Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 41 of 41

Thread: Strong Comments on Rush/O'Brien

  1. #26
    Gold Stagger Hoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood
    Posts
    4,523
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Strong Comments on Rush/O'Brien

    Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    lol, at that!!

    My man I think we have a better chance of falling in love with the same woman. I have come to realize OB is all politician, says whatever we want to hear
    I've called JOB "slimy car salesman like" since his first month here, but politician works too.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:


  3. #27

    Default Re: Strong Comments on Rush/O'Brien

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is why PRIOR to the draft I warned everyone that Brandon was McKey at shooting guard, passive to a fault at times. He likes to play a thinking man's, role player game. I like that about him actually.

    What I don't like is JOB's system for him and the refusal to use him in a way that fits his talent. He's a go-between glue type, a make up the difference on a play guy. He's not your main player and usually doesn't want to be.

    This is why he looks best when playing off of the more dominating Dahntay and Granger. If he had a coach that ran more tradition half-court plays and a PG willing to work that system (getting minutes that is), he'd be a great fit.
    Persuasive argument, Seth -- and one that makes me feel better about him. Thanks!

    Maybe we should start calling him "Elmer" (glue, not Fudd). Or does T-wil already have that nickname for you?

  4. #28
    Member odeez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    3,776

    Default Re: Strong Comments on Rush/O'Brien

    It's so frustrating to watch Rush play. You look at the shots he gets, and wonder why he is not hitting them when is wide open a lot of the times. It's always a bit shaky when he puts it on the floor, and he simply doesn't finish at the rim. His defense is probably the best part of his game right now. He has all the physical tools to be a great 2 guard in the NBA. But mentally he just doesn't seem to be able to pull together, and gather the confidence to make it happen. I want so badly to see him knock down some of those jumpers he gets, I mean he is wide open a lot of the times, teams must be slacking off and not respecting his shot - for good reason.

    I hope he proves us all wrong and turns it around!
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

  5. #29
    You are my Lucifer D-BONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nirvana
    Posts
    6,834

    Default Re: Strong Comments on Rush/O'Brien

    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Brandon would be much better if the coach didn't force him to shoot. He might just be a Derrick McKey, Bruce Bowen, Doug Christie player instead of a Paul Pierce/Ron Artest type of player.

    If he was allowed to just go out there and focus on defense and rebounding, I think he would be more effective.
    JOB, just send him out there with the assignment to concentrate on trying to lock down whoever he's guarding, go to the glass, and get an occasional garbage hoop. Then see if some offensive spark follows. If not, at least we get an above average defensive and rebounding option out of the deal, which would be still be great for a fourth option on offense.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

    -Emiliano Zapata

  6. #30
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,607

    Default Re: Strong Comments on Rush/O'Brien

    Quote Originally Posted by odeez View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's so frustrating to watch Rush play. You look at the shots he gets, and wonder why he is not hitting them when is wide open a lot of the times. It's always a bit shaky when he puts it on the floor, and he simply doesn't finish at the rim. His defense is probably the best part of his game right now. He has all the physical tools to be a great 2 guard in the NBA. But mentally he just doesn't seem to be able to pull together, and gather the confidence to make it happen. I want so badly to see him knock down some of those jumpers he gets, I mean he is wide open a lot of the times, teams must be slacking off and not respecting his shot - for good reason.

    I hope he proves us all wrong and turns it around!
    Exactly
    Sittin on top of the world!

  7. #31
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,419

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Strong Comments on Rush/O'Brien

    I see a lot of people saying they wish he put the ball on the floor more. I don't know if that's wise...

    He's got a solid all-around game. I think his one weakness is his ball handling. This might sound funny... but he plays a lot like I do, lol.... Of course, I'm talking relatively compared to the competition, lol.... He's playing against NBA players, and I'm playing pickup ball at local gyms against local scrubs.

    I'm average-sized, usually play guard/SF positions, play nice D on the perimeter, hit a ton of 3's, and get a lot of rebounds and put-backs for my position, with the occasional nice pass thrown in here and there. I suck handling the ball. I suck being asked to create offense for the team. I'm not comfortable the further in the paint I get unless I'm almost wide open under the rim. I feel like I relate to him. He just needs to stick to what he knows and does best and get that confidence up.

    I think honestly his best situation is where he's working within the offense and coming off screens for clean catch-and-shoots, getting set in his shot, etc... I don't know if he'll ever be a penetrating ball dominator or someone who's gonna hit a lot of ultra-contested shots like Reggie could pull off. Let him shoot lights out from outside, run some plays for him, rub off some defenders let him shoot, get that defense stretched out. His 3-ball is beautiful.. just needs to get that confidence up, hit it more. I've never watched the guy practice, but I got a hunch he's automatic from the perimeter when no one's looking. Needs to translate that to when there *are* people looking.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 12-02-2009 at 08:54 PM.

  8. #32
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Strong Comments on Rush/O'Brien

    Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    they can't give up 113, 123 and 126 and expect to beat anybody. Their D has gone in the tank.
    Weird that our defense has gotten so atrocious when a few games before it was so strong. What could possibly cause the difference? It's not like there's a personnel difference between the games.

    Wait, what's that you say? Our defensive prowess (and win streak) coincided with Murph on the bench? How odd.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:


  10. #33
    Member IndyProdigy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    354

    Default Re: Strong Comments on Rush/O'Brien

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Weird that our defense has gotten so atrocious when a few games before it was so strong. What could possibly cause the difference? It's not like there's a personnel difference between the games.

    Wait, what's that you say? Our defensive prowess (and win streak) coincided with Murph on the bench? How odd.
    is there a way i can thank this post like a THOUSAND times.

    post of the year nomination.
    "To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine

  11. #34
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,607

    Default Re: Strong Comments on Rush/O'Brien

    Lee Russakoff wrote a great column about Rush after Kansas won the '08 NCAA championship that I think epitomized what's wrong with this kid:

    "Rush did a lot of things for Kansas, but you could fit his heart on a pinhead.

    Watching Rush shortarm 3s in a tight Davidson game, and then again when UNC was mounting a comeback tells you everything about Rush’s prospects at the next level. He has none. Don’t draft him."


    Unfortunately, the Pacers didn't get the memo.

    WOW
    Sittin on top of the world!

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:


  13. #35
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,103

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Strong Comments on Rush/O'Brien

    Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lee Russakoff wrote a great column about Rush after Kansas won the '08 NCAA championship that I think epitomized what's wrong with this kid:

    "Rush did a lot of things for Kansas, but you could fit his heart on a pinhead.

    Watching Rush shortarm 3s in a tight Davidson game, and then again when UNC was mounting a comeback tells you everything about Rush’s prospects at the next level. He has none. Don’t draft him."


    Unfortunately, the Pacers didn't get the memo.

    WOW
    That was always the thing about him. He has the tools and the talent, you just get the impression he doesn't care. It was like that his entire time at Kansas, and thus far, the NBA.

    I said this in another thread somewhere, but even if Rush doesn't live up to his potential, he can still be a useful player. If I was Obie, I'd tell Rush to focus on defense, rebounding, and spot shooting. That's it. People have made solid careers out of less.

  14. #36
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Strong Comments on Rush/O'Brien

    Keep him around as an affordable bench player if he never discovers passion. Even while he's stuck in Tin Woodsman mode, he still plays very good defense.

    Anytime you can have someone like that off the bench who can randomly drop 15+ points, that's worth keeping in reserve.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  16. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brown County, Indiana
    Posts
    3,730

    Default Re: Strong Comments on Rush/O'Brien

    Quote Originally Posted by HanSolo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ... he's going away from the versatility of his game and settling for 3s and jumpshots...and unfortunately is not hitting.
    You could say the very same thing about Granger. Could it be contagious?

  17. #38

    Default Re: Strong Comments on Rush/O'Brien

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That was always the thing about him. He has the tools and the talent, you just get the impression he doesn't care. It was like that his entire time at Kansas, and thus far, the NBA.

    I said this in another thread somewhere, but even if Rush doesn't live up to his potential, he can still be a useful player. If I was Obie, I'd tell Rush to focus on defense, rebounding, and spot shooting. That's it. People have made solid careers out of less.

    Yep, just ask Jeff Foster! That's not a knock on Foster, just the truth. He's done well for years being the energizer bunny rebounder. Found his niche and made a career out of it. Congrats to Foster.

  18. #39
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,607

    Default Re: Strong Comments on Rush/O'Brien Update on OB

    http://www.hoopsworld.com/Chat.asp?CHAT_TOPICS_ID=637

    Eric P in Naptown:

    What up Travis? Im dying man, my Pacer front office thinks the fans are ignorant! They dont need "time to get healthy" they flat out suck. No energy , Granger looks pissed. Please tell me OB is gone?

    Travis Heath:

    It's certainly been a rough go for the Pacers of late. However, at 6-10 all is not yet lost. With a guy like Granger I think they can stay in the hunt for the final playoff spot. Dahntay Jones has been a bright spot, but certainly the regression of Roy Hibbert has been disconcerting to watch. I don't think O'Brien is a goner quite yet. My gut says he makes it through the season barring a major, prolonged losing streak.
    Sittin on top of the world!

  19. #40
    Member IndyProdigy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    354

    Default Re: Strong Comments on Rush/O'Brien Update on OB

    Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://www.hoopsworld.com/Chat.asp?CHAT_TOPICS_ID=637

    Eric P in Naptown:

    What up Travis? Im dying man, my Pacer front office thinks the fans are ignorant! They dont need "time to get healthy" they flat out suck. No energy , Granger looks pissed. Please tell me OB is gone?

    Travis Heath:

    It's certainly been a rough go for the Pacers of late. However, at 6-10 all is not yet lost. With a guy like Granger I think they can stay in the hunt for the final playoff spot. Dahntay Jones has been a bright spot, but certainly the regression of Roy Hibbert has been disconcerting to watch. I don't think O'Brien is a goner quite yet. My gut says he makes it through the season barring a major, prolonged losing streak.
    part of me wants to have a prolonged losing streak...
    "To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine

  20. #41
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    8,981

    Default Re: Strong Comments on Rush/O'Brien

    Well... it's really allready a major, prolonged losing streak we are having now... I wonder how major does he mean? 12? 15? 20?
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Similar Threads

  1. Counting: It's Fun.
    By N8R in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 66943
    Last Post: 07-23-2010, 10:59 AM
  2. Mike Brown fined 25K for comments
    By Basketball Fan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-13-2009, 04:45 PM
  3. Clyde Drexler reprimanded for his comments during Bulls/Rock
    By Basketball Fan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 02-09-2009, 11:44 AM
  4. I like these comments made by Bird and Herb Simon.
    By Will Galen in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-17-2008, 09:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •