Page 2 of 91 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2010 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Official 2010 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

Quote Originally Posted by Burtrem Redneck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks for starting this up, I am pretty clueless when it comes to college kids. Who is the best PG in the draft? Besides Wall of course, and not a ballhog SG in a PG body kind of PG, but a real pass first type floor general.

I was checkin out nbadraft.com yesterday and they had 0 pass first PGs in their whole mock draft, and very few PGs at all (john wall excluded).

From what you guys are saying it seems like the top 3 picks will be great players and after that is pretty meh. Here's to the number 5 pick!
    Willie Warren is really the only other 1st round PG in my opinion and he's pretty much the exact type of PG you say you don't want.

If we wanted a PG without the first pick in the draft (which is what Wall should be) we should have gotten him last year. And in all honesty, I think A.J. Price is better than any of the PGs in this draft not named Wall or Warren.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

I don't know what to thank of Wall. Did he not get arressted for breaking and entering? I didn't really follow it maybe nothing came out of that. I would be very cautious of that though. It was one thing to take a chance on AJ Price with the 52nd pick but drafting John Wall as the face of your franchise a lot of homework would need to be done on him.

My favorite guard for the Pacers out of this draft is probably Willie Warren. He would provide a lot of offense. He is a little small but he is strong and quick. A combo guard maybe he can develop into a point guard similar to Rodney Stuckey. The problem with Warren is his defense still needs some work from what I have seen of him. I like Evan Turner too he is a nice all around player but is he more Brandon Roy or Marquis Daniels?

This draft has a lot of nice big men prospects. Greg Monroe is nice and so is Patrick Patterson he is a favorite of mine but I don't know that either is a good fit with Roy and Tyler. Ed Davis could be a nice fit. Super athletic, can block shots, and score.

As of right now someone who has shot up my draft board, if i'm the Pacers, is VCU's Larry Sanders. I think this guy is EXACTLY what the Pacers need in a big. It's like he is made for this team. He is 6'10 with a 7'7 wingspan! Quickness is good. Earns his minutes on the defensive end and rebounds well too. He has only being playing organized basketball since his junior year in high school. To me this guy is the ideal person to play with Roy and Tyler.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    If you don't count the draft night trade for Bender in '99, the last time the Pacers drafted in the top-10 was in 1989 when they took George McCloud 7th.

For the record, last year's thread was started November 28th.
    Actually I believe in 1996 the Pacers drafted Erick Dampier 10th overall. A great pick considering nobody worth a damn was left on the board.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

The chances of getting the #1 pick are slim to none. So talking about John Wall seems to be a waste of time. If the Pacers do get the top pick, then you already know who they are going to pick, no discussion really needed.

That said, I'm a big fan of Willie Warren. The Pacers need someone that can create their own shot and take some pressure off of Granger. The guy can pass as well. I don't know if he can run the point or his defense, but I wouldn't mind having him.

Other players I like:
    2. Evan Turner
    3. Greg Monroe
    4. Ed Davis.

Granted, I haven't been able to keep up with college hoops this year cause I've been working 60 hours a week, so most of the guys I'm familiar with played last year.

I'd like to read some rundowns on some top favorites by others.

The Pacers really need someone with tons of athleticism and be an impact player to complement Granger. Evan Turner or Willie Warren seem to fit the bill. I heard that Favors is highly regarded, but I haven't heard anything about him, only Wall.

Willie Warren reminds me a lot of Ben Gordon. In other words, he's not a PG.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

I absolutely love Evan Turner, but a broken back scares the crap out of me.

I watched Monroe last night against Butler.

Hard to gauge anything that meaningful as Butler's front court is pretty undersized, but Monroe absolutely dominated them. A nice thing about Monroe is that he can pass the ball pretty well which I believe is a premium for any big coming out of college.

Does anyone have an idea of whether Evan Turner can make a complete recovery? I wonder how much this will affect his draft stock. I wonder if he'll have to play another year in college to prove he's healthy.

He's a gifted player and I hope he does make a complete recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    I watched Monroe last night against Butler.

Hard to gauge anything that meaningful as Butler's front court is pretty undersized, but Monroe absolutely dominated them. A nice thing about Monroe is that he can pass the ball pretty well which I believe is a premium for any big coming out of college.
    I watched the game too. He played well, but like you said, Butler is undersized. I really couldn't gauge his play either. I will say this, he should have dominated that game and he pretty much did that, although he looked a bit sluggish on defense though.

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    Does anyone have an idea of whether Evan Turner can make a complete recovery? I wonder how much this will affect his draft stock. I wonder if he'll have to play another year in college to prove he's healthy.

ESPN Insider (Chad Ford) has an article on NBA Draft stock: Stock Watch: Turner's injury a very bad break

It would be swell if someone could post the entire article here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post

I've talked to Evan twice since the fall. He thinks he's going to be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    It would be swell if someone could post the entire article here.
    Ask and you shall receive:

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog...name=nba_draft

Stock Watch: Turner's injury a very bad break
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 | Print Entry
    Posted by Chad Ford

We're now one month into the college basketball season, the Thanksgiving holiday tournaments are over and every player has roughly seven or eight games under his belt.

NBA GMs and scouts have been out in force over the past couple of weeks checking on the top draft prospects to see what's changed for good or bad since last season.

That means it's time for our first NBA Draft Stock Watch of the year. We covered the great play of John Wall, Derrick Favors and Ed Davis in last week's blog. Insider spoke with a number of NBA sources to find out who else is hot and who isn't among NBA scouts.

Evan Turner, G, Ohio State
    STOCK: DOWN

Turner was the leading candidate for NPOY honors before tragedy struck this weekend. Turner lost his balance on a dunk and crashed to the floor, breaking two vertebrae in his back. He's expected to be out at least two months. Turner's loss is devastating for Ohio State. It also isn't good for his draft stock. We had Turner ranked as the No. 3 prospect on our Big Board going into the weekend. That's now changed. A number of NBA GMs and scouts are worried.

"Knees are always the biggest concerns," one GM told ESPN.com. "But backs are a close second. They're tricky. The game is hard on backs and some guys, no matter how many surgeries they get, just never get totally better. It's a pretty big red flag."

The problem with Turner and the draft goes beyond the immediate injury if he's thinking about declaring this spring. If he sits out the next two months, he won't be back until mid-February. Without Turner for so long, it's very possible that Ohio State won't get a bid to the NCAA Tournament. That means that NBA teams may not get to see him back at full strength this season. While Turner could rehab to the point that he's fine to workout for NBA teams and participate in the draft combine, GMs are going to be extra cautious until he proves that he's 100 percent healthy and that the injury will have no long-term consequences.

We're not ready, by any stretch of the imagination, to write off Turner's NBA potential after this serious setback. He was the most well-rounded player in college basketball before the injury and was oozing NBA potential. However, he wouldn't be a top-three pick at this point, either. We've dropped him to No. 10 on our Big Board and will continue to monitor the situation closely.

Wesley Johnson, F, Syracuse
    STOCK: UP

Scouts are continuing to gush about the stellar play of Johnson. He has every physical attribute scouts look for in a wing and he's playing with amazing confidence. He's shooting 53 percent from deep and averaging 7.3 rpg. But here's the stat that has scouts drooling: Johnson is one of those rare players who is capable of averaging more than two blocks and two steals per game. Other college players can do it (see Duquesne's Damian Saunders in our Midrange Game section below), but few have the potential to do it at the next level as well. The Hawks' Josh Smith is the only player in the league right now that even comes close (2.6 bpg and 1.5 spg). So you can imagine the interest. I predict he's going to rank off the charts on John Hollinger's draft rater.

Xavier Henry, G/F, Kansas

After Wall and Favors, Henry has proven to be the most steady freshman in the country. He's averaging nearly 17 ppg and shooting 53 percent from the field (50 percent beyond the arc). That's a huge feat considering he's playing on a stacked Kansas team that's ranked No. 1 in the country. Henry may be a bit one-dimensional, but he is a terrific scorer and just as important to scouts, he already has an NBA body. Like Tyreke Evans, he's going to be able to come in and contribute immediately to any team in the lottery.

Patrick Patterson, PF, Kentucky

Since his freshman year, Patterson has always been hovering somewhere between 18 and 30 on our Big Board. He's shown the makings of being a solid NBA big man prospect, but never superstar potential. This year, things are beginning to change. Patterson has diversified his game, improved his rebounding, is showing even better range on his jump shot and still is managing to shoot nearly 70 percent from the field. In his big matchup against UNC's vaunted front line of Ed Davis and Deon Thompson Saturday, it was Patterson who looked like the best prospect on the floor. For the first time since Patterson appeared on our Big Board two-and-a-half years ago, he's now cracked the lottery.

Kyle Singler, F, Duke

Just when NBA scouts started to get comfortable with the idea of Singler as a top-20 pick, he's suffering from a terrible shooting slump. He's now shooting a career-low 42 percent from the field. Singler struggled to hit his jumper against Radford, Arizona State, UConn and St. John's. But it was the UConn game that raised eyebrows. Uber-athletic forward Stanley Robinson shut down Singler, raising more questions about Singler's inability to get his offense going against the long-armed, quick-footed, explosive leapers he'll face every night in the NBA.

Malcolm Lee, G, UCLA

Lee has the raw ability of a lottery pick. But he's stuck on a terrible UCLA team and is running an offense not suited to his ability to fly up and down the floor. We've seen this before. Russell Westbrook and Jrue Holiday didn't look terrific in Ben Howland's system either. But Lee has struggled by any measure, shooting just 36 percent from the field and 24 percent from 3-point range.

Tyshawn Taylor, G, Kansas

A number of NBA scouts who watched Taylor play for Team USA this summer came away thinking he might be a first-round pick. Eight games into the season, scouts are jumping off the bandwagon in a big way. Taylor has had major struggles with his offensive game this season. While scouts still acknowledge that he's one of the better defenders in the country and has terrific athleticism, 7.3 ppg on 39 percent shooting just isn't going to cut it.

The Midrange Game

Last week when discussing Wesley Johnson with a number of NBA scouts, they were quick to point out another lanky, athletic forward who is racking up both steals and blocks.
    Duquesne's Damian Saunders is having a stellar junior season. He's averaging a very impressive 15.5 ppg and 13 rpg. But what has scouts drooling is this incredible feat -- he's averaging both 3 blocks per game and 3.4 steals per game.

That feat is a testament to Saunders' terrific athleticism. He possesses both explosive leaping ability and great lateral quickness. However, his skill level on the offensive end is still a work in progress. Saunders is an inconsistent shooter, especially from beyond the 3-point arc. He's much more comfortable putting the ball on the floor and attacking the basket -- where he's proven to be a strong finisher.

We'll be keeping a close watch on Saunders over the next few months. While many scouts have him ranked in the second round, a small handful have him ranked much higher. "He's a Josh Smith or Shawn Marion-type player in our league," said one executive. "He's raw, but he's got a lot of talent. We love him."

We're also keeping a close eye on Tennessee shooting guard Scotty Hopson. Hopson came into the NCAA with a reputation of being a lights-out shooter, but really struggled as a freshman. He's off to a very good start this year (54 percent from 3), but he's doing it against watered-down competition. Against the two quality opponents Tennessee has faced (DePaul and Purdue), Hopson shot a weak 5-for-18 from the field and 0-for-6 from 3.
    While a few scouts have Hopson cracking the first round, most are taking a wait-and-see attitude until conference play.

Finally, it's probably worth noting that we all might want to take this flurry of early impressions from scouts and GMs with a grain of salt. Right now, teams are forming impressions on players. But the real in-depth scouting starts taking place once conference play begins.
    Why? Because NBA teams want to see how players respond when opposing coaches and teams have had a chance to both scout these talented players and prepare defenses to take away what they do best. The prospects that can adjust end up floating to the top. The players that struggle against the increased defensive scrutiny end up slipping.

So while the early-season games are important (I promise you virtually every GM in the league watched UNC-Kentucky last weekend) -- it's how a player handles himself during the long slog of conference play and then performs in the heat of the NCAA Tournament that really settles his draft stock.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Besides what websites say, anyone know anything about Donatas Motiejunas?

Last night was the first time I saw John Wall play.

Wow...very impressive.

The guy is going to be very good even in his rookie year. I still don't know what to think of him off the court but I was blown away by how good he is on it.

If Wall is as good as they say you take a risk on him, period. What's going to happen, we'll lose fans?

MJ, Kobe, and Lebron aren't perfect gentlemen either. A PG like Wall would do absolute wonders for Danny.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    If Wall is as good as they say you take a risk on him, period. What's going to happen, we'll lose fans?

MJ, Kobe, and Lebron aren't perfect gentlemen either. A PG like Wall would do absolute wonders for Danny.
    More like; a SF like Granger would do wonders for Wall. If we did get him, we have a top PG and top SF to build on. But we won't get him. Well have the 13th.
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

Way to go Jim, you may have just put our franchise back another 4+ years.

I like the little PG out of UConn (two years in a row). I also like Maurice Clemens as some 2nd rounders some year or summer league spot. Anything on Devin Ebanks?
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

Quote Originally Posted by Thesterovic View Post
    I like the little PG out of UConn (two years in a row). I also like Maurice Clemens as some 2nd rounders some year or summer league spot. Anything on Devin Ebanks?
    Kemba Walker is a fantastic point guard on a fastbreak team. The second he's got to play a half court game it goes south.

He's improved a lot since last year, he shoots much better and makes his layups now, he's much more undercontrol. Another year at Uconn will do wonders for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    Kemba Walker is a fantastic point guard on a fastbreak team. The second he's got to play a half court game it goes south.

He's improved a lot since last year, he shoots much better and makes his layups now, he's much more undercontrol. Another year at Uconn will do wonders for him.
    What about Stanley Robinson? He has speed and quickness, but thats all I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Thesterovic View Post
    What about Stanley Robinson? He has speed and quickness, but thats all I know.
    Stanley Robinson is an athletic freak..Really, he's ridiculous that way.

He's also the most inconsistent player I've personally ever seen. He's not aggressive, he has actual basketball skills they are just very rough. Some team will take a chance on him though, in the first round. And it wouldn't shock me if he was more suited for the pro game. It also wouldn't shock me if he ends up a bust.

Jerome Dyson is one of the most overrated players that will probably get drafted. He's quite athletic and explosive, but he's a very low IQ basketball player, an overrated defender, and a streaky shooter.

Some are talking about the PG spot being thin in the upcoming draft after Wall, and this may be true, but with a lottery pick, we don't necessarily have to keep the pick if that were to happen.

We could trade the pick for a nice PG, we could pick for someone else and get an additional player or pick.

We'll have some options. Say for example the Nets get the 1st pick and John Wall is no doubt the best player to take. Perhaps they move Devin Harris, and lottery pick could get it done adding another player or so for salary.

Or the 2nd worse team in Minnesota? They already have Flynn and the rights to Rubio, so who knows.

A lottery pick is usually a good thing. I mean the Wizards got Mike Miller and Randy Foye while also getting rid of a bigger contract. Maybe those two haven't panned out, but when you first heard the deal, you thought the Wizards made out well.

Gotta love options

I seen the UK vs Uconn game last night. First time seeing Wall play. Truly gifted on the offensive end. Regardless of his 6 turn overs in the first half. But the kid can't play a lick of man defense from what I saw. Late in the 4th Kembe Walker broke him down multiple times, made him leave his feet, and he got lost on a pick n roll screen. Often took himself out of the equation on defense by just standing there watching.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    Everything that I've heard from Morway (albeit second-hand) is extremely complimentary of McRoberts. He seems to feel he's a kid with immense potential and could be a solid contributor in the present. For whatever reason, JOB seems to think otherwise.
    I'm shocked.

One thing I have to hand Morway, I wanted TWill and his response was "He needs to learn to shoot". While he did seem to fix this at L'ville, his shooting has him hitting the bench now. Of course it's really early and I think he will improve.

Anyway, I was just thinking of staring this thread myself. Typically what I do is put up a TV SCHEDULE of all the top prospects so people that want to discuss them can get a chance to get informed.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Anyway, I was just thinking of staring this thread myself. Typically what I do is put up a TV SCHEDULE of all the top prospects so people that want to discuss them can get a chance to get informed.
    Do it. It seems more organized.

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    Willie Warren is really the only other 1st round PG in my opinion and he's pretty much the exact type of PG you say you don't want.

If we wanted a PG without the first pick in the draft (which is what Wall should be) we should have gotten him last year. And in all honesty, I think A.J. Price is better than any of the PGs in this draft not named Wall or Warren.
    I think Kalin Lucas would have something to say about that. Hes a true leader and has a lot of heart. i would love to have Kalin.

other guys i like are Trevor Booker from Clemson, Dale Davis type of rebounder.

Xavier Henry would be an answer to our athletic problems.

Evan Turner would be a risk, but Danny Granger was an injury prone guy out of new mexico as well.

And Larry Sanders the PF/C out of VCU has very little offensive skill but hes an athletic, shot blocking, and rebounding phenom.
    "To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine