Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cavs after someone like Murphy?

Banned

Default Re: Cavs after someone like Murphy?

Banned

If the Cavs are after someone like Murphy, doesn't that contradict what all of you haters are saying about Murphy?

As I said you all are letting your hate affect your judgement.

Sports Logo

A Half-court defense that has multiple Frontcourt Players that can make up for the deficiency of Murphy's defense that has a slow-down Offense that runs at a pace that would not wear out a Player that heavily relies on his legs not to be tired?

On top of that....the Team currently has one of the best Passing Big Men in the League. I couldn't think of another Team that Murphy would better fit on then the Cavs.

Unfortunately, back in reality land...I doubt that something like this happens. Why? cuz the universe hates Pacer fans.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm saying why settle on someone who sucks when Troy does have a lot of value in him and I'm sure we can get someone or players that are valuable.
    He doesn't have the same value he did a season ago. That or the offseason would have been the right time to get something like an expiring contract for him. We're now better off holding onto him until next year and pursuing a trade then, when his contract will be due to expire.

Quote Originally Posted by Thesterovic View Post
    Is this just speculation, or is there any chance this could fall through at the break? If this happens, we might win more than 20 games this year.
    Anyone?
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

Way to go Jim, you may have just put our franchise back another 4+ years.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by GuffeyRay View Post
    If the Cavs are after someone like Murphy, doesn't that contradict what all of you haters are saying about Murphy?

Can you clarify what you're saying here?

I don't dislike Murphy's game....I dislike how JO'B uses him and how he is heavily relied upon in our Frontcourt.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There's no hate. I don't hate Troy Murphy at all. I truly like him. Except when he's on the basketball court. I hate him then.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    You're right.

It's been proven. Our team is much more likely to win with Murphy. We've all lost it.
    In case anyone did not pick up on it this post has heavy sarcasm attached to it.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

IF, IF the Cavs indeed are interested in Murphy, it's not for a starting PF spot. He'll be a 6th or 7th guy, expected to hit some 3s, grab a few boards and stay out of LeBrons way the rest of the time.

That just might be a pretty good role for him. Depending on him as a starter is a bad sign for a team. Oh, wait a minute .....................

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

You're a weird dude, CB.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

A 3 way deal with Houston and Cleveland would work:

Houston sends: McGrady

Houston receives: Z (Bought out), TJ Ford and Diener

Cleveland send: Z, Daniel Green

Cleveland receives: Murphy

Pacers send: Ford, Diener, Murphy

Pacers receive: McGrady, Daniel Green

Houston is able to get something for McGrady and they buy out/waive Z. Ford gets to come home to Houston. Cleveland gets their stretch 4, Z gets a month off and gets to return to Cleveland and Pacers clear some contracts a year early and go into next season with about 45 million in salary on the books not counting us drafting John Wall and allowing us to sign a MLE player and then shedding another 24 million the following summer.

Couldn't we potentially get more value for Troy in the off-season/next trading deadline? Not only will he be an expiring but the 2010 sweepstakes will have passed and teams will be less hesitant to take themselves out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Couldn't we potentially get more value for Troy in the off-season/next trading deadline? Not only will he be an expiring but the 2010 sweepstakes will have passed and teams will be less hesitant to take themselves out of it.
    Probably.

But will we have any fans left if we wait?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    IF, IF the Cavs indeed are interested in Murphy, it's not for a starting PF spot. He'll be a 6th or 7th guy, expected to hit some 3s, grab a few boards and stay out of LeBrons way the rest of the time.

That just might be a pretty good role for him. Depending on him as a starter is a bad sign for a team. Oh, wait a minute .....................
    And if the Pacers had better players this would be true.

please god someone take murphy away

Cavs Troy Murphy > Pacers Troy Murphy

I mean in Cleveland he can be what he is and that's enough.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

I would do cartwheels if this happened.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    I would do cartwheels if this happened.
    So would Troy.

All the way to Cleveland.

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Chat.asp?CHAT_TOPICS_ID=640

Alex Kennedy:
    I think Indiana would do this trade but Cleveland would not. The Cavaliers do not want to trade Big Z. There was talk of a Big Z for Stephen Jackson trade earlier in the year but Cleveland backed out. They understand that Shaq is going to need rest and he's not going to be able to play every night. They also understand that he can't play a ton of minutes on the nights when he does play. This makes their backup center one of the most important players on their roster. Big Z is still a huge part of that team and the Cavaliers won't trade him unless an amazing deal comes around and they receive a center back in return.
    Sittin on top of the world!

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Default Re: Cavs after Murphy?

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    Mathematically, maybe.

More likely, they'll be keeping the cash for themselves, and trying to survive as a franchise.
    I agree, but like Peck I just think it makes sense for the rotation to clear Troy out of the way. He is clearly not keeping them afloat since they are losing anyway (or because of), so you lose zip to move him.

What we want is to let Roy, Solo, (alright I guess) Tyler, and (don't I wish) McRoberts to get some regular, healthy time on the frontline. Either these kids are going to get better or they aren't, but it's time to find out. It's also time to see what the roster can do when they go with a somewhat more traditional mix of players.

My wish list deep down is move Troy for very little and let Solo/McBob play, plus you can throw a few minutes more at Troy, and to move Ford and give Price 20 a night and Head some of his PT back.

I would like these things to happen, they make sense as well, therefore they 100% will not.

Too bad I don't own a big name sponsor so I could pull the Jackson threat and get a trade done too.

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    But if we agreed to buy him out..
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

Way to go Jim, you may have just put our franchise back another 4+ years.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Thesterovic For This Useful Post:

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Yes. Essentially the trade would be:

Cleveland gets Murphy without giving up anybody.

Indiana gets rid of the last year of Murphy's contract, thus avoiding the luxury Tax. Not to mention the potential improvement to our defense. Make the call Larry.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Infinite MAN_force For This Useful Post:

streets ahead

Basically what IMF was saying. The Pacers would have little use for Big Z and the Cavs would likely want him back. So the Cavs would have to throw in a piece originally the Cleveland beat writers (or columnists) had suggested Big Z / Hickson for Murphy. But Hickson has probably played his way out of that. My best guess is if a Murphy to the Cavs deal would go down:

PACERS GET: ILGAUSKAS, POWE, GREEN, $3 MIL
    CAVS GET: MURPHY, DIENER

Essentially the Cavs send a young enough PF in Powe, a young defensive wing in Green, and $3mil to help with the Big Z buyout. With the buyout, we'd likely cut a bit off our financial commitment this year and by getting out from Troy's additional year, save about $10mil. which would help with the lowering cap and LT.

Banned

Default Re: Cavs after Murphy?

Quote Originally Posted by kellogg View Post
    Exactly...for one thing it would give Tyler a chance to develop.

What baffles me about O'Brien giving heavy minutes to the formerly injured players (Murphy, Dunleavy and Foster) is that he's essentially reincorporating into the rotation (at the expense of developing the young guys) the same guys who failed to carry you (and previously the GSW) into the playoffs. This move makes absolutely no sense to me...it's not like Murphleavy and Foster have 'upside', either...what you see now and in the last 3+ years is as good as it ever has and will be.
    That's what I don't get. You KNOW what you have in Foster and Murphy. And while they are both good citizens and hard workers they just aren't going to get you a winning team without Lebron James added.
    The kids may (will) make more mistakes and cost the Pacers some games. But they also might have more potential. Which would develop sooner if they played more.
    PLAY THE KIDS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Cavs Troy Murphy > Pacers Troy Murphy

I mean in Cleveland he can be what he is and that's enough.
    Well, with Varejao I suppose he could come off the bench. Actually, we could use that from him in small doses.