Page 3 of 91 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2010 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Official 2010 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

Quote Originally Posted by IndyProdigy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Kalin Lucas would have something to say about that. Hes a true leader and has a lot of heart. i would love to have Kalin.
    I wouldn't spend a first round pick on Kalin Lucas. He's too small and doesn't have the superior athleticism needed to make up for his lack of size. Hell, he's smaller than T.J. Ford and doesn't have his speed. I'd say the current T.J. Ford is Lucas' ceiling in the NBA. That isn't worth a first round pick. Especially where we'll be picking.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    I wouldn't spend a first round pick on Kalin Lucas. He's too small and doesn't have the superior athleticism needed to make up for his lack of size. Hell, he's smaller than T.J. Ford and doesn't have his speed. I'd say the current T.J. Ford is Lucas' ceiling in the NBA. That isn't worth a first round pick. Especially where we'll be picking.
    Never said he had to be our first pick. i was just debating the fact that there are other decent true pg's in the draft other than wall.
    but now that you mention it, im not concerned with having a super athletic pg, just a pg that can lead a team. kalin can certainly do that, and he can create shots for himself for how small he is, and he can hit clutch shots.

and i def. believe kalin lucas will be a better pro than aj price. count it.
    Last edited by IndyProdigy; 12-16-2009 at 02:30 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Here is my problem with the way Bird drafted last year:

I love Hansbrough, everyone knows I'm a UNC fan and even said he'd make a living in the NBA doing exactly what we are seeing now. However, our two weaknesses last year were PG and PF. Last years draft class was stacked with PG's while this one is stacked with PF's. I really doubt we'll find the PG we really need in this class, just hindering our rebuild.

I'm still happy with Hansbrough, don't get me wrong - but I have no clue what we are going to do in this draft. Drafting a PF would just make Hansbrough a waste of a lottery pick, we don't need a Center or SF, and there aren't many impact SG's outside Turner who recently had a huge injury(Warren is 6'4, I stay away from smaller players), not to mention we really don't need a wing anyway.

I'm thinking unless we hit lottery gold or just suck the rest of the season up, we should maybe look to trade our likely lottery pick with 2 of our expiring contracts for a star to go with Granger. Harris could be a possibility if the Nets get Wall - not saying that deal, but something along those lines might make more sense than drafting a player that won't fill a need.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post

I love Hansbrough, everyone knows I'm a UNC fan and even said he'd make a living in the NBA doing exactly what we are seeing now. However, our two weaknesses last year were PG and PF. Last years draft class was stacked with PG's while this one is stacked with PF's. I really doubt we'll find the PG we really need in this class, just hindering our rebuild.

I'm still happy with Hansbrough, don't get me wrong - but I have no clue what we are going to do in this draft. Drafting a PF would just make Hansbrough a waste of a lottery pick, we don't need a Center or SF, and there aren't many impact SG's outside Turner who recently had a huge injury(Warren is 6'4, I stay away from smaller players), not to mention we really don't need a wing anyway.

I'm thinking unless we hit lottery gold or just suck the rest of the season up, we should maybe look to trade our likely lottery pick with 2 of our expiring contracts for a star to go with Granger. Harris could be a possibility if the Nets get Wall - not saying that deal, but something along those lines might make more sense than drafting a player that won't fill a need.
    Yeah, I have had similar thoughts. I guess you can't really blame Bird too much though. It's impossible to predict the future, and while this year's draft looked like it was strong with post players, it was far from a sure thing. He targeted who he wanted and got him. It's just odd how it has worked out.

I'm obsessed w/ Patrick Patterson out of UK. Dominate rebounder, good shooter, shot blocker, aggressive, emotional, low post scorer, this is the guy I want.
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

Way to go Jim, you may have just put our franchise back another 4+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by Thesterovic View Post
    I'm obsessed w/ Patrick Patterson out of UK. Dominate rebounder, good shooter, shot blocker, aggressive, emotional, low post scorer, this is the guy I want.
    I'm with you. I was beating the drum for him in last year's draft, if he came out.

I don't know about aggressive. He's kind of staying out of the way, IMHO. He needs to anchor that team. He needs to step in when they hit a lull, and demand the ball and keep them going.

When UNC made their run, he didn't step up and be the leader. He needs to do that.

With that said, he is a very, very good player. He's showing consistant range on his outside shot, and when you combine that with his ability in the middle, it's very intriguing. He's a little undersized, and plays the same position as Hans, but he will be a very nice player in the league.

Again, only my opinion.

I'm thinking unless we hit lottery gold or just suck the rest of the season up, we should maybe look to trade our likely lottery pick with 2 of our expiring contracts for a star
    This is what I advocated last year instead of picking Hans. I still think that would have been a good strategy.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Dominant.

"Dominate" is a verb. "Dominant" is an adjective.

"I expect Patrick to dominate" is ok.

"I expect Patrick to be a dominant player" is also ok.

Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Dominant.

While you are grammar tutoring, would you be so kind to explain the difference between then and than.... PLEASE??

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    While you are grammar tutoring, would you be so kind to explain the difference between then and than.... PLEASE??
    I'd defend you, but I don't think Patrick Patterson qualifies as a "dominate" or "dominant" rebounder.

Edit: You didn't write the original. Just kidding.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

I'm not sure there's a PG after Hansbrough that I would have taken instead of T. Don't see Lawson, Maynor, Holiday, Collison or Teague (all taken 17-21) as stud starter PGs, just all as very good second squad guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Dominant.

UGh...I swear there is one of every forum.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by theboyjwo View Post
    UGh...I swear there is one of every forum.
    I can't stand people that went to Text Message High School either.

Anyway... realistically... we will be choosing somewhere between 6 and 11. In looking at our roster, we need a starting PG and PF for our long term depth chart. We have Price and Hansborough who will be great backups. I like Price's upside as a starter much more than Hansborough's. It's the NBA guys.

In saying this, we can't really rely on players such as Wall, Favors, Turner, and Aldrich being available. Ed Davis and Willie Warren we might have a shot at assuming we are 6 or 7. I really like Ed Davis, while I really dislike Warren for our team. We have a roster full of guys that need ball movement and ball domination at the top of the key has left our offense stagnant at times this year [cough, Ford, DJones, and even Granger, cough].

I really like the numerous PF/C available from 6-11, especially Greg Monroe. I think he brings the toughness, intelligence, rebounding, and ability to score in the post that would be GREAT for our team's needs. I would say the same thing about Patrick Patterson as well. A couple of guys such as Cousins UK, Henson and Thompson UNC, Booker Clemson, and Michael Washington Arkansas are all wild card guys who I think have the size and skill sets that will transfer to the NBA. My ideal situation would be to get an ELITE PF/C, but these guys would be great players to bring in with a late first or our second rounder if we go PG early(DUMB). IMO, WE MUST GO PF/C with our lottery pick. There are too many good ones high in this draft, which means we will get value on a big man.

If we want an early second round PG prospect, Sherron Collins of Kansas would be a good guy to look at. He is short, but stocky and can pass and handle the ball well.

I really love watching Larry Sanders play, but he will be a backup player in the NBA. His frame is too wiry and he doesn't have enough offensive potential to really deliver the impact NBA teams want out of a starter. The LAST thing we need is a player with potential. Donatas Motiejunas would be a player I would stay away from... just because we need bulk and size and he is a much bigger question mark. I would put Jerome James in this question mark category. I have seen him play this year and he looks better and better each time I see him, but he is still raw, but clearly has an NBA body and length. The wings this year have a TON of athleticism, which is great but not for the makeup of our roster.

I would like to know more about Craig Brackens, since he was linked to the Pacers a bit last year, but I know nothing about him.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to pacergod2 For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by iPACER View Post
    I'm not sure there's a PG after Hansbrough that I would have taken instead of T. Don't see Lawson, Maynor, Holiday, Collison or Teague (all taken 17-21) as stud starter PGs, just all as very good second squad guys.
    Hansbrough will never be a stud starter either. I would have rather had Maynor last year because the PFs are plentiful this year and the PGs are not. But obviously it's too late for that and hindsight is 20/20.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

When i look at our roster, just about everybody is expendable. and i could see alot of guys fitting in our system.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

I strongly feel that he will play his way into a top 6 ranking or better, thus being out of reach for the Pacers.

As a non-believer in Hans you can imagine my frustration since I fully agree that you had more bigs this year and more PGs last year. Of course they did get Price with a 2nd round pick and I thought he was definitely one of the 6-8 best PG prospects.

I still feel like Price is a better prospect than Lawson or Flynn. Seriously. It may not look like that now due to playing time, but there are always those guys that are gangbusters for a short period and then fall way back.

However, even if we had taken Blair and PF looked locked down now, I'd still look at Patterson, Monroe and Sanders. Good is good. You build a team but that doesn't mean throwing talent aside if you fall into it.

I mean if Patterson is better than Tyler why wouldn't you take him? It's still a talent upgrade. Don't let past mistakes create new ones.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Grammar RANT

Anthem correcting grammar is so terrible? It's not like he was a d*** about it. We all understand typos and spelling mistakes, but this was a correctly spelled word being used incorrectly. Plus it's one of the most common mistakes going these days.

I'm starting to really hate this era of "being smart makes you a loser". I will type in sound-alikes with the best of them but that doesn't mean everyone has to accept it. Go ahead and point it out, I'm happy for the editing help.

This is a forum of WRITTEN communication. It doesn't hurt to be a competent writer if you are going to participate. People will judge your writing just as much as they'd judge an accent or pronunciation if you were speaking. Doesn't mean the points being made are wrong, it's just a fact of life.

22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Grammar RANT

Anthem correcting grammar is so terrible? It's not like he was a d*** about it. We all understand typos and spelling mistakes, but this was a correctly spelled word being used incorrectly. Plus it's one of the most common mistakes going these days.

I'm starting to really hate this era of "being smart makes you a loser". I will type in sound-alikes with the best of them but that doesn't mean everyone has to accept it. Go ahead and point it out, I'm happy for the editing help.

This is a forum of WRITTEN communication. It doesn't hurt to be a competent writer if you are going to participate. People will judge your writing just as much as they'd judge an accent or pronunciation if you were speaking. Doesn't mean the points being made are wrong, it's just a fact of life.
    You take the good, you take the bad, you take them both, and then you have... The Facts of Life!

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post

At a base level, I come to this forum to learn. I learn about the Pacers, the NBA, and basketball in general. Why not learn a little grammar while I'm at it?
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

25. The Following User Says Thank You to OakMoses For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    At a base level, I come to this forum to learn. I learn about the Pacers, the NBA, and basketball in general. Why not learn a little grammar while I'm at it?
    I come to this forum to peer-edit my english papers.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyProdigy View Post
    I come to this forum to peer-edit my english papers.
    Sounds like my day job.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

I do NOT like Willie Warren out of OKU. He is a shooting guard in a point guards' body and he isn't a very good passer. He shys away from the ball in slumps an he lacks explosiveness and speed. I see more Eddie House/Luther Head than Ben Gordon/Eric Gordon.

I don't like Ed Davis as our future big either. He doesn't have much size and doesn't play with alot of energy. He also seems very raw and inexperienced.

I think Cole Aldrich would be a good pick if we ended up w/ 8-14 again. Make that a great pick. But he has almost no star potential and if we end up with a really nice pick I would be upset if Bird picked him up.

Pros:Evan Turner, Patrick Patterson, Derrick Favors, LARRY SANDERS

We need to get another pick to get Sanders. He would be a perfect tough and nasty interior defender since the days of the Davis brothers. This guy has a 7"7' wingspan! Very mobile and can hopefully hold his own on offense.
    Last edited by Thesterovic; 12-22-2009 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Adding stuff.
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

I think we're gonna land in the 5-8 draft spot. Unfortunately that will probably mean we wont be able to draft for our most needed position at point guard.

I really like demarcus cousins from kentucky, hes massive (6'10 and 250+) and would be a beast in the paint

Love cole adrich, the kid is also massive and has a nice touch for a big man

like xavier henry, B-rush hasn't panned out this year offensively so maybe he could spread the floor with his great shot

and i like evan turner, he seems to be a do-it-all type player and there aren't many of those on this team

those are the guys i've noticed so far...this appears to be a weaker draft than recent years which figures that we would have a high pick this year. oh well

I think Cousins could increase his stock if he stayed longer though. He's raw and just needs to polish his all-around game. Kind of like what Josh McRoberts should have done.