Thread: Philly

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Philly

I had a similar post about trading for Elton Brand and sending Troy Murphy and Jamaal Tinsley a while back. I figured a similar deal would be possible this time around. Brand does make a LOT of money still, but we could really use a better front court player.

Troy Murphy 2 yr, 33M
    TJ Ford 2 yr, 17M

for

Elton Brand 4 yr, 66M
    Royal Ivey 1 yr, 1M
    Draft pick compensation for taking on the extra money possibly
    $3M Cash

This intrudes on our 2011 summer. This saves us about 5M this year and 5M next year, which solves our LT issues next year. We get a huge upgrade at PF, who can play center as well. He complements Hibbert a hell of a lot better, and we can use Foster and Hansborough off the bench, which is what we need to be doing anyway.

We get rid of Ford, let Watson start and get AJ Price some significant playing time. We take on an extra $14M in this deal, but it helps us from a talent perspective. I like Elton Brand a lot, even with his injury history, and think he would be a better piece than anything we could land in free agency. And the money isn't all that bad considering its duration. This might hurt our long-term flexibility too much. But its the only way I can see taking Murphy out of JOB's hands.

Default Re: Philly

It's not a bad deal. Philly needs more shooting. I doubt we get a draft pick out of them. I'd love watching them play Ford and Iverson at the same time.

Brand, however, is a poor fit in O'Brien's offense. I don't know that he'd have much more success here than he's having in Philly. The one thing I like is that his rebounding stats are probably a bit more legit. than Murphy's. Though I'd be less likely to play Brand at C than Murphy.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

If this team is trying to make room contract-wise, then acquiring Brand won't help them in that regard. Additionally, Brand has had some injury issues over the past few years, which is arguably the main reason why the Sixers have been unable to trade him in the first place.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Melli, I agree that he wouldn't fit JOB's system, but I have a feeling he would be here for three more years than what JOB is.

Ford plays the same type of ball-dominating basketball that Iverson, Lou Williams, Willie Green, and Iguodala all play. That team has such a poor make-up of players that all play too similar to be effective. Iverson took more away from Carmelo than he helped. They couldn't be effective because they both did the exact same thing.

I would NEVER play Murphy at Center, but I also wouldn't play Murphy more than about 15-20 minutes a game in a back up role. His game fits the second unit just like Ford and I don't understand why JOB doesn't understand that. Our starting lineup of Ford, Dahntay, Dun, Murphy, and Foster is the perfect secondary unit. Complementary offensive and defensive players.

I'd be more interested in the draft pick, which could be a top 10. Remember, Elton Brand is already 30 and hasn't been 100% in 2 years. There's a chance he could be washed up. I'd hate to be in another JO-like situation.
    basketbawful.com- The best of the worst of professional basketball. And there's a lot of it.

Mood

I like it if Brand can stay healthy.