Thread: Dumbest thing I've ever seen (Xbox 360) ...

Default Dumbest thing I've ever seen (Xbox 360) ...

Ooookay. I'm playing Halo 3 online the other day. It kicked me out of the game and said "Disc cannot be read". Okay, I take immaculate care of my things so I'm baffled already (just wait for the real confusing part). So, I take the disc out and make sure it's clean, put it back into the Xbox and let it load, except ... it doesn't. It just stays on a black screen the whole time. My first Xbox had a reading lens error, so I know this isn't the same. So I'm a little confused.

I take the disc out and pop in Assassins Creed 2. Works fine. I play it for a while. Okay, it's 2 days later now. I put Halo 3 back into the Xbox. Same black screen. WTF right? Well it's about to get more strange.

I decide since I'm playing on the Halo:ODST multiplayer disc, I'll just pop in the Halo 3 disc I have had since Halo 3 itself came out. Old faithful. Thought it would be a sweet deal. Except .... it goes to black screen as well. WTF?! I now out of curiosity put in the Halo 3 ODST game disc (different than the multiplayer disc) and it doesn't load either! WTF X 10?

Soooo my brain goes to the idea of corrupted data, right? RIGHT! So I take the hard drive off, and bam, it loads! Yet it wants me to do a dashboard update, but with only a memory card, I don't have enough memory. So I still can't play it. So I decide to empty the cashe on the hard drive. Halo still doesn't work. I load the game to the hard drive itself. Still doesn't work.

FINALLY ... I take all my important game saves and such, and move them to the memory card. I just reformat the hard drive. Wipe it completely.

****ING THING STILL WON'T LOAD HALO. What ..... the ..... ****!

I give up on this thing for the night, my head is going to explode.

-- Steve --

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Dumbest thing I've ever seen (Xbox 360) ...

That does suck. Bet duke defends Microsoft to the end on this one though

Ouch, I can't help much but feel your pain.. my box has been good to me so far, that sure sounds like some major corruption error somewhere, but where.. my first thought was someone cheating online again but this sucks so much more..

Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Meh, I find myself defending Microsoft more often than not myself. I don't really blame them for this, this is .... just weird.

Quote Originally Posted by GO!!!!! View Post
    Ouch, I can't help much but feel your pain.. my box has been good to me so far, that sure sounds like some major corruption error somewhere, but where.. my first thought was someone cheating online again but this sucks so much more..
    You know, I assumed the cheating online as well at first. The game I got booted from hadn't even started up yet. We were still in the lobby. I was playing team doubles at level 50, which is the highest level in Halo's ranked system. The other guys were 50's as well, so I did assume they possibly cheated and did something.

So I checked their profiles on bungie.net and all of their other games were completely legit from that day. So I kind of ruled that out.

Anyway, you would think if there was a corruption of something in the hard drive, that I would have eliminated that problem by clearing the whole thing off. Apparently not .... I have no idea.

-- Steve --

Dumbest thing I've ever seen:

Just kidding now folks.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LoneGranger33 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    I'm not sure I could blame MS for this one. But then again it does seem like an issue with your console. For the most part I hate dealing with Microsoft Xbox support representatives, because they make me feel like I don't know anything about technology.

Sadly, you will have to talk to them about this.

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    I'm not sure I could blame MS for this one. But then again it does seem like an issue with your console. For the most part I hate dealing with Microsoft Xbox support representatives, because they make me feel like I don't know anything about technology.

Sadly, you will have to talk to them about this.
    I already did. I just didn't put that in there. Here's the problem ... they want me to send it to them for repairs. The part that just doesn't make sense, is that if I remove the hard drive, the game loads fine, as I said. Combine that with the fact that when you send your console for repairs they tell you to NOT send your hard drive in. So how exactly are they going to find the problem, when if I do send it in .... there won't be any problem?

I just hung up on the guy when he said that. Sending it in would do no good.

-- Steve --

Mood

Here's the dumbest thing I've ever seen...not really but it is dumb...

Do you have a friend that could bring his 360 hard drive to test out? If you can get it to load properly with someone else's HD then it's definitely your HD.
    Last edited by travmil; 12-07-2009 at 12:39 PM.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersfan46 View Post
    I already did. I just didn't put that in there. Here's the problem ... they want me to send it to them for repairs. The part that just doesn't make sense, is that if I remove the hard drive, the game loads fine, as I said. Combine that with the fact that when you send your console for repairs they tell you to NOT send your hard drive in. So how exactly are they going to find the problem, when if I do send it in .... there won't be any problem?

I just hung up on the guy when he said that. Sending it in would do no good.

-- Steve --
    Believe it or not, it does sound like it isn't the hard drive. The way the console communicates with the hard drive seems to be out of whack.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    Believe it or not, it does sound like it isn't the hard drive. The way the console communicates with the hard drive seems to be out of whack.
    Hard to believe since it's only happening to one game out of many. I would still try getting a buddy's HD in there and see what happens before sending anything anywhere.

Just did that. Buddy got off work and put another hard drive on the console. Halo played just fine. Ugh.

Steve
    Last edited by Pacersfan46; 12-07-2009 at 05:28 PM.

Mood

Just did that. Buddy got off work and put another hard drive on the console. Halo played just fine. Ugh.

Steve
    I was wrong. My apologies.

The Xbox 360 does partition some space aside for the system to use, i.e. the dashboard and such. When you "format" your 360 drive all you are doing is getting rid of all the user data and content. More or less on a 360 formatting is an ambiguation. That small chunk of data, assuming my research is true is only 8MB in size.

I would be calling MSFT then and getting some support. Tell them directly that you troubleshot the issue and used another hard drive in place of yours and the games started just fine. Don't let them try going into the "restart your system" mumbo jumbo and things like that. Be firm with them, but not insulting. That is the worst thing anyone can do to tech support.
    Last edited by duke dynamite; 12-07-2009 at 05:58 PM.

Sports Logo

I see what your problem is....it all originated from your decision to buy a XBox 360 instead of a PS3.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I see what your problem is....it all originated from your decision to buy a XBox 360 instead of a PS3.
    Ha! I owned one, and sold it. From having to "load games to the hard drive" like MGS4 every time I went to a new "act", to the lack of games I wasn't really into it. It was a glorified Blu Ray player for me.

This is a major role reversal from last generation. The original Xbox was solid, and the PS2's broke on an insane level. Kind of amusing.

-- Steve --

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacersfan46 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Ha! I owned one, and sold it. From having to "load games to the hard drive" like MGS4 every time I went to a new "act", to the lack of games I wasn't really into it. It was a glorified Blu Ray player for me.

This is a major role reversal from last generation. The original Xbox was solid, and the PS2's broke on an insane level. Kind of amusing.

-- Steve --
    I made tons of money in high school fixing my classmate's PS2s from the disc read error.