Thread: luther head

Default luther head

hi guys
    long time reader first time poster!

anybody feel like this guy should be getting more time in? i honestly think hes been playing better than ford and watson...

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Default Re: luther head

Welcome.

I really like his offense. Can somewhat create for himself, maybe better than anyone on the team.

Kinda mediocre on defense. That hurts his minutes. But, yes, in a vacuum I'd like to see him get a lot more playing time. But with this overload of players right now, I don't think we're gonna see it.

I certainly don't like him better than Duleavey, who will take nearly all of his minutes.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

I'd love to see him play a little PG, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards. I don't like him at SG any better than any of the other options.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Sorry but, arguably one of the worst players on the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by quinnthology View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorry but, arguably one of the worst players on the roster.
    Why do you start by saying "sorry"?

Anyway, if our PGs are going to continue to be low assist guys asked to score more than create, we might as well play the SG in a PG's body who can shoot better than either of them, probably finish/attack better than either of them, and isn't bad defensively.

I can't sit here and say I KNOW it's the best option, but I think it's reasonable to at least explore it for a chunk of time to see.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Mood

I would like to see him run the first team and see what he can do. It certainly could not hurt.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jeffg-body For This Useful Post:

Where are these rumors of Head being a bad defender coming from? He is one of our best players at staying in front of his man. He's certainly better than Ford at that, though Watson might be a bit better at it. He's a better offensive player than Watson though.

Dream Big

He and Tyler bring energy off the bench, I love the way the little dude plays.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to tora tora For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JGray View Post
    Where are these rumors of Head being a bad defender coming from? He is one of our best players at staying in front of his man. He's certainly better than Ford at that, though Watson might be a bit better at it. He's a better offensive player than Watson though.
    Agreed. He may not be a great defender, but he's not as poor as some would lead you to believe. Ford and Watson really aren't doing anything he couldn't. I'd like to see him at least get consistent back-up minutes.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

i feel like with his consistent and effective offense, that in itself could create more opportunities for other players to get good looks. itd be great to have another legitimate offensive threat playing.
    (yes, i know you guys have exhausted this topic, but) its pretty clear that tj ford and watson arent getting it done- i love what tj used to do, but he really does look confused on offense, and tbh his defense doesnt look that spectacular. fords just not playing to his strengths. hes not taking that quick jumper off the pick at the ft line, and isnt keeping the defense guessing. hes instead either standing at the arc jacking 3s (cuz we all know how great he is at shooting them) or driving recklessly into double teams and then having to force a weak pass to bail him out or taking an ill-advised shot. hes not making plays where he is most comfortable, and it blows me away why hes gone away from that.
    ive honestly never been sold on watson (but i really dont know too much about him.) i know hes had some pretty spectacular plays, but by and large, i feel like his offense is pretty mediocre- he seems to like settling for jump shots and 3s, and isnt particularly effective in getting his teammates involved.
    i dont really see either of them as effective offensive threats because of their lack of consistency (like hicks said, watson and ford arent assisting well) and both arent exactly shooting well or taking enough shots for defenses to be too worried about them. it really doesnt look like this team has much to lose by giving head a chance. maybe they can make head out to be what the rockets expected him to be?

I like Head's game (Eeewww! Head games! I like it!! ) I think next to Granger, Dunleavy and TJ Ford, Luther Head is the only other player on this team who can create for himself. He plays more like a Pt-Fwd than a PG or SG. I'd like to see him play with Granger and Dunleavy and see what he can really do.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Why do you start by saying "sorry"?

Anyway, if our PGs are going to continue to be low assist guys asked to score more than create, we might as well play the SG in a PG's body who can shoot better than either of them, probably finish/attack better than either of them, and isn't bad defensively.

I can't sit here and say I KNOW it's the best option, but I think it's reasonable to at least explore it for a chunk of time to see.
    That pretty much sums up what I am thinking.

This offense doesn't call for a pure point guard. I think Luther would do really good and would like to see him get some more minutes. He is one of the better, if not best, long range shooters on the team and he has good size he can handle some of the bigger point guards better then TJ can.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

He's not really a PG, Luther's a better shooter (career wise) than Ford or Watson. He has ran more successful pick and rolls than TJ has, but that's not saying much.

I'm not really sure how good a defender he is, I really haven't seen enough of him. I don't mind seeing him come in the game though, he doesn't seem to hurt the team and I've yet to tire of the "Head" jokes. So I guess I'm all for more Head.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    He's not really a PG, Luther's a better shooter (career wise) than Ford or Watson. He has ran more successful pick and rolls than TJ has, but that's not saying much.

I'm not really sure how good a defender he is, I really haven't seen enough of him. I don't mind seeing him come in the game though, he doesn't seem to hurt the team and I've yet to tire of the "Head" jokes. So I guess I'm all for more Head.
    heads actually a fairly decent defender. hes pretty quick and athletic and works hard to stay in front of his man. hes big enough to guard other pgs too, imo.

i say we write a letter to the pacers organization advocating more time for head
    watson sucks

Quote Originally Posted by HanSolo View Post
    i say we write a letter to the pacers organization advocating more time for head
    watson sucks
    sounds redundant to me

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by JGray View Post
    Count me in this group.

I don't dislike TJ or Watson. In fact I was a fan of both players before they joined the Pacers. Since our current system doesn't require PGs who can run the offense, they're not good fits for this offense.

Luther Head and even Diener are better fits because they move well without the ball and are spot shooters. They're also really good at advancing the ball with the dribble and pass. That doesn't mean that Head or Diener are better PGs than TJ or Watson - not by a long shot - but if we're going to continue to run this ridiculous uptempo offense they are better fits offensively.

Head is pretty good defensively when matched up with PGs. Not so much against SGs but he has enough speed and a good enough defensive stance to pressure and stay in front of his man.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

i just want to revive this thread because...yea
    pretty sure you guys can see why