Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pleading to fire coach O'Brien

Hybrid View

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Pleading to fire coach O'Brien

I posted a thread several months ago about firing this loser, and you guys ripped me apart. I hope most of you have wised up. First of all, the rotation has been laughable. When Hibbert was getting minutes early on, he was producing and the team was winning. Solomon Jones was also providing productive minutes off the bench. With Foster and Murphy coming back to the rotation, Hibbert's production is non-existent and Jones can't get off the bench. O yeah, I almost forgot, we haven't won anything since Foster and Murphy came back. What ever happened to earning you way back into the rotation? I have also been impressed with Hansbrough. He can score the basket, and make plays defensively, but coach doesn't seem to want to play him either. T.J. Ford should be a back-up somewhere. The fact that he is our starting PG is embarrising. Dunleavy simply is not that good of a player, never has been and never will be. He had a good season two years ago on a poor team. I believe that Hibbert, Rush, Hansbrough all need minutes. Losers like Ford, Foster, Murphy, and Dunleavy don't need to see much action. Coach is in love with these washed up veterans that should only be getting maybe 10 minuets a game max.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pleading to fire coach O'Brien

My favorite posts are the ones that "plead" to fire the coach and then go on to complain about the players on the roster not being any good...

And yes, clearly you were the only genius here 8 months ago that didn't like the Indiana state treasure that is Jim O'Brien.

Here are a couple other things you said in that thread...

Quote Originally Posted by bhaas0532 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    T Murphy, although overpaid, can be an effective weapon with his abliity to shoot threes.
    ...and here...

T.J Ford is good enough to win 40 games with.
    or here....

We have all seen what Jeff Foster can do when given an opportunity.JOB doesn't seem to know how to utilize Jeff's talent.
    and now?

Losers like Ford, Foster, Murphy, and Dunleavy don't need to see much action. Coach is in love with these washed up veterans that should only be getting maybe 10 minuets a game max.
    I salute you, sir. You certainly made us "wise up."
    Last edited by Kstat; 12-05-2009 at 05:38 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

3. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    My favorite posts are the ones that "plead" to fire the coach and then go on to complain about the players on the roster not being any good...

And yes, clearly you were the only genius here 8 months ago that didn't like the Indiana state treasure that is Jim O'Brien.

...and here...

or here....

and now?

I salute you

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

...and here...

or here....

and now?

This is why I love "our" resident Pistons fan here .
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

It's only a problem when you criticize the coach and provide no meaningful options. He lists Hibbert and Solomon as a couple options. I would agree with him there.

Unless you believe the young guys are not worth developing, it is pointless to play the vets big minutes...unless they help you win games which is clearly not the case.

Check the record.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    It's only a problem when you criticize the coach and provide no meaningful options. He lists Hibbert and Solomon as a couple options. I would agree with him there.

Unless you believe the young guys are not worth developing, it is pointless to play the vets big minutes...unless they help you win games which is clearly not the case.

Check the record.
    Obrien might being trying to establish a solid rotation and then improve the play
    of the 1st and 2nd units. It is fairly obvious there is room for improvement
    for all the players. So there is some logic to playing the vets as that is what wins in
    this league.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    Obrien might being trying to establish a solid rotation and then improve the play
    of the 1st and 2nd units. It is fairly obvious there is room for improvement
    for all the players. So there is some logic to playing the vets as that is what wins in
    this league.
    That's the conventional logic. While I do advocate playing the younger players (Hibbert, Hans, Solomon, Rush and maybe McBob)...I would still play Dunleavy, D Jones, Watson and Foster significant minutes...so I'm not that hardcore. However, I would argue that our vets are not very talented and some of them help you lose games, not win them.

The reality is, we know what the vets can do for us on a good day...and it's 10th in the east and about a .400 record (very roughly). I think the younger players have better potential...and that 10th place ceiling is not good enough to matter.

The main reason JOB needs to go is his inability to get the players to play defense. The Pacers have to give up an average of 105 points a game. He asked for atheleic players to fit his system and it's not working, his time is up. Lawrence Frank can come in and get these players to play to their potential, because I believe O'Bien has lost them.

Quote Originally Posted by eldubious View Post
    Lawrence Frank can come in and get these players to play to their potential .........
    Like he did in Jersey ??

I posted a thread several months ago about firing this loser, and you guys ripped me apart. I hope most of you have wised up. First of all, the rotation has been laughable. When Hibbert was getting minutes early on, he was producing and the team was winning. Solomon Jones was also providing productive minutes off the bench. With Foster and Murphy coming back to the rotation, Hibbert's production is non-existent and Jones can't get off the bench. O yeah, I almost forgot, we haven't won anything since Foster and Murphy came back. What ever happened to earning you way back into the rotation? I have also been impressed with Hansbrough. He can score the basket, and make plays defensively, but coach doesn't seem to want to play him either. T.J. Ford should be a back-up somewhere. The fact that he is our starting PG is embarrising. Dunleavy simply is not that good of a player, never has been and never will be. He had a good season two years ago on a poor team. I believe that Hibbert, Rush, Hansbrough all need minutes. Losers like Ford, Foster, Murphy, and Dunleavy don't need to see much action. Coach is in love with these washed up veterans that should only be getting maybe 10 minuets a game max.
    I agree with most of you said, EXCEPT the Dunleavy part..

I absolutely love Dun as a player.. I just cannot wait to see him in full form with his minute limit lifted , and his rythem/conditioning back.. I don't think he is too far off to be honest.. moreso his conditioning is off than anything, cause his shots seem to be falling pretty well.. IMO

He is very consistant for the most part, and makes smart plays, moves very well on the floor, thus creating for the rest of the team (with or without the ball).. I couldn't ask for a better smart "BASKETBALL PLAYER" than Mike Dunleavy Jr. ..
    I just wish he was about 5" inches shorter so he could be our starting point guard.. lolz

He makes everyone around him better when he is on the floor for the most part (unless you have a deadweight on the floor with him.. then it kinda evens out and takes away the + of him being out there..)

But I agree with most of what else you said though...But you lost me on the Mike part.. And although I am VERY upset with JOB at this point, I am not quite ready to bring out the torches and pitchforks yet... Come Feb , and he is still puzzling me with his decision making and rotations, PLUS we are losing... ya then it's time for Jim to go...
    Last edited by Kemo; 12-05-2009 at 06:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

Roy has started every game but two and each of those two games were because of matchups, so the fact of the matter is he is still getting a more than fair chance to play well every game. And when he does play well within a game he plays more minutes. Tyler is on a minute limit of 16 per game.
    Oh, why bother

Let me say something. I used to think and would often say this forum was better when the Pacers were struggling, not this season though, this forum has degenerated into something I'm not too sure I always still want to be a part of.

The day after the next Pacers coach is hired, I think a new fire the coach thread should be started and stickied and just kept at the top of the page so it is all in one nice thread
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 12-05-2009 at 08:23 PM.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Let me say something. I used to think and would often say this forum was better when the Pacers were struggling, not this season though, this forum has degenerated into something I'm not too sure I always still want to be a part of.

The day after the next Pacers coach is hired, I think a new fire the coach thread should be started and stickied and just kept at the top of the page so it is all in one nice thread

Sorry, UB, hate to disagree with you as one of the members I respect the most (which I do), but have you forgotten the fire Carlisle threads a few years ago? I haven't and it mostly happenned in his last year when the team, just like now, was underperforming and the team looked lost. It felt like everyday or after every loss a new one would come up, so I don't view the situation with JOB as new. Maybe, because of the way JOB likes this team to play accelerates the irritation about him? I dunno .

While, I don't think JOB has (completely) lost the team yet, I'm quite worried about the wheels completely falling of off our team as this season proceeds. The good news? Getting a better pick then expected in what scouts think could be a pretty good draft class. Hey, you have to hold your hopes to something.

Anyway, I say what management should do is let JOB coach the team until early january and see where we are then make a decision on what to do next this year: let him finish it or fire him and replace him in january. The conclusion should be that this is his last year though.

Just my

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    Sorry, UB, hate to disagree with you as one of the members I respect the most (which I do), but have you forgotten the fire Carlisle threads a few years ago? I haven't and it mostly happenned in his last year when the team, just like now, was underperforming and the team looked lost. It felt like everyday or after every loss a new one would come up, so I don't view the situation with JOB as new. Maybe, because of the way JOB likes this team to play accelerates the irritation about him? I dunno .

While, I don't think JOB has (completely) lost the team yet, I'm quite worried about the wheels completely falling of off our team as this season proceeds. The good news? Getting a better pick then expected in what scouts think could be a pretty good draft class. Hey, you have to hold your hopes to something.

Anyway, I say what management should do is let JOB coach the team until early january and see where we are then make a decision on what to do next this year: let him finish it or fire him and replace him in january. The conclusion should be that this is his last year though.

Just my

I remember the fire the coach threads in Carlisle's era, it started around March of Rick's second to last year here (I found several of these old theads about a month ago but they were lost when the forum was down) It obviously didn't start in Rick's first year because the pacers won 61 games, the second year was the brawl, so it couldn't start that season.

I have no problem with thinking JOB isn't the right coach for the Pacers and right now it is certainly resonable to assume that he has lost the team. That is fine, but why must we have a new thred every third day about it, and for the person who startd this thred to act like he is the only one who ever considered firing JOB it just is too much

Buck ................ relax, have a beer, watch the Colts.

This team doesn't care, why should we ??

......why must we have a new thred every third day about it, and for the person who startd this thred to act like he is the only one who ever considered firing JOB it just is too much
    Buck, I think the answer to your question is simple. Some posters are just one-trick-ponies. It is simply all they are capable of coming up with to say, so they say it over and over.

Most of these posters are likely the same ones who wouldn't understand half of what you post, or get Peck's humor in his "odd thoughts" bits, and certainly would be totally lost by the second paragraph of one of T-bird's "basketball clinic in a post" writings.

I know that will upset a few, and I have been guilty of a bit of it myself over the years, but that is my view and I'm sticking to it.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    Buck, I think the answer to your question is simple. Some posters are just one-trick-ponies. It is simply all they are capable of coming up with to say, so they say it over and over.

Most of these posters are likely the same ones who wouldn't understand half of what you post, or get Peck's humor in his "odd thoughts" bits, and certainly would be totally lost by the second paragraph of one of T-bird's "basketball clinic in a post" writings.

I know that will upset a few, and I have been guilty of a bit of it myself over the years, but that is my view and I'm sticking to it.
    Because some people either have big enough of an ego to think they can create a superior thread, or they're so stupid they don't realize this is already being discussed somewhere else.

That is fine, but why must we have a new thred every third day about it, and for the person who startd this thred to act like he is the only one who ever considered firing JOB it just is too much
    That I completely agree with!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Mourning For This Useful Post:

Roy has started every game but two and each of those two games were because of matchups, so the fact of the matter is he is still getting a more than fair chance to play well every game. And when he does play well within a game he plays more minutes. Tyler is on a minute limit of 16 per game.
    Oh, why bother

I think merging these to a sticky was a good idea. As an admin, why don't you do it? BTW, Hibbert had a pretty good game last night...

Mood

SERIOUSLY. Let it go. Just let it go.

I hope most of you have wised up.
    You certainly have a charming way with words. Likely has endeared you to a lot of people.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

Regarding Frank. Name the last coach that got fired during the season even this early, that went to a new team that very season. I'm not too sure it has ever happened.

No need to fire Obie.

Just get rid of his crutches. Trade TJ and Murphy.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Wake me up next season.
    Mood

Sports Logo

Sigh.....

It sure is nice having that "Ignore This Thread" option.

Lawrence Frank is a good coach. I think he's better off with veterans, but he's a good coach.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Lawrence Frank is a good coach. I think he's better off with veterans, but he's a good coach.
    I'm jumping into the speculation pool. It's warm and comforting in here.

At this point I'd rather see us get a coach that excels at developing young players. We need to help Rush and Hibbert develop, as both still have a ton of potential. Plus I think we'll have at least one more high draft pick before things turn around. I feel like O'Brien was brought in to make what we have competitive, immediately, and that sooner or later priorities are going to change when we have the pieces together on this team that we want to keep.