Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacers will use their MLE on 2 players

Default Pacers will use their MLE on 2 players

I am a paying customer of ESPN Insider

Chad Ford expects the Pacers to split their MLE on two players a center and point guard.

Pacers wanted to save their MLE to sign another player or two.

Chad also said that the pacers might look overseas for a player.

he did not mention any names

Default Re: Pacers will use their MLE on 2 players

Really....that is very odd...they never use the MLE...
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hopefully its not players that we will cringe over. I dont see anyone else out there to spend the money on thats not already on the team. We are pretty much stacked at every position except center.

2006 WORLD CHAMPION INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

I don't see the need to sign another center unless we're trading one that's currently on our roster. . .

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any center worth signing that would accept only a portion of the MLE.

Guards, well there's a bunch out there. Troy Hudson would be nice, though I'm pretty sure he wants more than a portion of the MLE.

Maybe we'll just end up re-signing AJ.
    [edit=231=1089641649][/edit]
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

Give me Damon Jones baby!

75Ranger

It makes sense though. Right now we don't have anybody at the backup pg spot . I thought we needed a little bit of an upgrade over Anthony Johnson to begin with and now I don't know if were signing him anyway. I don't want to count on a second round pick to play major minutes. Of course Freddie is an option to be a combo guard buts thats still risky to go into a season with a second round pg with no experience and a player like Freddie Jones whos never played pg before.

We could also use another big guy especially with Shaq in the East were probably going to run into them in the playoffs at some point. The more big guys you have the better.

Freddie doesn't need to play PG. Really.

We just need a backup PG.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

UB, I have to believe the only way the Pacers use their MLE is if they are able to dump some salary somewhere else.

Obviously Pollard's contract is the best prospect, especially if the P's are looking to sign another center as Ford suggests.

My faint hope is that Atlanta agreed to take Pollard's contract in the Harrington/Jackson deal, if they do not land Kenyon Martin. Losing some salary would be more valuable to the Pacers than a first round pick at this point, wouldn't it?

As for centers, I've been touting Michael Doleac as a good situational center for us. He can hit an outside shot and would need to be guarded, forcing his opponent to move out on the floor and guard him.

If Shaq is going to play in the east Pollard becomes more valuable. He doesn't fit but ww may still keep him.

Quote Originally Posted by Will
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Shaq is going to play in the east Pollard becomes more valuable. He doesn't fit but ww may still keep him.
    Good point. Then he has an expiring contract next season, too.

If the P's intend on keeping Pollard, then wouldn't it mean Ford is full of beans when he says we intend to use part of the MLE on signing a center?

Mood

Damon Jones now theres a pg i wouldnt mind having. I think last year he almost passed for the most assist in a game last season and his outside shooting is a plus. I think that the Bucks are an up and coming team and he may not want to part with something that is becoming special up there in Milwaukee.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukins
    Damon Jones now theres a pg i wouldnt mind having. I think last year he almost passed for the most assist in a game last season and his outside shooting is a plus. I think that the Bucks are an up and coming team and he may not want to part with something that is becoming special up there in Milwaukee.
    Then again, with losing Skinner the Bucks are looking once again thin at C. Etan Thomas will provide some relief, but they're facing the same argument we're saying -- "We've got to play some pretty good front lines in the East in Det, Ind and Mia."

Maybe your right!

Why would Jones want to leave the Bucks to come to the Pacers?

What about free agent Divac.

Mood

Ha that would be funny. Having two flopping fish in Divac and Reggie. Half of our team would be on the floor. The only reason i could see is because he has some experience guarding Shaq and he comes from a winning team and he has experience to boot. In that case Sign him what the hell.

Hmm... Divac and Payton (once he's bought out)?

They would be some nice back-ups.

I'll keep dreaming. That would be very nice though.
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

Check the Summer camp Roster, there are a few non americans on there

So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    Really....that is very odd...they never use the MLE...
    They will probably have to use it to fill out the roster. They will need to replace Primoz and Kenny at the least. What's up with AJ? I thought re-signing him would be a formality.

They will probably pay a minimum for the last couple of spots though presumably one will go to Harrison.

The Pacers might use the MLE next year because Reggie's contract will be coming off the books.

[quote=Grant]
    Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness

The Pacers might use the MLE next year because Reggie's contract will be coming off the books.

That's not a given, Reg has an option year next year.

this is great news- actually using the MLE for once-- I'll believe it when I see it.

I guess we lost Primoz, will lose KA, probably Brewer, and probably AJ. Add our 2 draft picks, and I suppose there are 2 slots to fill.

I'd think only the PG will see the floor. Jones would be OK, or AJ, and the best project emerging from camp. Boumtje-Boumtje, or another semi-stiff dude that is a walking "6 fouls-to-give" vs. Miami.
    [edit=97=1089649076][/edit]
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Damon Jones is the guard I want. Good locker room pressence and is a good shooter. He would be a better complament to Tinsley than Payton. Payton would want to start which would not happen here.

As for a center here are the possiabilties:

- Michael Doleac
    - Vlade Divac

Mood

You know, Dampier might be forced to take the MLE. GS is apparently asking too much for a sign-and-trade, and Memphis can't pay him the big bucks now.

Sign him for the MLE, then trade Pollard for capspace.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    You know, Dampier might be forced to take the MLE. GS is apparently asking too much for a sign-and-trade, and Memphis can't pay him the big bucks now.

There are probably 25 or 26 teams that would like to sign him for the MLE...IOW, we'd have competitiion if it came down to that.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Okay, first of all I in no way believe we will use our MLE at all, be it on 1, 2, or 6 players. If this actually happens, I'll have to give Ford some credit, but considering I think he's a loon, him saying this further hurts any credibility of it happening.

That said, if Dampier is forced to take the MLE, I could very well see him choosing here. As has been said, he liked it here and didn't want to leave. And Memphis alreadly used it's MLE on Cardinal, so he's only going there via trade.

But then, who's to say we'd take Dampier even if he wanted to come? ed:
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks

If I were a team with cap space I think I could do better that trading it for Pollard.

I think we should have signed Jackson to the MLE and traded Al for draft picks (current or future)