Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 92

Thread: Mike Dunleavy Jr.

  1. #1
    We need John Wall. Thesterovic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    962

    Default Mike Dunleavy Jr.

    I'm wondering if maybe we should resign Mike next offseason if healthy. He likes our team, he is a leader, and he makes everyone around him better. He is an extremely consistent player, a 3 point threat, a mentor, and a nice defensive player. I don't even see bad 1 on 1 defense with him. Anytime he's on the floor we play better, and he almost never gives up on a play. What do you think?
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

    Way to go Jim, you may have just put our franchise back another 4+ years.

  2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Thesterovic For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: Mike Dunleavy Jr.

    For the right price, sure.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,082

    Default Re: Mike Dunleavy Jr.

    Too early.

    How consistent will he be with this good play?
    How well will he recover from injury?
    What kind of discount will he give us in a resign?

    Let's talk again in a year.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  6. #4
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,236

    Default Re: Mike Dunleavy Jr.

    He's a good player to have on your team...for the right price. He's probably the best player on the team right now...with Danny out...so, sure, you have to try to reacquire him. Let's talk over the summer...

  7. #5
    We need John Wall. Thesterovic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    962

    Default Re: Mike Dunleavy Jr.

    Thats what speculation is all about. I just thought this would be a nice discussion because I don't think I've ever seen this idea mentioned before.
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

    Way to go Jim, you may have just put our franchise back another 4+ years.

  8. #6
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,082

    Default Re: Mike Dunleavy Jr.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thesterovic View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thats what speculation is all about. I just thought this would be a nice discussion because I don't think I've ever seen this idea mentioned before.
    It's definitely been discussed. But not since he was injured.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  9. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Little Rock, AR
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,367

    Default Re: Mike Dunleavy Jr.

    I hope we let him go... the right price is a significant pay cut, and I doubt he'll be excited about that.

  10. #8
    We need John Wall. Thesterovic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    962

    Default Re: Mike Dunleavy Jr.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dece View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hope we let him go... the right price is a significant pay cut, and I doubt he'll be excited about that.
    I don't think 2yr/13m + team option for a third year is bad if he stays healthy and continues to do good for us. Props to the medical staff for getting him back early and healthy.
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

    Way to go Jim, you may have just put our franchise back another 4+ years.

  11. #9
    Release Psycho T pwee31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,170

    Default Re: Mike Dunleavy Jr.

    If his health holds up, I'm pretty sure his production and importance to the team will as well. A lot of us were wondering what Mike would look like once he returned from the serious knee injury. I mean the guy had played 18 game in what a year and a half to 2 years? And in limited minutes I think he's done well and looked pretty good.

    Dealing with conditioning and getting his legs underneath him would take time, not to mention I'm sure he's had the mental hurdle to get over as well.

    He's averaging nearly 14 points off the bench in limited minutes. Has already posted games of 22 and 24 points. Shooting about 47% from the field and 40% from 3. 92% from the line.

    There's no doubt in my mind if he continues to be healthy he can be back to averaging 17-20 a game.

    He's like an extension of the coach on the floor, and from what I've seen, appears to be the vocal leader our team was in need of. He's an intelligent player, and his defense isn't as bad as I remember. He's still slow on his feet against a lot of the players he's guarding, but he usually gets himself in pretty good position, has pretty quick hands, and he may lead the team in taking charges already.

    I'm not sure what the market will be for him, and you definitely don't want to overpay again, but I believe Mike likes it here, I believe he fits in well here, and he's the type of guy Bird wants to have around and build the team with.

    You definitely have to see how he holds up, and what the market is for him, but I believe he'll be in the long term plans barring anymore serious injuries and no one overpays for him

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to pwee31 For This Useful Post:


  13. #10
    FREE LANCE MillerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,825

    Default Re: Mike Dunleavy Jr.

    If the price is right, I dont see why we wouldnt resign him. I think its kind of early as of now. He would be a good offensive spark off the bench (like Manu and Jason Terry)...But I definitely wont be interested in resigning him for anymore than $5-$6/year
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.



  14. #11
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mike Dunleavy Jr.

    I'd bring him back for a cheaper contract if he accepts. (Along with Troy)

  15. #12
    Member BobbyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Homeless Traveler
    Posts
    1,170
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mike Dunleavy Jr.

    Frankly I would rather see us keep Mike and trade Danny.

  16. #13
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Mike Dunleavy Jr.

    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyMac View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Frankly I would rather see us keep Mike and trade Danny.
    If they Danny we're left with is the one from the start of this season, I agree. But let's see how he looks when he's not playing on a bad foot and knee.

    Then again, maybe he'll always be hurt. But it's too soon to call.

    Another round of this (coming off right now, and his foot injury last year), however, and it might be time to seriously consider it before it becomes "we're stuck with him."

    Regardless, we're not there yet, and for now it's fair to assume he'll look better once he's back than he did so far this season.

  17. #14
    We need John Wall. Thesterovic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    962

    Default Re: Mike Dunleavy Jr.

    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyMac View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Frankly I would rather see us keep Mike and trade Danny.
    Me too. Danny is very consistent, but almost never makes you say "Wow!". Danny could be traded for one of the top flight young players in the league as well.
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

    Way to go Jim, you may have just put our franchise back another 4+ years.

  18. #15

    Default Re: Mike Dunleavy Jr.

    I could definitely see Mike resigning with the Pacers for a discount. I think he likes living in Indy and spends most of the off-season in Indy as well. A 2-3 year 10/14 million dollar deal seems to be in line. Dunleavy knows he won't see the payday he received on his last contract.

  19. #16
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mike Dunleavy Jr.

    SIXTH MAN OF THE YEAR!

  20. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    23
    Posts
    1,272

    Default Re: Mike Dunleavy Jr.

    MLE is about right for him

  21. #18
    Member OakMoses's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,031

    Default Re: Mike Dunleavy Jr.

    We're going to have a ton of money if we let all the contracts expire. If we can turn some combo of Ford/Murphy/Foster into a very good PG or big man like we're hoping to, re-signing Mike is a very real possibility. When you talk about hitting the FA market, you basically admit that you're going to overpay for somebody. If Dun prooves that he's fully recovered from the knee issues, I'd much rather overpay for him for many of the reasons mentioned above. Also, it's not like guys are going to be lining up to come play in Indy.

    In short, if we can get a good player without having to include Dunleavy in the trade, I think there's a very good chance we re-sign or extend him when the time comes.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

    - Salman Rushdie

  22. #19
    Member BobbyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Homeless Traveler
    Posts
    1,170
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mike Dunleavy Jr.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If they Danny we're left with is the one from the start of this season, I agree. But let's see how he looks when he's not playing on a bad foot and knee.

    Then again, maybe he'll always be hurt. But it's too soon to call.

    Another round of this (coming off right now, and his foot injury last year), however, and it might be time to seriously consider it before it becomes "we're stuck with him."

    Regardless, we're not there yet, and for now it's fair to assume he'll look better once he's back than he did so far this season.
    Remember that Danny missed 15 games last year...probably 30 this year.

  23. #20
    Member BobbyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Homeless Traveler
    Posts
    1,170
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mike Dunleavy Jr.

    Looks to me like most contracts are going to go down by about 15%. I'm for resigning Mike....and Murphy at a 15% reduction.

  24. #21
    FREE LANCE MillerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,825

    Default Re: Mike Dunleavy Jr.

    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyMac View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looks to me like most contracts are going to go down by about 15%. I'm for resigning Mike....and Murphy at a 15% reduction.
    Murphy is making $11,047,619 this season, a 15% reduction of that will be $9,390,477.

    Dunleavy is making $9,780,992 this season, a 15% reduction of that will be $8,313,844

    If these guys are making that kind of money after their extension with the Pacers, I will pull out my hair. A 15% reduction wont work, I'd say more of a 35% reduction
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.



  25. #22

    Default Re: Mike Dunleavy Jr.

    I like Mike and all, but picking him over Granger at this point is silly. Silly.

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to dorkknob For This Useful Post:


  27. #23

    Default Re: Mike Dunleavy Jr.

    Honestly, I'd be inclined to be okay with resigning Mike and Murphy both. As long as their combined salary is within range of what Murphy is making by himself right now. Otherwise I'd be fine with them leaving, but if I have to choose one I'm keeping Dunleavy around as long as he is healthy from here on out.

    -- Steve --

  28. #24
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Mike Dunleavy Jr.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thesterovic View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Me too. Danny is very consistent, but almost never makes you say "Wow!"
    You say that like a bad thing, but to me that's a major plus.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  29. #25

    Default Re: Mike Dunleavy Jr.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thesterovic View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm wondering if maybe we should resign Mike next offseason if healthy. He likes our team, he is a leader, and he makes everyone around him better. He is an extremely consistent player, a 3 point threat, a mentor, and a nice defensive player. I don't even see bad 1 on 1 defense with him. Anytime he's on the floor we play better, and he almost never gives up on a play. What do you think?
    A man with all those attributes simply has no place on a Pacers team. They haven't had a player like that for years and there is no reason to start now. Can you imagine if some of the other players came with that same attitude. What if Hibbert started to really dominate or Rush decided to pull his head out and look at the sunshine for once. What would PD posters have to talk about? Geesh....



Similar Threads

  1. Dunleavy: Knee surgery was career threatening
    By idioteque in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-12-2009, 04:48 PM
  2. Coach 'em up, season 2: Mike Dunleavy Jr.
    By thunderbird1245 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-03-2008, 09:15 AM
  3. Ran into Mike Dunleavy today.......
    By Smoothdave1 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-19-2008, 05:42 PM
  4. Indiana Pacers: Mike Dunleavy, Jr. Arrives
    By GrangerRanger in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 03-08-2008, 09:16 AM
  5. Mike Dunleavy, where does he fit in?
    By Young in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 03-06-2008, 03:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •