Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 112

Thread: JOb is firmly with the vets

  1. #1
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,957

    Default JOb is firmly with the vets

    In the post-game show, Jim basically said the vets would be playing down the stretch. The way he said it left little doubt in my mind that this would not change all year. He was firm. He complained about Tyler's PnR defense...but didn't say nary a word about Aldridge lighting Murphy up like a Cuban cigar....and not a word about how well Tyler defended the post...and honestly didn't brag much at all about his nice game...dude said Tyler has a lot to learn. Hmmmm.

    Why does he love Murphy so much? He also brags about Foster's great Plus-Minus last year...but says nary a word about Murphy's plus-minus...which is the absolute worst one on the team this year.

    Honestly, some of you are probably confused by all of this. I have concluded that no one can possibly be this stupid. JOb is not a stupid man and I believe he is capable of being a good coach. Yes, you heard it correctly. I'll tell you what the problem really is. Actually, it has to be one of two things.

    1) JOb thinks the 3 point shot is the most important thing in basketball...by a wide margin

    OR

    2) Murphy, TJ and Foster are playing big minutes because they have very big contracts. IOW, they are being played because of financial reasons.

    Neither of these reasons will help you win games...which is why we have lost every game this season with Murphy except one.

  2. #2
    Danny Granger PowerRanger DGPR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Whiteland, IN
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,027

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JOb is firmly with the vets

    I think he feels obligated to play the big contract players because Simon wouldn't be ecstatic about 25 million dollars sitting on the bench.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to DGPR For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    22
    Posts
    1,272

    Default Re: JOb is firmly with the vets

    He's trying to keep his job.. which means he needs to win. He obviously thinks the veterans give him the best chance to win but he's pitifully mistaken, and what worries me about this is that he is so worried about his job that he is hindering the teams future by benching the young guys.

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spirit For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,161

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JOb is firmly with the vets

    Quote Originally Posted by JGray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's trying to keep his job.. which means he needs to win. He obviously thinks the veterans give him the best chance to win but he's pitifully mistaken, and what worries me about this is that he is so worried about his job that he is hindering the teams future by benching the young guys.
    And he's doing a bang-up job so far.

  7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:


  8. #5

    Default Re: JOb is firmly with the vets

    Has to be #2 because despite tonight, Price is the only point guard that can make a three.

  9. #6
    On the Vogel Wagon gummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    3,912
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JOb is firmly with the vets

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He complained about Tyler's PnR defense...but didn't say nary a word about Aldridge lighting Murphy up like a Cuban cigar....and not a word about how well Tyler defended the post...and honestly didn't brag much at all about his nice game...dude said Tyler has a lot to learn. Hmmmm.
    ...

    He also brags about Foster's great Plus-Minus last year...but says nary a word about Murphy's plus-minus...which is the absolute worst one on the team this year.
    Yep. Quite frankly this kind of inconsistency in his public comments has really been irritating me this year.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

    "Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

    Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

  10. #7

    Default Re: JOb is firmly with the vets

    BnG,
    That or news has come down from on high to go for a good draft pick this year. But, besides that yea, I don't think our coach is an idiot either. You can't land an NBA coaching job being a complete moron, even if it looks like that's what he is to us. I think something else is going on. Maybe it is the paychecks Murph and TJ get and TPTB figure no one will want them if they are benched for unknown and low status players. /shrug

    End result, we lose alot of games, but maybe we get a good pick? He certainly couldn't come out this year and say, you know what, we are tanking guys. Instead he slyly plays the vets hoping all the fans will catch on

  11. #8
    Danny Granger PowerRanger DGPR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Whiteland, IN
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,027

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JOb is firmly with the vets

    JOB said on his radio show the other day that players have to earn their starting spots (talking about Rush and Hibbert mainly) Then he says that Murphy is a definite starter even though he hasn't done anything deserving of a starting role. This tells me that Murphy either looks like a world-beater in practice or he's getting played because of his contract. A third theory might be that they are showcasing Murphy to other teams for a possible trade (doubted).
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

  12. #9

    Default Re: JOb is firmly with the vets

    All this is just............I'm so disgusted........I read all the posts and don't have **** to say......I love the Pacers to death......We're so bad it hurts........

  13. #10

    Default Re: JOb is firmly with the vets

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In the post-game show, Jim basically said the vets would be playing down the stretch. The way he said it left little doubt in my mind that this would not change all year. He was firm. He complained about Tyler's PnR defense...but didn't say nary a word about Aldridge lighting Murphy up like a Cuban cigar....and not a word about how well Tyler defended the post...and honestly didn't brag much at all about his nice game...dude said Tyler has a lot to learn. Hmmmm.

    Why does he love Murphy so much? He also brags about Foster's great Plus-Minus last year...but says nary a word about Murphy's plus-minus...which is the absolute worst one on the team this year.

    Honestly, some of you are probably confused by all of this. I have concluded that no one can possibly be this stupid. JOb is not a stupid man and I believe he is capable of being a good coach. Yes, you heard it correctly. I'll tell you what the problem really is. Actually, it has to be one of two things.

    1) JOb thinks the 3 point shot is the most important thing in basketball...by a wide margin

    OR

    2) Murphy, TJ and Foster are playing big minutes because they have very big contracts. IOW, they are being played because of financial reasons.

    Neither of these reasons will help you win games...which is why we have lost every game this season with Murphy except one.
    We need to boycott the team until they bench Murphy for his terrible play.

    *edit Murphy AND Ford.
    Last edited by Midcoasted; 12-09-2009 at 11:36 PM.

  14. #11

    Default Re: JOb is firmly with the vets

    Quote Originally Posted by DGPR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think he feels obligated to play the big contract players because Simon wouldn't be ecstatic about 25 million dollars sitting on the bench.
    I guess he is fine seeing 15000 empty seats in Conseco then.

  15. #12
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JOb is firmly with the vets

    Quote Originally Posted by Midcoasted View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We need to boycott the team until they bench Murphy for his terrible play.

    *edit Murphy AND Ford.
    Yeah, I can assure you that I won't be doing that. You guys can boycott all you want, it won't yield you any results.

    Heck, the majority of Indianapolis has boycotted the team since 2006 and we're still playing.

    So good luck with that one.
    Last edited by duke dynamite; 12-10-2009 at 12:19 AM.

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:


  17. #13

    Default Re: JOb is firmly with the vets

    Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, I can assure you that I won't be doing that. You guys can boycott all you want, it won't yield you any results.

    Heck, the majority of Indianapolis has boycotted the team since 2006 and we're still playing.

    So good luck with that one, sparky.
    This thing has gotten so bad that it is turning some of us more hot headed "lifer" fans to a temporary boycott of sorts. Just stop following them all together until they start doing things differently again. They waited to long to give Calisle the axe and now they are waiting to long for O'Brien.

  18. #14
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JOb is firmly with the vets

    Quote Originally Posted by Midcoasted View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This thing has gotten so bad that it is turning some of us more hot headed "lifer" fans to a temporary boycott of sorts. Just stop following them all together until they start doing things differently again. They waited to long to give Calisle the axe and now they are waiting to long for O'Brien.
    That makes absolutely no sense. What is a boycott going to do? Like I said most of the locals have shut the team out and it's no different.

    They won't fire the coach because a few people decided to jump onto the anti-bandwagon. If you're going to boycott the team, fine. I'm sure we'll miss you.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:


  20. #15
    Member ksuttonjr76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    3,359

    Default Re: JOb is firmly with the vets

    Quote Originally Posted by Midcoasted View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This thing has gotten so bad that it is turning some of us more hot headed "lifer" fans to a temporary boycott of sorts. Just stop following them all together until they start doing things differently again. They waited to long to give Calisle the axe and now they are waiting to long for O'Brien.
    I disagree. With Carlisle, Indiana made the playoffs each year he was coach except for his final year. Plus, Indiana was a projected championship team until the brawl and poor player decisions derailed the entire franchise. I still believe Carlisle was the better coach between him and JOB. Look at their respective records...

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:


  22. #16

    Default Re: JOb is firmly with the vets

    insanity - repeating the same action and expecting different results.


    Obviously playing the vets has worked SO well before, that continuing to do so is the right move.

  23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:


  24. #17
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JOb is firmly with the vets

    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    insanity - repeating the same action and expecting different results.


    Obviously playing the vets has worked SO well before, that continuing to do so is the right move.
    Our developing players had quite the outing tonight. I don't see anything wrong in their share of playing time.

  25. #18
    Member odeez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    3,776

    Default Re: JOb is firmly with the vets

    The sad truth here guys is that we are simply going to have to wait and wait some more. Not much is going to change till we are able to unload Murph, Dun, & TJ's contracts (plus the remainder of Tin's deal). That's about 37 million right there for this year. So yes, JOB is playing Murph and others because they are PAID players. The truth is Murph's not a bad player, he is just having a bad year, but at 11 million, it's something we can't really afford to have happening. It's too early to judge Dun this year, after coming off the injury. TJ, just makes me crazy with the way he plays, would rather see Watson or Price in there. It looks like we will just have to wait to see if we can move some of these deals at the trade deadline. If not then, maybe this summer or the 2010 trade deadline.
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

  26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to odeez For This Useful Post:


  27. #19
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: JOb is firmly with the vets

    That's disheartening to hear that on a night where, with warts certainly included, Tyler had a pretty damn nice night for a rookie, and the only thing Jim can do is NOT praise him at all, and in fact go on to focus on what's wrong with him. That's bull****, man. How about you build up your players a little bit in the press. Especially when you're completely soft on Troy Murphy's crap. Damn that does **** me off a little bit.

  28. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  29. #20
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: JOb is firmly with the vets

    As for TJ and Murphy down the stretch, it's usually begging for failure, but whatever. I'll just pretend he's tanking, even though I suspect he thinks he's helping our chances of winning.

  30. #21

    Default Re: JOb is firmly with the vets

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's disheartening to hear that on a night where, with warts certainly included, Tyler had a pretty damn nice night for a rookie, and the only thing Jim can do is NOT praise him at all, and in fact go on to focus on what's wrong with him. That's bull****, man. How about you build up your players a little bit in the press. Especially when you're completely soft on Troy Murphy's crap. Damn that does **** me off a little bit.
    A little bit? I think that's the angriest post I've ever seen from you. LOL

    -- Steve --

  31. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacersfan46 For This Useful Post:


  32. #22

    Default Re: JOb is firmly with the vets

    Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Our developing players had quite the outing tonight. I don't see anything wrong in their share of playing time.
    I don't see anything wrong in the developing players playing time.

    My point was, he's gone with troy and murphy for our entire loss streak..so when the game is tied because of the rookies..let's go back to troy and murphy.

  33. #23
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JOb is firmly with the vets

    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't see anything wrong in the developing players playing time.

    My point was, he's gone with troy and murphy for our entire loss streak..so when the game is tied because of the rookies..let's go back to troy and murphy.
    I want to make sure you just mean tonight because Price started playing again, after a loooong absence due to injury.

    Remember, Tyler was and probably still is on a pitch count, and tonight we saw that limit get lifted a little.

    That and I don't think our rookie(s) have really alone impacted any of the tempo of any particular game, with the exception of maybe a certain lineup to where everyone meshes and we dig ourselves out of a big hole.
    Last edited by duke dynamite; 12-10-2009 at 12:24 AM.

  34. #24

    Default Re: JOb is firmly with the vets

    Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I want to make sure you just mean tonight because Price started playing again, after a loooong absence due to injury.

    Remember, Tyler was and probably still is on a pitch count, and tonight we saw that limit get lifted a little.
    Price was inactive due to Dunleavy being healthy, not because he was injured.

    In previous games, JOB didn't have to go with Murphy and Ford, but chose to..but that'sbesides the point.

    In this game, when things were so clearly going better with Price and Hans in the game, JOB went right back to Ford and Murphy. It doesn't make sense..and it's clearly a losing formula. So JOB stating that he's going to continue to do that fits into my definition of insanity.

  35. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:


  36. #25
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JOb is firmly with the vets

    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Price was inactive due to Dunleavy being healthy, not because he was injured.
    AJ has actually been in a couple of games the past week or so with Dunleavy healthy, so I don't think that was it, plus I meant before that.
    From what I remember hearing from the broadcasts was that AJ had been out due to some form of injury. Plus Watson hasn't been that bad. I don't see the harm in playing a backup.
    Last edited by duke dynamite; 12-10-2009 at 12:35 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. Don Nelson's plan to rest Golden State Warriors vets controversial [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-02-2009, 08:40 PM
  2. Vets not contributing but getting too many mins!!!
    By kbills05 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 01-22-2009, 03:58 PM
  3. Injury-hit Shaq firmly denies retirement reports [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-25-2008, 06:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •