View Poll Results: What is the best team of all time?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1995 (52-30) Miller, Smits, Jackson, McKey, D. Davis

1 2.33%
  • 1998 (58-24) Miller, Smits, Jackson, Mullin, D. Davis

18 41.86%
  • 2000 (56-26) Miller, Rose, D. Davis, Jackson, Smits

3 6.98%
  • 2004 (61-21) O'Neal, Artest, Harrington, Miller, Tinsley

6 13.95%
  • 2005 pre brawl (7-2) O'Neal, Artest, Jackson, Miller, Tinsley

11 25.58%
  • Other

4 9.30%

Thread: Best Pacers Team of all time?

Mood

Default Best Pacers Team of all time?

My vote goes to the '98 team. They were the only team over the Bulls 6-peat to really come close to defeating MJ and co. That was such a fun series to watch. A fun season in general. We had the lead going into the 4th quarter in game 7 and only lost by 5 points. That team had an unbelievable basketball IQ: Reggie Miller, Mark Jackson, Chris Mullin...wow. They had a regular season point differential of +8 as well. They were 5th in the league in defense.

Default Re: Best Pacers Team of all time?

While I certainly can appreciate the question and I understand that most likely you were not alive during this time but there is no way that you can ask which is the greatest Pacers team of all time without including the 3 teams that won an ABA title.

Perhaps you should rephrase this to say Best Pacers team during the NBA.

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Indy's #1 Hockey Fan Peter_sixtyftsixin's Avatar

You mean this year's team isn't one of the options?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_sixtyftsixin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dang it!

Custom User Titleist
    Another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_sixtyftsixin View Post
    That would be included under "Other", wouldn't it?.

I really think we need clarification regarding what "Other" actually includes because this year's squad is rather noteworthy in its overall performance level and legendary in its stature within the annals of Pacers lore.

Just change the thread title to "Best Pacers NBA Team of All-Time".

I voted the '98 team. They pushed the Bulls to the absolute brink and really should have won that series. the '98 ECF still pains me to this day. Best playoff series I have ever watched (taking into account that I had a strong rooting interest in the games), and Game 7 was definitely the most painful Pacers loss I can remember. I was crushed.
    Last edited by cdash; 12-07-2009 at 03:20 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I really liked that 03-04 61 win team, everything was in place....They just couldn't take care of home during the ECF against Detroit.
    And the walls came tumbling down.....

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Just change the thread title to "Best Pacers NBA Team of All-Time".

I voted the '98 team. They pushed the Bulls to the absolute brink and really should have won that series. That series still pains me to this day. Best playoff series I have ever watched (taking into account that I had a strong rooting interest in the games), and Game 7 was definitely the most painful Pacers loss I can remember. I was crushed.

Important to note that game 7 was the only elimination game a Jordan lead Bulls team ever faced after they won the first championship.

It shows you how good that Pacers team was, but also how incredible those Bulls team were to never let a team get them to a game 7.

To me that 98 team was the best team in basketball that year and just couldn't get past the best team in basketball that decade.

I think it is between the '98 team and the '00 team. Very similar teams obviously. The '98 team had AD, a better Rik Smits, a better Mckey a better Chris Mullin. The '00 team had a better Jalen Rose, a more experienced team I suppose, Sam Perkins. I would go with the '98 team.

Personally I like the '95 team the best, I just liked the way Larry Brown got the team to play more than I liked how the team played under larry Bird. Just a style of play preference - both teams were coached extremely well

The '04 team, I'm not going there. The '05 team only played 9 games, I don't think they should even be on the list

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Important to note that game 7 was the only elimination game a Jordan lead Bulls team ever faced after they won the first championship.

It shows you how good that Pacers team was, but also how incredible those Bulls team were to never let a team get them to a game 7.

To me that 98 team was the best team in basketball that year and just couldn't get past the best team in basketball that decade.
    We have had bad timing with our best teams. That '98 team ran into the Buls at the end of their dynasty, and the 2000 team ran into the Lakers at the beginning of theirs. Actually the JO, Artest teams had the best shot, but yeah. Go Fish.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I went with the pre-brawl team. Injuries could have derailed that season had the brawl not, but that team was just too talented. Stephen Jackson was going to be the 6th man.

Talent wise, I think they take it. The intangables which win Championships might not have been there though.

I can't choose one, they both represented great Talents in the franchise of different styles and era's...

They Both are Pacer Basketball ( well pre brawl ) Pacer Basketball

Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

What's funny is that (of the NBA era) I think the 99 team was the most balanced between not having used up the veterans and having some newer blood. If they had just decided they had to play basketball instead of being entitled to the championship just because of their play in the shortened season they might have gone home with the ring.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

2005 pre-brawl.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    What's funny is that (of the NBA era) I think the 99 team was the most balanced between not having used up the veterans and having some newer blood. If they had just decided they had to play basketball instead of being entitled to the championship just because of their play in the shortened season they might have gone home with the ring.
    God that was such a letdown. Team of the East, sweep round one, sweep round two, then that.

Great thread idea.

I would probably agree that the 1998 team was the best. The 2004 team was good but Artest was somewhat of a chucker and Harrington of course was a black hole, which I think hurt the team the long run. They just weren't deliberative and patient enough (and lacked an enforcer) to beat Detroit in 2004.

The 2005 pre-brawl team was good, but there you have intangibles problems and the problem that there is only one ball on the basketball court at a time. That team could have been good but I don't think they would have even won it all anyway looking back at it.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    God that was such a letdown. Team of the East, sweep round one, sweep round two, then that.
    oh my gosh that series was awful. lost in 6 games to the #8 New York Knicks. they didn't even show up for that series. although I wasn't surprised. they were a tad disappointing that whole season, despite sweeping the first two rounds. i was all jazzed up for them to pick up right where they left off the year before and dominate the entire season. they came out very underwhelming from the get-go, getting dominated in their second game against the mediocre Detroit Pistons.

they were still pretty good, but just clearly not the championship favorite and definitely a step back from the year before. there was no excuse for it either. they just didn't have the passion of the season before. this has kind of become the lost pacers season to most fans. On paper they should have been better than the previous season, but it just didn't turn out that way.

I'll never forget that ridiculous larry johnson 4-point play in game 5. I was only 11 years old and I remember riding in the car listening to it on the radio. i was so frustrated and heartbroken. when i saw the video it was clear it was not a very good call. despite how bad the pacers played in that series and how underwhelming they played the entire season they were still pretty close to taking the Eastern Conference title...which was still impressive at that time. That series was awful though. Game 6 was the worst. They looked like they didn't even want to win the championship. They couldn't even get it done with Patrick Ewing and Larry Johnson out. Ugh

If someone has the time or inclination, please check out how many close games the 61 win team had that year. I believe Reggie was hitting a ridiculous number of game winners that particular year...and people were raving at how he just keeps doing it.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    If someone has the time or inclination, please check out how many close games the 61 win team had that year. I believe Reggie was hitting a ridiculous number of game winners that particular year...and people were raving at how he just keeps doing it.
    i don't know about that. i don't remember reggie being very impressive that year. the only one that comes to mind is the 3 he hit at the end of game 1 in conf. finals against the pistons to seal the deal for us. i watched that season pretty closely and i honestly don't think he had many, if any at all, game winning shots.

he was more impressive the next season. the year of the brawl. he had to step up with all the players out due to suspension/injuries. i remember people raving about him some that year because he was playing such a major role in his last year. honestly, though, in 2003-04 he was not a major factor on the team and only averaged 10 points a game.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to pacers_heath For This Useful Post:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

My vote for best (NBA) team is the '98 team.

My vote for favorite NBA team is the '91 team.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by pacers_heath View Post
    i don't know about that. i don't remember reggie being very impressive that year. the only one that comes to mind is the 3 he hit at the end of game 1 in conf. finals against the pistons to seal the deal for us. i watched that season pretty closely and i honestly don't think he had many, if any at all, game winning shots.

he was more impressive the next season. the year of the brawl. he had to step up with all the players out due to suspension/injuries. i remember people raving about him some that year because he was playing such a major role in his last year. honestly, though, in 2003-04 he was not a major factor on the team and only averaged 10 points a game.
    Just a couple fun facts. The 1998 team beat their opposition slightly better than the 2004 team notwithstanding the 2004 team's better record. The 1998 team had 499 more points that year than their opposition and the 2004 team had 472 more points.

Personally, I think the 1998 team was built better for the playoffs and more difficult competition...and it showed once they got there. JMHO.

Mood

This is my opinion and it may not be a popular one:

1) 1997-98: Pushed Bulls Dynasty to the limit; looked like maybe the best team in the league that year. They seemed to have an "us against the world" mentality. The fans really loved the team this year. The '98 playoffs featured some great Miller moments. They played with such heart and always out-smarted their opponents. A really likable team.

2) 1999-00: First NBA Finals Appearance: stars from '98 team aging but add in rising stars Jalen Rose and Austin Croshere. Remember how impressive Croshere was in the finals? And we also had Sam Perkins. Crazy to think this year could have been a bust if Travis Best didn't hit that 3 in the first round against the Bucks. Thank God he did.

3) 1993-94: Falls into the "other" category. Don't forget this team had a 3-2 lead in the conference finals against the Knicks. This was the year Reggie scored 25 points in the fourth quarter of game 5. Classic

4) 1994-95: Yeah, sorry they are better than the 61-win team. They played in a much tougher time. Reggie, Rik, and Mark were in their prime. They were a very tough defensive team and the fans were behind them. They took the eventual Eastern Conference champs, the Orlando Magic, to the brink of a tough 7 game series.

5) 1998-99: Another in the "other" selection. This was a VERY disappointing year, but they were still better than the '04 team. They had a good chance to win the Eastern Conference title even with very poor play. Back then the Eastern Conference was still respectable. If Austin Croshere and Jalen Rose had stepped up a year earlier this might have been a championship year. Or if they didn't expect to just be giftwrapped the title.

6) 2004-05 Pre Brawl: Okay, this is where the most recent elite Pacers team fits in. They were pretty solid, but who knows how the season would have turned out. They did manage to still win 44 games and make it to the second round despite all of the turmoil. Even with the missing players and drama this team post brawl is head over heels better than our team now. This was actually one my favorite years to watch. That first round victory over the Celtics was such a crazy series and we even had a 2-1 lead on the Pistons in the second round. Reggie was playing awesome, trying to extend his career a few more games. This was probably the last time I was truly excited about the team.

7) 2003-04: This team was very good, but I'm just not as sold on them as most others. The Eastern Conference was WEAK that year. VERY weak. Yeah, they won 61 games, which is impressive, but there should be an asterisk next to it. For god's sake to get to the conference finals they only had to go through a 36-win Celtics team and a 41-win Heat team (who still gave us trouble), both of which are lucky to even be in the playoffs. They gave the Pistons a run for their money, but I think it was clear the Pistons were the better team. If this team played in the mid-nineties together they would have won a more modest 50-54 games. Talent-wise they are kind of like the Lakers...without Kobe Bryant. Yeah. They were probably still a top 5-7 team in the league, which is very good.

8) 2002-03: By default...can't think of many other decent seasons. This was Isiah's last year. This team actually had more talent than the 61-win team...essentially the same cast, but with a young Brad Miller. I remember they were 37-15 at one point right after the all-star break but quickly hit a wall. This year was almost as disappointing as the '99 season. They lost 19 of 30 from there on and finished 48-34. Still not bad...got the #3 seed somehow and could have still been a good season if they didn't get embarrassed in the first round by the underdog Boston Celtics in 6 games.

Torn between 2000 and Pre Brawl. The 04-05 team really could have won it.

Order more copier toner. Haggard's Avatar

pre brawl team. the seaon before where we lost to the Pistons with 'that block'.. that was a season we should have made the finals.. the pre brwal team I thought was stronger than that team.
    Haggard's Blog: Can't Buy a Basket. Covering the highs and lows of the NBL