Thread: Nice Article on Tinsley

Default Nice Article on Tinsley

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...e/?partner=RSS

Jamaal Tinsley learning his role with Grizzlies

Point guard has calming effect on offense

PORTLAND, Ore. -- He emerged from the showers breathing hard after logging 22-plus NBA minutes, which might as well had been two hours of running on a treadmill for Jamaal Tinsley.

The veteran point guard was definitely feeling the wow factor of trying to find a gear that can only be found in professional basketball.
    "I'm not at L.A. Fitness anymore," Tinsley said with a sheepish grin, referring to the place he spent most of the 1 1/2 years he'd been out the league.

Tinsley, though, is rounding into shape for the Grizzlies. The 31-year-old floor general, signed as a free agent nearly two weeks ago, is averaging 9.5 points on 47-percent shooting to go with 2.5 assists over the past two games.
    The Griz consistently logged about 22 minutes off the bench during that span. Tinsley's role will continue to expand with significant playing time as Griz coach Lionel Hollins is enamored with the former Indiana Pacers' savvy and calming influence.

Those characteristics can only help the Griz as they continue a five-game road trip tonight at the Portland Trail Blazers.
    "He can only get better, hopefully quicker than later," Hollins said. "It's just nice to have a veteran who understands. He's out there controlling things. His veteran leadership is what is important."

Tinsley has shown he has a command of the team on the floor, if not every set in the Grizzlies' playbook. He's quickly supplanted Marcus Williams as the backup point guard to starter Mike Conley. Tinsley often sees action late in the third and well into the fourth period of games as the Griz try to stay close or finish strong against the opposition.
    If anything, he represents an upgrade because Tinsley is reliable and mature with the basketball in his hands.

"I'm a point guard. I know what they want. I have to just get guys into their spots and pick my spots to score," Tinsley said. "I'm not where I want to be. It's a process. I'm working on it. I've been out for a while, so it feels good to go out there and compete on a higher level like this."
    The issue was never whether or not Tinsley could play. The last time he roamed an NBA court, Tinsley averaged 11.8 points and 8.4 assists for the Pacers during the 2007-08 campaign.

Tinsley played in 39 games that season, and disappeared when off-court issues compelled the Pacers to ask him to stay away from the team.
    The Pacers and Tinsley agreed to a contract buyout in July.
    He's quickly become comfortable with the Grizzlies, who were giddy about picking up a player whose career assists average (7.0) ranks him seventh among active players.

"Everybody loves him," Conley said. "He's doing a lot to make his presence felt. For me, I've been noticing the way he probes and observes the game. Even though he doesn't know all of the plays, he's putting guys in spots and getting into pick-and-rolls. He's going to help us a lot when he gets into the kind of shape he wants to be in."

Tinsley said he'll play whatever role is required. He's taking this shot at redemption day by day and possession by possession in hopes he can convince his younger teammates to do the same with every game.
    "I've learned a lot about bringing my leadership on the court," Tinsley said. "I'm just trying to let them know that you don't have to hit every home run on a possession. The more possessions we get, the better chance we have to win the ball games."

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to QuickRelease For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Default Re: Nice Article on Tinsley

I'm glad that he's able to find his way back to the NBA.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I'm watching him take complete control of the Grizzlies offense right now. It's a shame he couldn't trust his teammates, play defense, or have a good attitude. He's such a talent.

"I'm just trying to let them know that you don't have to hit every home run on a possession. The more possessions we get, the better chance we have to win the ball games."

so true.
    But here in Indiana we shoot 3s with 22 on the shotclock FTW (or FTL)

JT s already taken the backup spot from Marcus Williams, and it looks like he is eating into Conley's mins as well. Played all 4th Q, vs. Portland, looks good.

Takes some ill-advised shots, but hit all of them, tonight.

Also: Thabeet looked surprisingly good, but we can stop losing sleep over not having Bayless
    Last edited by dal9; 11-28-2009 at 12:56 AM.

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Three questions:

1) How long until Jamaal's starting over Conley?
    2) How long until Conley wants out of Memphis?
    3) Should we make a play for the kid despite his ho-hum performance through the first 150+ games of his career?

Tinsley is easily the best point guard on their squad... but it's hard to think he'll start since I have to figure they are trying to develop the young guys there. Then again, it's Memphis, who really knows what their goals are?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Three questions:

1) How long until Jamaal's starting over Conley?
    2) How long until Conley wants out of Memphis?
    3) Should we make a play for the kid despite his ho-hum performance through the first 150+ games of his career?
    1) I give it 15-20 games.
    2) He probably wants out now.
    3) I would like to. I'd give them TJ Ford for Conley+whatever they had to do to make it work under the cap. That speaks more about my distaste for Ford than it does my affection for Conley though.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dece View Post
    Tinsley is easily the best point guard on their squad... but it's hard to think he'll start since I have to figure they are trying to develop the young guys there. Then again, it's Memphis, who really knows what their goals are?
    Don't you know... every bad NBA team needs to stock up on low-quality veterans to chase that final playoff spot. Getting the #8 seed RIGHT NOW is much more important than developing players to be a contender in the future.

Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

i've watched the games he played, watched the NO game, and once those big man know what to expect, those lasers he throws to them under the basket, his ast numbers will be high again, he's in shape and crafty as always, a damn shame we have to make to with idiot sg's in a pg body
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to able For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

ive been watching him also and hes playing well..............

actually come to think of it alot of our former pacers are playing well.... j.o., harrington, sjax, tinsley, artest....and primo is actually producing a lil bit.

Tinsley looks like he's in the best shape he's been in in years...

Banned
    Mood

It's too bad he never showed such dedication while here. He got his big fat paycheck and promptly became a big fat slacker.

Mood

I don't believe that's accurate. He was in good shape for a few years here. At least one of them was certainly post-contract extension.

I watched a good chunk of the Grizzlies' game today, and I saw the good and the bad with Tinsley. He can have an offense humming at times. Beautiful floor-general commands, prompt decisions, gorgeous passing, pushing the ball up the floor. Very pretty. I even saw him his a post up hook shot over Baron at one point. Hit a 3.

Then I also noticed him getting blown by Baron Davis on the other end, and at other times just leaving Baron completely on the perimeter to cheat to the strong side of the floor, where the ball proceeded to be swung or kicked out to a wide open Baron for the jumper. To his credit, he had some nice steals, though.

At the end, the team fell apart, and he didn't exactly calm them down. He started to panic a little bit and make rushed decisions, drive hopelessly into traffic and get swatted, and the Clippers ran them over to come back from a 20 point deficit to win by more than 5.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Wait, I thought Jamaal was sitting in his house in Atlanta eating chicken wings instead of staying in shape, because he didn't want to play in the NBA?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Popeye's chicken has made him better than any point guard on the Memphis roster... and ours for that matter Anthem.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Wait, I thought Jamaal was sitting in his house in Atlanta eating chicken wings instead of staying in shape, because he didn't want to play in the NBA?
    so why'd u pic chicken of all foods?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Would you really be that shocked if it had played out that way?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by sportfireman View Post
    Old joke; not racially motivated.

If I recall correctly, before he finally got a chef to put him on a healthy diet, he was known for eating fast foods (notable chicken fingers) regularly. And it showed on his body.

I have a different explanation for Tinsley's turnaround:

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Kim, MD PhD
    JOHNS HOPKINS RESEARCHERS TRACK DOWN PROTEIN RESPONSIBLE FOR CHRONIC RHINOSINUSITIS WITH POLYPS

Chronic sinusitis, a constant irritation and swelling of the nasal passages, is a common condition thought to affect about one out of every six people. This problem has several forms with a range of severities...
    Her findings, published in the Dec. 1 American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, suggest that doctors may eventually treat sinusitis in patients with polyps using therapies that reduce VEGF in sinus tissues.
    http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/Press.../11_23_09.html

You think Tinsley maybe just had his sinusitis treated?

Quote Originally Posted by sportfireman View Post
    During his rookie year he really struggled with his weight, and he was also seen eating chicken fingers a few minutes before the game. The two things probably weren't unrelated.

Regardless, it's not like I picked it out of thin air. I'm the guy that's been defending Tinsley's will to play for the past year while the rest of the board said he only wanted to sit around and cash paychecks.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Would you really be that shocked if it had played out that way?
    Shocked? Maybe not. But the number of people who believed it (without any evidence) just because they disliked the guy was crazy.

Enjoy your time at PD!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Tinsley either has grown up/changed or he's on a honeymoon.

Following him as a Pacers so closely, it's easy to say it's just a honeymoon.

I don't care either way. If he's grown up, good for him. I like to see people get a second chance and have a happy life.

If he's on a honeymoon and reverts back to coach killing, team dividing, unprofessional malcontent, fine by me too. At least, he's not here.

That was a long way to say, who cares.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

It's really too bad Jamaal never worked out here. He is one of the most talented floor generals in the NBA. I think it was his rookie year he had a 23 assist game or early on in his career. I had high hopes for what he could be then.

It really is a shame what his career has become. For a point guard as talented as Jamaal to not be wanted by many and not starting is just a shame. I am glad he is gone but for the Grizzles sake I hope he doesn't cause problems for them.