Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Odd thoughts after being violated by the Raptors...

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Odd thoughts after being violated by the Raptors...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There is a lot of talk in this thread, and others, about all the things that Murphy, Ford, Foster, et al are doing wrong but what I don't see is anyone complaining about the team's supposed best player, Granger, launching 27 shots while blistering the nets at a 40% rate.

Why?
    I've seen it mentioned in several other threads - not necessarily specific to this game though. I suspect we give him a bit of a pass for this game because his hot 2nd half 3 pt shooting is what got us back into the game.

Anyway, I think we are all aware that Danny is shooting a horrible FG% so far this season. It's bad. I've lamented about it in other threads myself. Personally, I don't throw Danny completely under the bus because I suspect that heel injury has a lot to do with his poor shooting (and lack of drives to the basket) and his so-so defense.

I'd like to see him sit awhile, frankly. I don't think it's going to heal just by having him sit out practices.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flox View Post
    Would you be surprised if I told you that Toronto has the highest rated offense so far in the season before our game?
    Not really.

I said they were darn good offensively.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Not really.

I said they were darn good offensively.

Not a lot of people are aware of that lol. Just wanted to put that out there incase others that weren't you didn't recognize how good they are.

There is a lot of talk in this thread, and others, about all the things that Murphy, Ford, Foster, et al are doing wrong but what I don't see is anyone complaining about the team's supposed best player, Granger, launching 27 shots while blistering the nets at a 40% rate.

Why?
    It's a good question.

I'd say we are subconsciously giving Danny a pass because we sympathize. The coach is not designing and enforcing an offensive scheme with movement that gets players open. Thus, as the shot clock winds down, Danny has to force something up. After a while as the game goes on, he realizes if he has something on the perimeter slightly more open, early in the shot clock, he'll chuck it. Might as well.

It's not good, but it's what Danny has to deal with, given the failure of the coach to get the offensive schemes into execution.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

All hail King George! KnicksRGarbage's Avatar

I was hoping that someone would extend the discussion about Dannys attitude that Peck pointed out. I noticed this the very first game but i just figured he was having a shatty day or something of the sorts. however, he really has seemed like a zombie. thats a perfect word for it. its really unfortunate.

Also, I think you all would feel much better if you didnt expect wonderful things from TJ. Hes seemed to have consistency issues since hes been here. And as far as the comparison to Tinsley...At least hes not Tinsley with a gun!

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Why he played so few min. is a real shame, I would say mystery but we all know why he did not get many min. in this game.
    Solo and McBob called and asked the same thing. How many bigs must show true physical impact on the defensive end only to get benched sooner or for many games after that.

McBob is different than Tyler, but McBob has impacted games just as effectively as Tyler did and found himself tied to the bench shortly after that. I know that you are a Solo fan and have obviously had questions there.

Jeff I get because he does show vet smarts and will physically defend players where he can. So maybe you want some calm maturity out there at times. But there are plenty of other times when you have no good reason not to let the kids work and improve, or in fact actually need someone young and willing to mix it up with some energy.

When a guy like Noah or Aldridge start pounding into the post you need to counter that with a guy willing to go right back at them, at least enough to slow the momentum.

This is not the same Danny as last year who looked excited more times than not to be on the floor and was cheering on his team mates with every possession
    Obviously you must question the heel first, but the attitude seems to reach beyond just that. It's hard to pinpoint....

But there is the Mel Daniels thing and the "some players were upset with the extension" thing. We would dismiss Danny because he had an all-star season in this system, but then Ron's only all-star season came from Carlisle and then he asked to be traded because of Rick's system. So players can clearly dislike playing for someone that's actually beneficial to their game/career.

IF, IF, IF Danny were to be upset with JOB, I think you'd have to assume that he wants to win, some team direction, some improved defense, some cohesive play...

I don't think it's a coincidence that the Rush, Danny, Jones combo shines. I think Rush and Dahntay are both defensive players that can come back at you the other way, and both have a good sense of team style play. I think both facilitate Danny's own game in a way that makes him more comfortable.

In fact to me it often looks like Jones is Danny's new best friend out there.

But maybe Danny loves JOB and is sick of Ford bickering with him. Or maybe he's frustrated with Roy's mistakes or Troy's defense or....

I think it's safe to say that he's ready for something to be different, and that we probably aren't going to find out what that is any time soon.

I wonder if Danny is upset about the same thing I am upset about (if it's true):

. . . that TJ and Murphy are starting only because of their contracts, and that's just the way it is in this cynical world.

Jones had an off game? Me, Mr. Rush fan, will be the first to say that asking him to defend Hedo was a mistake. And when Jones came in that crap stopped ASAP. He cut off his drives, he forced ball movement, he made the Raps work for things.

Brandon is solid, but given his size he is overmatched when facing Hedo. Put him on the lackluster DeRozen, put Jones on Hedo and put Danny vs Bosh. I realize Danny gives size up there, but Bosh is far more of a face up big than most. We just ran Danny out against KG when Boston came to town after all (Jones on Pierce, Rush on Allen).

I hate the 2 PG system, but moving Danny to 4 when you can so that Rush and Jones can play too seems to be your top defensive option, especially when Watson is with them. If you could get Roy to stay home more instead of chasing after outside shots you'd have a really strong 5 man defense.

You spell Roy with Solo, you rest Danny for Tyler, let Danny return for Jones a bit, and use Luther for Rush and then Jones as well. Jones and Danny get more minutes than the rest of them this way.

But then you have to fit in Troy and maybe Jeff and that all goes out the door.

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    I wonder if Danny is upset about the same thing I am upset about (if it's true):

. . . that TJ and Murphy are starting only because of their contracts, and that's just the way it is in this cynical world.
    I have been thinking the same thing, would Jim play Murph and TJ because they are getting paid 18 million and you just can't have them on the bench? Or maybe it is management saying you have to play these guys. My cynical nature tends to think there are motives other than just winning ball games. I hope not, because, as we have seen, this team, with the right people on the floor together, has the potential to be average or even kinda good. All of the problems with the offensive scheme dissappear when the offense is generated by the defense.

Why?
    I ripped him pretty hard in the post game thread. His chucking was just horrible, saved only by the makes. Peck mentioned it in the first post here, too.