Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expectations For Bender?

J-Wont

Default Expectations For Bender?

What's everyone expectations for Jonathan Bender?
    Do you expect him to get the same amount of minutes Al got last year? And if so, how do you expect his production to compare to Al's?
    Do you think he can stay healthy for the full year?
    What would it take for you to consider Bender as having a breakout year?
    Please discuss and post stat predictions if you want.
    [edit=420=1089521240][/edit]

Default Re: Expectations For Bender?

If Bender can stay healthy all year I think he can have a breakout year. He will have his chance this year to prove himself this season. I expect JB to average 12-15 ppg this season.

J-Wont

Hmm...this is tough...I'm trying to figure out Benders scoring and rest of the teams scoring but its going way too high.
    O'Neal - 20
    Artest - 18
    Jackson - 15
    Bender - 12
    Reggie - 8
    Fred Jones - 7
    Foster - 6
    Rest - 9
    total - 95 ppg

Bender - 27 mpg, 12 ppg, 5 rpg, 2 apg, 2 bpg
    He'll be our 6th man and will put up numbers very similar to Al.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Bender is already the Pacers most explosive offensive player. For awhile he averaged a point per minute. But he is very inconsistant and Its hard to predict when he is going to show up. Somedays he is brilliant, other days he looks lost. I also get very annoyed with how easily Bender manages to get injured. If he doesn't cut it, we can always fall back on Croshere and James Jones to produce.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Dear RC,

please teach Freddie to play the point. I would be happy beyond my wildest dreams if our lineup next year was

Foster/Harrison
    JO/Croshere
    Artest/Bender
    Jackson/Reggie
    Tinsley/Freddie

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I expect that Bender will beat out Stephen Jackson for a starting spot, possibly moving Artest to the backcourt.

Then he'll get hurt, as always.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Bender will have a breakout year!!!
    Y'all are gonna see it this year!" 25 ppg 15 rpg 5 bpg ALL STAR BABY!!!

.... Honestly, I think if healthy, he can be our sixth man, providing an offensive spark off the bench, kinda like Al, but with more drives to the rim and fewer fadeaways. 10-15 points, 4-6 boards, a couple blocks.
    Official Member of the Anti-Alliteration Association

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Bender could possibly be better than Harrington. I know alot of analysts love to draw comparisons to Tracy McGrady. Saying Bender is a taller more athletic version. He is also a more inconsistant, injury prown, version. I guess Walsh/Bird/Carlisle see something in him. So I'd love to see him break out next season.

I have no expectations for Bender this year - ZERO, NADA! In fact, I think Harrison will have more impact this year than Bender.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

bender will have sky high expectations, as always.

the difference this year is that he will have a definite role to fill - harrington's former 6th man role. i believe that he will get first shot at it, with cro as the backup plan.

these expectations are a crapshoot but i will give it a shot.
    i see him playing about 26 min. a game
    i see him scoring about 10-12 a game
    i see him average about .74 assists per game (there's the breakout over the .4 in seasons past )

he gets about 5 rebs per game this upcoming year
    add a couple of blocks too.
    then i see him go up for a block in mid december and hurt his hand and back to the injured list again.

I can't honestly expect him to do very well, but I wouldn't be surprised either. It all comes down to his health first, IQ second.

I don't think his Bball-IQ is an issue anymore, at least not a prohibitive one. If he's healthy, he's gonna bring it. Al averaged 13 and 6 last year, and I can see JB getting that. Well, maybe 4-5 boards, but more blocks.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think his Bball-IQ is an issue anymore, at least not a prohibitive one. If he's healthy, he's gonna bring it. Al averaged 13 and 6 last year, and I can see JB getting that. Well, maybe 4-5 boards, but more blocks.
    Are you kidding? Did you see what he DID in the Detroit series? I seriously doubt that his IQ isn't a problem. The man is just dumb. He looks so lost out there.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by homedoggie
    I think Bender could possibly be better than Harrington. I know alot of analysts love to draw comparisons to Tracy McGrady. Saying Bender is a taller more athletic version. He is also a more inconsistant, injury prown, version. I guess Walsh/Bird/Carlisle see something in him. So I'd love to see him break out next season.

Saturday night this very question was asked. Who is going to be better Al or Jon. I think we voted, but I cannot remember the vote.

I expect Bender to be the 3rd or 4th leading scorer on the team right there with Jackson

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I agree with you suave. Bender's IQ is like a box of rocks. I swear the highschool let him get through because of his bball skills. I can only hope for the best since he is on our team.

12 pts 5 reb 1block

He will undoubtedly get hurt. When and how is the only questions?

2006 WORLD CHAMPION INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

He had the dear in headlights look against detroit...but he was pretty effective in the previous series....

I see his court awareness getting better.... just him making some decent passes off his hard drives was encourging..... I see him developing a mid-range game....something between the 3pointers and banzai drives to bucket.

I can see him playing between 25-30 minutes a night getting between 12-15 pts... 5-6 bds, 2 blks, 2 assts and playing in 70+ games........or so.

I expect Bender will get some minutes to see how he does in various situations. These will be more than token appearences initially. He'll have a good half here or there. Some teams will adjust and shut him down and take him out of the game mentally (and/or physically) and they can go back to their primary focus because once Bender's head is out of the game he will be lost for the game. His defense will be sketchy on his primary man but he will get some blocks.

He'll get to the basket a few times causing us to wonder how he did that in only a step or two... some of those times he will 'finish' but he will have more than a few where he doesn't 'finish'. And a few turnovers there as well.

He will look in tune for segments of games but at other times and other games he will have the 'deer in the headlights' look.

And he will spend some time with the trainer due to injuries. More than other players.

IOW... I expect Bender's season to go a lot like Bender's career. To -expect- anything more is foolish after all this time. To HOPE for more is different.

-Bball

Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

bapspacers4life

go bender do ur stuff if not trade bait

I have no expectations for him anymore. It's the same story every year, and yeah, I know it's not always his fault.

But all in all, he has to actually prove it this time in order for me to believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by waxman
    He had the dear in headlights look against detroit...but he was pretty effective in the previous series....
    Agreed. It's a learning process in the playoffs, and that was the first time he'd been in such a situation. It's not like he was Al coming up short year after year.

Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He will have 12-15ppg 3-5rpg 2-3apg.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

I think Jackson will get the backup SF minutes & Jones will get more time.

Bender is out of the rotataion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jose
    Bad Jose, bad dog.

Lets just say my hero, my pal Jon Bender will either be 6th man of the year, or biggest bust of the year. I'm hoping for the former but just in case he's been practicing driving a school bus.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by Jose
    I think Jackson will get the backup SF minutes & Jones will get more time.

There is certainly a minutes crunch, still.

Al's playing time at PF is up fro grabs-- Bender, Croshere, JO less at 5 with more Harrison, Croshere, or Polland (just kidding there)

But much of Al's SF time involved Ron sliding over to the 2, and that will be less since S-Jack, Reg, and Freddie should take all of the SG minutes.

The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)