View Poll Results: Should JOB be fired?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!!!

49 53.85%
  • No

10 10.99%
  • It's too early, but I'm leaning to yes.

29 31.87%
  • JOB = Jesus

3 3.30%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fire JOB Thread...again

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The Fire JOB Thread...again

Quote Originally Posted by EmCeE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I voted no. Not because I'm in love with Job, but because I'm astute enough to learn that our players are the problem. This roster will look entirely different in three years. Also, in three years we replace Job with another coach.

Besides, what high profile coach would come here? I challenge any of you to name a good replacement.
    Are you astute enough to learn that our players aren't the only problem?

JOB won't be around three more years without the help of some sort of divine intervention.

Who said anything about a high-profile coach?

Potentially good replacements: Tom Thibodeau or Jeff Van Gundy wouldn't be bad. I'm sure there are other up and coming assistants out there who would be good for the job. Elston Turner maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Mark Jackson would be my choice.
    Based on ??

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    Based on ??
    Great leadership skills, likeable guy, good communicator and has experience playing a style that is the opposite of this mess we currently have to watch. Roy Hibbert would be a happy man.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Are you astute enough to learn that our players aren't the only problem?

JOB won't be around three more years without the help of some sort of divine intervention.

Who said anything about a high-profile coach?

Potentially good replacements: Tom Thibodeau or Jeff Van Gundy wouldn't be bad. I'm sure there are other up and coming assistants out there who would be good for the job. Elston Turner maybe?
    Did you think that was a personal attack? I thought the comment was a generalization aimed at those who irrationally attack their coach when things don't go well. Obviously, Job isn't the greatest coach, but who could we get that would be a difference maker was the question? Maybe I hit home with that comment. Lo siento amigo.

Plus, I was the one who said high-profile, obviously. Those are the type of coaches that can make a difference. Also, the type of coach that wouldn't accept this job.

So, Thebodeau, Van Gundy,and Turner? Thanks for answering the question despite the personal nonsense. Van Gundy is borderline high-profile and would not accept this job. Who would? Thebodeau and Turner would, but they wouldn't do any better than O'brien with these weak left-overs that we call players. We are very young team with plug-in FA's that we signed only because they fit into our cap-space. However, those two could be good replacements, but after Obie's contract expires. There is no benefit to firing Job at this point. That is all I'm saying. We suck, face it. I still bleed blue and gold, but remain realistic and rational.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Mark Jackson would be my choice. Oh, and JOb will be gone once his extension is up. He's signed his last contract with the Pacers IMO.
    I like it. This is the guy I hoped to sign when we got Job. Hopefully he'll still be available whenever Job wears out his welcome.

Great leadership skills, likeable guy, good communicator and has experience playing a style that is the opposite of this mess we currently have to watch. Roy Hibbert would be a happy man.
    All admirable traits, but he has zero coaching experience. I'm not sure you put the franchise in the hands of someone with no background. Especially a team like this. I would think a teacher is a better fit. Unfortunately, Larry Brown ain't coming back.

No desire to comment here yet- watched the Clippers game in person and because I was just so into the game, I wasn't able to look at it from as much of an objective perspective as I am usually able to- and I missed the Dallas game and after seeing the score I have no desire to watch it.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Byron Scott Please!
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Byron Scott is the obvious choice to me given the leadership he provided here as we were rising to prominence with Larry Brown.

At this point, I'd settle for working out a swap with New Jersey for the embattled Lawrence Frank. He at least seems to understand the game at a fundamental level, despite getting run over frequently by his players. Bird would probably not go for him because of that.

Jeff Van Gundy probably won't come here because of not trusting us due to whatever happened when Stan came to town to presumably sign a contract before we hired O'Brien. Stan had quite a sour look on his face when he was interviewed while in his vehicle leaving Conseco about why he didn't sign on, and basically said that things were not how he was led to believe they were here, otherwise "no comment". Unless it was Donnie who didn't follow through on what Larry was promising, the issue would likely be with Bird who is still here. Hopefully it was an issue with Donnie.

I have never been a fan of firing a coach during the season. I guess certain times call for it but i'm not for sure this does.

It's unlikely the Pacers would bring in a brand new coach during the season. Although the Nuggets hired George Karl that way and had success. It's more likely they would just promote Harter or Conner to head coach.

I think there will be a lot of ups and downs this season, maybe more so then last, Jim deserves a chance to show what he can do. I am by no way impressed with him and lets just say him coaching this team past this season would dissapoint me but he should be given the chance to see if he can fix things it's still early.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Young For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

"It's too early, but I'm leaning to yes."

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    Jeff Van Gundy probably won't come here because of not trusting us due to whatever happened when Stan came to town to presumably sign a contract before we hired O'Brien. Stan had quite a sour look on his face when he was interviewed while in his vehicle leaving Conseco about why he didn't sign on, and basically said that things were not how he was led to believe they were here, otherwise "no comment". Unless it was Donnie who didn't follow through on what Larry was promising, the issue would likely be with Bird who is still here. Hopefully it was an issue with Donnie.
    Stan interviewed with the Pacers as a backup plan. It has nothing to do with the Pacers not following through with some promise. SVG was the guy doing the choosing, not the Pacers.

Is Lawrence Frank someone we should be interested in?

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    Byron Scott is the obvious choice to me given the leadership he provided here as we were rising to prominence with Larry Brown.

At this point, I'd settle for working out a swap with New Jersey for the embattled Lawrence Frank. He at least seems to understand the game at a fundamental level, despite getting run over frequently by his players. Bird would probably not go for him because of that.

I've never heard that story. Any speculation as to the issue?

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I think Uncle Buck used to mention him as a good candidate.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Yes I think Frank is a good coach. But if he does get fired, he's not going to coach anywhere else this season.

Having said that he wouldn't have gotten more than 36 wins out of the Pacers the past two seasons. maybe 2 or 3 coaches might have gotten more than 36 wins out of this team.

My point about O'Brien is that getting this team to win 36 wins in each of the past two seasons is IMO maximizing the talent.

Having a team shoot the 6th most threes is not in and of itself poor coaching.

The defensive system is not in and of itself poor coaching.

Being in the top 8 in team assist shows IMO good coaching.

O'Brien is not nearly as bad a coach as many of the forum members seem to believe

I stated this before, just because you might not like the offensive or defensive systems, that doesn't mean O'Brien is a bad coach.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Yes I think Frank is a good coach. But if he does get fired, he's not going to coach anywhere else this season.
    He got fired. Saw it on ESPN.

edit: link http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4697789
    Last edited by imawhat; 11-29-2009 at 03:37 PM.

"Frank, who set an NBA coaching record by winning his first 13 games as Byron Scott's replacement in the 2003-04 season, is in the final year of a contract that pays him $4 million this season."

Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    "Frank, who set an NBA coaching record by winning his first 13 games as Byron Scott's replacement in the 2003-04 season, is in the final year of a contract that pays him $4 million this season."

Interesting.
    Yep. As a coach, his teams were extremely streaky (probably the streakiest in the past 5 years). It was common for his teams to win 5, lose 5.

He's a great Xs and Os coach, but for some reason his teams weren't consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    All admirable traits, but he has zero coaching experience. I'm not sure you put the franchise in the hands of someone with no background. Especially a team like this. I would think a teacher is a better fit. Unfortunately, Larry Brown ain't coming back.
    I agree. I would be much more comfortable with a guy like Jackson if he spent some time as an assistant. As it is, we just know him as a charismatic guy who was a smart player. That's it. He has not had anything to do with coaching or running any team related activity since he retired as a player.

I know that Bird took his job as a HC without any prior experience none as an assistant), but at the very least he was involved with the organization in day to day operations and he had experienced assistants working with him. Mark Jackson has just been working in a broadcasting booth.

Not that it really matters if it works out, but in general it's a bit frowned upon by the coaching fraternity (especially the long time assistants looking for their chance at a HC job) when a coach is just hired straight out of a broadcast booth or straight out of retirement as a player without paying his dues as an assistant.
    Last edited by d_c; 11-29-2009 at 04:40 PM.

43 in favor of replacing Jim, 7 against.

About Frank, I really don't know much about his offensive gameplan. What kind of team would he try to make the Pacers? Low post offense? Triangle or what. Whatever coach we get next we need to have a serious post game plan for Hibbert. And I would prefer they limit the 3 point shooting as well.

The other coaching options are Byron Scott, who has had alot of experience, plus he is a former Pacer, thats always good. We have no Chris Paul for him to play so who knows what he will do, lots of PnR action I guess.

Mark Jackson? no thanks, might as well say we want Reggie to coach the team. Both have the same experience.

How about VanGundy? At least it would get him off tv
    He always had toughminded defensive teams. I like that. I can see him playing the right guys and benching the poor defenders.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Well, yes...

However his job is very secure.

Hard to imagine a coach with that losing record being secure but I'm pretty sure Thorn knew going into this season that this was what was going to happen. I think he is probably more interested in devloping the new players and the fantasy persuit of LeBron for this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Burtrem Redneck View Post

About Frank, I really don't know much about his offensive gameplan. What kind of team would he try to make the Pacers? Low post offense? Triangle or what. Whatever coach we get next we need to have a serious post game plan for Hibbert. And I would prefer they limit the 3 point shooting as well.
    Look how well Brook Lopez played under him. Brook is only a little better than Hibbert so i'd imagine that Hibbert would be just about as good.

Frank just got fired.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by JGray View Post
    Look how well Brook Lopez played under him. Brook is only a little better than Hibbert so i'd imagine that Hibbert would be just about as good.
    Lopez is a lot better than Hibbert. Let's not kid ourselves here.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson