Thread: Dwight Howard blocks out his baby mama

Default Dwight Howard blocks out his baby mama

Dwight Howard Blocks Out His Baby Mama

Posted Dec 1st 2009 12:35AM by TMZ Staff

Dwight HowardYou'll never hear a negative word said about Dwight Howard by his baby mama ... because according to a judge, she's not even allowed to speak his name.

According to documents filed in Florida, the Orlando Magic superstar went to war in October with Royce Lyndsay Reed -- the mother of his 2-year-old son -- after she allegedly called him a deadbeat dad on her blog, Twitter and even during an ESPN interview.

Dwight also alleges Royce "is attempting to become a celebrity" from being his baby mama ... even agreeing to "participate in a VH1 television show called 'NBA Wives.'"

Dwight ended up winning a permanent injunction against Royce -- and according to the documents, she's banned from "using or publishing (orally, in writing, or otherwise), directly, indirectly or by innuendo, [Dwight's] name, nicknames, image, brand photographs, and/or likeness."

That finely manicured line of lawyerspeak makes it damn near impossible for Royce to appear on "Wives" ... unless she calls herself the baby mama of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named.

Yeah, that was a Harry Potter reference. What?
    Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2009/12/01/dwight...#ixzz0YUZ3613s

Default Re: Dwight Howard blocks out his baby mama

I can't believe you're allowed to ban someone from "using or publishing" someone's name orally. I thought there was an ammendment about that sort of thing somewhere.....
    That'll do.

I gather she is recieving some monies for this...

Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...

There are certain rights of publicity law and defamation that may come into play here...but I think it's well within her rights to claim to be the mother of Dwight Howard's baby. Just as long as it's the truth. I think she just had a bad attorney.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pig norton View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can't believe you're allowed to ban someone from "using or publishing" someone's name orally. I thought there was an ammendment about that sort of thing somewhere.....
    They're talking about "commercial use" of his name ... for profit.

That is not a protected cateogry of speach.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by pig norton View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Freedom of speech be damned, huh? But, we are talking about a woman who appears to be trying to slander the father of her child while also living off his name. So...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sport...,7610306.story

Dwight Howard's attorneys file civil-contempt motion against Royce Reed

Royce Reed

Dwight Howard's attorneys allege that Royce Reed (above) repeatedly has violated an injunction that forbids her from making disparaging remarks about Howard. Her attorney disagrees. Reed is a former Magic dancer and the mother of Howard's son, Braylon. (Stephen M. Dowell, Orlando Sentinel / March 15, 2009)
    Click here to find out more!

* Related
    The Royce Reed-Wendy Williams video that led to the lawsuit
    Rick Reilly disses Dwight Howard with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar reference Rick Reilly disses Dwight Howard with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar reference
    2009-10 Magic report card: Vince Carter gets a ... 2009-10 Magic report card: Vince Carter gets a ...
    * PhotosPhotos
    Pictures: 2009-10 Orlando Magic fans Pictures: 2009-10 Orlando Magic fans
    Magic sweep Hawks in round 2 Magic sweep Hawks in round 2
    Send us your photos Orlando Magic fans Send us your photos Orlando Magic fans
    * See more photos
    o
    X
    Magic sweep Bobcats in opening round Magic sweep Bobcats in opening round
    Magic Dancers through the years Magic Dancers through the years
    Pictures: Fans at Orlando Magic watch parties Pictures: Fans at Orlando Magic watch parties
    Portraits of Orlando Magic fans at Amway Arena Portraits of Orlando Magic fans at Amway Arena
    PICTURES: Cushy digs at the new Amway Center PICTURES: Cushy digs at the new Amway Center
    Pictures: Magic fans and cheerleaders from the NBA Finals in Orlando Pictures: Magic fans and cheerleaders from the NBA Finals in Orlando
    Photos: Dwight Howard Photos: Dwight Howard
    PICTURES: Dwight Howard's high school
    Photos: Vince Carter in Orlando Photos: Vince Carter in Orlando
    Photos: Jason Williams Photos: Jason Williams
    Photos: Rashard Lewis Photos: Rashard Lewis
    Photos: Jameer Nelson Photos: Jameer Nelson
    Pictures: J.J. Redick Pictures: J.J. Redick
    Photos: Matt Barnes Photos: Matt Barnes
    Photos: Brandon Bass is introduced as the newest Magic Photos: Brandon Bass is introduced as the newest Magic
    Photos: Marcin Gortat Photos: Marcin Gortat
    * VideoVideo
    Orlando Magic
    * StoriesStories
    Barack Obama on CNN's Larry King: LeBron James in Cleveland "a wonderful thing" Barack Obama on CNN's Larry King: LeBron James in Cleveland "a wonderful thing"
    2009-10 Magic report card: Jameer Nelson gets a ... 2009-10 Magic report card: Jameer Nelson gets a ...
    Doc Rivers motivates Celtics by hiding $2,600 in Lakers locker room
    * See more stories
    o
    X
    NBA ref who threw ball at fan during Magic-Celtics series gets NBA Finals assignment
    Bianchi: Dwight Howard wrongly picks Celtics over Kobe, Lakers in NBA Finals
    Vote: Should Dwight Howard play in the World Championships?
    Buy Orlando Magic playoff front pages of the Orlando Sentinel
    Find, buy Orlando Magic tickets
    Buy Magic gear in the Sentinel fan shop
    NEW BLOG: Magic fans take over on Magic Fanatics
    Read the Magic Basketblog
    The latest Orlando Magic box score
    * Topics
    Corporate Crime
    Twitter, Inc.
    Contracts
    * See more topics
    o
    X
    VH1
    Orlando Magic
    Dwight Howard
    Breach of Contract
    Miami Heat
    Television Industry
    Basketball

By Josh Robbins Orlando Sentinel

7:40 p.m. EDT, June 3, 2010

* EmailE-mail
    * printPrint
    * increase text size decrease text size Text Size

os-dwight-howard-royce-reed-magic-20100603

Attorneys for Orlando Magic all-star Dwight Howard have asked a judge to hold Royce Reed, the mother of Howard's 2-year-old son, in civil contempt and fine her $500,000.

The attorneys allege that Reed repeatedly has violated an injunction that forbids her from making disparaging remarks about Howard, discussing Howard's relationship with their son or in any way using Howard's name, image or likeness in any medium that can be accessed by a third party.

In a motion filed in Orange County Circuit Court, Howard's legal team claims that Reed posted Twitter messages that portrayed Howard as a liar and as an uncaring father. They also note that Reed, a star of the VH1 reality show Basketball Wives, recently appeared on The Wendy Williams Show and answered questions about Howard.

Alan B. Taylor, Reed's attorney, told the Orlando Sentinel on Thursday that his client's tweets and statements "don't come anywhere near any breach of contract or agreement."

"Obviously, you've got a huge dispartity in terms of earnings and income and assets," Taylor said. "That's a concern I have here because my client is in no position, like in any case, to go toe-to-toe financially in litigation with the plaintiff. Certainly, anybody can understand that nobody likes to be talked about derogatorily. Certainly, I understand that issue. But I think it's kind of way overboard, kind of disproportionate. After all, she's the mother of his child."

A hearing has been set for June 11 before Circuit Judge Frederick J. Lauten.

The motion for civil contempt is the latest chapter in the ongoing legal disputes between Howard and Reed, a former dancer for the Magic and the Miami Heat.

Howard's attorneys now have asked the judge to issue a civil-contempt fine against Reed for $500,000, though they stress the fine could be lifted entirely if she complies with the injunction in the future.

"When all is said and done, it is our full and complete expectation that Royce Reed will be required to comply with the terms of the court-ordered injunction," C. Anthony Mulrain, Howard's lead attorney, told the Sentinel.