View Poll Results: When will changes to this roster or coaching staff take place?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • ASAP

0 0%
  • All star break/deadline

10 28.57%
  • Wait till summer

14 40.00%
  • What changes?

11 31.43%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long before personel changes?

Default How long before personel changes?

Given the teams recent struggles, I was curious how long you think Bird and Morway take to make player or coaching changes?
    Last edited by pwee31; 12-06-2009 at 02:58 PM.

Default Re: How long before personel changes?

You'll make major personnel moves in 2011 (either at the trade deadline or the summer) when Dunleavy, Murphy, Foster and Ford all come off the payroll. The team should have plenty of flexibility at that time.

That was the case this past summer and that's the case right now. Nothing has changed in that regard.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to d_c For This Useful Post:

hopeful they make some changes before the end of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You'll make major personnel moves in 2011 (either at the trade deadline or the summer) when Dunleavy, Murphy, Foster and Ford all come off the payroll. The team should have plenty of flexibility at that time.

That was the case this past summer and that's the case right now. Nothing has changed in that regard.
    So you believe that no matter what happens this year during the season, our front office will just sit back and watch this team no matter the outcome?

I understand our hands are tied with those contracts until 2011, but I'm just curious what folks think is going through the mind of our front office right now?

I don't see Bird firing his good friend. This is why I don't like what Larry Bird is doing. He keeps hiring friends as coach and then it becomes a tough decision to fire them.

I have lost confidence in our front office, I don't think they are going to change a thing this year.

If Bird somehow gets us a new coach and trades Murph I would feel a bit better.

But I am also questioning Bird and Jim's talent evaluation. There have been a few good aquistions, DJones being one of them, I loved JJack when he was here, I have hope, even if it is diminishing, for Hibbert to be our future C still. He was truly awesome in that mythical-5-game-win-streak-of-legend. I am on the fence with BRush, I really do like the kid and he plays excellent D, but he is the most passive.. pass first SG I have ever seen, with bad handles to boot. Jr is good to have around I guess, he is the only one actually moving around on offense with some great cuts, but it's not like that makes him a great player, he is just doing what he is supposed to, which makes him elite on the Pacers I guess. I dunno, but I have serious doubts about the rest of the team.

At this point, it would not suprise me in the least if TPTB actually resigned Murph for 7m a year when his contract is up. That is the level of my cynicism...

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by JGray View Post
    I don't see Bird firing his good friend. This is why I don't like what Larry Bird is doing. He keeps hiring friends as coach and then it becomes a tough decision to fire them.
    I've never seen/read anything to suggest they are good friends. Now Rick Carlisle, yeah, that was a good friend of his.

And you know what, after giving him a FOUR (Not one, like Jim) year contract extension, he fired him when he thought it was the right thing to do.

So this whole notion that Bird won't fire Jim for some silly reason like that (friend or contract extension) just doesn't fly.

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    So you believe that no matter what happens this year during the season, our front office will just sit back and watch this team no matter the outcome?

I understand our hands are tied with those contracts until 2011, but I'm just curious what folks think is going through the mind of our front office right now?
    There's not much they can do besides shuffle some deck chairs right now. I mean, this past offseason, you swapped out a bunch of role players for a new set of role players. How big of a difference maker was that?

They weren't gonna do much more than a 7th or 8th seed anyways this year.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to d_c For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Burtrem Redneck View Post
    that mythical-5-game-win-streak-of-legend.
    What streak? There was never a win streak.

-- George Orwell

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    I mean, this past offseason, you swapped out a bunch of role players for a new set of role players. How big of a difference maker was that?
    Not a big difference, except for those five games where the new set of players played a lot of minutes.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Personnel. And not as soon as must of us would hope.

It's overdue. I'm off the "Wait games w/ JOB" boat. He's turned TJ Ford into an untradable player, failed to build a rotation, lost our team, is going to injure Mike Dunleavy, ruin our fanbase, ruined Roy Hibbert and Rush, plays our most useless player and ruining his tradability because of his +/-, and won't play our best PF because he's young. He talks the talk, and makes everyone believe him, then goes the other way when things get tough. I was convinced that he might actually play some basketball and play our FA's, but he lied. Some one said he's like a sleezy car salesperson, and whoever said it said it right.
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

Way to go Jim, you may have just put our franchise back another 4+ years.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Thesterovic For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

They can't make any personnel changes. We don't have anyone with any value to trade.

They only thing they can do is make a coaching change. Which needs to happen soon. Like yesterday.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    Most ..................

streets ahead

I really hope Brian posts in this thread...

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

After this season more then likely. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    Most ..................
    I wish I were being ironic.

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    I really hope Brian posts in this thread...
    You can't just live and let die can you?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Herb Simon is telling Bird that this team needs to win much sooner than later.

The Pacers have been known to make unexpected wholesale changes when things are not going well. When we were underachieving in the early part of this decade we nuked the what was left of the ECF champs for the Chicago trade. After the police trouble we quickly shipped a big crew to Golden State. If we have a really woeful record at the trade deadline I wouldn't be surprised to see a move.

And I'm not just talking expiring contracts. I'm talking about Danny, Roy, Rush on the table. We may not make a great deal, but we might make a deal for the sake of trying to change things. I don't know if the long term implications will be what we want, but no, it would not surprise me if the Pacers do something unexpected at the deadline if we are losing 7 or 8 out of every 10 games.

streets ahead

You can't just live and let die can you?
    You know you did, you know you did, you know you did...

25. The Following User Says Thank You to avoidingtheclowns For This Useful Post:

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Coach...not later than the all star break. Maybe some personnel, but I don't think they'd do anything to jepordize the cap deal unless it was a blockbuster.

The worst, the absolute worst thing the Pacers can do right now is panic and make personnel moves in some haphazard effort to salvage this season if it in anyway jeopardizing what they are looking to do in 2011. That means, don't trade Murphy too early, that means don't trade Ford too early (maybe not trading them at all ever is the best way to go).

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Just wanted to see what others thought?

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=14582

NBA AM: Are The Pacers On The Move?

By: Steve Kyler Last Updated: 12/7/09 9:56 AM ET | 1660 times read

Adjust font size:Is Change Coming To Indiana? It is never a good thing when your team's General Manager is traveling with the team this late in the season. Indiana GM David Morway decided to hang with the team for a few more games during this most recent road trip, which generally means management is trying to figure out who's the problem. Is it the players or is it the coach?

The Pacers are 6-12 on the season, but have dropped nine of their last 10 games. They still have two games before they reach the 20-game mark, but it looks as though the Pacers are considering a change and sources close to the situation believe it will be roster changes before it is bench changes.

The Pacers have just two ending contracts in Earl Watson ($2.8 million) and Travis Diener ($1.7 million) – neither will return anything of real value. Troy Murphy and Jeff Foster may be the most tradable assets; however both have hefty 2010 contracts with Murphy on the books for $11.9 million and Foster on the books for $6.5 million.

As the injury bug strikes around the league in December, these guys might become more valuable, but for teams looking towards 2010, both players may hit the cap too hard to be valuable today.

Don't be surprised to see Indiana make a push for a deal, it seems that's exactly what they are starting to size up.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to kielbeze For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by kielbeze View Post
    Just wanted to see what others thought?
    NBA AM: Are The Pacers On The Move?

By: Steve Kyler Last Updated: 12/7/09 9:56 AM ET | 1660 times read

Adjust font size:Is Change Coming To Indiana? It is never a good thing when your team's General Manager is traveling with the team this late in the season. Indiana GM David Morway decided to hang with the team for a few more games during this most recent road trip, which generally means management is trying to figure out who's the problem. Is it the players or is it the coach?

The Pacers are 6-12 on the season, but have dropped nine of their last 10 games. They still have two games before they reach the 20-game mark, but it looks as though the Pacers are considering a change and sources close to the situation believe it will be roster changes before it is bench changes.

The Pacers have just two ending contracts in Earl Watson ($2.8 million) and Travis Diener ($1.7 million) – neither will return anything of real value. Troy Murphy and Jeff Foster may be the most tradable assets; however both have hefty 2010 contracts with Murphy on the books for $11.9 million and Foster on the books for $6.5 million.

As the injury bug strikes around the league in December, these guys might become more valuable, but for teams looking towards 2010, both players may hit the cap too hard to be valuable today.

Don't be surprised to see Indiana make a push for a deal, it seems that's exactly what they are starting to size up.

We need the link???

Yeah we need the link to Mr. Obvious's rather obvious article.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    We need the link???

Yeah we need the link to Mr. Obvious's rather obvious article.
    http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=14582

33. The Following User Says Thank You to kielbeze For This Useful Post:

No big change is coming! This was setup to be a team that wins 30-40 games contends for the 8 seed in the playoffs until the last month so people stay interested for the next 2 years. Then a major change comes with a new set of people running the show. Larry, JOB will all be gone after that maybe even new owner soon after too. The best that we can hope for is a change in the bench or roll players over the next 2 years. The other thing is who would want any of these guys!