View Poll Results: How does this season's Magic team compare to last season's NBA finalist?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • This season's team is better

16 48.48%
  • Last season's team is better

6 18.18%
  • The two are about the same

8 24.24%
  • Uncertain

3 9.09%
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: 12/14/2009 Game Thread #22: Pacers at Magic

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 12/14/2009 Game Thread #22: Pacers at Magic

Quote Originally Posted by jmoney2584 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't completely agree with that, yet he was not the worst player on the team tonight.
    I didn't say he was the worst player on the team tonight. I said I thought he'd had his worst game so far.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Three Trophies of the Game

Bronze: T.J. Ford
    He scored 13 points and handled the opposing PG fairly well. He also finished with 6 rebounds and 7 assists. He handled the ball pretty well, but he was getting a little sloppy in the second half. Despite the loss, this is the T.J. that played well and the one that we want in a PG.

Silver: Troy Murphy
    In this first quarter he was playing like an all-star. He finished with 9 in the first quarter, but struggled scoring wise the rest of the game finishing with 14 points and no double-double. He pulled down just 6 rebounds. It certainly wasn't easy when trying to get rebounds with Howard in the paint in position for an offensive dunk. He defended Lewis very well the majority of the game. He's definitly coming around and we all will soon appreciate his work again.

Gold: Mike Dunleavy
    He finished with another good scoring performance and it looks like he's just about back to his old self. IMO, he's probably still better to have coming off the bench when Danny returns, but for now, I don't see why he shouldn't start at SF with either Dahntay or Brandon at the starting SG spot. Mike finished with 26 points (season high) and was 10-19 field goal shooting. He was perfect at the free throw line (5-5). He pulled down 4 defensive rebounds and passed 2 assists. It's great to have him back healthy and playing well again and hopefully it continues.

Tonight was a tough loss, but the Bobcats aren't much better than we are so it's a must win Wednesday night back at home.

Even when TH doesn't play great, he tends to find intangible ways to contribute. Hustling, getting extra possessions, drawing fouls, etc. I was impressed with what he did tonight even though it wasn't as statistically noticeable as his previous couple.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

4. The Following User Says Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    He was the only one fighting for a rebound,
    Yes, he did pretty well on the boards.

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

I'm thinking bronze Solo.
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

Way to go Jim, you may have just put our franchise back another 4+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by gummy View Post
    Hans had pretty much his worst night ever in the NBA.
    Not really.

Scoring/shooting wise he was really bad, but he still played pretty decent D, made some nice passes, and got some boards.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Thesterovic View Post
    I'm thinking bronze Solo.
    I kept him in mind, but I felt T.J. was more consistent through out the game than he usually is.

Here we go Steelers.. jmoney2584's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gummy View Post
    I didn't say he was the worst player on the team tonight. I said I thought he'd had his worst game so far.
    I know, I'm just saying I think this wasn't his WORST. His first few he had some bad ones. He wasn't great tonight, but even if he DID have his worst of the season, it wasn't as bad as some of our players.
    Roy Hibbert.... It's the POWER!!!

Mood

Honestly now that I am looking at the box, the biggest different maker in this game was free throws. 25-35 for the Magic, 7-10 for the Pacers. We had a significantly higher FG%, a slightly higher 3pt %, more assists, comparable rebounds (the whole team rebounded pretty well) and only 9 turnovers. If we hadn't fouled them so much we win this game.
    Last edited by gummy; 12-14-2009 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    I kept him in mind, but I felt T.J. was more consistent through out the game than he usually is.
    Thats not saying much, and he was kind of the primary reason we lost in the fourth.
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

Way to go Jim, you may have just put our franchise back another 4+ years.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Not really.

Scoring/shooting wise he was really bad, but he still played pretty decent D, made some nice passes, and got some boards.
    Yes, you're right. I was dashing back and forth between the computer and the TV and I left this comment short.

What I should have said was that this seemed to me to be the one of the worst nights Tyler has had on offense, particularly his decision-making on which shots to take and which to pass up. He looked a little lost, especially when compared to the last couple of games. I recognize that he played OK D, got on the boards, and did some other little things.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Well I slept through the first QTR, and saw we were playing well, and apparently had a 17 point lead at one point, but got cold, and you can't afford to do that when you are playing a team like Orlando.

Oh well, just be happy we got the win against the Wizards. Take what we can get, and I think we've been playing a lot better lately anyway.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Yeah, his decision-making on when and when not to try to score was awful tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Thesterovic View Post
    Thats not saying much, and he was kind of the primary reason we lost in the fourth.
    Solo didn't really do anything too impressive. He played his usual defensive game and scored a few points.

It was good to see him out there late in the first. I'm hoping he gets some more time because we can use his defense and if he gets more time and it's clear that he's playing consistently, his minutes with probably be shared with Jeff when backing up Roy.

About T.J., he played better tonight than what we've seen in a while.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I love how the Star says on the front page of the site that we "blew" the lead. The Magic is a much better team and it's hard to keep anything going against them. We didn't really blow that lead. We blew the last 5 minutes.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    That is a symptom of relying on jump shooting to win games.
    And not playing Roy at crunch time.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Roy should have come back in the game. Actually, JOB should have left him out there. He had just hit that nice hook on Howard and was in the position to make a difference. Dwight can't score on Roy at will like he can everyone else.

I mean, it's 60/40 he'll score or get fouled against Roy and about 90 percent with everyone else.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Did you see those travels? Not every pro makes those, sorry. I'm not acting like it's something terrible, just making an observation. People are really uptight about Tyler.
    The first one was obvious but the second was one where he shuffled his feet like EVERY pro does... Examples .. Granger and Murphy both do it and thats just off the top of my head.

Heck LBJ takes 4 steps about 3 times a game but he is never called for it. That kind of traveling only happens when a kid doesnt know how to dribble.

Banned
    Mood

I don't think Hansbrough was too bad. His shooting stunk again (.333) but he was solid everywhere else.

His shooting was very streaky; 0-4 to start the game, followed by 4-4, and finished with another 0-4. Hopefully that type of streakiness wears off in due time.

brandon rush takes the worse player in my opinion
    poor free throw shooting
    came up short in the clutch late in the 4th
    very very disappointed in the man
    its looking like he is gonna be a decent bench player at most, man i had high hopes for him

Quote Originally Posted by plutarch View Post
    brandon rush takes the worse player in my opinion
    poor free throw shooting
    came up short in the clutch late in the 4th
    very very disappointed in the man
    its looking like he is gonna be a decent bench player at most, man i had high hopes for him
    Brandon missed those 2 clutch threes at the end. And then we saw with Vince and Rashard why they make the big bucks and Brandon never will. Clutchness. But besides that I am happy with Brandon, he just should not be expected to make the key baskets in crunch time and if we had Danny out there, he wouldn't have had that problem.

He is not Vince Carter or Rashard Lewis on offense. He is what he is, a good role player. One thing I noticed is that he would run through all these screens and be moving quite well, only to catch the ball, not take the shot and end up passing it to the guy next to him on the wing. There was one time it worked out good as there was a mismatch with Jr after Brandon passed him the ball. I don't think that was by design though. But why have our SG run ragged through screens if he is not even going to try to take the shot? Not only not take the shot but completely halt the offense, they might as well have just dribbled up the ball and passed it to someone standing on the wing to go 1on1. Same result....

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    Three Trophies of the Game

Bronze: T.J. Ford
    He scored 13 points and handled the opposing PG fairly well. He also finished with 6 rebounds and 7 assists. He handled the ball pretty well, but he was getting a little sloppy in the second half. Despite the loss, this is the T.J. that played well and the one that we want in a PG.

Silver: Troy Murphy
    In this first quarter he was playing like an all-star. He finished with 9 in the first quarter, but struggled scoring wise the rest of the game finishing with 14 points and no double-double. He pulled down just 6 rebounds. It certainly wasn't easy when trying to get rebounds with Howard in the paint in position for an offensive dunk. He defended Lewis very well the majority of the game. He's definitly coming around and we all will soon appreciate his work again.

Gold: Mike Dunleavy
    He finished with another good scoring performance and it looks like he's just about back to his old self. IMO, he's probably still better to have coming off the bench when Danny returns, but for now, I don't see why he shouldn't start at SF with either Dahntay or Brandon at the starting SG spot. Mike finished with 26 points (season high) and was 10-19 field goal shooting. He was perfect at the free throw line (5-5). He pulled down 4 defensive rebounds and passed 2 assists. It's great to have him back healthy and playing well again and hopefully it continues.

Tonight was a tough loss, but the Bobcats aren't much better than we are so it's a must win Wednesday night back at home.
    I do like your giving out awards, I think it is a cool thing to do each game, but I seldom agree with you! I suppose if you consider the first quarter as important as the last quarter it all makes sense. But TJ and Murph lose for crappy play at the end IMO... They lost us the game, along with Brandon missing some key shots.

I hope you aren't just taking the text polls they do on the television as your awards!

I do, however, agree with you about Jr. he definately played great.

Really no awards should be giving for losing, but it is a fun thing to do.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As long as Rush is still underachieving and Danny is injured, MDJ can start until he just can't do it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho T View Post
    The first one was obvious but the second was one where he shuffled his feet like EVERY pro does... Examples .. Granger and Murphy both do it and thats just off the top of my head.

Heck LBJ takes 4 steps about 3 times a game but he is never called for it. That kind of traveling only happens when a kid doesnt know how to dribble.
    They were both obvious. They were both the same really. There's a difference between "shuffling your feet" (which every pro does do) and "taking steps". Tyler took steps. Regardless, it's not a big deal either way. A turnover is a turnover.

Mood

All in all I thought it was a good game IMHO. It is too bad we lost the game, but we competed all the way to the end of the game even though we made some poor decisions. Boy it was nice to see MDJ out there playing significant minutes and doing so well. If you would have asked me at the start of the season if we would have had a chance at beating Orlando without Danny I would have said you were crazy.

I am not gonna hate on Brandon too much. I always step back and remember this kid is in only his second season and still has a lot to learn about being a professional basketball player. Some think he is an all star caliber player while others believe he will be no better than a small role player riding the pine most of the game. I linger in the middle thinking the future for Brandon will be a good 2 guard with good defense and scoring when the opportunity arises.