Thread: Chris Paul and Bobcat rumors have merit IMO

Default Chris Paul and Bobcat rumors have merit IMO

Real GM is posting two stories one of which probably involves our search for a new PG.

The idea that teh Hornets will consider trades involving Chris Paul probbaly make sense because trading him is the only legit way for them to unload enough salary to get away from paying a steep luxury tax penalty.........linked to LeBron as well.

If I'm Donnie Walsh I think about offering Eddy Curry, Wilson Chandler, Danillo Galinari and a couple of future #1s for Paul and Okafor.

I know it is a big lopsided trade in Ny favor but the Hornets are being sold and they would be getting away from Okafors deal and a big luxury tax hit while picking up a couple of nie pieces and two picks. Ultimately they cant make that trade but I would make the offer.

The Pacer story involves the Bobcats looking to buy their way into a draft pick. A target like Ed Davis or Udoh makes sense for Charlotte looking to get a young big to play defense and rebound.

They have no picks but a deal centered around Raymond Felton and Gerald Henderson could get done IMO. Felton and Henderson for Ford and #10 could make everyone involved happy with Felton getting 3 or 4 years in the 5mm per range.

Felton is actually my favorite PG candidate outside of Darren Collison who we cant get because we wont take back a big contract in the deal.

That also serves the great purpose of getting TJ off our payroll which symbolically makes everyone in Indy feel better.

I'll go ahead and predict that Raymond Felton will be our new starting PG as soon as the deal is allowed to be announced.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Chris Paul and Bobcat rumors have merit IMO

What's worse: Paying the luxury tax or killing professional basketball in New Orleans? Because that's what would happen if you trade Chris Paul.

The Hornets won't trade him.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 06-22-2010 at 01:26 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Twitter @M_Murph11 PacerPride33's Avatar

I'd definetly rather have a younger PG in Lawson, Collison, or Flynn than Felton. But if all else fails, I'd rather have Felton than Augustine
    Murph

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacerPride33 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What's worse: Paying the luxury tax or killing professional basketball in New Orleans? Because that's what would happen if you trade Chris Paul.

The Hornets won't trade him.
    Yeah, I tend to agree. Professional basketball is on life support in NOLA even with CP3. I think this is just wishful thinking.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

New Orleans has the Saints, they could care less right now about the Hornets.

"I'm your huckleberry"

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    Sounds kinda like a city closer to home.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DocHolliday For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

One thing to consider......if the price to get CP3 is Okafor.....although CP3 could be counted as an All-Star caliber Player that a Team acquires......taking on CP3 and Okafor amounts to eating up $27 mil in SalaryCap space. Is there any Team out there that could take on CP3, Okafor AND still have $$$ to sign a Top Tier MAX Contract FA like Lebron?

My guess is not. The closest maybe Miami?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
    Sounds kinda like a city closer to home.
    Beat me to it.

streets ahead

Didn't think this deserved it's own thread so I'm bumping this one...

June 22, 2010

Don't discount a Pacers deal involving Ford

I'm not saying the Charlotte Bobcats and Indiana Pacers will make a deal, but this is interesting...

Larry Bird is intent on finding a point guard, other than T.J. Ford, to be the Pacers' starter next season. Ford and Pacers coach Jim O'Brien don't get along because Ford isn't enough of a pass-first guy and, frankly, they just don't get along because they don't get along.

This was apparent from the discussions the Bobcats had with the Pacers at the trade deadline. Ford was thrilled at the prospect he might be a Bobcat, but nothing was done.

And now we're here, with Bird committed to O'Brien and nothing resolved. I wouldn't get your hopes up about the Bobcats and the tenth pick -- I know Bird doesn't see D.J. Augustin as a starting NBA point guard -- but I wonder if somewhere down the road there could be a sign-and-trade that somehow exchanges Felton for Ford. The effect would be renting Ford in his last season under contract, while avoiding the hard choice of committing to a long-term contract with Felton.

-- Anyone like Toronto Raptor Jarrett Jack? He's available -- very available -- if the Bobcats wanted him.

Rick Bonnell - Charlotte Observer

13. The Following User Says Thank You to avoidingtheclowns For This Useful Post:

Ugh. I hope not. I hope we find a guy that will be a long term top level starter. Wishful thinking, but I'd rather take a chance on a young guy and at least have the hope that he'll turn into a top PG. Felton is what he is at this point.

Mood

I'd rather try to make it a 3-way where Felton goes to Toronto and we get Jack back.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

I think Felton is probably our best remaining option at the point.

And it would be a home run if we got to keep the 10th pick in the process while dumping Ford.

Charlotte probably would want the pick however since there is no reason to pay Ford $8.5mm next season just to say that you got something back for Felton.

If the deal were expanded to include Foster and Diop or Nazr than it would make more sense for Charlotte because they would essentially be getting Ford for about $2mm due to the 11-12 salary we would be taking on.

So which is better:

Ford
    Foster

for

Felton (4 yrs @ 20mm)
    Diop

or Ford and #10

for
    Felton and Henderson

I think Charlotte would do either of these.

I think the Pacers will prefer the second with Henderson viewed as similiar to the player they might choose at 10. Charlotte likely hopes that Davis or Udoh is available at 10.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    As the others said, I agree. hey might make the trade to chase off the few remaining fans in order to move. Is there really enough money in NO to support both teams?

Quote Originally Posted by NappyRootz View Post

And it would be a home run if we got to keep the 10th pick in the process while dumping Ford.

Charlotte probably would want the pick however since there is no reason to pay Ford $8.5mm next season just to say that you got something back for Felton.

If the deal were expanded to include Foster and Diop or Nazr than it would make more sense for Charlotte because they would essentially be getting Ford for about $2mm due to the 11-12 salary we would be taking on.

So which is better:

Ford
    Foster

for

Felton (4 yrs @ 20mm)
    Diop

or Ford and #10

for
    Felton and Henderson

I think the Pacers will prefer the second with Henderson viewed as similiar to the player they might choose at 10. Charlotte likely hopes that Davis or Udoh is available at 10.
    Felton is going to sign someplace for more than that. I'm sure that's his plan at least, and there's a decent chance someone will overpay him. Teams always do.

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    As the others said, I agree. hey might make the trade to chase off the few remaining fans in order to move. Is there really enough money in NO to support both teams?
    They do have a new found oil reserve they can profit of of, if they can only figure out how to drain a pelican.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I'd rather try to make it a 3-way where Felton goes to Toronto and we get Jack back.
    Hell no.....

Sorry but but I had enough of mediocre Jack getting superstar min. and playing both back court spots while he was here.

The guy is just not that good. We NEED a true pure point guard and one who can direct an offense and dribble. Next to Ford, Jack is the worst p.g. I have ever seen in my life about picking up the dribble to early or worse getting caught in the air without knowing where or what he is going to do with the ball.

I know it looks like I am hating on the guy and that really is not the case but at best this guy is a backup and we need & I mean desperatly need a starting caliber p.g.

I would prefer one of the younger guys but to be honest if Felton is the best we can do I would much much much prefer him to Jack.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    That would make my day.
    "Can you take away every single day that we have given to another false prophet" -- Corey Taylor

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Hell no.....

Sorry but but I had enough of mediocre Jack getting superstar min. and playing both back court spots while he was here.

The guy is just not that good. We NEED a true pure point guard and one who can direct an offense and dribble. Next to Ford, Jack is the worst p.g. I have ever seen in my life about picking up the dribble to early or worse getting caught in the air without knowing where or what he is going to do with the ball.

I know it looks like I am hating on the guy and that really is not the case but at best this guy is a backup and we need & I mean desperatly need a starting caliber p.g.

I would prefer one of the younger guys but to be honest if Felton is the best we can do I would much much much prefer him to Jack.
    Despite the similarities in the end result, the Pacers were so much funner to watch when Jarrett Jack was around imo.
    "Can you take away every single day that we have given to another false prophet" -- Corey Taylor

Sports Logo Sports Logo

no thanks. too many pg options out there to settle and in the process just give away our #10 pick. this draft has some solid players at 10. if charlotte is willing to do Felton for Ford in a sign and trade im all for it. but not willing to give up the 10 pick to get felton.

just doesnt make that much sense. i know were desparate for a pg.. but unless yall think were a pg away from going to the finals, we might be better off keeping the 10, then waiting until february to make a deal for a team looking to lose salary. Fosters value could rise by then as well, along with Dunleavys.

i know Bird wants to win now.. all pacer fans do, but this time is very critical, what we do right now will determine our success for the next 5 years. we have the pieces to make moves, lets not be hasty.

Collison, Flynn are the only two i would be okay trading our tenth for. otherwise, take Udoh or George, and lets see what the expirings can net us going forward.

those are two very valuable assets, 10th and ford and all we get is felton?? fords terrible but 8.5 million off the books is valuable to me. sure the big name FA's are not really out there next season, but 8.5 million can get you a solid sg next season or the following.

im okay with keeping the 10th pick, were gonna get a good player that can contribute to this team for the next 5-10 seasons.

patience blue and gold!!

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by NappyRootz View Post

So which is better:

Ford
    Foster

for

Felton (4 yrs @ 20mm)
    Diop

or Ford and #10

for
    Felton and Henderson

Look at Diop's contract before you consider taking him on.

Why not just do a S&T of Felton for Ford straight up?

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by HCPacerIN View Post
    Despite the similarities in the end result, the Pacers were so much funner to watch when Jarrett Jack was around imo.
    Fun is nice for the 3 year plan....but Fun isn't for a long-term Starting PG.

Mood

Jarrett Jack................eeeeeeeh.

I'd personally rather have Earl back than Jack.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Hell no.....

Wait.......even worse than Travis Best? (Although TB's sin was dribbling TOO much)
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Look at Diop's contract before you consider taking him on.

Why not just do a S&T of Felton for Ford straight up?
    Of course we would love that.............but why would Charlotte. You can get a PG of Ford's quality for about $2mm on open market...so why agree to take his $8.5mm salary. No reason to facilitate the sign and trade unless you give them something in return.

That something is either the second year of Diop's contract or the 10th pick with Hnederson coming to us as well. I think both are reasonable options for both teams if Charlotte doesnt want to resign Felton long term.