Hybrid View

Default Indy Star Reports Sign and trade: Jackson on way

http://www.indystar.com/articles/3/161604-1583-179.html

Sign and trade: Jackson on way
    Pacers deal Harrington to Hawks

By Mark Montieth
    mark.montieth@indystar.com
    July 11, 2004

The Indiana Pacers are close to a sign-and-trade agreement with Atlanta that would send Al Harrington to the Hawks for Stephen Jackson.

The deal cannot become official until Wednesday, but Jackson and other league sources confirmed Saturday it is in the works.

"We're close and hopefully it will be done soon," Jackson told The Star on Saturday from his home in Port Arthur, Texas. "I'm definitely hoping it works out."

Jackson reportedly will sign a six-year contract worth $44 million with Atlanta and then be traded to the Pacers for Harrington, who has two years and $13.3 million left on his contract.

For the Pacers, the trade would alleviate an overcrowded situation at forward and add perimeter scoring and versatility.

Jackson, 26, averaged 18.1 points for the Hawks last season, his fourth in the NBA. He was a starting shooting guard on San Antonio's championship team two years ago, and averaged 12.8 points in the playoffs.

Harrington, 24, averaged 13.3 points in the regular season and 9.5 in the playoffs for the Pacers last season. He was runner-up to Dallas' Antawn Jamison for Sixth Man of the Year, but his desire to start led him to ask for a trade.

Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh declined to comment on the trade until it becomes official.

"We've had discussions," Walsh said. "I'm not going to confirm or deny a deal."

Harrington was unavailable for comment, as were his agent, Andy Miller, and Jackson's agent, Dan Fegan. Jackson, however, is already envisioning how he'll fit in with the Pacers next season.

"I see myself coming in with a championship under my belt and bringing some attitude and passion for the game," he said.

The acquisition of Jackson will fuel speculation that he will replace Reggie Miller at starting shooting guard. Jackson said he is willing to play as a reserve.

"I'll leave it up to the coaches," he said. "I'm coming in wanting to learn from Reggie. I have nothing but respect for Reggie. If I come in off the bench behind Reggie I'll be happy."

The 6-8 Jackson listed the Pacers, San Antonio and Atlanta as his preferences after negotiations for free agents opened July 1. San Antonio, however, took itself out of the running by agreeing to terms with Manu Ginobili and Brent Barry.

Jackson met with Pacers officials in September when he was a free agent, but they did not want to risk paying the luxury tax at the time. He was paid $1 million by the Hawks last season.

The Pacers' chances of working a deal for Jackson were enhanced last week when the Hawks hired Mike Woodson as their coach instead of Pacers associate head coach Mike Brown. Brown worked with Jackson for two seasons in San Antonio, and the two have remained close.

"I learned more about basketball, about being a teammate on and off the court, from coach Brown," Jackson said.

He also is comfortable with Pacers coach Rick Carlisle.

"We have a great relationship," Jackson said. "That's another blessing."

Stephen Jackson file
    Size: 6-8, 218
    NBA career: Has played four seasons, one in New Jersey, two in San Antonio and one in Atlanta. Averaged career-high 18.1 for Hawks last season.
    Previously: Attended Butler County (Kansas) Community College, but did not play basketball. Second-round draft pick of Phoenix in 1997, but was waived by Suns. Played for LaCrosse and Fort Wayne in CBA and in Venezuela. Signed by Vancouver Grizzlies in 1999, but was waived before the season. Signed by New Jersey in 2000 and averaged 8.2 points. Signed by San Antonio in 2001 and started on championship team in 2003, averaging 11.8 points.

[edit=91=1089534793][/edit]

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Indy Star Reports Pacers close to deal for Jackson.

J-Wont

You're about 7 hours too late.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

ur avatar scares me

Quote Originally Posted by J-Wont
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're about 7 hours too late.
    The Star is not wont to jump on rumors like ESPN does. Thus it's a better source and more reliable. People like reliable sources.
    [edit=91=1089523479][/edit]

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

To be truthful, I heard it on ESPN, then I checked the IndyStar and they too had already reported it.

Interestingly the Pacers are likely to save money in this proposed trade.

Taking the published figures for Jackson's contract of $44m, his salary should be close to this.

[1] $5,500,000
    [2] $6,187,500
    [3] $6,875,000
    [4] $7,562,000
    [5] $8,250,000
    [6] $8,937,500
    Total $43,312,500

I could work it out closer, but knowing that people round figures off, and usually upward, this might be the actual offer. Whatever, the figures will be close.

Harrington is due to make this amount in the remaining two years of his contract.
    [1] $6,250,000
    [2] $6,875,000

Thus we see the Pacer's actually saving a bit of money in the trade. They would save $750,000, the first year and $687,500 the second year. Al if he stayed with the Pacers would probably have signed an extension, which would over the same amount of time as Jackson's contract would look thus,

[3] $7,734,375
    [4] $8,593,750
    [5] $9,453,125
    [6] $10,312,500
    Total $49,219,375

If my figures are correct or even close the Pacer's could save almost $6 million dollars over the life of Jackson's contract.

That sounds like Donnie!

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Will

Taking the published figures for Jackson's contract of $44m, his salary should be close to this.

[1] $5,500,000
    [2] $6,187,500
    [3] $6,875,000
    [4] $7,562,000
    [5] $8,250,000
    [6] $8,937,500
    Total $43,312,500

I could work it out closer, but knowing that people round figures off, and usually upward, this might be the actual offer. Whatever, the figures will be close.

Harrington is due to make this amount in the remaining two years of his contract.
    [1] $6,250,000
    [2] $6,875,000

Thus we see the Pacer's actually saving a bit of money in the trade. They would save $750,000, the first year and $687,500 the second year. Al if he stayed with the Pacers would probably have signed an extension, which would over the same amount of time as Jackson's contract would look thus,

[3] $7,734,375
    [4] $8,593,750
    [5] $9,453,125
    [6] $10,312,500
    Total $49,219,375

If my figures are correct or even close the Pacer's could save almost $6 million dollars over the life of Jackson's contract.

That sounds like Donnie!
    Exactly , Well Done Will

Default Re: Indy Star Reports Sign and trade: Jackson on way

I was looking at the Atlanta paper to see what they had to say about about the Harrington-Jackson deal and come across this tidbit.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp.../08search.html

Said Atlanta Hawk part-owner Michael Gearon Jr.: "I was talking with [Indiana Pacers CEO] Donnie Walsh at an NBA board of governors meeting, and he told me, 'Anything I ever do with the Pacers, [owner] Herb Simon automatically challenges me on it. He raises good questions to make sure I have conviction.' I like to think we are doing the same thing."
    -----

Interesting to know the Simons are that involved! Some have thought Donnie does pretty much as he pleases.

I was looking at the Atlanta paper to see what they had to say about about the Harrington-Jackson deal and come across this tidbit.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp.../08search.html

Said Atlanta Hawk part-owner Michael Gearon Jr.: "I was talking with [Indiana Pacers CEO] Donnie Walsh at an NBA board of governors meeting, and he told me, 'Anything I ever do with the Pacers, [owner] Herb Simon automatically challenges me on it. He raises good questions to make sure I have conviction.' I like to think we are doing the same thing."
    -----

Interesting to know the Simons are that involved! Some have thought Donnie does pretty much as he pleases.
    I'd like to hear Peck's take on that.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy

I'd like to hear Peck's take on that.
    I thought of Peck when I read that also.

[1] $5,500,000
    [2] $6,187,500
    [3] $6,875,000
    [4] $7,562,000
    [5] $8,250,000
    [6] $8,937,500
    Total $43,312,500

[1] $6,250,000
    [2] $6,875,000

[3] $7,734,375
    [4] $8,593,750
    [5] $9,453,125
    [6] $10,312,500
    Total $49,219,375

That sounds like Donnie!

Very nice! And it isn't as big as Cro's contract either.

Also, this was interesting:

The acquisition of Jackson will fuel speculation that he will replace Reggie Miller at starting shooting guard. Jackson said he is willing to play as a reserve.

"I'll leave it up to the coaches," he said. "I'm coming in wanting to learn from Reggie. I have nothing but respect for Reggie. If I come in off the bench behind Reggie I'll be happy."

Sounds like Reggie will be starting.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Pooh

I think it was a good trade, Jax isn't a fraid to take the shot when needed. Also, his intensity (when focused) can be a great asset to the Pacers. Lets just hope he leaves his ego at the door.

sweabs

Although I hope it doesn't happen, it's great to hear Jackson say he won't mind being a reserve behind Reggie.