the 13 pick to get just a scrub is not very good dont you agree?

Quote Originally Posted by plutarch View Post

yea but for the 13 pick to get just a scrub is not very good dont you agree?
    I dunno, I think that is about what I expect from the 13th pick. Scrub is probably a bad word to use, sorry. Roleplayer is much better. At any rate, a key guy off the bench.

Sports Logo

Did anyone expect to win this game? Even after we had a big lead, we should know by now that because of the way the Pacers play no lead is big enough, especially against the Magic.

The free throw disparity stands out but when you take a closer look Dwight had 22 of the 35 attempts. Most of those were under the rim, so it's two points anyways, at least make him earn them. I'm not mad at that.

Also I can't blame O'Brien for this one. There's definitely games where you can say "what is he thinking?" but this one wasn't like that. He played Dunleavy 5 minutes over his limit, but I'm not too worried about 5 minutes. Also, out of a timeout he drew up a play for a Hansbrough three, but we were down 8 with under a minute left at that point so what the heck.

About Rush... the hate on here is funny to me. I'm not giving up on him yet. I want to see him in a slower, more methodical and controlled offense under a different coach before I say he'll never be worth starting. I don't think there should be any argument whether his defense is starter worthy.

In the end, I think it's important to remember this team isn't very good. We beat the Nets and a Wizards team as Flip Saunders put it, that's "finding new ways to lose." We shouldn't get too high after wins like that. We're still one of the, if not THE least talented team in the NBA without Granger and going into ANY game expecting to win, is just setting yourself up for a letdown.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Kuq_e_Zi91 For This Useful Post:

I thought Rush's defense was good, I don't get that he's the goat on this game. He, by far, did the best on Vince Carter, who ranks among my most disliked players due to his whiney persona. BRush missed an open 3, it was a good shot. I'd let him shoot it again in that situaion and take my chances.

Good game against a very good team on the road. I thought they competed. Evidently Dwight Howard is allowed to throw people around every play, that's not why they lost, but I found it interesting how much leeway he's given. I never complain about the refs and NEVER BLAME it for a loss, but Howard was literally throwing people around.

Anyway, good showing by the group, good step in the right direction. Beat "not good" teams, compete with very good teams on the road. Imo, at least.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

As I wrote in a previous thread, Brandon Rush gives you a hint of his mental toughness and clutch shooting by his free throws. Tonight he missed two in a row again.

I don't think he's got the right mindset between the ears.

Also, his shot has too much arc, both his three shot and his foul shot. Allows for too much margin for error.

I think Roy should have played at the end of the game. He had just hit a hook on Dwight, starting to get momentum, and JOS pulled him. I think he made a difference on the defensive end.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

agreed.

Just a couple of notes on the game overall. The strategy on Howard was good, foul him and foul him hard - that is what you have to do and as you saw in the first half you have to foul him hard or he'll score and get fouled.

Not that is matters, but the Star's headline of "Pacers blow 17 point lead" is really misleading. I mean if the pacers had a 17 point lead with 6 minutes to go in the 4th quarter - OK. But a 17 point lead early in the second quarter at Orlando? to suggest the Pacers blew anything is just wrong.

Overall I was encouraged by how the Pacers played last night - they are playing much better than they were two weeks ago
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 12-15-2009 at 10:02 AM.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Midcoasted View Post

Huh? We drafted Hansbrough and Price, the others we traded for. Farm system?

What are you talking about here?

I'm in the not too high after a win and not too low after a loss camp. At least we were competitive for most of the game, which is an improvement.
    I liked seeing Roy and Hans having to deal with Howard. It would be nice if a foul that's a foul is a foul. The superstar-rookie treatment really takes a lot of credibility away from the game....nothing new here, but it doesn't suck any less.
    The Rush hate round here has gone past comical into just retarded. Lacking confidence and needing structure to be effective? Check. A bit soft when it's time to force your will upon the game? You betcha. But to suggest he's playing under the influence....you either haven't been around many drunk people or you're drunk.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    I love how the Star says on the front page of the site that we "blew" the lead. The Magic is a much better team and it's hard to keep anything going against them. We didn't really blow that lead. We blew the last 5 minutes.
    Last edited by Mourning; 12-15-2009 at 07:42 PM.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws