View Poll Results: Are large contracts a significant reason why Ford/Murph get starters minutes?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • TJ Ford: Yes

    9 45.00%
  • TJ Ford: No

    11 55.00%
  • Murphy: Yes

    9 45.00%
  • Murphy: No

    11 55.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Is this about contracts?

  1. #1
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,173

    Default Is this about contracts?

    There's been some chatter here and there about Murphy and Ford's contracts: are they a factor in their getting starters minutes?

    Would they get fewer minutes, or not start, if they had the same size contracts as Watson, or Rush or Roy?

    If you say the answer is yes, is this good? Should it be changed? Is there anything that can be done? What?

    Has a team ever simply benched a big contract player? What was the fallout?

    I'll try to word this poll in an effective way, but it will be tricky.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  2. #2
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,912

    Default Re: Is this about contracts?

    I don't think the contracts have anything to do with it. Don't forget O'Brien was the coach that shut down Big Dog Robinson and he had a huge contract.

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Member Mr. Sobchak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    704

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is this about contracts?

    I don't think Larry or JOB could justify benching the highest paid player on the team.

  5. #4
    Get well PG! DGPR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Whiteland, IN
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,054

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is this about contracts?

    I don't think it has to do with contracts because they awarded McRoberts with a contract extension over the summer and he hasn't gotten much play from it.

    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin


  6. #5
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,912

    Default Re: Is this about contracts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sobchak View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think Larry or JOB could justify benching the highest paid player on the team.
    justify to whom?

  7. #6
    Member Mr. Sobchak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    704

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is this about contracts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    justify to whom?
    Fans and media...Not that the team has to cater to what the fans want but there will be a lot more criticism if the teams highest paid player hardly plays -unless the team is winning, which clearly is not happening.

  8. #7
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,051

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is this about contracts?

    I seriously doubt most casual fans give a hoot how much someone is paid, only how well they are playing.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  9. #8

    Default Re: Is this about contracts?

    I think there's some logic to the contracts. Those two are the highest paid, but the Pacers probably want to trade them. What other team is going to take a really high paid player who sits on the bench.

    Or perhaps what team is going to give you what that player is worth, if it's clear you don't want them.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:


  11. #9

    Default Re: Is this about contracts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    justify to whom?

    To the person paying their salaries.

  12. #10
    Release Psycho T pwee31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,171

    Default Re: Is this about contracts?

    I think it's about talent level of the team!

  13. #11

    Default Re: Is this about contracts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think there's some logic to the contracts. Those two are the highest paid, but the Pacers probably want to trade them. What other team is going to take a really high paid player who sits on the bench.

    Or perhaps what team is going to give you what that player is worth, if it's clear you don't want them.
    I agree that trade value is part of the equation.

  14. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,326

    Default Re: Is this about contracts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think the contracts have anything to do with it. Don't forget O'Brien was the coach that shut down Big Dog Robinson and he had a huge contract.
    I agree completely.

Similar Threads

  1. ESPN: The Top 10 Expiring Contracts
    By MillerTime in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-30-2008, 03:06 AM
  2. The latest on the labor situation
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-28-2005, 11:13 PM
  3. 10-Day Contracts?
    By _PD_ in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-16-2005, 03:05 PM
  4. Insider Article
    By FiestyFosterFanatic in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-18-2005, 11:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •