Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: David Thorpe on Rush/Bayless

  1. #1
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,614

    Default David Thorpe on Rush/Bayless

    http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/29807

    Earl (Shelbyville, IN)

    Would the Pacers be any better off if they had Jerryd Bayless right now (instead of Brandon Rush- the trade from last offseason)?


    David Thorpe (12:05 PM)
    Yep.

    Quick and to the point. I am still hoping we can send Murph or Foster for a package with Bayless

    yes Iam aware this topic has been beat like a rented mule
    Sittin on top of the world!

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: David Thorpe on Rush/Bayless

    It's hard to argue with such sound, well thought out reasoning.

  3. #3
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,614

    Default Re: David Thorpe on Rush/Bayless

    Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's hard to argue with such sound, well thought out reasoning.
    lmao,

    I realize Thorpe chats are like tweets
    Sittin on top of the world!

  4. #4
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,614

    Default Re: David Thorpe on Rush/Bayless

    http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/29822

    Bayless has been a bust and Andre Miller was an act of desperation. Aldridge was paid too much, I think Roy is a max player. All GMs have their mistakes, but I think, overall, Pritchard has been terrific. Do you remember how badly the Blazers sucked 3 years ago?

    Chad Ford
    Sittin on top of the world!

  5. #5
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,614

    Default Re: David Thorpe on Rush/Bayless

    Steve (San Antonio)

    Why isn't Roy Hibbert getting more PT? When he was getting 30 minutes plus, he seemed to be playing pretty well. Is Jeff Foster more valuable to have on the court?

    Chad Ford (1:25 PM)

    See the previous question about lumbering centers. Hibbert can't guard many of the guys coaches are using at the center position these days. He's just too slow laterally. Foster is a much better defender.


    kyle (los angeles)

    are the pacers now looking at a shot at John Wall now that Granger is out 4-6 weeks?


    Chad Ford (1:27 PM)

    I'm not sure if Larry Bird has offended the basketball Gods or what ... but he sure seems to have offended someone. Pacers have had bad break after bad break. I actually think they should, at this point, dump as much talent as they can (Granger would be the only untouchable) and try to ensure that they get a high pick next year. They really need another STAR next to Granger -- especially at the point. TJ Ford is not cutting it.
    The Basketball world is catching on.
    Sittin on top of the world!

  6. #6
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: David Thorpe on Rush/Bayless

    They'd be better off with Jack instead of either of them.

  7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to count55 For This Useful Post:


  8. #7
    Member OakMoses's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,031

    Default Re: David Thorpe on Rush/Bayless

    At some point, the Blazers are going to have to stop listening to Brandon Roy's opinion about their PG's or live with having a less-talented player on the floor.

    Roy didn't like playing with Jack, so they started Blake and traded Jack to Indiana. I think that Jack is clearly the more talented basketball player.

    Roy doesn't like playing with Andre Miller, so they start Blake and are trying to find someone to take on Miller's contract. Andre Miller is a better basketball player than Steve Blake.

    Bayless is in the same boat. Roy does not like playing with him, so he's never going to get big minutes, and the less physically-gifted Steve Blake is going to continue to be their starter.

    Roy wants a PG like Derek Fisher. Someone who can bring the ball up the court, pass it to him, and then knock down an open jumper if Roy decides to pass it back.

    I don't think we'd be any better off with Bayless than Rush. Bayless would be the back up to Ford. He'd have the exact same struggles with O'Brien that TJ does because he's the same kind of ball-dominant shoot first PG that TJ is.

    Rush at least filled some major needs before the signing of D. Jones. When we drafted him we desperately needed an athletic 2 guard who could play defense.

    I thought Rush played pretty well last night at times, especially in the 3rd quarter. He certainly didn't look at all inferior to Bayless.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

    - Salman Rushdie

  9. #8
    FREE LANCE MillerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,828

    Default Re: David Thorpe on Rush/Bayless

    its hard to discuss this trade without adding to the fact that we got Jack and McBob and we dumped Diogu
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.



  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MillerTime For This Useful Post:


  11. #9
    On the Vogel Wagon gummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    3,924
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: David Thorpe on Rush/Bayless

    I continue to think that Rush's offense will very likely never be consistently as good as it was at the end of last season but it will also not be as bad as it has been at the start of this year. It will improve to somewhere in between and he will have streaks during his career where he shoots it like he did at the end of last year.

    Bayless doesn't play a lick of defense as far as I can tell. No thanks, Thorpe.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

    "Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

    Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

  12. #10
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,086

    Default Re: David Thorpe on Rush/Bayless

    Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They'd be better off with Jack instead of either of them.
    Which Jack?
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  13. #11

    Default Re: David Thorpe on Rush/Bayless

    Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Basketball world is catching on.
    i wouldve bolded the part about dumping talent to ensure a high draft pick to get a star next to danny

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to SkipperZ For This Useful Post:


  15. #12
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,539

    Default Re: David Thorpe on Rush/Bayless

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Which Jack?
    Jarret.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:


  17. #13

    Default Re: David Thorpe on Rush/Bayless

    not that i disagree that ford doesnt cut it

  18. #14
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,614

    Default Re: David Thorpe on Rush/Bayless

    Quote Originally Posted by SkipperZ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i wouldve bolded the part about dumping talent to ensure a high draft pick to get a star next to danny
    Amen brother!
    Sittin on top of the world!

  19. #15
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: David Thorpe on Rush/Bayless

    Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Roy wants a PG like Derek Fisher. Someone who can bring the ball up the court, pass it to him, and then knock down an open jumper if Roy decides to pass it back.
    Ironically, Jack could have been good in this role.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  20. #16
    Member OakMoses's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,031

    Default Re: David Thorpe on Rush/Bayless

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ironically, Jack could have been good in this role.
    Yes, he could. I do question whether or not he was willing to accept that kind of a role so early in his career, especially before Roy was an established star and the unquestioned best player on the team.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

    - Salman Rushdie

Similar Threads

  1. Summer League Video Feed Thread
    By Hall O'Point in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 898
    Last Post: 07-11-2009, 06:40 AM
  2. David Thorpe on draft prospects
    By Placebo in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-19-2009, 01:17 PM
  3. David Thorpe: Kevin Durant heads list of best sophomores [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-10-2009, 05:20 PM
  4. Q & A with David Dupree 3-2
    By Jose Slaughter in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-04-2005, 03:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •