Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Post Gams vs Clips: Roy is awesome! This team is disgusting...

Mood

Default Re: Post Gams vs Clips: Roy is awesome! This team is disgusting...

Until proven otherwise, Jeff is a better rebounder, a better defender, and has a much higher bball IQ.

If I were coaching Josh, I'd be doing everything I can to work on the Bball IQ. If that picks up, the other two will partially take care of themselves combined with his athleticism.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Until proven otherwise, Jeff is a better rebounder, a better defender, and has a much higher bball IQ.

If I were coaching Josh, I'd be doing everything I can to work on the Bball IQ. If that picks up, the other two will partially take care of themselves combined with his athleticism.
    ...and Jeff has been the most effective passer (among the big men) from the high post, reversing the ball quickly, as well.

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Mcbob desperatly needs to improve his court awareness. I'm not sure exactly how you do that, but he is pretty much a carbon copy of Denver's "Birdman" if he just didn't get lost on the court so often. A real nice sparkplug off the bench player who will come out and make some big plays with his athleticism. He can be an impact defensive player in short spurts.

I don't really hold out much hope for him developing an offensive game at this point, however.

I think he still has a shot to make it in the league, but he hasn't really shown anything in limited minutes to warrant playing time this year.
    Last edited by Infinite MAN_force; 12-08-2009 at 12:08 AM.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    ...and Jeff has been the most effective passer (among the big men) from the high post, reversing the ball quickly, as well.
    Actually the one thing that Josh has done fairly well over his time here is pass the ball from the high post.

Not spectacular by any means but solid. At least it is not something I would consider a weakness.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

I'd say that's a possibility, but more often than not I think rebounding is an instinct. The ability to know where the ball will come off of the rim, and to know early enough in the air to be able to beat everyone else to that area of the court. I'm not sure that comes with BBall IQ, but it certainly can't hurt.

I generally think rebounding is instinct, and timing. A lot of that I believe is either something you have .... or you don't.

-- Steve --

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    I actually wish he would turn into the player some people think he is. It would be better for the Pacers.

I'm not holding my breath on either.
    I'm not either. He'll never reach his potential under O'Brien. That was made pretty clear in the preseason.

I wish Josh got the same free pass that Solomon gets. The only thing he cannot do well is shoot. Everything else is above average: defense, passing, rebounding, ball-handling, IQ, etc. I almost have to question the motive of anyone who sees no basketball skills.

His weaknesses aren't that glaring, imo. He gets too far out of position (and I understand why that comes across as low IQ, but I find it ironic that Murphy is considered high IQ and gets in worse position, amongst other things at a lower level than Josh), is undersized, and isn't strong enough to consistently play against Centers. Even then, good things happen when he's on the court.

It's too bad he was asked to play differently this preseason; he looked terrible. Then again, several of our players look considerably worse this season so I'm going to assume something else is at play.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersfan46 View Post
    I'd say that's a possibility, but more often than not I think rebounding is an instinct. The ability to know where the ball will come off of the rim, and to know early enough in the air to be able to beat everyone else to that area of the court. I'm not sure that comes with BBall IQ, but it certainly can't hurt.

I generally think rebounding is instinct, and timing. A lot of that I believe is either something you have .... or you don't.

-- Steve --
    I agree; I think that instinct can and often is a large part of it. Timing definitely often is a big part.

If a player has the time and desire, they could look up the information on where the ball most often goes after a miss from a shot at any given area on the floor. That would help. Another would be to scout upcoming opponents and their specific rebounding info.

Depending on the situation, boxing out still matters, too.

Banned

I agree; I think that instinct can and often is a large part of it. Timing definitely often is a big part.

If a player has the time and desire, they could look up the information on where the ball most often goes after a miss from a shot at any given area on the floor. That would help. Another would be to scout upcoming opponents and their specific rebounding info.

Depending on the situation, boxing out still matters, too.
    Murphy has never blocked out once in his life.

Quote Originally Posted by WetBob View Post
    Murphy has never blocked out once in his life.
    That's not quite true. I've seen him block out Jarret Jack last season to make sure he got a rebound.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post: