Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: O'Brien says team to go small...

Default O'Brien says team to go small...

from today's Wells article.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2009...-with-big-hole

Jim O'Brien didn't mince his words.
    Leading scorer Danny Granger will miss at least a month with a torn plantar fascia in his right foot, and there is only one way the reeling Indiana Pacers can compete without him, much less salvage their season.
    Push the tempo, make open 3-point shots and move without the ball.
    Play more like last season, in other words, when they averaged 105 points per game.
    "I don't think 97 points (a game) is going to make it with our basketball team," the Pacers coach said Tuesday. "It might work if we had a different group of players. We are individually not good enough to slow it down and play paint by numbers."
    Granger tore his plantar fascia, a thick sheet of connected tissue that covers the arch on the bottom of the foot, in the third quarter of Saturday's loss to the Los Angeles Clippers. He won't have surgery and will begin rehabilitation immediately. He could miss up to six weeks, as many as 25 games.
    Granger did not talk to the media Tuesday as he left Conseco Fieldhouse on crutches and wearing a walking boot.
    "It's tough; you never want to see anybody get hurt," point guard T.J. Ford said. "You definitely want everybody to play 82 games. Is that realistic on an NBA team? I don't think so. Hopefully he can get healthy because we're definitely going to need him down the stretch."
    Granger's injury comes at a time when the schedule gets easier: Just five of the Pacers' next 15 games are against teams with winning records.
    Even with Granger, the Pacers have lost nine of their past 10. Collectively, they'll have to overcome the loss of Granger's 24.4 points per game. They were 9-6 without him last season.
    "You hate to lose anybody, certainly Danny, who is an All-Star caliber player, and to lose him leaves a big hole that cannot be filled by any individual," O'Brien said. "It has to be filled by the collective group.
    "When it comes right down to it, you have to go out and win basketball games with whoever you have playing."
    O'Brien plans to start Brandon Rush after moving him to the bench for lack of production last week. Dahntay Jones will slide to Granger's spot at small forward.
    "It's a big hit and we have to try to stay focused because we need a win bad," Rush said. "It's definitely a good feeling that (O'Brien) still has confidence in me and everybody has confidence in me. I just have to stay ready and stay confident."
    O'Brien isn't ready to start Mike Dunleavy (knee). He still is limited to about 20 minutes a game and O'Brien wants him available late in close games.
    The Pacers will use a small lineup featuring two point guards more frequently, and Luther Head, who is averaging 15 minutes a game, will be the second swingman off the bench.The Pacers said the ball will move more without Granger because they have had the tendency to watch him instead of cutting.
    "We're 6-12. We just need to play better," Dunleavy said. "That's the bottom line. Hopefully it emphasizes we need to get back to our offensive ways again. Running, pushing the ball and moving; not relying on one guy standing. Maybe we'll get a positive out of it. We're going to have to find a way."

Translation: If the front office would let him Jim O'Brien would like to trade Roy Hibbert for Brian Cardinal.

Honestly I can't say if this is just becomeing more cliche' or a sad joke. Can anyone tell me the circumstance in which O'Brien would say that we need to get some size and play a more deliberate style to maximize opprotunities?

Raise your hands if you didn't think you would hear that we were going to go small? Our center goes down we need to go small, our small forward goes down we need to go small our point guard is down we need to go small.

I'm pretty sure if you asked him what the solution to the conflict in the Middle East he would determine a way to go small and get up more shots.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Default Re: O'Brien says team to go small...

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm pretty sure if you asked him what the solution to the conflict in the Middle East he would determine a way to go small and get up more shots.
    That doesn't seem like it would contribute to solving the conflict.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Pingu For This Useful Post:

has he ever said anything else?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to xtacy For This Useful Post:

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I hear he's going to go with anyone we have left.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xtacy View Post
    has he ever said anything else?
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

i wish obie would address the slipping defense instead. we were top 6 in fg% defense earlier in the season; we're now around 10th. the trend for the past 10 games has been particularly brutal, save for the 2 clipper games. i would have thought this would alarm the coach, seeing that fg% defense was one of his stated goals in the offseason. i don't recall obie setting goals for ppg before has he? but suddenly it's a concern now?

i know it's a bit of a dead horse now around here, but like a lot of us i think the wins earlier in the season have more to do with the improved defense, seeing that our offense has sucked all season long.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ford, Watson, Dun, Murphy, Foster????

Or

Ford, Watson, Dun, Rush, Murphy

With Danny out we don't have a 3/4. So what???

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post

Or

more like Ford, Watson, Head, Dun and Rush.

Quote Originally Posted by bellisimo View Post
    a line-up to make don nelson jealous.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to xtacy For This Useful Post:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by xtacy View Post
    a line-up to make don nelson jealous.
    Actually, with Dun at point-forward, your backcourt could be Head and Rush.

Doesn't matter, though, as its almost impossible to keep Murphy off the court with Danny out. Any time Murphy is on the court, we're "going small" with a guy that isn't actually small.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post

Or

Best Guess:

Hibbert
    Murphy
    Rush
    DJones
    Ford

Bench: Foster, Dunleavy, Hansbrough, Watson.

Maybe he extends the bench to include Head because of the minutes limitations on Hansbrough and Dunleavy.

Hibbert will fluctuate between 15 and 25 minutes, depending on matchups.

It's possible he'll start Foster, and Hibbert may end up being on the same rotation with Hansbrough, as O'Brien has said he thinks those two make a nice pairing.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to count55 For This Useful Post:

Translation: If the front office would let him Jim O'Brien would like to trade Roy Hibbert for Brian Cardinal.

Honestly I can't say if this is just becomeing more cliche' or a sad joke. Can anyone tell me the circumstance in which O'Brien would say that we need to get some size and play a more deliberate style to maximize opprotunities?

Raise your hands if you didn't think you would hear that we were going to go small? Our center goes down we need to go small, our small forward goes down we need to go small our point guard is down we need to go small.

I think you are way overreacting, reading into what really isn't there. Besides you should be happy Head is going to play. I expect the power forward and center to be the same as it has been the past 10 days or so. In fact with Granger out we know he won't be playing any PF minutes, so that might mean more minutes for the big guys.

I don't see this as any news at all

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

from today's Wells article.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2009...-with-big-hole

Jim O'Brien didn't mince his words.
    Leading scorer Danny Granger will miss at least a month with a torn plantar fascia in his right foot, and there is only one way the reeling Indiana Pacers can compete without him, much less salvage their season.
    Push the tempo, make open 3-point shots and move without the ball.
    Play more like last season, in other words, when they averaged 105 points per game.
    "I don't think 97 points (a game) is going to make it with our basketball team," the Pacers coach said Tuesday. "It might work if we had a different group of players. We are individually not good enough to slow it down and play paint by numbers."
    Granger tore his plantar fascia, a thick sheet of connected tissue that covers the arch on the bottom of the foot, in the third quarter of Saturday's loss to the Los Angeles Clippers. He won't have surgery and will begin rehabilitation immediately. He could miss up to six weeks, as many as 25 games.
    Granger did not talk to the media Tuesday as he left Conseco Fieldhouse on crutches and wearing a walking boot.
    "It's tough; you never want to see anybody get hurt," point guard T.J. Ford said. "You definitely want everybody to play 82 games. Is that realistic on an NBA team? I don't think so. Hopefully he can get healthy because we're definitely going to need him down the stretch."
    Granger's injury comes at a time when the schedule gets easier: Just five of the Pacers' next 15 games are against teams with winning records.
    Even with Granger, the Pacers have lost nine of their past 10. Collectively, they'll have to overcome the loss of Granger's 24.4 points per game. They were 9-6 without him last season.
    "You hate to lose anybody, certainly Danny, who is an All-Star caliber player, and to lose him leaves a big hole that cannot be filled by any individual," O'Brien said. "It has to be filled by the collective group.
    "When it comes right down to it, you have to go out and win basketball games with whoever you have playing."
    O'Brien plans to start Brandon Rush after moving him to the bench for lack of production last week. Dahntay Jones will slide to Granger's spot at small forward.
    "It's a big hit and we have to try to stay focused because we need a win bad," Rush said. "It's definitely a good feeling that (O'Brien) still has confidence in me and everybody has confidence in me. I just have to stay ready and stay confident."
    O'Brien isn't ready to start Mike Dunleavy (knee). He still is limited to about 20 minutes a game and O'Brien wants him available late in close games.
    The Pacers will use a small lineup featuring two point guards more frequently, and Luther Head, who is averaging 15 minutes a game, will be the second swingman off the bench.The Pacers said the ball will move more without Granger because they have had the tendency to watch him instead of cutting.
    "We're 6-12. We just need to play better," Dunleavy said. "That's the bottom line. Hopefully it emphasizes we need to get back to our offensive ways again. Running, pushing the ball and moving; not relying on one guy standing. Maybe we'll get a positive out of it. We're going to have to find a way."

Would not be surprised if he is in consultation with team doctors about surgical intervention for Roy to reduce his height by about 8 inches and get him to play smaller and get lower into his stance.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    Would not be surprised if he is in consultation with team doctors about surgical intervention for Roy to reduce his height by about 8 inches and get him to play smaller and get lower into his stance.
    Can't we just hook Roy up with Steve Martin?

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

24. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

I have noticed the Pacers getting smaller and smaller. You could call them "the Incredible Shrinking NBA team".

You can't get them on TV or radio anywhere I live. League pass is the only place now and I didn't subscribe this year.

If it wasn't for Pacer Digest, I wouldn't even pay attention to them now.

Shoot, I barely notice them anymore.

GO COLTS

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

If JOB really wante to get up more shots, my lineup would be:
    -Hibbert, Foster,Murph,Dun,Ford
    The other team would likely score so quickly we would have to get more posessions & thus more opportunities for shots!

Seriously though...
    If we think Hibbert can score like he has shown at times he can, I would like to see Foster (or even S.Jones) get some min's @ the 4. Would make more sense if it were Murph who was out & not Granger, but I still think I would like to see it. I just like the idea of the size/quickness next to Roy vs what we are doing now w/ Murph.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

Quote Originally Posted by bellisimo View Post
    I think he'd be more successful with:

Watson, Head, Dun, Solo, Foster

If you want to push the tempo, move better without the ball, create spacing, get rebounds, block shots and better defend the PnR, THIS IS YOUR GROUP TO DO IT!

I'm hoping regardless of who gets minutes we see a similar type thing that happened in Sacramento when Kevin Martin went down. That would be awesome!

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

All I can see right now is the scene from "The Wizard of Oz" where the Munchkins (or was it the Lollipop Guild) start saying "Follow the yellow brick road. Follow the yellow brick road. Follow the yellow brick road!" and then eventually leads to them breaking into song.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Given the current atmosphere around the forum I'd expect folks to break out into "Ding, Dong, the Witch is Dead" once JOB is no longer around.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Given the current atmosphere around the forum I'd expect folks to break out into "Ding, Dong, the Witch is Dead" once JOB is no longer around.
    Didn't she dye her hair black but keep it grey on the sides?

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Yes! High draft pick, here we come!

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    Best Guess:

Hibbert
    Murphy
    Rush
    DJones
    Ford

Bench: Foster, Dunleavy, Hansbrough, Watson.

Maybe he extends the bench to include Head because of the minutes limitations on Hansbrough and Dunleavy.

Hibbert will fluctuate between 15 and 25 minutes, depending on matchups.

It's possible he'll start Foster, and Hibbert may end up being on the same rotation with Hansbrough, as O'Brien has said he thinks those two make a nice pairing.
    Is that "going small?" I would have thought we'd see one big at a time, with the other four positions divided between Dahntay, TJ, Earl, Mike, Brandon, and Head? I mean, that's what I would have thought going small meant.

Ehh...we'll see soon.

----------------------

Well, I just got the Tip-Off email, and you correctly ID'd the starters. How is that a small line-up? Oh well...Much to-do about not much. He might as well have said, "In the absence of Danny Granger, we will not be playing Danny Granger." We've seen Earl and TJ show up on the floor together plenty of times when Granger was playing.
    Last edited by kester99; 12-09-2009 at 11:42 AM.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

Quote Originally Posted by kester99 View Post
    Is that "going small?" I would have thought we'd see one big at a time, with the other four positions divided between Dahntay, TJ, Earl, Mike, Brandon, and Head? I mean, that's what I would have thought going small meant.

Ehh...we'll see soon.
    O'Brien will be considerably less willing to play only one big without Danny. There is quite a sizable difference between what O'Brien considers "going small," and the way it's being portrayed.

O'Brien considers starting Foster at the 5 as "going small." Therefore, any two player combination involving Murph, Foster, and Buckaroo, he would consider "going small" at the big position. O'Brien's opinion, (or at least what I can cobble together from listening to him) is that this team has only one "true" center on the roster: Hibbert. He thinks that Foster is smart enough and strong enough to "fake" it, but isn't a center. Solo is getting squeezed because Obie considers him a 4, and he prefers Murph and Buckaroo, with a smattering of Foster at that position.

With Danny available, he is willing to go with just one big. Danny brings better size, strength, and athleticism than any of the other wings. Without Danny, his version of going small at the bigs will likely mean nothing more than not having Hibbert on the floor.

The "two point guards" comment is the more telling statement. He's going to play Dahntay and Dunleavy as much as he can, but Junior's going to be pegged to 20 minutes, give or take a couple. So, the two PG comment, and the mention of Luther Head, tells me that he doesn't entirely (or sorta) trust Brandon Rush.

If Rush spends much time doing his relatively on-the-nose impression of a pumpkin, then he'll get yanked, and we'll see a lot of Ford/Watson/Head...in some cases, all at the same time.

If Rush can start producing, then the lineups will be relatively standard...given the roster that they have.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to count55 For This Useful Post: