Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Post Gams vs Clips: Roy is awesome! This team is disgusting...

Hybrid View

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Thumbs up Post Gams vs Clips: Roy is awesome! This team is disgusting...

They play with no passion, and I do believe Obie has lost the team. I can't find to words right now to explain my displeasure with this underachieving team..
    Passion, Pride, Playoffs, Pacers

Mood

Default Re: Post Gams vs Clips: Roy is awesome! This team is disgusting...

I love this team. We are going to the Finals! You hear that, FINALS!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I looked at the schedule. I think we will be about 10-22 by the end of the year.

This team needs an offensive plan. JOB's free wheeling thing is not working.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

On the bright side, our new coach next year will have a high draft pick coming onto the team.

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I looked at the schedule. I think we will be about 10-22 by the end of the year.

Agreed. This team desperately needs a new coach and an actual PG!
    Turn out the lights, this party's over!

Sports Logo

10?! Honestly, I love your optimism.

I can't say we're better than any team right now, especially with Danny out.

I fully expect to lose to the Nets, and who ever else is on our schedule.

I know I predicted 40 wins and the playoffs in the prediction thread, but I'm struggling to see us win 20. Which means 14 wins the entire rest of the season... it's gonna get ugly.

I apologize for my pessimism to anyone who feels excited or inspired when watching this team.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kuq_e_Zi91 View Post
    10?! Honestly, I love your optimism.

I can't say we're better than any team right now, especially with Danny out.

I fully expect to lose to the Nets, and who ever else is on our schedule.

I know I predicted 40 wins and the playoffs in the prediction thread, but I'm struggling to see us win 20. Which means 14 wins the entire rest of the season... it's gonna get ugly.

I apologize for my pessimism to anyone who feels excited or inspired when watching this team.
    I feel the exact same way.. and it's a shame because they have so much POTENTIAL

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman View Post
    I feel the exact same way.. and it's a shame because they have so much POTENTIAL
    im not trying to sound pessimistic but... i dont understand where you (and half of this board) sees "so much potential"

dont get me wrong I thought this team would win around 36-40 games, but not because I thought they were talented... they just overachieved so much last year that I thought they could do it again with their style of play

On paper, this is at best a 30 win team. it is without a doubt one of the last 5 talented teams in the league. (maaaaybe NY, NJ, Minnesota, and Charlotte...?) I mean I'd throw Milwaukee Sacramento and Houston in there if they werent playing so well. You could make a case that Indiana is less talented than every one of those teams. (yes including NJ) Granger himself is the only thing keeping this team above these teams IMO.

I just dont see where this potential is. Dunleavy, Hibbert or Dahntay is our 2nd best player... Think about that objectively. How many teams in the league, not taking contract into account, would trade their 2nd best player for any of those 3. (I would reject Hibbert for Kevin Love, Devin Harris, Andrew Bogut, Luis Scola... Id probably take Hibbert for Stephen Jackson or Danilo Galinari though) We start some combination of TJ, Rush/Dahntay, Murphy, and Roy/Foster to go along with Danny. objectively look at those guys and compare them to other teams in the league.

This team is sorely lacking in talent and instead of these stop gap, nitpicky little mini fixes we waste money on like Dahntay (4 years?!), or draft picks on like Brandon Rush (say what you want about Bayless or Anthony Randolph, but either one is vastly more talented than Brandon Rush) we need a real infusion of talent. Hopefully it happens in the draft or when Murphy's contract becomes an expiring.

I know talent isnt everything, but you need some to be successful and this team has very little outside of Danny Granger

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SkipperZ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SkipperZ View Post
    im not trying to sound pessimistic but... i dont understand where you (and half of this board) sees "so much potential"

dont get me wrong I thought this team would win around 36-40 games, but not because I thought they were talented... they just overachieved so much last year that I thought they could do it again with their style of play

On paper, this is at best a 30 win team. it is without a doubt one of the last 5 talented teams in the league. (maaaaybe NY, NJ, Minnesota, and Charlotte...?) I mean I'd throw Milwaukee Sacramento and Houston in there if they werent playing so well. You could make a case that Indiana is less talented than every one of those teams. (yes including NJ) Granger himself is the only thing keeping this team above these teams IMO.

I just dont see where this potential is. Dunleavy, Hibbert or Dahntay is our 2nd best player... Think about that objectively. How many teams in the league, not taking contract into account, would trade their 2nd best player for any of those 3. (I would reject Hibbert for Kevin Love, Devin Harris, Andrew Bogut, Luis Scola... Id probably take Hibbert for Stephen Jackson or Danilo Galinari though) We start some combination of TJ, Rush/Dahntay, Murphy, and Roy/Foster to go along with Danny. objectively look at those guys and compare them to other teams in the league.

This team is sorely lacking in talent and instead of these stop gap, nitpicky little mini fixes we waste money on like Dahntay (4 years?!), or draft picks on like Brandon Rush (say what you want about Bayless or Anthony Randolph, but either one is vastly more talented than Brandon Rush) we need a real infusion of talent. Hopefully it happens in the draft or when Murphy's contract becomes an expiring.

I know talent isnt everything, but you need some to be successful and this team has very little outside of Danny Granger
    I agreed with you everything except until the bolded. I'd reject Hibbert for Jackson, and Scola,and accept for Bogut, Harris and Love, and be very tempted by Gallinari.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So, are you saying that the team will be disbanded after 32 games?

Obviously you meant at the end of the calendar year, just my exceptionally weak attempt at gallows humor.

Actually, Danny finally going down will hopefully force O'Brien to do what should be done -- allow all of our rookies and young guys to get some burn because expectations have sunk so low to start with that he won't feel pressure to win games, and the only productive thing to do would be to allow this development to take place on the court. That includes Price, McRoberts, Hibbert (allowing him to foul out repeatedly if needed), Hansbrough (as his minute restriction allows), Solo, and Rush (yes, Rush should still play, especially with more of a scoring expectation where he is a primary option like he was when Granger went down last season).

And, if this is done, I believe we may win a few more games due to a slower pace (presumably) and higher energy level for defense and shooting, especially if we simply go to more of an actual man to man defense like those players are more accustomed to.

If, OTOH, O'Brien doesn't do that, it should lead to an epiphany on the part of TPTB that we should go ahead and get rid of O'B and try hard to get Byron Scott. Or, who knows, hire Mike Dunleavy Jr. as a player coach like in days of old. Can't be any worse than it is, can it?

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    Or, who knows, hire Mike Dunleavy Jr. as a player coach like in days of old.
    I think the league outlawed player-coaches a number of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    Which is a shame.

However, I read Bill Simmon's way of getting around this: You hire a token head coach with the full understanding that he's going to serve as an assistant coach to one of the players. On the books and to the media he's the head coach who simply "listens to the players" more than most. Unofficially, the player is the HC.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    Then let's make Murph our non-player coach.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Then let's make Murph our non-player coach.
    Well, he'd have as much chance of getting benched as a PC as he would with O'brien coaching, so you don't lose anything there.

I've never seen a Pacers team look this lost! This looks like summer league play! Wait, I take that back. They actually looked half way decent in summer league!
    Turn out the lights, this party's over!

The best part about this game is I got to watch the end of the Texas-Nebraska football game during commercials.

And the Clippers commentators were really good.

And Danny will finally get to rest from his injuries.

You know, we could have used a little bit of Luther Head tonight to replace Danny.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

And Danny will finally get to rest from his injuries.
    Will they let Danny rest enough though? Or will it be like with JO? I hope the former, but I fear the latter.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mourning For This Useful Post:

Maybe not the right place for this, but instead of starting another negative thread, here we go .................

I'm not the diehard fan that many around here are. I don't stay up to watch the west-coast games (I'd rather sleep) and I don't adjust my schedule to fit in other broadcasts. I have been a fan since the 70's. I've been thru the highs and lows with the organization. I remember the curtain @ MSA. I wondered 'Reggie WHO ??' when they drafted him.

That said, I am quickly losing whatever interest I had in this group. Even in the past bad seasons, the guys tried. They played hard. They cared about the game and they cared about losing and they made every effort - though it usually wasn't near enough - to win a game. This group doesn't. The players (with perhaps 1 or 2 exceptions) don't give the effort. Who knows what JOB is thinking - if anything. His contract is guaranteed too.

It shows in the body language of the guys on the court. It shows in the body language and reactions of the guys on the bench. JOB shows no emotion whatsoever, so again, I wonder what is going thru his mind.

I'd love to sit down in a little dive bar with Tyler and have a beer with him - I'll buy. If there's one guy that isn't conditioned to the losing and attitude that prevails over this team, he'd be the guy. I'd love to hear his honest analysis of what's going on here.

I know I'm just one fan, but they're losing me. I also know that I don't stand alone in that world. There's a huge difference between a bad team and a group of guys that simply doesn't care. I can see more competitive and entertaining basketball at a local highschool gym or a CYO league. At least those kids care and have a heart for the game.

Solution ?? Damned if I know. I think it's gone too far to resolve quickly. But the cure has to start somewhere, somehow, sometime. Keeping things status-quo gives fans like myself - and many of you also - no hope for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    Maybe not the right place for this, but instead of starting another negative thread, here we go .................

I'm not the diehard fan that many around here are. I don't stay up to watch the west-coast games (I'd rather sleep) and I don't adjust my schedule to fit in other broadcasts. I have been a fan since the 70's. I've been thru the highs and lows with the organization. I remember the curtain @ MSA. I wondered 'Reggie WHO ??' when they drafted him.

That said, I am quickly losing whatever interest I had in this group. Even in the past bad seasons, the guys tried. They played hard. They cared about the game and they cared about losing and they made every effort - though it usually wasn't near enough - to win a game. This group doesn't. The players (with perhaps 1 or 2 exceptions) don't give the effort. Who knows what JOB is thinking - if anything. His contract is guaranteed too.

It shows in the body language of the guys on the court. It shows in the body language and reactions of the guys on the bench. JOB shows no emotion whatsoever, so again, I wonder what is going thru his mind.

I'd love to sit down in a little dive bar with Tyler and have a beer with him - I'll buy. If there's one guy that isn't conditioned to the losing and attitude that prevails over this team, he'd be the guy. I'd love to hear his honest analysis of what's going on here.

I know I'm just one fan, but they're losing me. I also know that I don't stand alone in that world. There's a huge difference between a bad team and a group of guys that simply doesn't care. I can see more competitive and entertaining basketball at a local highschool gym or a CYO league. At least those kids care and have a heart for the game.

Solution ?? Damned if I know. I think it's gone too far to resolve quickly. But the cure has to start somewhere, somehow, sometime. Keeping things status-quo gives fans like myself - and many of you also - no hope for the future.

A number of weeks ago it was discussed that a player or players weren't happy with O'Brien. In the last 10 games, this team is 1-9 with no fire. Could it be the players have truly tuned out O'Brien, and he's lost them? IDK, but I definately know something isn't right with this team... they AREN'T playing like a team or one that cares.

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    Will they let Danny rest enough though? Or will it be like with JO? I hope the former, but I fear the latter.

We share the same fear. I said last week they should just shut him until he is completely healed. No more been there done that JO garbage. Let Granger fully heal!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Mood

does anybody actually believe Larry would fire JOB this season?

Yeah I wouldn't have believed it likely to happen when the season began...but I think that a change is coming eventually and if the losing continues it'll happen before season's end.

I don't see it happening, especially after picking up Jimmy's option. Bird's too proud and stubborn to fire Jimmy b4 the season is over thus putting egg all over his face. UNLESS Bird has no intention of being back next year himself.

Personally, I'd rather start next season with a new coach, Pres, and a good lottery pick. I truly believe a new start as such would be best for the franchise at this point.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

All of the following:

Also:

To all of you:
    Last edited by gummy; 12-06-2009 at 01:24 AM.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

I don't see how they are going to win another game with the status quo. We really have become the worst team in the NBA. I can see this turning into a 20 game losing streak.