Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dunleavy to return Wednesday?!

Default Dunleavy to return Wednesday?!

Not sure how much of this is speculation but I saw this reading the Cavs/Pacers wrap up. It's at the bottom of the article

http://www.indycornrows.com/2009/11/...cers?ref=yahoo

These 34-point second halves just aren't cutting it for the Pacers.

For the second loss in a row, the Pacers came up impotent at winning time, matching the paltry 34-point second half from their loss to the Knicks on Wednesday. This time, however, the Pacers didn't cough up the ball repeatedly, instead they just couldn't shoot it straight. Plus, LeBron James was ready, willing and able to close out the win for the Cavaliers, 105-95.

The game went from a fast, paced bucket fest in the first half to a tough grind for the W in the second half. The Cavs led at the half 66-61 which included both teams lighting up the nets for 38 points in the first quarter. Talk about fun and exciting. It was simply too good to last.

The Pacers came out with a much better defensive mindset in the third quarter, holding the Cavs to a mere 11 points. But they failed to take advantage and build a big enough lead to hold off the inevitable run by the visitors. Then clanking up their own 13-point fourth quarter officially made this a tale of two halves that the Pacers would just soon forget.

Another thing we learned was the difference between an All-Star and a superstar in the NBA. The Pacers' All-Star, Danny Granger came up well short in his duel with LeBron tonight. You need only look at winning time in the fourth quarter to see the difference.

Granger was 1-8 in the final quarter, missing all five of his 3-ball attempts and finishing the quarter with three points and three fouls. With the game still in the balance, Granger had a pair of open threes and a layup attempt miss the mark. Plays he's been known to cash in, simply came up short. He also, passed up a three earlier to pump-fake and dribble in for a two, but that was short as well. Just couldn't find the rhythm when he needed it most. Granger finished with 17 points and 9 rebounds which came up short on this night.

Meanwhile, LeBron finished the fourth quarter with 10 points, all in the final 4:46 of the game. He made all of his free throws and stomped the last breath of air out of the Pacers with a long three-point dagger with 52 seconds to put the Cavs up seven and seal the deal. The bucket drew cheers from his local admirers and sent the Pacer faithful heading for the exits. 40 points, 7 assists and 9 rebounds will usually get it done for LeBron and tonight it was more than enough.

Despite Granger's struggles to keep up with LeBron, the Pacers actually had several players step up with solid contributions. In fact, the production the team received from T.J. Ford and Brandon Rush are usually solid indicators of a winning formula. The two back-court starters combined for 30 points and two turnovers. That has to be a record.

In the front court, Tyler Hansbrough and Troy Murphy pitched in heavily off the bench. Murph's return from injury could only have been better were there a win attached to the final score. He was able to play almost 24 minutes and logged a double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds. In fact, it took Murph exactly 22 seconds to grab his first rebound during his first appearance to start the second quarter.

Hansbrough played over 20 minutes as well and brought his text-book hustle to the scrap. He finished with 7 points and 3 rebounds, also snaring 3 steals and fueling one of the better Pacer highlights of the night, when he arrived out of nowhere to swat away a Mo Williams floater in the lane. The block was quickly turned into a flying Brandon Rush dunk at the other end.

Hansbrough was caught in a humorous moment shortly after he checked into the game in the first quarter. The rook found himself with the ball 18 feet away from the bucket with LeBron James sizing him up a few feet back. No doubt, James figured Hansbrough may attempt one of his patented bull rushes to the hoop. Instead, Hasnbrogh coolly knocked down the 18-footer and LeBron turned and just stopped dead in his tracks for a second when he saw the ball go through the hoop, like it was the last thing he expected.

So even with all of that good going on for the Pacers, the Cavs had too much for the home team. Anderson Varejao and J.J. Hickson were extremely active compliments to King James, keeping possession alive in first half and combining for 25 points on the night.

The losing indicator for the Pacers was definitely in the post, where foul trouble kept Roy Hibbert tethered to the bench. Solomon Jones didn't do anything spectacular in his 15 minutes and the coaches went with several lineup combinations that had Murph playing some center. Hibbert's offensive presence in the low post was sorely missed.

A few other quick points:

* Jim O'Brien was tossed out of the game about midway through the first quarter, a first for JOB as coach of the Pacers. He couldn't believe that all three refs swallowed their whistles after LeBron James crushed T.J. Ford within plain sight. JOB was well past the half-court stripe during the timeout and was soon heading back to his office where he listened to Slick and Boyle on the video feed.
    * The Pacers head into another period of transition as they return some healthy bodies. JOB mentioned that Hansbrough and Murphy will likely play together as they did tonight, but they've only practiced together once. Jeff Foster returns on Sunday. Man, they could've used him inside tonight to help on the glass.
    * Mike Dunleavy is expected to return next week, likely against the L.A. Clippers on Wednesday. His return will create more jumbling of the lineups, although it will take awhile before Dunleavy logs serious minutes. Still, while the options are plenty, the challenge of working the players into the right combinations remains.

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to pwee31 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Dunleavy to return Wednesday?!

Here's hoping my long-standing prediction of a Dunleavy return to action before Thanksgiving holds true. (fingers crossed)

Let it be! I can't wait to have Dun-dun back!
    @Digma2

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am really excited to add Dun to this mix. So far, at 5-5, the Pacers seem to have almost enough to be a pretty good team. They're young and still meshing with each other so they're inconsistent, but that's pretty much what we expected. Adding more talent and decreasing the strain on Granger to score constantly can only be good things. JOB seems to be establishing a good flow in the offense and the players are taking to keeping the ball moving, and Dun will fit wonderfully into that scheme.

As a side note, I had to listen to the Cleveland feed of last night's game on the radio. The play-by-play guy was having a time keeping up with the ball movement a few times. I thought I was listening to a Globetrotters game while they ran their weave!

Anyways, very much looking forward to seeing Dunleavy return and give us another option and hopefully bring us a few more in the W column.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Good news, everyone!

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Thanksgiving weekend game against Papa.

The romantic in me thinks this is very cool. But there's something in this that makes me a tiny little bit nervous. It might suggest that Mike Jr. is still a goal-oriented recoverer. One problem goal-oriented injured people can have is a failure to heed warning signs.

So, Little Mikey, if you're reading this, please remember: bodies do not heal through effort. They heal through discipline and care.

If you're not ready, don't fool yourself into playing just because you've set a date. I think your dad would agree with me on this.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Wells tweeted it.

http://twitter.com/Wells222/statuses/5925326618

"Dunleavy to make season debut against the Clippers on Wednesday."
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

****. Now I have to fork over a couple hundred bucks for League Pass. Does anyone have it and know how much it costs?

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Get the broadband league pass. You can go back and watch previous games at any time and it's only about $150 or so. I love it.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:

Banned

I can watch for free online ....

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Get the broadband league pass. You can go back and watch previous games at any time and it's only about $150 or so. I love it.
    Yes, the broadband version is pretty nice.

I got the TV version for $160 and the broadband comes with that for free, but I am pretty sure that promotion is over.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

Sweet, Dun will be back in the first game I am attending in 5 years!

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    Sweet, Dun will be back in the first game I am attending in 5 years!
    Oh my god, thats really great. I'm happy for you.
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

Way to go Jim, you may have just put our franchise back another 4+ years.

hmm, so who will be inactive? McBob's, Foster and Diener..or is Foster healthy?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He's going to solve the problem of people standing with the ball. He's going to get us those baskets when we need them the most!
    Passion, Pride, Playoffs, Pacers

18. The Following User Says Thank You to pianoman For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman View Post
    He's going to solve the problem of people standing with the ball. He's going to get us those baskets when we need them the most!
    If he knee is good he should help!

He's not a cure all though, and we don't know how he'll mesh with the newbies. Not to mention the fact that it's probably going to be awhile before he can play enough minutes to really make an impact.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

I'm so excited.

So many lineups, if this team ever became truly healthy, the possibilities boggle my mind.

Hibbert
    Murphy
    Granger
    Dahntay
    Ford

Obvious first choice I think, but there's more

Go small with

Murphy
    Granger
    Dahntay
    Dunleavy
    Ford/Watson

or go big with

Hibbert
    Foster
    Murphy
    Granger
    Dunleavy

I think that lineup could work for stretches of the game, though I doubt it'll EVER be used.

Hibbert
    Granger
    Dunleavy
    Rush
    Watson

gives good defense, and solid offense.

I could go on all night, I'm just excited at the though of being fully healthy (with the exception of Diener now).

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    hmm, so who will be inactive? McBob's, Foster and Diener..or is Foster healthy?
    Foster is back, so my guess is Diener, McBob and probably Price.. maybe Head

We can't have our second option on our whole team a sixth man. I just don't see it. How the hell are we going to give Rush, Dun, and Jones 30+ minutes a game?
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

Way to go Jim, you may have just put our franchise back another 4+ years.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's nice to see him make his return with his father there.

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    Foster is back, so my guess is Diener, McBob and probably Price.. maybe Head
    Hmm, it's an interesting question.

Head has played more. But A.J. has seen time at the point and shooting guard, where as Head just shooting guard. If Ford or Watson goes down, is the other player really going to be able to play the whole game.

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    Thanksgiving weekend game against Papa.

The romantic in me thinks this is very cool. But there's something in this that makes me a tiny little bit nervous. It might suggest that Mike Jr. is still a goal-oriented recoverer. One problem goal-oriented injured people can have is a failure to heed warning signs.

So, Little Mikey, if you're reading this, please remember: bodies do not heal through effort. They heal through discipline and care.

If you're not ready, don't fool yourself into playing just because you've set a date. I think your dad would agree with me on this.
    I think someone listened to your advice (sort of). Now Wells is saying no timetable on Dunleavy's return as he improves his conditioning.

I think Price will end up being on the IR... over Head. I think Head brings a spark off the bench more than Price has.

HURRY up Wednesday

Mood

He's not playing Wednesday now as far as we know. See above.