Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Granger taken off team's charter plane on wheelchair

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Granger taken off team's charter plane on wheelchair

I'm expecting a lot of Brandon back in the rotation backing up Dahntay at SG and Mike taking of Danny's SF role.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One more excuse we will now be fed as to why there will be no changes in the coaching staff or players.

A very legitimate excuse, but still an excuse.
    I get it, but I'm not too concerned about any of this. JOb has signed his last contract. I have no doubt about it. Mark it down. Someone else will soon be the Pacer coach.

As for the players, I don't think anything good will happen this year anyway because certain players with large contracts are still going to be on the court for 30 minutes a game.

Basically, I've waited for years now. I can wait a couple more...and maybe even get a couple top 10 picks for the rebuild. Right now we would pick at #6...and this is before we lose Granger for almost certainly the rest of the calendar year. If Dunleavy reaggravates anything...whew.

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt View Post
    I'd still take his post defense over Troy's.

Second line.
    I'll take Diener's post defense over Troy's
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    We're not getting Wall.

Something will cause us to win enough games to not be in range for a top talent.
    Or someone will freeze an envelope.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Uh... sounding like a stress fracture if an MRI is involved.

A "couple of weeks" could easily be 6-8.

Do you hear Ralph Lawler the other night.

Doing his best Bill Walton deadpan... "The only way a heel is going to heal is if he gets off of it for a while. And the game of basketball isn't very condusive to that."

Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    We're not getting Wall.

Something will cause us to win enough games to not be in range for a top talent.
    We can dream.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I get it, but I'm not too concerned about any of this. JOb has signed his last contract. I have no doubt about it. Mark it down. Someone else will soon be the Pacer coach.
    I'll take this bet. Jim will easily get another head coaching job, and if he does well enough with this group maybe an extension again.

Quote Originally Posted by flox View Post
    I'll take this bet. Jim will easily get another head coaching job, and if he does well enough with this group maybe an extension again.
    Are you saying that Obie will get another NBA head coaching job after he gets axed (whenever that may be) here? Cause I'll take that bet all day. You get three NBA head coaching gigs in the NBA and do a large amount of nothing, and you aren't likely to get a fourth.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Are you saying that Obie will get another NBA head coaching job after he gets axed (whenever that may be) here? Cause I'll take that bet all day. You get three NBA head coaching gigs in the NBA and do a large amount of nothing, and you aren't likely to get a fourth.
    I'll take that bet. The only exception I want to make is if he in some way has some health concerns that show up in the next few years.

So taking the Celtics, that Celtics team to the ECF is nothing - really.

Taking that Sixers team to the playoffs is nothing - really. Look what happened after he left. year before JOB got there, the Sixers won 33 games, under Jim they won 43 games and year after he left 38 games.

Getting the Pacers team to win 36 games the past two season is nothing? really
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 12-08-2009 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I'll take that bet. The only exception I want to make is if he in some way has some health concerns that show up in the next few years.

So taking the Celtics, that Celtics team to the ECF is nothing - really. Look what happened after he left

Taking that Sixers team to the playoffs is nothing - really. Look what happened after he left.

I'd consider it pretty unlikely for Jim to get another job in the NBA. It's not because he will be considered to be a bad coach. In fact, the general opinion throughout the league is that he's a solid, but unspectacular coach, who's done a solid, if unspectacular job in Indy, given the talent and issues that have been here.

However, he will also have established himself as a coach who's not going to be a huge difference maker (one way or the other). He won't be anyone's first choice, because he'll be considered one of many, and people will be more willing to give an assistant his first chance in hopes of finding something special.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to count55 For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Considering we'd pretty much have to lose every game from now on to get into the lottery top 3 (and, all sarcasm aside, that isn't going to happen), and considering the worst team hasn't gotten the #1 pick very often, and considering we're still talking leaving it up to luck when it comes right down to it, forget it.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Banned
    Mood

According to 82games.com, Danny has played over 18 minutes a night at PF. If you're like me and prefer to look on the sunny side of things, Hansbrough may get a sizable bump in minutes in the not-too-distant future.
    Last edited by Lance George; 12-08-2009 at 10:21 AM.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Taking that Sixers team to the playoffs is nothing - really. Look what happened after he left. year before JOB got there, the Sixers won 33 games, under Jim they won 43 games and year after he left 38 games.

I was going to refute your post point for point with support, but that would be extreme over-the-top negativity and not productive.

I just disagree with the overwhelming support you give O'Brien, and feel that he has underperformed with the rosters he has been given with the Pacers in his 2+ years, even considering injuries, and that the Sixers did not waste time getting rid of him despite their success with him as coach, and for whatever reason, he resigned from the C's due to philosophical differences

Boston Globe
    Shira Springer
    January 28, 2004

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketb...igns_as_coach/

Obviously, the C's then declined due to having brought in Ricky Williams and losing Tony Battie, so O'B was likely correct in the short term, but in the long term Ainge has proven to at least be smooth enough to be able to utilize that good old Celtic Pride magic to yield one of the best teams in basketball, with help of the ineptitude / outright manipulation of the league by other GM's that led to the C's superstar roster.

Maybe he will quit here soon, too, due to philosophical differences. His job has to be extremely difficult at best right now, and I am sure that he is feeling as much pressure to perform at this point as he has at any point in his career from players, the front office, and the fanbase (what few of us there are left).

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    I'd consider it pretty unlikely for Jim to get another job in the NBA. It's not because he will be considered to be a bad coach. In fact, the general opinion throughout the league is that he's a solid, but unspectacular coach, who's done a solid, if unspectacular job in Indy, given the talent and issues that have been here.

However, he will also have established himself as a coach who's not going to be a huge difference maker (one way or the other). He won't be anyone's first choice, because he'll be considered one of many, and people will be more willing to give an assistant his first chance in hopes of finding something special.
    Never is a long time though

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

oh no...not again...

Quote Originally Posted by bellisimo View Post
    oh no...not again...
    I'm back baby, I'm back.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Considering we'd pretty much have to lose every game from now on to get into the lottery top 3 (and, all sarcasm aside, that isn't going to happen), and considering the worst team hasn't gotten the #1 pick very often, and considering we're still talking leaving it up to luck when it comes right down to it, forget it.
    At 6-12 we've got the 6th worst record in the league, and are on pace to win 27 games - and now our All-Star forward is out for what could be a lengthy period of time.

We're right in the thick of the John Wall/Derrick Favors sweepstakes.

Not as long as you'd like to think...particularly when you're talking about a profession (head coaching) that only has 30 job openings.

I will, however, backtrack on the "another job in the NBA" statement. I don't think he'll get another head coaching position, but I think he could certainly find other employment in one of the franchise, or in the media surrounding the NBA.
    Last edited by count55; 12-08-2009 at 10:52 AM.

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Tick tock, tick tock...Can you hear the clock ticking?

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    We're right in the thick of the John Wall/Derrick Favors sweepstakes.
    Just keep telling yourself that. I prefer to see it as the "anything higher than a #4 pick is a dream" sweepstakes.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Just keep telling yourself that. I prefer to see it as the "anything higher than a #4 pick is a dream" sweepstakes.
    I would be content with anything in the single-digits. Once you're up there, you just might win the 1st 2nd or 3rd pick, and if not, you're in prime position to snag someone that starts to drop before they fall to someone else in the teens.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

It seems like forever since we've had a pick in the single digits.

No one is really getting excited about any of that stuff. It may not be nothing, but it's certainly not overly impressive either.

Like count said, there are only 30 NBA head coaching gigs. The pool of potential head coaches is substantially higher than that. You have top flight assistants on winning teams, you have former head coaches who have had more success than Obie (Avery Johnson, Jeff Van Gundy, etc), you have the occasional college coach who might intrigue a team, and it's only a matter of time before a top international coach comes over to coach an NBA team. So yeah, I stand by my statement that Obie won't get another head coaching gig in the NBA after this one.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Sure, lets make this bet after my existing bet with Melli wears off?

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

So you expect Bob Hill to be hired as a head coach in the NBA real soon too?

He did go to the playoffs plenty. He took the Spurs to 62 and 59 wins was 15-11 in 2 years of playoffs with those teams. He only seriously lost in Seattle. Right now his resume is dramatically better than JOBs.

When/if Bob Hill is hired again I think ChicagoJ and I will have a hearty laugh at whatever team pulls that trigger.

And on the JOB ECF front with the Celtics, even if you don't believe it there are tons of people who do think the EC was extremely weak that year and when Boston did meet one of the few serious challengers they got run out of town 4-0. When you combine that with his Dalembert feud and the fact that he is known for his high volume 3PA teams that almost seem gimmicky, I think struggling year after year in Indy would seriously hinder his NBA prospects going forward.