Thread: Shawne Williams a ghost of potential

Default Shawne Williams a ghost of potential

Shawne Williams has gone from being a celebrated first-round NBA draft pick to someone who may as well adopt the nickname Casper.

He's suddenly become a ghost in the basketball world.
    Shawne Williams

The Dallas Mavericks employ Williams. He's officially on their roster. The 6-9 forward is earning more than $2 million.

But Williams is not mentioned in the team's game notes. You won't see the former University of Memphis standout on the Mavs' bench when they visit the Grizzlies tonight.

"He was asked to leave," Mavs owner Mark Cuban wrote in an e-mail. "Can't get into it beyond that."

Cuban gave the Dallas Morning News a more blunt response: "We got Shawne Williams and took a chance on him. It didn't work out and we put him out to pasture."

What ever happened to Shawne Williams?

The 23-year-old Memphian out of Hamilton High, whose hoops dream got interrupted by some incidents, finds his career on hold. He's literally being paid to stay away from the Mavs.

Listen to Williams, and he doesn't sound disturbed or discouraged.

"I just feel like there were a lot of irreconcilable differences," Williams said. "If I could be there, I would be there. It's not like I'm not there by choice. It's by force. But I don't have a grudge. Mark's a great owner. He's hands-on. He likes basketball. We're just two different people. It's a business."

On the surface, Williams is experiencing the same treatment the Indiana Pacers dished to Griz point guard Jamaal Tinsley nearly two years ago. Both players were told to stay away from their respective franchises even though they could play at a high level.

"I just learned from it," Tinsley said. "The only thing I can tell Shawne is that when you get another opportunity just play hard and do what's asked. It's a business. There's always somebody else there to take your spot on the roster."

Williams has been dogged by off-court issues that have clouded the opinion of his basketball worth since 2006 when the Pacers drafted him. Mavs coach Rick Carlisle -- Williams' coach while a rookie with the Pacers -- insisted on swapping veteran Eddie Jones for Williams in October 2008.

Yet Williams has spent more time between Dallas, Memphis and Las Vegas with personal trainers than in NBA arenas over the past year.

Williams' agent, Happy Walters, blames Williams' circumstance on perception, pointing out that his client hasn't experienced legal issues in Dallas.

"He's not as bad as what everyone seems to think," Walters said. "Shawne and Mark Cuban haven't seen eye-to-eye. It has nothing to do with the (Dallas) coaches and teammates. It's between him and Mark."

Williams insists his separation has mainly to do with a difference of opinion on what his role should be. Williams said he expected to play more, and the Mavs were unwilling to commit.

"I knew I was going to a talented team," Williams said. "I didn't know I wasn't going to play."

The Mavs had little complaints about his basketball ability. They consider him a talent. His toughness, skill set and love for the game were never brought into question.

The Mavs, much like the Pacers, quickly became disenchanted by Williams' lifestyle off the court.

Mavs security personnel and Dallas law enforcement began to warn the organization about Williams' personal behavior.

Williams downplayed his social life and insisted he was always ready to perform.

"A lot of stuff I did three years ago, I won't do right now," Williams said. "You get older and grow up. That's life. I had a lot of problems when I first got into the NBA but I was young. I feel like I haven't gotten into any trouble not to be on the court. I'm finally not getting into trouble and I'm not on the court. That's mind-boggling."

Williams has turned to his former college coach, John Calipari, at times for "some suggestions." Walters has talked to the Mavericks about buying out his client's contract. During training camp, Williams was willing to take less than the $2.4 million he will be paid this season. The Mavs, however, reportedly are keeping Williams in case he can help facilitate a future trade.

Williams sounded confident he'll find a new home by the February trade deadline. "But it's been a very frustrating process," Walters said. "Mark's a powerful guy. Once he has his mind made up it's hard to change it."

Williams, fairly or not, has a role to play in convincing another team to take a chance on him should he become an unrestricted free agent next summer.

"That's the perception," Williams said. "But I'm not putting myself in bad positions. That's the past."

Williams' past includes an arrest in September 2007 after a traffic stop when an officer found marijuana in the SUV he was driving. He pleaded guilty to driving without a license. The Pacers suspended Williams for three games.

It was one of three incidents involving police over a span of 13 months.

A murder suspect in Tennessee was arrested shortly after leaving Williams' suburban Indianapolis home, and police later arrested a passenger for marijuana possession in Williams' car. Williams was not arrested but was ticketed for window tint and seatbelt violations.

"I was in the wrong place at the wrong time," Williams said about those transgressions. "A lot of people I had around me I shouldn't have. I was young. I feel like (Pacers president) Larry Bird and I had a good enough relationship that he asked me if I liked the trade to (Dallas). I agreed to the trade. And Larry said he thought it would be good for me."

Williams is convinced he'll be celebrated again in the NBA; that he won't be a ghost for long.

"I'm a comeback kid," Williams said. "I'll be back."
    http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...-of-potential/
    By Ronald Tillery
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MillerTime For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Shawne Williams a ghost of potential

"He's not as bad as what everyone seems to think," (player agent) Walters said.

wow... what a ringing endorsement from his agent....
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Shawne's probably not the worst draft pick we ever made, but when I think about the long list of quality point guards who were available, it still makes me sick.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

"I'm finally not getting into trouble and I'm not on the court. That's mind-boggling."

Not as mind-boggling as his disconnect to reality.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

6. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Aside from Rondo, there weren't that many PGs available. Marcus Williams, Lowry, Farmar, Serg. Rodriguez; none of those guys would've made a difference (maybe Farmar).

Sad to see what happened with Williams. I've never been more frustrated and disappointed with a player that has the physcial talent to be great. Still sounds clueless.

A waste of potential indeed, I hope he turns it around. Having all the physical gifts to play in the NBA does not make a player great. There is no substitution for hard work and desire to be great.
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

Good think Shawne get it now and has turned his career and life around. Ha, any guesses on his weight?

Two things caught my attention, one concerning Shawn Williams...:

The Mavs, much like the Pacers, quickly became disenchanted by Williams' lifestyle off the court.

Mavs security personnel and Dallas law enforcement began to warn the organization about Williams' personal behavior.

Williams downplayed his social life and insisted he was always ready to perform.

...the other concerning Jamaal Tinsley...:

"I just learned from it," Tinsley said. "The only thing I can tell Shawne is that when you get another opportunity just play hard and do what's asked. It's a business. There's always somebody else there to take your spot on the roster."
    The former seems to have suddenly become humbled once he realized his playing days would be put on hold. The latter seems humbled because he now realizes he has a second chance at such a rare opportunity.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "I'm finally not getting into trouble and I'm not on the court. That's mind-boggling."

Not as mind-boggling as his disconnect to reality.
    What a moron. Glad he's gone from the team.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't get this. He wasn't even impressive on the court. He must have been the champion at individual workouts, measurements, and H-O-R-S-E. Or something.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    I don't get this. He wasn't even impressive on the court. He must have been the champion at individual workouts, measurements, and H-O-R-S-E. Or something.

kid actually could ball......loads of talent... and we could use a finisher like that....... him and danny at the 3 & 4 heres to what could have been

The history of the NBA is full of guys like this. It's just now, with the mediots and their need to write something, that we hear about more and more of them. His story is nothing unique.

He is still very young. I see him maturing some and figuring out life, then actually having a good nba career.

I couldn't wait to get rid of Williams, and yet there was a "great many" on this board who was against him being shown the door. I viewed him as another problem waiting to happen. He was so wrapped up in his group of friends he couldn't see the forest for the trees. He had that famous word called "potential." At one time, Dallas had 2 young players with a lot of "P" in Williams and Gerald Green, and neither could do anything.

BTW, where is Green now? I've lost track of him.

Quote Originally Posted by sportfireman View Post
    kid actually could ball......loads of talent... and we could use a finisher like that....... him and danny at the 3 & 4 heres to what could have been
    So in a three minute clip, of which about 50 seconds were actully college highlights, we watched him finish a couple of alley-oops, finish a couple of fast breaks, give a couple high fives, so slo-mo replays of those finishes, and hit a couple spot-up jumpers.

What about the other 1,691 minutes of his career? A lot of standing around looking lost.

The kid had a few raw skills but had no clue on the court or off the court.

If that was supposed to impress me, it failed almost as bad as watching him try to play failed to impress me.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Totally disagree. He came in and was already more talented than Granger at the time. His 3 shot was quicker and smoother, he was far better going to the rim with his dribble, and was a bit better when asked to play the PF. He wasn't just a better athlete, he was a better basketball athlete.

At the time.

The separation since then has everything to do with his attitude and approach to the game. He's wasting it all and it's pathetic.

Awareness issues? No kidding. Because Danny was never lost either? Please. Danny had a horrible +/- at one point and that was the main reason why, not his actual talent. You get better as you learn...as long as you are trying to learn.

This is the quote I grabbed onto as well. That says it all. If people in the know are giving you WARNINGS, meaning it's bad enough that they think something is pending if it's not curbed, then you've got a player issue.

I defended Shawne back in Indy because early on we thought trouble had latched onto him and that he didn't want those guys around. Now it looks like his actually just one of those people, probably did know he was hanging with a murderer and letting him stay at his house, and so on.

Obviously oversleeping his court date was not the blip but rather par for course.

Bird bet on talent and the kid had it. Now Bird goes with guys like Rush, Roy and Tyler because of being burned by two of the most talented players in one draft that both had horrible attitudes (Shawne and White).

I don't blame Bird completely, he was learning about these things and appears to have adjusted correctly. I mostly blame those 2 players for blowing something that could have been great.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 12-05-2009 at 11:06 AM.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

I get the questioning of his talent even less. I don't even think it's debatable.

He was one of the most well-rounded offensive players on the team right out of the gate (at 20 no less).

All I ever saw was a jump shot.

Not impressed with his ballhandling. Court awareness. Off the ball movement. Passing. And that's just offense. Defensivley, he was even more lost.

Yes, he could jump and shoot.

That's why I said H-O-R-S-E.

He's never been "game ready".

I could argue that Ted St. Martin was more talented than Dale Davis, Shaq, and Ben Wallace combined, but that should result in a bunch of yawing and replies of "so what" because nobody would ever consider Ted St. Martin to be ready to play in the NBA. And Shawne Williams is much closer to Ted St. Martin than the NBA.

http://www.sharpshooterfreethrows.com/

All I ever saw was a jump shot.

Not impressed with his ballhandling. Court awareness. Off the ball movement. Passing. And that's just offense. Defensivley, he was even more lost.

Yes, he could jump and shoot.

That's why I said H-O-R-S-E.

He's never been "game ready".

I could argue that Ted St. Martin was more talented than Dale Davis, Shaq, and Ben Wallace combined, but that should result in a bunch of yawing and replies of "so what" because nobody would ever consider Ted St. Martin to be ready to play in the NBA. And Shawne Williams is much closer to Ted St. Martin than the NBA.

http://www.sharpshooterfreethrows.com/
    Well, I can't convince you if you didn't see it. My DVR wasn't big enough to keep '07-'08 for a video review (though looking back on it, I'd probably prefer those games to any of the games I've kept this season).

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Where there's smoke, there's fire.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=34197

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    The history of the NBA is full of guys like this. It's just now, with the mediots and their need to write something, that we hear about more and more of them. His story is nothing unique.
    Danville, IL's own:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keon_Clark
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!