Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game #20 Nets vs. Pacers post-game

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Game #20 Nets vs. Pacers post-game

Congratulations to Mr. Hibbert for hitting his career high on his 23rd birthday.

I have two questions about this game:

1.) Will this deliberative style of play work again teams who will actually be able to play a semblance of defense against us?

2.) Was that Naptown Seth sitting in the 2nd or 3rd row in one of the corner sections close to the basket the visiting team uses in the first half, with the blond hair and the old school blue Pacers jersey with the white t under it? I have only seen the guy in pictures from forum parties but it sure looked like him.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Game #20 Nets vs. Pacers post-game

The Battle of the Lottery Pick Rookies

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Battle of the Lottery Pick Rookies

I was chuckling when Hans was schooling TWill one on one on both ends.

What do you think of that Seth?

Great to have a win. Thanks God we cut down on the 3pt attempts. Keep them at around 13 to 16 and we may win some more games. Also good job on the boards.
    Good is the enemy of Great

We're changing the identity of our basketball team -- dramatically. We're a power post team -- a blood-and-guts, old-school, smash-mouth team that plays with size, strength, speed and athleticism. We attack the basket. . . . This is the new identity of our team. It was a great effort. I'm very proud of our guys."
    -- Frank Vogel.

Congrats to the TEAM for the win. It was great to get a win, but lets put it in perspective... it was against the worst team in the league. It was nice to see Hans and Roy do well, it is something to build from, but again lets see how they do tomorrow night against the Wiz in DC. I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but I don't want to get overly excited about a win against a team that has won a whopping 2 games either.

Oh btw Jimmy, I didn't see Price playing tonight. He must have had a bad practice, right? Lets see, this is the same trend we saw with Graham and McBob... positive games then no minutes the next game/games. Kinda makes the credibility of your comment about playing Price, well not so credible. With Ford's +/_ of -6 with 4 TO's, you couldn't find 5-10 minutes for Price?

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Congrats to the TEAM for the win. It was great to get a win, but lets put it in perspective... it was against the worst team in the league. It was nice to see Hans and Roy do well, it is something to build from, but again lets see how they do tomorrow night against the Wiz in DC. I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but I don't want to get overly excited about a win against a team that has won a whopping 2 games either.

Oh btw Jimmy, I didn't see Price playing tonight. He must have had a bad practice, right? Lets see, this is the same trend we saw with Graham and McBob... positive games then no minutes the next game/games. Kinda makes the credibility of your comment about playing Price, well not so credible. With Ford's +/_ of -6 with 4 TO's, you couldn't find 5-10 minutes for Price?
    Why couldn't he have gotten the 5 minutes that Head got? Although, while we're on the subject, Head's season +/- is the best on the team. Take that for what it's worth.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    Congratulations to Mr. Hibbert for hitting his career high on his 23rd birthday.

I have two questions about this game:

1.) Will this deliberative style of play work again teams who will actually be able to play a semblance of defense against us?

2.) Was that Naptown Seth sitting in the 2nd or 3rd row in one of the corner sections close to the basket the visiting team uses in the first half, with the blond hair and the old school blue Pacers jersey with the white t under it? I have only seen the guy in pictures from forum parties but it sure looked like him.
    FTW

And it's a Detlef btw
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 12-12-2009 at 02:05 AM.

Wow everyone played pretty solid tonight. Not very many people at the game though, but I suppose thats expected for the nets. The ball movement was just very pleasing to watch. There was one play where Watson drove it baseline to find Rush cutting for the easy lay up. We haven't seen plays like that all season so far.

Though I must say a couple of substitution patterns really drove me nuts and had me cursing JOB from the stands. We built up an 18 point lead with our bench players and we started a series of possessions where we really got out and ran with Watson getting easy layups 3 times in a row, and Jersey responded with a few transition baskets of their own, and on the next foul call JOB subs in the entire starting line up! The nets then cut a big chunk into that lead. Also in the 4th qtr Hibbert had a very nice series of defensive plays blocking several shots in a row and forcing a couple of jump balls, and JOB takes him out of the game! I proceeded to tell my GF that we have the dumbest coach in the league.

Granger was in his suit, sitting next to McRoberts, near Solo. Them and the group of guys around them were joking and talking the entire game. So I hope this means this team has some strong chemistry.

And I hope Granger was taking note at all the ball movement and how successful it was.
    Last edited by theboyjwo; 12-12-2009 at 02:03 AM.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    I was chuckling when Hans was schooling TWill one on one on both ends.

What do you think of that Seth?
    I didn't see that. I did see TWill take him off the dribble and draw the foul, and I saw him turn Tyler away at the other end even though TWill is a 2/3 and Tyler is a 4.

But I need to watch the Tivo still. I do know that Twill had more in traffic dunks than Tyler has all year.

However I've watched the Nets a few times and the problem they have which kills TWill is they have no team offense. It's all dribble drive iso, if you've got nothing then kick it out and let another guy start all over again. Even when they go to Lopez they don't feed off him.

If you watch the game and watch Twill off the ball you see him find spaces that would be great for a guy to pass it too, but instead the player (even guys I like such as Lee and CDR a bit) just drives on into trouble.

TWill is like Rush, he works best with a 5 man system. I noticed that he's basically running the defense when he's out there, calling out assignments and such. But then the Nets team is a long list of wasted talent.

TWill and Henderson might be the two most squandered talents in this draft. At least TWill can hit a jumper, I have no idea what Brown is doing with GHenderson.

No AJ Price...ever...even up 20. No Solo either, not even a fleeting last 60 seconds game time.

Tyler has two good games in a row, at least by impact and points/boards overall. But I still stand by the opinion that in the low post he is badly overmatched as a scorer. The fade pop and the high post jumper drew applause from me however.

In our lively post-game discussion I think Bill and Hicks and I agreed that Tyler is best when he is used appropriately. What that means is not using him as a scoring option, but letting him get his points off of other options. Kick to him, let him get the loose putbacks, and back off posting him or forcing him to drive much.

I thought the team played some brilliant low post offense tonight, at least at times. I saw many legit, full blown PLAYS off the low post work. It wasn't just about Roy scoring, and in fact Roy often flubbed shots he should make. But his passing from the post makes running guys off him a very effective method; either he gets the assist or he gets a true one on one opportunity. They were at their best working off that.

I'm really back to being sick of Troy and watching teams just attack him at will. I don't mean beating him, I mean that they run plays or isos meant to go at him specifically because that's what they think of his defense.

Yes he had some hustle plays but he also had so many times where he basically was the door to their points that it's tough to find joy in seeing him play.

Of course I've had it with TJ too, similar reasons. SOME good plays is just not enough.

I thought Watson and Jones both had pretty subpar games, very sloppy. I saw both get beat, even away from the ball which seemed out of character for them. It would have been nice to see Watson sit another game and just stick with Price, who I think has shown great promise and productive play already.

The main thing for all opinions in this game - IT WAS THE NETS. Not just the win, but all aspects of what the Pacers were able to do and how they looked. It's dangerous to buy into this game too much.

OTOH it beat the hell out of losing to them.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I've been impressed with Tyler's defense.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Tyler has two good games in a row, at least by impact and points/boards overall. But I still stand by the opinion that in the low post he is badly overmatched as a scorer. The fade pop and the high post jumper drew applause from me however.

In our lively post-game discussion I think Bill and Hicks and I agreed that Tyler is best when he is used appropriately. What that means is not using him as a scoring option, but letting him get his points off of other options. Kick to him, let him get the loose putbacks, and back off posting him or forcing him to drive much.
    Why would want to limit his offensive impact on the game to only wide open jump shots and easy put backs. He is better than a garbage man.

Honestly you are completely underestimating his ability after only like 12 games being active. Dude is a freaking rookie, who didn't have a training camp or a preseason, and he is out there drawing fouls, making the hustle plays, getting rebounds, and scoring in double figures, and having a huge impact on the game when he is out there. He might be over matched inside but he knows how to draw the foul. Which is exactly what this team needs. Soon he will be able to convert alot of those shots and get the AND-1.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to theboyjwo For This Useful Post:

everytime Lopez and Hibbert square off we have a good match up. Both Centers are our traditional type of Centers. Im still amazed that Lopez went #10, I was really hoping that NJ didnt pick him and we took Lopez instead of Bayless in that draft
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyjwo View Post
    Why would want to limit his offensive impact on the game to only wide open jump shots and easy put backs. He is better than a garbage man.

Honestly you are completely underestimating his ability after only like 12 games being active. Dude is a freaking rookie, who didn't have a training camp or a preseason, and he is out there drawing fouls, making the hustle plays, getting rebounds, and scoring in double figures, and having a huge impact on the game when he is out there. He might be over matched inside but he knows how to draw the foul. Which is exactly what this team needs. Soon he will be able to convert alot of those shots and get the AND-1.
    Hansbrough is a very smart players. He definitely has high basketball IQ.
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

33l3g3nd

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    Hansbrough is a very smart players. He definitely has high basketball IQ.
    exactly, that is what alot of people dont see when they look at pure stats, and whats more, hansbrough is grossly underrated by virtually everyone right now given he does not play the style of play that is typical and popular in the nba right now. there have been many atheletically gifted players that have not performed or ever panned out, however hansbrough has something far more rare, he has more fire than the entire team combined, he plays every play like its the last seconds of the nba finals game 7, you cant say that about anyone in the entire league right now, you are only OVERMATCHED if you are OUTPLAYED, and no one out plays hansbrough. he reminds me of a rabid dave cowens on steroids.

To all the guys that think Hansbrough isn't efficient enough... tell me what you would rather take...

Mystery Player- 34 minutes 8-18 shooting 20 points 5 rebounds 4 turnovers +/- = +3
    Tyler- 24 minutes 8-18 shooting 21 points 7 rebounds 3 steals and 0 turnovers +/-= +16

Now the mystery player is actually Kobe Bryant's stat line from tonight. You guys are way too greedy with Hansbrough... give the guy a break its his what? 15th game? you expect im to adapt that quickly? He for one is still finding his shot and 2. NO ONE on this team is assertive. At least he wants to score.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to TH50 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TH50 View Post
    To all the guys that think Hansbrough isn't efficient enough... tell me what you would rather take...

Mystery Player- 34 minutes 8-18 shooting 20 points 5 rebounds 4 turnovers +/- = +3
    Tyler- 24 minutes 8-18 shooting 21 points 7 rebounds 3 steals and 0 turnovers +/-= +16

Now the mystery player is actually Kobe Bryant's stat line from tonight. You guys are way too greedy with Hansbrough... give the guy a break its his what? 15th game? you expect im to adapt that quickly? He for one is still finding his shot and 2. NO ONE on this team is assertive. At least he wants to score.
    I realize you're not really directly comparing them...BUT... 1) Kobe is a guard. 2) He has the best defender on him at all times often even the top two (sometimes 3) best defenders on him. 3) I don't know who he played tonight but I gaurentee a better team than the Nets. 4) He's been around long enough that everyone knows his moves but he is still that effective.

Now with that being said I am more than happy with Hands, Bro so far!
    Report: 82% Of Wiseguys Think They're Real Funny

Quote Originally Posted by MrSparko View Post
    I realize you're not really directly comparing them...BUT... 1) Kobe is a guard. 2) He has the best defender on him at all times often even the top two (sometimes 3) best defenders on him. 3) I don't know who he played tonight but I gaurentee a better team than the Nets. 4) He's been around long enough that everyone knows his moves but he is still that effective.

1. yes i understand the position comparisons. I'm just saying... not every body shoots 60-70 percent every night.. every player forces shots.. 2. he played the twolves hahah so one could argue they are worse :P..

This doesn't really change anyting. Tyler's game still wasn't efficient. All you did here was prove that Kobe had an inefficient night as well. Many of those minutes he had a broken finger too, which could explain some of his issues.

Goodness the Nets are awful. It felt good to win one again. Actually thought TJ played well by the standard he's set this year. I'm still left wishing I could see more AJP and LH though.

Fun to watch Lopez and Hibbert go head to head. They work up quite a lather. Agree with those emphasizing the improved ball movement in DG's absence. If this keeps up we'll have to conclude there's a connection.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

You can say "It was the Nets" all you want to, but that doesn't change the fact that Devin Harris and Brook Lopez are, right now, probably the two best players on either roster (minus Danny, of course).
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by theboyjwo View Post
    Why would want to limit his [Hansborogh] offensive impact on the game to only wide open jump shots and easy put backs. He is better than a garbage man?

Honestly, you are completely underestimating his ability after only like 12 games being active. Dude is a freaking rookie, who didn't have a training camp or a preseason, and he is out there drawing fouls, making the hustle plays, getting rebounds, and scoring in double figures, and having a huge impact on the game when he is out there. He might be over matched inside but he knows how to draw the foul. Which is exactly what this team needs. Soon he will be able to convert alot of those shots and get the AND-1.
    This reminds me of a post-draft read on Hansborough I came across that said essentially the same thing about him, that the only way he'd be an effective scorer was to use his hustle to his advantage and draw fouls. To that I say, "And?" Isnt' that what every team wants from a player? Someone who is unselfish and very willing to get after those loose balls, to scramble and bump bodies going after rebounds, who's unafraid to mix it up in the paint draw contact and get to the line? I say NEVER underestimate the hustle play that takes your opponent OUT of their offensive rhythme. THAT is what Tyler Hansborough brings to the hardwood and I LIKE IT!

So, no. Hansborough probably won't score alot from the field. He'll likely have a low FG % on the year, but so what? If he's crashing the boards and gobbling up rebounds thereby giving his team second-change opportunities while also keeping the ball out the opponent's hands and knocking down a few shots here and there while getting the And 1 and converting the 3-pt play, does it really matter how he scores as long as he's putting the ball in the basket and gets the opposing team's Bigs in foul trouble thus rendering them ineffective?

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE HUSTLE PLAY(ER).
    Last edited by NuffSaid; 12-12-2009 at 09:43 AM.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to NuffSaid For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    You can say "It was the Nets" all you want to, but that doesn't change the fact that Devin Harris and Brook Lopez are, right now, probably the two best players on either roster (minus Danny, of course).
    Fair enough but DH sure isn't playing like his normal self right now. I'll take the win even if "it was the Nets", which it was.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Interesting game.

Ford finally got a little offense going.

Murph found his shot again.

Dun hit some threes.

Roy was impressive down low.

Hansbrough had a sweet stroke going.

Brandon hit a few shots and drives.

HEY! Why do they all have to show up on the same night? Can't we spread it around over a few games.

Whatever, I'll take it. A win was so refreshing.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by MrSparko View Post

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This doesn't really change anyting. Tyler's game still wasn't efficient. All you did here was prove that Kobe had an inefficient night as well. Many of those minutes he had a broken finger too, which could explain some of his issues.
    MrSparko and cdash,

I think you guys are missing the point.

Granted, TH50 compared a rookie against one of the greatest players to ever lace them up in the NBA who play different positions and the more seasoned vet probably was having an off night, but you cannot discount Hansborough's contributions out there for the 10 fewer minutes he played whether he came up against a more elite team or a bottom feeder (of which the Pacers are in that category as well at the moment).

Look, Hans played his game the only way he knows how (at the moment; I think he'll get better over time). Kobe probably wasn't very Kobe-ish last night, but the point is Hans brought "it" to the hardwood last night from his relative position, and in one respect it doesn't matter if it was against a good team, a great team, and average team or a poor team. He played his game, he performed well (above expectations really) and helped his team win. Would we expect anything less from Kobe? LeBron? Melo? DWade?

I think Hans has played very well from Day 1, and he continues to get better and better with every game. Granted, I'd like to see how he performs against some of the better PFs out there, but for what it's worth I like what he brings to this team. With him, the Pacers can only get better.

As the Nets commentators noted last night, if he keeps hitting that outside shot, he will be a serious threat. Because he is pretty tough moving to the basket one on one.