View Poll Results: Would you re-sign Earl Watson after this season?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 42.86%
  • No

2 9.52%
  • Undecided

10 47.62%

Thread: Earl Watson

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Earl Watson

With T.J. Ford expiring in 2010, but with a player option and Earl signed to just a one year deal. He expires the same time.

I'm curious to see what many others believe will happen with Earl Watson at the end of the season.

Is he going to re-sign and maybe we'll have ourselves a starting PG or a reliable backup PG?

He's been pretty impressive for us and very helpful on the defensive end which is what we wanted in a PG. His shooting improvement has been another help he's brought to us.

Again, I wouldn't say he's the future PG here, but I would think he's worth keeping for a few years. He's unrestricted so no one is going to ask us if we're matching or not matching any offer they've given to Earl.
    Last edited by Trophy; 11-24-2009 at 03:56 PM.

Default Re: Earl Watson

TJ's not going anywhere. If Watson wanted to take a 1 year deal making substantially less money than he is now, I'd say sure. He's not going to want that contract, and we can't afford to give him anything else.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

I said yes, but it's if the price is right, which made me think of AJ Price then I though hmmmm, I should have said no, if AJ Price is ready for back up mins at PG next year.

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    TJ's not going anywhere. If Watson wanted to take a 1 year deal making substantially less money than he is now, I'd say sure. He's not going to want that contract, and we can't afford to give him anything else.
    I'm thinking if TJ is traded for maybe a draft pick. Sometime this season or over the summer, what would happen with Earl?

We'd have some money saved.

This young man is my favorite PG on this team in years. I'd love to resign him to a 3yr/6m contract and he can retire here as our defensive backup. And AJ should mold his game to be like Watson. Takes charges, makes good plays, takes care of the ball, and shoots the three ball well. Basically does everything that TJ doesn't. They were both 2nd round picks.
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

Way to go Jim, you may have just put our franchise back another 4+ years.

way to early to know

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

To early to decide. He's looked really good at times and bad at times. Although he's played better than TJ, he's a journey man player, always has been always well be. I want AJ Price to get minutes to see if he can replace Watson next season.
    "Just look at the flowers ...."

I'd also like to say that I'm undecided. Based on what I'm seeing from Earl makes me want to bring him back, but there's still nearly a whole season left to go and players tend to get off to a hot start, but they soon begin to play poorly and vise versa.

He also said that he would like to retire here.
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

Quote Originally Posted by Thesterovic View Post
    He also said that he would like to retire here.

which is also what I would say if someone gave me 3 million for 1 year of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    which is also what I would say if someone gave me 3 million for 1 year of work.
    Plus perks.

Unless we dump salary, big salary, this offseason (which will be extremely difficult to do), we won't be in a position to offer Earl anything more than the vet min, which would be a large pay cut.

However, it's a very real possibility that Earl won't be able to get more than that on what promises to be a tight market.

That's why I think JOB needs to start giving Price minutes.

If Price can handle back up PG, why on earth would the Pacers pay Earl, or..if he can play backup..maybe that's a bigger incentive to get rid of TJ..*and his salary*