Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Did Anyone Think Hansbrough Would Be This Good So Soon?

Default Did Anyone Think Hansbrough Would Be This Good So Soon?

His play the past two games has been tremendous. He is rounding into form after missing all of training camp and preseason.

I can't wait to see how he improves the rest of the season. I am sure he will hit the proverbial "rookie wall" at some point but he has the mental toughness to overcome it.

Default Re: Did Anyone Think Hansbrough Would Be This Good So Soon?

Larry Bird did.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Putnam For This Useful Post:

Yes, I did. The guy is all skill and determination. Also, did you guys see that alley-oop? The guy has hops, I see no reason why people say he is unathletic. I have not a doubt in my mind that he will be atleast a decent starter in his career.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spirit For This Useful Post:

There's plenty to like. Even with all his short-comings, he can give your team significant contributions. What excites me is there are things he can and will improve upon as time goes along.

I liked how earlier in the game he drove like he usually does to throw his body into somebody, but faked out his man by instead putting up a step-back jumper. Smart adjustment.

I'm happy he's had 3 solid games in a row. Gonna have to keep producing for me to start with the "this good so soon" talk, however. Let's see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by JGray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, I did. The guy is all skill and determination. Also, did you guys see that alley-oop? The guy has hops, I see no reason why people say he is unathletic. I have not a doubt in my mind that he will be atleast a decent starter in his career.
    A big reason for saying he's unathletic is he has very low hops when he goes straight up. His hops show up when he's running/in motion.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    There's plenty to like. What excites me is there are things he can and will improve upon as time goes along.

I'm happy he's had 3 solid games in a row. Gonna have to keep producing for me to start with the "this good so soon" talk, however. Let's see how it goes.
    The past three games have been very good but he started out his career with some good games as well.

I only see him getting better as the season progresses.

BTW, that sig pic is freaky.

The oop was very nice.. Along with that was the Hard dunk in the lane, I wanted to yell out "TAKE THAT SETH"

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dohman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by justinDOHMAN View Post
    The oop was very nice.. Along with that was the Hard dunk in the lane, I wanted to yell out "TAKE THAT SETH"
    I loved those two plays in crunch time !!! Is very nice to know that there's at least one Pacer that is willing to take it to the rim hard when it counts !

I have been most impressed by his aggressiveness on defense. He has also clearly made some adjustments after eating 6 helpings of leather during the Golden State game.

Now I'm waiting for that stroke to tighten up. I am pretty confident he will have a deadly midrange game. Just look at how much Granger improved. Even Foster has improved his midrange. I expect Tyler will be automatic from 15 feet starting next year.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Banned

Im starting to think that Larry Bird drafted the PF of the future. I know is to early but this guy complements Hibbert and he is also a good defender.

Careful folks. It's like wins and losses. Don't get too high after a good game, don't get too low after a bad game. Especially for someone in their 1st 3 years in the league.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

as I often say, you cannot ever over-estimate the impact of an energy player has on a team. Add that his very skilled and smart and you have a very nice player

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm excited about his aggressiveness. As long as that never goes away, he's going to make plays.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to obnoxiousmodesty For This Useful Post:

Banned

I knew . Though I dont expect him to score around 20 points all the time.

A big reason for saying he's unathletic is he has very low hops when he goes straight up. His hops show up when he's running/in motion.
    Yea. I think he knows this because he boxes out like crazy and you will notice him trying to get in motion as the shot is in the air.

His one step jump at the combine was 34" but I think in full motion he can probably jump higher than that.

The thing is, he is not afraid to shoot the rock 30 times a game. If he starts hitting, he will put up huge numbers. Bird-like numbers....

Ok....LOL....I just hope he turns out to be a good 6th man.

The most impressive aspect of Tyler's play ALL season, not specifically this 3 game "streak", is the fact that his good games have come despite not shooting very well. Yes, he has had games where he shot average or maybe slightly above average, but none where he was absoutely money from midrange and the FT line as at UNC. These things will come in time, especially as he distances himself from his injury. His FTs are already starting to revert back to previous form and I expect his midrange game will revert back in the next month as well.

The one disappointing thing about all this is the possibility that without all this shin injury business and with Granger's recent injury had Tyler been 100% from day 1 he very well could have been at least in the discussion for ROY. This wouldn't necessarily be because he is a knock you out of your chair rookie, but because this year's rookie class, at least in terms of immediate impact, is relatively weak. A stat line of 15 ppg 6-8 rpg 2 stl 2 ast, which could have been optimistically conceivable with what we know now, simply could have done it for this years rookie class (although Brandon Jennings probably would have won out). Regardless, he still gives Pacers fans a player to be very excited about.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnWild For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    The thing is, he is not afraid to shoot the rock 30 times a game. If he starts hitting, he will put up huge numbers. Bird-like numbers....

Ok....LOL....I just hope he turns out to be a good 6th man.
    He may be to aggressive at times but I am not against him shooting 12 times or maybe even 15 if he is shooting well.

Will be nice to see that jumper fall like it did at UNC..

I was pleasantly surprised to see he finished at 7-14 from the field. I thought this was going to be another rough FG% night for him.

Of course, as with any big man, getting a couple dunks will do that for your %.

I was pleasantly surprised to see he finished at 7-14 from the field. I thought this was going to be another rough FG% night for him.

Of course, as with any big man, getting a couple dunks will do that for your %.

The big deal here is, he improved his FG% significantly down the stretch as the game tightened. Very good sign IMO.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Banned

What was Tylers FG% in the 4th? I dont recall a miss.

2 Dunks , a Jumper , a pretty nice layup , and some FTs is all I remember.

I remember him being 3 for 8 at one point in the game ( was in the 3rd I think ).. So he went 4 for 6 after that.
    Last edited by Psycho T; 12-12-2009 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    The big deal here is, he improved his FG% significantly down the stretch as the game tightened. Very good sign IMO.
    Indeed. Given his college career, I leaned towards thinking he'd play big down the stretch, but you never can really know ahead of time. Nice sign that his first crunch time game, he showed up.

Thumbs up Re: Did Anyone Think Hansbrough Would Be This Good So Soon?

Absolutely!! , but I didn't expect him to pick up the NBA speed/style of play so early in his rookie season..

I can't wait to see how good Tyler can actually become 2 years from now..
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

Can't say that I knew how well he'd do, but I did spend my mid-late summer on Pacers blogs trying to convince the doubting fans that drafting him was a good idea. I'm a Carolina alum and we learned over four great years that there's no stat sheet that can do justice to what this guy brings to a team. "Give him a chance," I typed (about 25 million times).

33. The Following User Says Thank You to MissBumptious For This Useful Post:

I had a feeling he could be this good when drafted, but when he got injured, I lowered my expectations a bit. We knew he would hustle; we knew he would get to the foul line. But in the minutes he's been playing, he IS getting to the foul line and also demonstrating something that is difficult to teach: poise under pressure. He will make his mistakes, but I am really looking forward to comparing his second half stats with his first half stats. What a phenomenal find if he can keep up what he has been doing!

Quote Originally Posted by joeyd View Post
    I had a feeling he could be this good when drafted, but when he got injured, I lowered my expectations a bit. We knew he would hustle; we knew he would get to the foul line. But in the minutes he's been playing, he IS getting to the foul line and also demonstrating something that is difficult to teach: poise under pressure. He will make his mistakes, but I am really looking forward to comparing his second half stats with his first half stats. What a phenomenal find if he can keep up what he has been doing!
    The thing with his game is, it is not likely to get worse. It is what it is and he's like a raging bull out there. He's Foster-like energy with a healthy dose of offense. I expect him to improve his shooting pct and find new and better ways to get fouled. If that happens, Katie bar the door.