Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Post Gams vs Clips: Roy is awesome! This team is disgusting...

Default Re: Post Gams vs Clips: Roy is awesome! This team is disgusting...

I am thrilled if we lose every game the rest of this season. We need a solid draft pick, this team is going nowhere. Granger can sit the rest of the season as far as I'm concerned.
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Theodore For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The saddest thing: we're a game out of the playoffs. No joke.
    Yeah, the East is really bad this year. I wouldn't be surprised if this mirrors the 2003-2004 season where a 36 win team can make the playoffs. Not that the Pacers are a 36 win team, but still.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyProdigy View Post
    hes too inconsistent. even when healthy. and his game is one dimensional. plays no defense. he may attempt defense but certainly cant play it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wage View Post
    Sadly, at least as far as this season is concerned, I have no idea if you mean Granger or Dunleavy with this quote.

For that matter, its not like the quote doesnt apply to Hibbert, I'm sorry to say

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Wu-Gambino View Post
    Yeah, the East is really bad this year. I wouldn't be surprised if this mirrors the 2003-2004 season where a 36 win team can make the playoffs. Not that the Pacers are a 36 win team, but still.
    The bar keeps lowering, and we keep falling to the challenge.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    I think the league outlawed player-coaches a number of years ago.
    Which is a shame.

However, I read Bill Simmon's way of getting around this: You hire a token head coach with the full understanding that he's going to serve as an assistant coach to one of the players. On the books and to the media he's the head coach who simply "listens to the players" more than most. Unofficially, the player is the HC.

Quote Originally Posted by flox View Post
    I agreed with you everything except until the bolded. I'd reject Hibbert for Jackson, and Scola,and accept for Bogut, Harris and Love, and be very tempted by Gallinari.
    oh sorry i meant it from the other perspective.... i meant if i were the other (nonpacers) team i would reject hibbert for yadda yadda

and youre right i would be very tempted by galinari also

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    I think the league outlawed player-coaches a number of years ago.
    Then let's make Murph our non-player coach.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    ChicagoJ and UncleBuck point out rightly that the team is in freefall. Under those conditions, further analysis is pointless. Nothing works right now.

O'Brien might call one play rather than another, or he might send in one player rather than another. But right now, nothing is working -- even the things that worked last year.

If you want a silver lining, it is this: The loss of Granger doesn't hurt the team much, because Even Granger hasn't been playing well enough to matter.
    I disagree.

We went on a five game win streak where some things were working. Then we changed personnel. The failure for JOB and some on this board to see it is maddening.

And I think that going back to that line up, even without Granger, would do better than our current "strategy."

Watson
    Rush/Head
    DJones/Dunleavey
    Hansbrough/Solo
    Hibbert

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    I disagree.

We went on a five game win streak where some things were working. Then we changed personnel. The failure for JOB and some on this board to see it is maddening.

And I think that going back to that line up, even without Granger, would do better than our current "strategy."

Watson
    Rush/Head
    DJones/Dunleavey
    Hansbrough/Solo
    Hibbert
    TJ Ford started for four of those five wins. Watson started for one of them. Ford also scored 57 points in the five games, versus 53 for Watson. So leaving Ford out of the line-up above is changing that winning formula, no?

I can see preferring Watson to TJ, and I wouldn't mind the line-up you're suggesting, but that line-up is not 'going back' to the 5-win line-up. It's just an anti-Murphy / anti-TJ line-up, seems like.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kester99 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by kester99 View Post
    TJ Ford started for four of those five wins. Watson started for one of them. Ford also scored 57 points in the five games, versus 53 for Watson. So leaving Ford out of the line-up above is changing that winning formula, no?

I can see preferring Watson to TJ, and I wouldn't mind the line-up you're suggesting, but that line-up is not 'going back' to the 5-win line-up. It's just an anti-Murphy / anti-TJ line-up, seems like.
    Fine.

Make it Watson/Ford.

Or even Ford/Watson.

That's not my main point.

Mood

When Granger comes back, it would be interesting to not play Murphy and see if something wonderful happened.

Without Granger, what are the odds of a coach doing that? Even with Granger, what are the odds, or the effects on the bench when Troy justs sits there, or doesn't dress.

"There's this theory going around, Troy...that you're poison. Just going to check it out for a few games. I expect it's just silly...can't prove it by the stats...you'll be back in a few games...but we need to prove it or put it to rest."

Should we just sit Murphy first, and let Foster dress? So we can be sure which is to blame? If we still lose with Murph on the bench, we can start dressing him, and put Foster in civvies. More scientific that way. If we still lose then, we can try it with both of them sitting. I don't know...what do you think?

If that were to happen, we'd be in some sort of alternate NBA coach reality. But, really, I'd go for it. To think it's strange that JOB doesn't go for it, though...well, that's a bit strange itself.

But really, none of it is as strange as the thought that we might try to install some sort of organized half-court offensive scheme, and practice it regularly.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to kester99 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman View Post
    Just think, job fired, who steps in? none other than LB!!!! (In my dreams!)
    Well....isn't that the trend now?

I wouldn't mind.....from the Owners POV....I can see it as a "You built this team and wanted it run a certain way....now, go out there and run it the way you want" approach to Bird.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Watson
    Rush/Head
    DJones/Dunleavey
    Hansbrough/Solo
    Hibbert
    LOL....you'd think that without Granger that JO'B would go without Murphy in the lineup?

I wouldn't be surprised if Dunleavy, Murphy and Foster played 34 to 38 minutes a game while Hansbrough and Hibbert gets the same amount of minutes.

When left with little to no choice......JO'B will always default to what he always does...playing Players that he's most comfortable with. What's worse that I wouldn't be surprised if we decided to keep the same pace that we normally run despite having a rather unathletic lineup with Dunleavy, Murphy and Foster playing ( what will more then likely be ) a majority of the minutes in the lineup.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I hope they got an earfull after this loss, and I hope their next couple practices are hell.

what are the odds, or the effects on the bench when Troy justs sits there, or doesn't dress.
    I think the effects on the bench would be fantastic. The effect on the bench of Troy playing is killing us.

"There's this theory going around, Troy...that you're poison. Just going to check it out for a few games. I expect it's just silly...can't prove it by the stats...
    Well, there's that 5-1 win/loss stat without Troy and that 1-11 win/loss stat with Troy playing.

But really, none of it is as strange as the thought that we might try to install some sort of organized half-court offensive scheme, and practice it regularly.
    [/sarcasm] On that we can agree.

Mood

Don't forget Foster. He didn't play in any of those 5 games. He may be the problem.

Sports Logo

Well, there's that 5-1 win/loss stat without Troy and that 1-11 win/loss stat with Troy playing.
    A legit question to ask is why JO'B ( who has referenced the use of the +/- stat when it comes to playing time ) continues to extensively use Murphy when he has the worst +/- score on an individual basis.

http://www.nba.com/statistics/plusmi...=9&team=Pacers

However, you can also twist the use of the +/- stats when it comes to 5-man combinations. Of course, the most extensively used 5-man combination ( which happens to be the highest +/- stat ) has BRush/Inferno/Granger/Hibbert in that lineup....with Watson and TJ subbing in.....and you can guess which is the next best lineups used....those that involved Murphy, Foster and Dunleavy.

The only justification that I can see JO'B using when it comes to the use of Hibbert is that he's in foul trouble far more often and gets into those situations on a far quicker pace then Murphy. Murphy may provide SOME offense ( which unfortunately sucks this season compared to last ) and rebounding.....but he doesn't get into foul trouble as much or as quickly as Hibbert. Murphy may heavily rely on his jumpshot and therefore may not be as effective as years before....but he can do something way better then Hibbert....he can stay on the floor without getting into Foul trouble.

Don't forget Foster. He didn't play in any of those 5 games. He may be the problem.
    I am open to that.

Really, I think the win streak showed us the need to use players who can play both ways. Murphy's no D and Foster's no O both cause problems. As does TJ's weak D.

Watson, DJones, Solo, Granger at 4, and especially Hibbert, provide at least the potential of providing some ammunition on both ends. Gotta give them the chance, though, and be patient thru a few ups and downs.

Sure beats being patient thru all downs, however.

Pacers are 1-11 when Murphy plays.

Then let's make Murph our non-player coach.
    Well, he'd have as much chance of getting benched as a PC as he would with O'brien coaching, so you don't lose anything there.

Banned

Watching the game last night I came to the conclusion that noone on the Pacers knows how to use a screen. Instead of doing a quick curl around to get an open look they run straight for the 3pt line allowing their man to catch up again.

Tyler probably tried to setup 20 screens or so but they were either not used or used poorly.. When the Pacers cant get that quick shot off they look lost and they just hang around the 3pt line. The only people who were consistently trying to get into position or trying to create something were Hibbert and Hansbough. Hibbert kept fighting to get post position and Tyler tried to set screens to open up a shot or a screen and go to try and catch his defender napping.

Some structure would go a long way AND some set plays for the PG to use whenever he wants without the coach having to calll them out.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Roy is the future! Let it be known!

He's the only one out there other than Danny and Mike who are playing with passion.

We're losing the passion, the pride.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    For now you are only going to get either a re-tread who hasn't coach in awhile or an asistant coach who maybe has never been an NBA head coach
    And O'Brien came from what category?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    Roy is the future! Let it be known!

He's the only one out there other than Danny and Mike who are playing with passion.

We're losing the passion, the pride.
    Dahntays got the passion, he's just in a slump.
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

Way to go Jim, you may have just put our franchise back another 4+ years.