Thread: Pacers related notes from ESPN chats

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Pacers related notes from ESPN chats

I didn't see anything posted about the comments, which are fairly general and uninteresting, but thought I would post them anyways.

Hollinger's chat http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/29669

Larry (Indianapolis)

Can I call Brandon Rush a bust yet?
    John Hollinger (3:08 PM)

I'll go ahead and do it for you. What's funny is that I thought he'd really be a force defensively but struggle offensively. Instead he's in and out defensively .. and struggles offensively.

Travis F. (DC)

John, my Pacers have too much depth and not enough talent. What can they turn their expiring contracts into that can help them this year and long term??
    John Hollinger (2:20 PM)

the goal in Indy is to create cap space in 2011 and then make a run at a free agent, hopefully with a strong enough young nucleus to persuade a star to join them. That's the problematic part -- Hibbert has been good when he doesn't pick up three fouls in the first 45 seconds, but Rush and Hansbrough haven't provided much help.
    Thorpe's chat http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat...r-david-thorpe

Benny (Indianapolis)

Do the Pacers have the worst backcourt in the NBA?
    David Thorpe (12:06 PM)

They are in the running.

Venkat (India)

Can we officially label Brandon Rush a bust?
    David Thorpe (12:13 PM)

As a late lottery pick, probably not. Many of them do not pan out.

Eric (Indy)

The players aren't saying anything, but Jim O'Brien is clearly losing control of this Pacer team! Is he gone along with Larry Legend after this season?
    David Thorpe (12:33 PM)

I don't agree at all.

Damien (Indianapolis)

Is Hansbrough good enough to be the starting power forward for the Pacers down the road?
    David Thorpe (12:37 PM)

Probably better suited coming off the bench. If he can learn to be a legit 3 point threat, then possibly.

Venkat (India)

The Pacers need a wolf. There are too many sheep on this team.
    David Thorpe (12:48 PM)

I think Bird would prefer a 2 who can shoot and score in bunches.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Default Re: Pacers related notes from ESPN chats

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I didn't see anything posted about the comments, which are fairly general and uninteresting, but thought I would post them anyways.

Hollinger's chat http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/29669

Thorpe's chat http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat...r-david-thorpe
    Dash my man, I don't think I despise a "sports writer" any more than Hollinger. He can take his "PER" and shove'em up his tight little arse.

Yes Dahanty Jones was the worst signing in the off-season
    Sittin on top of the world!

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

Interesting that he strongly disagrees with the job JOB is doing.

The players aren't saying anything, but Jim O'Brien is clearly losing control of this Pacer team! Is he gone along with Larry Legend after this season?

I don't agree at all.

Um, David I dont agree you have been :

A. Watching any Pacer games this year
    B. Why the hell would we want Tyler shooting 3's Why dont we just have Roy bring the ball up court while were at it.
    C. Drug free as you claim

streets ahead

Any one else concerned that our team president is asking Hollinger for player analysis via webchat?

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to avoidingtheclowns For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    Any one else concerned that our team president is asking Hollinger for player analysis via webchat?
    Nope,

Always knew Bird's ego was too big for his own good

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote by David Thorpe
    "If he can learn to be a legit 3 point threat, then possibly.
    I don't know much about David Thorpe, but come on, this is the dumbest quote I've read in a long time from an NBA analyst.

Why the hell would Tyler EVER "need" a 3pt shot to be a legit NBA starter? If he can just hit a 15-18 footer jumper consistently along with improving the stuff he already does very well he can be quality NBA starter.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:

ESPN is writing off Hans after 180 minutes of PT?!? I'm blaming the 38% FG on some rookie-itis and the long layoff due to the shin. IMHO if he gets it to 45% and stays of foul trouble, Murph is out of a job.
    basketbawful.com- The best of the worst of professional basketball. And there's a lot of it.

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post

I don't agree at all.

Um, David I dont agree you have been :

A. Watching any Pacer games this year
    B. Why the hell would we want Tyler shooting 3's Why dont we just have Roy bring the ball up court while were at it.
    C. Drug free as you claim
    If you read his write up on Tyler Hansborough, the answer is obvious. And no, not the write up in his chat, his actual write up.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    Quote by David Thorpe

I don't know much about David Thorpe, but come on, this is the dumbest quote I've read in a long time from an NBA analyst.

Why the hell would Tyler EVER "need" a 3pt shot to be a legit NBA starter? If he can just hit a 15-18 footer jumper consistently along with improving the stuff he already does very well he can be quality NBA starter.
    Please, even if Tyler develops that we're not sure if he can get that off- he is more valuable as a stretch four than a traditional four- I absolutely agree with Thorpe in this case.

Can someone explain to me this concern about Tyler "getting his shot off"?

Do you mean to imply, "getting his shot off in traffic"?

Because if you mean at all, clearly he's been taking those shots already without getting blocked.

And if I'm correct in that you really mean "in traffic", then I don't see the point in worrying about that. I don't think Tyler's ever going to be a "get him the ball and watch him drain jumpers in traffic" kind of guy.

I think, however, he will be a reliable jump shooter when he gets the ball off of kick outs or ball reversal.

I don't see the big deal. It sounds like a concern for someone you were hoping would be a top "go to" scorer for the team.

Is that what some are expecting? I see a guy who could rack up points by feeding off of others (primary scoring options and pass-first point guards).

He seems to bring an offense-enhancing kind of style, if you will, rather than a focal point offensive game. Meaning that he'll make your team's offense better by feeding off of the typical "go to" scorers on the floor with him, but he won't be the one creating the primary offensive attack. I don't think there's anything wrong with that or "useless" about that, as some of you seem to be implying across the board.

Banned

If Mehmet (sp?) can get his shot off then Tyler shouldnt have a problem with doing the same. Developing the 3pt shot is a whole nother matter though.. 35% would probably be his ceiling from long range.

Hicks: Getting his shot off is getting his shot off against defenders who are taller and longer than him, without being bothered too much by the defender. Basically it's a worry to shorter players when defended by average to longer players. It applies to all situations when he is defended by a player- which includes in traffic.

Psycho- there is a slight size and length difference between the two players.

What difference does it make 90% of the time how big/small the defender is if he's not on you when you are taking the shot? I understand that certain players will sometimes do a great job of getting back to contest or block, but most of the time if your man leaves you and the ball gets to you promptly, it won't matter.

Seems like it comes down to covered or in traffic versus being wide open. It'd be nice if Tyler shows he can shoot in traffic, but as long as he can hit open jumpers, I don't think it matter much.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    What difference does it make 90% of the time how big/small the defender is if he's not on you when you are taking the shot? I understand that certain players will sometimes do a great job of getting back to contest or block, but most of the time if your man leaves you and the ball gets to you promptly, it won't matter.

Seems like it comes down to covered or in traffic versus being wide open. It'd be nice if Tyler shows he can shoot in traffic, but as long as he can hit open jumpers, I don't think it matter much.
    I guess, but if we expect tyler to start I'd like think we could be able to run a few plays for him where he could shoot even when contested. But it's more than fair for that to be not an issue- Tyler brings plenty of other things that isn't scoring.

edit: Love has a decent 3pt shot now....
    Last edited by flox; 12-06-2009 at 01:57 AM.