Page 1 of 91 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2010 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Lightbulb Official 2010 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

John Wall's looking better than Derrick Rose did two years ago. He's actually exceeding the hype, which is remarkable.

Banned
    Mood

Default Re: Official 2010 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

There are a couple of really nice looking shooting guards at the top of the mock drafts; Oklahoma's Willie Warren and Ohio State's Evan Turner.

Warren is an athletic, undersized (6'4") SG with a powerful build, in the Dwyane Wade/Tyreke Evans mold. Draft Express has aggressiveness and assertiveness as two of his strengths so Brandon Rush he aint.

Turner is much taller, being listed at 6'7", and has been compared to Penny Hardaway and Grant Hill. He's always been a very versatile player, but this season he's taken it to an absurd level, averaging 19/11/6 with 3 combined steals/blocks a game. In the seven full games he's played in this season, he's recorded a triple-double in two of them. To put that in perspective, fairly historic Ohio State had one triple-double, total, in their entire history prior to this season. Needless to say, Turner's skill-level is off the chart, with the potential for greatness in the NBA. That's the good news. The major (bad) news on Turner is that he's recently suffered a severe spinal injury (fracture) and is out for at least two months. For a team that's had so much bad luck with injuries, that may be too bothersome to overlook, but damn is he talented.

Last edited by Lance George; 12-08-2009 at 12:08 PM.

Cole Aldrich or bust. Just joking, but I really want him. He's tough, he can rebound, and with his size he should eventually be a very good back to basket scorer.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I will join those in fantasizing about high-impact players we will never get before our inevitable win streak in March and April that bumps us down to the 12th pick once again.

Luckily, Evan Turner will likely have some time this college season to show what he can do.

Anyone have a thought on this year's Dirk poser, Donatas Motiejunas? He'll probably be a top 10 pick if the draft were held today. I love Roy, but we're going to need another center to play a large number of backup minutes even if Roy ends up being our starter. I don't see Donatas as that guy though, he's far from an enforcer and probably won't ever be a mean player. We need another mean player in the front court. I appreciate the utility of a guy like Troy, but you need 2 or 3 mean players with him in a big rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I will join those in fantasizing about high-impact players we will never get before our inevitable win streak in March and April that bumps us down to the 12th pick once again.

Luckily, Evan Turner will likely have some time this college season to show what he can do.

Anyone have a thought on this year's Dirk poser, Donatas Motiejunas? He'll probably be a top 10 pick if the draft were held today. I love Roy, but we're going to need another center to play a large number of backup minutes even if Roy ends up being our starter. I don't see Donatas as that guy though, he's far from an enforcer and probably won't ever be a mean player. We need another mean player in the front court. I appreciate the utility of a guy like Troy, but you need 2 or 3 mean players with him in a big rotation.
    I feel bad saying this with the season still being pretty young but hey, let the speculation begin...does anyone else realize that we're currently holding the 6th worst record in the league? Last year's bottom feeders out west are limping along around .500 which puts us lower in the standings than I'd suspected.

Beat me to the punch! It's already time for the '10 draft speculation. I too worry about the irritating finishing kick which knocks us down to the crummy 10-13 pick territory. But the season is roughly a quarter over already and we may be in the running for a top 5 pick. Evan Turner (OSU) is/was very interesting, and Ed Davis (UNC) and Derrick Favors (G Tech) project very well. I personally don't think there will be any NBA greatness in the cards for Willie Warren (OK), Cole Aldrich (KU), or Aminu (WF). But this draft, my friends, is all about JOHN WALL, JOHN WALL, JOHN WALL. Damn, this guy is good! Forget Blake Griffin, if not for the 19 year old rule, Mr. Wall would have been the 1st pick in last years draft! There just aren't that many "can't misses" out there, but in the absence of a major injury, John Wall will be a franchise player, perennial All-Star, and 1st ballot Hall of Famer. He's got the size and speed of a healthy D. Rose, the passing of C. Paul, and the leadership qualities of J. Kidd. I've been following the hype for a year and a half and when I've watched him play over the past year, he thrives against top notch competition. Surprisingly, he actually lives up to the hype. Oh, for the #1 pick this year.

Ezram Lorbek

Is this the guy that lit it up at the Worlds this last fall?

I know he isn't a draft pick for this year, but he played very very well this late summer against NBA caliber players. I'd assume he'll come over next year?
    Last edited by Speed; 12-08-2009 at 03:06 PM.

Yes! I've been waiting for this thread for a while now. I really enjoyed last years.

A couple players I really like so far:

John Wall- obviously
    Ed Davis
    Derrick Favors
    Evan Turner

Hopefully I can catch a couple games for each of these guys and give some thoughts on them. In the meantime, I look forward to reading everyone's analysis.

Someone with some athleticism.
    Last edited by cdash; 12-08-2009 at 06:36 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Watched plenty of his games, not really a Dirk poser, his jumpshot is good for a bigman but he's not lighting it up from perimeter, he really has a very sweet post game actually. Basicly skill wise he's extremely good, defence so-so, athelticism is good, but really needs to be locked up in the weight room because he could rival anthony randolphs thinness, which prevent from finishing some of his good moves. Not sure about about his mental makeup, has shown some signs of not playing well if he gets frustrated and has to carry a team in youth championships. He's really starting to get good minutes in the italian league and playing well lately. Oh and i see no way he becomes a center ever, he's a prototypical pf.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Chewy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Ezram Lorbek

Is this the guy that lit it up at the Worlds this last fall?

I know he isn't a draft pick for this year, but he played very very well this late summer against NBA caliber players. I'd assume he'll come over next year?
    I assume Lorbek will come over next year as well. From what I've read he's really improved his game overseas after a period in which no one ever thought he could make it to the NBA.

He will probably end up taking McRoberts' spot (I can't see a scenario right now where we would resign McBob) and try to work his way into the rotation from there.

I assume Lorbek will come over next year as well. From what I've read he's really improved his game overseas after a period in which no one ever thought he could make it to the NBA.

He will probably end up taking McRoberts' job (I can't see a scenario right now where we would resign McBob) and try to work his way into the rotation from there.
    McBob's already signed for next. Yes, it's partially unguaranteed, but it's cheap, cheap, cheap, and we only have 12 players under contract, so he'd have to start hanging out at Club Rio not to have that picked up.

As to Lorbek, we currently are already almost $5mm over the projected luxury tax threshold for next season with those 12 players. Unless we're able to clear space (a lot of it), or he's willing to play for the league minimum rookie scale (about $500k), I find it extremely unlikely that he's coming over.

(Not that I expect him ever to come over at all.)

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    McBob's already signed for next. Yes, it's partially unguaranteed, but it's cheap, cheap, cheap, and we only have 12 players under contract, so he'd have to start hanging out at Club Rio not to have that picked up.

As to Lorbek, we currently are already almost $5mm over the projected luxury tax threshold for next season with those 12 players. Unless we're able to clear space (a lot of it), or he's willing to play for the league minimum rookie scale (about $500k), I find it extremely unlikely that he's coming over.

I think he was a top 3 player at the Worlds or whatever they were and made huge strides this last year, though you may be right. I'd hate to not see if he can play over hear completely based on money.

So if they are 5 million over next year luxury tax with 12 guys, doesn't this make you think they are going to try like crazy to move at least one of their big contracts, instead of wait until the offseason where it's truely an expiring. I know it's splitting hairs about the timing of it. But it seems there is a huge financial advantage to let go of one of those chips now for basically nothing buy a contract that expires at the end of THIS year.

I was thinking along these lines, to clarify. Murphy makes around 11 million or so. Trade him for 2 guys one making 7 who expires this year and one making 4 million who is maybe longer term.

Not trying to make this a trade checker type thing, it just seems they will really really HAVE to move someone now (before the trade deadline) and I think I lost sight of that, if that is correct?

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    I tend to agree. If he does, I don't think it will be for the Pacers. I could see his rights being traded in the next year or two and maybe coming over then, but not for us.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

He will probably end up taking McRoberts' spot (I can't see a scenario right now where we would resign McBob) and try to work his way into the rotation from there.
    We have a close family friend who is tight with David Morway. From what he's said, management's view on McRoberts is completely different than what JOB seems to think. Of course, whether or not he's telling the truth is far from a given.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

18. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    I think he was a top 3 player at the Worlds or whatever they were and made huge strides this last year, though you may be right. I'd hate to not see if he can play over hear completely based on money.

So if they are 5 million over next year luxury tax with 12 guys, doesn't this make you think they are going to try like crazy to move at least one of their big contracts, instead of wait until the offseason where it's truely an expiring. I know it's splitting hairs about the timing of it. But it seems there is a huge financial advantage to let go of one of those chips now for basically nothing buy a contract that expires at the end of THIS year.

I was thinking along these lines, to clarify. Murphy makes around 11 million or so. Trade him for 2 guys one making 7 who expires this year and one making 4 million who is maybe longer term.

EDIT: But this is a conversation that probably shouldn't be held in the Draft thread.

Not trying to make this a trade checker type thing, it just seems they will really really HAVE to move someone now (before the trade deadline) and I think I lost sight of that, if that is correct?
    Well, Danny's injury may push them towards doing this more urgently. (It's possible that the same thing would have happened if this current swoon were to continue for much longer.) I had suspected they'd try, but not work real hard at it.

As long as they think they have a shot at the playoffs, they will not do any salary dumps. I am sure that they believe that it is crucial to their survival to be competitive now and find a way to get back into the playoffs and get people into Conseco. Many around here may not agree with that, but they aren't hemorrhaging millions of dollars a year.

If things look bleaker come the first of the year (keep in mind, we were 11 games under .500 on 1/1 this year), then you might see a fire sale to avoid the tax next year. My suspicion is that they'd prefer to move TJ before moving either Troy or Jeff, but I can't gauge how desperate they'll be.

More importantly, tons of other teams are going to be either feeling the squeeze themselves or trying to preserve their shrinking 2010 cap space. It will be hard to find a trading partner who will be willing to take on salaries. The only people that think moving one of our big contracts is easy are the people who don't have to make it happen.

EDIT: But this isn't really a conversation that should be held in the Draft thread.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to count55 For This Useful Post:

Prior to Turner's unfortunate injury I'd have said there was a pretty big drop off after the top 3 of John Wall, Derrick Favors, and Evan Turner. Hopefully, he gets back to full health.

-Lance Stephenson

Evan and I grew up playing basketball together. He'll be back earlier than the eight weeks they've predicted. They are being cautious.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    We have a close family friend who is tight with David Morway. From what he's said, management's view on McRoberts is completely different than what JOB seems to think. Of course, whether or not he's telling the truth is far from a given.
    What are the views?
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

this thread got started a little earlier this year...so far favors and wall look like the clear #1 and 2 picks for next year. Kinda like rose and beasley from 2 years ago. I am of the belief that we desperately need a great pick this year in order to bring danny some help. Every good team out there right now has benefited from a high picks (whether it be lebron, wade, melo, paul, duncan, and the list goes on). We haven't had a real high pick in over a decade and its about time. Aldrich reminds me of a bulkier andris beidrins which i wouldn't mind having. Cousins from kentucky is also a hoss, dude must weigh 280. I dunno its a little early but those are the standouts so far

Quote Originally Posted by Chewy View Post

he's a prototypical pf.

If he can't shoot the 3, O'Brien can't use him next year.

Banned
    Mood

If you don't count the draft night trade for Bender in '99, the last time the Pacers drafted in the top-10 was in 1989 when they took George McCloud 7th.

For the record, last year's thread was started November 28th.

If we do pick in the top 10 this year, I don't know that TPTB can continue their "low risk, low reward" picks they have become famous for making. I think we need to swing for a guy with star potential, which is obviously easier to do picking in the top 10. I just know I will be incredibly sick to my stomach when we take Cole Aldrich 6th overall.

Thanks for starting this up, I am pretty clueless when it comes to college kids. Who is the best PG in the draft? Besides Wall of course, and not a ballhog SG in a PG body kind of PG, but a real pass first type floor general.

I was checkin out nbadraft.com yesterday and they had 0 pass first PGs in their whole mock draft, and very few PGs at all (john wall excluded).

From what you guys are saying it seems like the top 3 picks will be great players and after that is pretty meh. Here's to the number 5 pick!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    What are the views?
    Everything that I've heard from Morway (albeit second-hand) is extremely complimentary of McRoberts. He seems to feel he's a kid with immense potential and could be a solid contributor in the present. For whatever reason, JOB seems to think otherwise.

-Lance Stephenson

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post: