Thread: Roy Hibbert

Default Roy Hibbert

what's this guys deal? is he nba ready? why is his minutes declining? is he quick enough to handle the power f's in the league?
    i havent seen him play this season because im in the cleveland market. if u guys could let me know what u think about hibbert so far id really appreciate it.

Default Re: Roy Hibbert

Hibbert is a very good center that never gets touches because we'd rather shoot a contested three seven seconds into the shot clock rather than use a good back to basket player. JOB wants movement and he'd much rather have Foster run around like a chicken with his head cut off shuffling the ball around to jack up a three. Thats why he gets little PT. Roy is very slow and he can't guard anyone without fouling. He'd do better if he roamed on D like Chris Anderson. Then he could block some shots.
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

Way to go Jim, you may have just put our franchise back another 4+ years.

Hibbert would be a 15 and 9 player if he had a coach that actually runs post plays.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hibbert clearly isn't a guy that O'Brien trust on the floor.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

He deserves a lot more time than Jeff does.

What more does O'Brien want out of a center?

Roy has improved into a stronger big man who is beginning to play well.

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He deserves a lot more time than Jeff does.

What more does O'Brien want out of a center?

Roy has improved into a stronger big man who is beginning to play well.
    A center than can catch a chicken in a footrace?

The preceding posts are from guys who are so down on O'Brien that they blame everything on his coaching. Don't believe them.

In fact, Roy still has a lot to prove at the NBA level. He started well this season, but lately has declined in performance as well as in minutes. He's getting his shot blocked too often and getting too few rebounds. Last year his problem was fouling too much, and roy has solved that by just not making any very serious effort to fill the middle.

Many of us still believe he is the Pacers' center of the future and one of the building blocks for a team that will be seriously competitive three years from now. But even if he's the center of the future, he's not the foundation of the team right now.

Maybe O'Brien's coaching and game planning is what holds Hibbert back, or maybe he just needs a teammate who's going to play tough so Hibbert can play elegant. When discussing Hibbert, we come back again and again to the combination of Rik Smits and Dale Davis. They needed each other. Roy Hibbert hasn't got the team mate that he needs.

And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Putnam For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

A point guard who actually intends to initiate the offense wouldn't hurt Hibbert, either.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    The preceding posts are from guys who are so down on O'Brien that they blame everything on his coaching. Don't believe them.

In fact, Roy still has a lot to prove at the NBA level. He started well this season, but lately has declined in performance as well as in minutes. He's getting his shot blocked too often and getting too few rebounds. Last year his problem was fouling too much, and roy has solved that by just not making any very serious effort to fill the middle.

Many of us still believe he is the Pacers' center of the future and one of the building blocks for a team that will be seriously competitive three years from now. But even if he's the center of the future, he's not the foundation of the team right now.

Maybe O'Brien's coaching and game planning is what holds Hibbert back, or maybe he just needs a teammate who's going to play tough so Hibbert can play elegant. When discussing Hibbert, we come back again and again to the combination of Rik Smits and Dale Davis. They needed each other. Roy Hibbert hasn't got the team mate that he needs.

Yes he does. And his name is Tyler.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    Excuse me... What have I said on this forum that justifies the broad brush you just used on my above post? I'm doing my damn best to be objective about what coach is "trying" to do. Granted, I don't agree with how O'Brien is handling Roy, but to say that I'm "so down on him that I blame everything on his coaching" is overstating how I feel quite a bit.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post:

Sorry, Gnome. I didn't mean you in particular.

I should have said said "some of the preceding posts" or I should have quoted Thesterovic and JGray.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Unfortunately Roy has one of the flatest shots you will see. Thus he gets his shot blocked and it also reduces his field goal efficiency.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    Unfortunately Roy has one of the flatest shots you will see. Thus he gets his shot blocked and it also reduces his field goal efficiency.
    I don't think blocked shots are his problem, it's the blocked dunks/layups.

It is a long, long and windy road for most centers at they develop - it is amazing to me that so many have drawn so many conclusions on Roy - good and bad. That is why I had that post about Rik Smits in the other thread about Roy maybe not starting tonight - I think a little perspective is needed -patience.

The only thing I have ever said about Roy is that he isn't my type of center, I like maybe shorter, quicker and more athletic centers - just a personal opinion as I don't like how slower bigger centers like Roy get taken advantage of in pick and rolls and other defensive areas. But then I wasn't a big fan of Rik, Yao, big Z, older Shaq....My ideal center of alltime was Hakeem and he was 6'10"
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 11-30-2009 at 11:40 AM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I don't think blocked shots are his problem, it's the blocked dunks/layups.
    Right.

I don't think his outide shot has been blocked yet. But several dunks or shots that should have been dunks have been blocked.

My take on it is that he is so used to not having contested shots right next to the basket that he puts it in with finesse rather than force. Soon enough, he'll realize he's not playing against college kids anymore.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Right.

I don't think his outide shot has been blocked yet. But several dunks or shots that should have been dunks have been blocked.

My take on it is that he is so used to not having contested shots right next to the basket that he puts it in with finesse rather than force. Soon enough, he'll realize he's not playing against college kids anymore.
    Which means he has to shoot more jumpers since he'll realize he doesn't have the ability to take it to the hole...

Quote Originally Posted by flox View Post
    Which means he has to shoot more jumpers since he'll realize he doesn't have the ability to take it to the hole...
    He can't work on throwing it down hard? The dunk is there waiting for him in given scenarios, and he does have the dunk. The problem is he's not putting force behind the attempt. I don't see any reason why he can't improve there.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    He can't work on throwing it down hard? The dunk is there waiting for him in given scenarios, and he does have the dunk. The problem is he's not putting force behind the attempt. I don't see any reason why he can't improve there.
    I think the problems have come when he's had easy, obvious dunks near the basket. Most players, through a lifetime of experience, learn to go with a hard dunk, or, like a Tyler, position their bodies in such a way that a blocker from their blind side would have to foul.

I don't think Roy has ever had to really deal with the issue until he reached the NBA.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown