Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ESPN radio reporting the Pistons will sign Antonio McDyess to replace Okur.....

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default ESPN radio reporting the Pistons will sign Antonio McDyess to replace Okur.....

......via David Aldrege's report. The Pistons are also close to re-signing Rasheed Wallace.

The reported McDyess contract is 5 years, $30 million.

Hey, if the Pistons doctors say he is back to full health, I'll take their word.

McDyess's talent and desire has NEVER been a question. Its always been his health.

IMO its abig risk/reward signing.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Default Re: ESPN radio reporting the Pistons will sign Antonio McDyess to replace Okur.....

Didn't the Pistons doctors say Grant Hill was ok to play years ago???

That didn't turn out so good for Grant.

Why are the Pistons signing him to 5 years?

He'll just get injured again. Replacing Okur wouldn't have to be this pricey, Okur never played anyway.

Default Re: ESPN radio reporting the Pistons will sign Antonio McDyess to replace Okur.....

It's a good signing. If can come back to half of what he was he'll be a steal and better than Okur.

While I don't want the Pistons to get better it's hard to root against McDyess
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Pacers replace their third-best player with Stephen Jackson, Pistons replace an 8th man with Antonio McDyess. DW just can't keep up with Joe D.

IndyToad
    Look at his adorable little feet

Quote Originally Posted by rommie
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

He'll just get injured again. Replacing Okur wouldn't have to be this pricey, Okur never played anyway.

Actually, our doctors didnt. The Pistons have the best training/medical staff in the NBA. ORLANDO's doctors did give the ok, and their doctors are retards. Grant tried to hire out team physican to go with him to orlando, but he declined. Had he gone with him, i think grants rehab would have gone so much better.

BTW, Antonio McDyess could be either the biggest bargain or the biggest bust in Free AGency this year. He's WAY more talented than his contract, but thats only if he keeps his *** out of crutches.

By replacing Okur, I mean that Dyce will be our 3rd big man to team with WallaceX2.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    Quote Originally Posted by rommie

Actually, our doctors didnt. The Pistons have the best training/medical staff in the NBA. ORLANDO's doctors did give the ok, and their doctors are retards. Grant tried to hire out team physican to go with him to orlando, but he declined. Had he gone with him, i think grants rehab would have gone so much better.

BTW, Antonio McDyess could be either the biggest bargain or the biggest bust in Free AGency this year. He's WAY more talented than his contract, but thats only if he keeps his *** out of crutches.

By replacing Okur, I mean that Dyce will be our 3rd big man to team with WallaceX2.
    I see.

I hope it works out well.

But I thought that in the playoffs, years ago, that the Pistons doctors okayed Grant Hill to play??? Doesn't matter that much though.

I got no real comments on the McDyess thing, alright signing I guess. But..

[quote user=Kstat uid=64 fid=1 tid= rid=4]The Pistons have the best training/medical staff in the NBA. [/quote]

.. Is there anything the Pistons don't have the best of in your eyes? Truley the greatest franchise in the history of the NBA..

Quote Originally Posted by zxc
    I got no real comments on the McDyess thing, alright signing I guess. But..

[quote user=Kstat uid=64 fid=1 tid= rid=4]The Pistons have the best training/medical staff in the NBA.
    .. Is there anything the Pistons don't have the best of in your eyes? Truley the greatest franchise in the history of the NBA..[/quote]

So why is it the pistons never (knock on wood) have serious injuries? I mean NEVER. There have been countless people that have come away from the orgainization healthier than they have been in year because the Pistons staff notices physical issues that others dont.

And no, we arent the greatest franchise in history......just in 1989, 1990, and oh, 2004 too

The main problem I see with McDyess is that his game was dependent almost exclusively on his explosiveness. He never had a great jumper or post moves but what made him a terrific player was his quickness, getting out in transition and his great explosiveness under the basket beating slower big men. That was a serious knee injury and I don't think he will ever be close to the same player he used to be. That would be a long term deal I would avoid.

J-Wont

Actually Pacers trainer David Craig is considered the best in the biz. I'm sure Detroit is a distant 2nd though.

J-Wont

Actually Pacers trainer David Craig is considered the best in the biz. I'm sure Detroit is a distant 2nd though.

After watching Theo Ratliff spring back from basically the same thing, Im a little more encouraged. Ratliff was injured forever, and he still has that same spring he used to. He had the same injury rep 2 years ago Dyce has now.

And its not his athletic ability that intrests me most, its his strength and attitude. The Man punishes people as the rim, he bangs inside and gets to the line.

His jumper, while not really great, isnt broke either. He has range to about 14 feet.

Yeah, I could be wrong. But I think there's also reason to beleive Im right.
    [edit=64=1089518911][/edit]

I thought Ratliff had wrist and hip injuries or something not knee.

Kstat, I was thinking of Theo as well. But they had two different injuries. Theo broke his wrist when the 76ers traded him and in Atlanta he had a freaky muscle tear in the hip area that was difficult for the doctors to diagnose.

McDyess had a blown out knee and when he returned to the Knicks he broke his kneecap in the same knee. That is painful just mentioning it. I would compare him to Jerry Rice who blew out his knee and the 1st game back he played on Monday night he broke his kneecap in the same knee just like McDyess. Rice has returned and had good seasons but hes never had the same explosiveness hes been able to use his great hands and running patterns to perfection to remain a good receiver. McDyess will have to make the same type of transition to depend less on his athleticism. If he can make that transition then maybe he can be effective again just in a different role like you mentioned as a banger etc.,, off the bench. So time will tell but I hope McDyess can come back because he is a good guy and it was sad what happened to him.

J-Wont

And its not his athletic ability that intrests me most, its his strength and attitude. The Man punishes people as the rim, he bangs inside and gets to the line.
    His jumper, while not really great, isnt broke either. He has range to about 14 feet.
    Yeah, I could be wrong. But I think there's also reason to beleive Im right.
    6.9 6.1 0.6
    $30,000,000. 5 years.

The deal is actually for 4 years and 23 million, with the 5th year coming ONLY if McDyess stays healthy.

sweabs

Hey, if KStat is happy with a McDyess signing so be it!

However, I don't know if I would be...he will never be the same McDyess. He is a lot slower, older, and injury-prone. Good luck!

You should try posting this on a PISTONS board, where someone cares.

The deal is actually for 4 years and 23 million, with the 5th year coming ONLY if McDyess stays healthy.
    Thats better.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddies
    You should try showing some respect for other on this board, son.

And Im not going anywhere, so get used to me

Quote Originally Posted by rscarey
    Hey, if KStat is happy with a McDyess signing so be it!

However, I don't know if I would be...he will never be the same McDyess. He is a lot slower, older, and injury-prone. Good luck!
    Well, he's the same age (29) as Ben and Rasheed. Not really OLD.

As far as how he is physically, none of us really know yet. Last year he was shaking off 3 years of rust and you could just see it. How much his last injury has affected his game, we wont know till preseason.

You have to at least assume the Pistons worked him out before they signed him. I'll take their word for now.
    [edit=64=1089523807][/edit]

Quote Originally Posted by Freddies
    Yeah, next time Kstat replace this thread about something actually happening in the NBA with one or a hundred threads dreaming of how to trade half the Pacers roster for any superstar not already on the Pacer roster.

This could be another Corliss Williamson signing. McD will be making pretty close to what Billups, Ben Wallace, and Rip make. The Pistons have the money now and it does fill the whole if Mc D pans out. Such a long contract could hamstring them down the line but with so many of their starters locked up for a good while it won't break the franchise even if Mc D fails. I suppose I would rather the Pistons have taken this risk then signed a player of lesser ability and hoped that he could fill the whole enough.

Oh, and arguing about which teams trainers are better is the silliest thing ever. I am sure each team's trainers have people that praise them as the best in the league (except perhaps for L.A. and Orlando who both have recently been criticized for miss-diagnosing key player injuries).

I love it when the newbies get mad at Kstat for the first time.

So, here's my question, WHAT ABOUT DARKO???
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Yeah, if this doesn't say the Pistons know Darko isn't going to do anything....

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    Yeah, if this doesn't say the Pistons know Darko isn't going to do anything....
    .......yeah, that we dont have enough confidence in a 19-year old being our first big off the bench means weve given up on him....

Darko will probably get the spot minutes that Bender got this year.