Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brandon Rush to be benched? (Mike Wells blog)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Brandon Rush to be benched? (Mike Wells blog)

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsi...reak_is_o.html

The streak is over

THE `HOUSE - I'm starting to wonder how many wake-up calls Jim O'Brien is going to give Brandon Rush before he permanently moves him to the bench.

O'Brien delivered another message to the second-year swingman when he had him riding the pine for most of the fourth quarter of the Pacers' collapse against the Knicks.

Rush, who looks like he's in for another roller coaster year, went 1-of-9 from the field, including 1-of-7 from long distance, in 26 minutes.

Earl Watson took most of Rush's minutes in the final quarter.

"We feel Earl is better in that situation until proven differently," O'Brien said. "Right now, I think Brandon is struggling. I don't think he's playing as well as he would like to play. Keep in mind, he's only in his second year and we have a chance to have a veteran presence out there. That's the reason we're doing it."

Rush often looks like he's just going through the motion when he's on the court. That's not going to work. The Pacers need him to score around 15 points a game.

Rush might want to get it together soon because Mike Dunleavy should be back in the lineup within the next few weeks.

O'Brien wasn't in a very pleasant mood in the fourth quarter.

His team was on the verge of blowing a 19-point lead and Danny Granger was on the bench in foul trouble.

A fan sitting in the first row near the Pacers' bench yelled to O'Brien to put Granger back in the game.

Bad move.

O'Brien looked toward the fan and said, "He's got five fouls, shut up!"

That's not exactly a way to help a fan base that's still on the fence about the team.

O'Brien wasn't the only Pacer not happy about things.

Point guard T.J. Ford, and Dahntay Jones weren't on the same page during a fast break in the first half.

Ford was on the left wing waving his arms at Jones, who had the ball in the middle of the court on the break. Jones attempted to passed it to the right but turned the ball over.

Not too pleased about his teammates decision, Ford, who was just 1-of-5 from the field and had five turnovers, flung his arms in frustration in the corner.

O'Brien agreed with Ford because he told Jones to do a better job of seeing the court after the turnover.

Default Re: Brandon Rush to be benched? (Mike Wells blog)

If Dunleavy, Murphy and Foster all come back and start playing, then Rush unless he starts playing better will see very few minutes

This is good work from Mike Wells.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wells
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Pacers need him to score around 15 points a game.
    Is this part of a game plan anywhere? Or just something Wells says to show that Brandon isn't measuring up to expectation?
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

And he should. This kid is getting shots and is shooting poorly. I still am hesititant about Ford and Jones together. They are slashers with a streaky mid range game.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    If Dunleavy, Murphy and Foster all come back and start playing, then Rush unless he starts playing better will see very few minutes
    Of course. I think this is what the team is hoping for. Rush maybe hit his peak. Maybe...

Mood

I am not all for Fire A Coach threads... but really... Watson's 0-7 was a whole lot better than Rush's 1-9. TJ was atrocious in the second half. JOB better prove himself. And the stuff with the fan.... RIDICULOUS and UNPROFESSIONAL.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    I am not all for Fire A Coach threads... but really... Watson's 0-7 was a whole lot better than Rush's 1-9. TJ was atrocious in the second half. JOB better prove himself. And the stuff with the fan.... RIDICULOUS and UNPROFESSIONAL.
    I can't justify what he said, if he said it. I never saw it, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. I think the best thing to do is let it go. Watson however, controlled the ball better than TJ did, obviously. Nights like that I really wish we had Mike. Soon, soon.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

I liked what he said to the fan. The fan made a stupid comment

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Mood

I'm sure if he was up close and badgering, trying very hard to get attention. Yelling to the point where he couldn't yell out to his players. But that doesn't matter because stadiums get loud...

I think that Rush should be benched once Foster or Murphy come back. Ford too for Watson. Ford's problem is that hes so dang ball dominant, but he is not very talented. It is worse when he is passive. He will look like a star some games, then most he looks silly. He has played okay this season, but he needs to play in the second unit where he can utilize his skills. Once Dunleavy and Murphy come back, we'll have too many good players for middle of the road teams, and irs crazy. You have:

Ford (starter on bad team)/Watson (good starter on bad team)
    Rush (starter on awful team, sixth man on bad team/Jones (starter on middle of road team, sixth man)
    Granger (star on any team) Dunleavy (starter on middle of road team, good sixth man for good team)
    Murphy (starter on okay team, okay sixth man for a good team)
    Hibbert (starter on any team)

We need to get higher caliber players, or you'll be torn on who to play (ask Portland). Too many nice players but not good to help a playoff team like we are becoming.
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

Way to go Jim, you may have just put our franchise back another 4+ years.

Mood

Buck.... I don't disagree with what the fan said being completely asinine. My problem is that no matter what level of frustration you get to, you don't allow a reaction to A FAN. We don't need to go back to the Brawl do we? I know... different circumstances.... but same aspect of professionalism. Fans are stupid. He is a professional coach. No fan's opinion or yelling should ever get a reaction from him.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacergod2 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Thesterovic View Post
    I think that Rush should be benched once Foster or Murphy come back. Ford too for Watson. Ford's problem is that hes so dang ball dominant, but he is not very talented. It is worse when he is passive. He will look like a star some games, then most he looks silly. He has played okay this season, but he needs to play in the second unit where he can utilize his skills. Once Dunleavy and Murphy come back, we'll have too many good players for middle of the road teams, and irs crazy. You have:

Ford (starter on bad team)/Watson (good starter on bad team)
    Rush (starter on awful team, sixth man on bad team/Jones (starter on middle of road team, sixth man)
    Granger (star on any team) Dunleavy (starter on middle of road team, good sixth man for good team)
    Murphy (starter on okay team, okay sixth man for a good team)
    Hibbert (starter on any team)

We need to get higher caliber players, or you'll be torn on who to play (ask Portland). Too many nice players but not good to help a playoff team like we are becoming.
    We can't bench everyone. You need to look at it this way, up until last night, wait...more specifically the second half of last night everyone was doing what they were supposed to. Shots were falling, defensive patters were working. We were a well-oiled machine.

How come everyone is taking away from that? We worked ourselves too hard and allowed them to come back. You'll have a game or two like that a season. Heck maybe four. We don't have enough *good* bodies to rotate in and out right now.

So far so good. We are 5 and 4. We've come out the past two weeks in a complete turn-around from the first three games. We're going to lose, guys. It's going to happen, and it's going to happen a lot more after tonight. You can only blow it up so many times and expect to get either the same or worse results.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

And O'Brien telling him to "shut up" was even more stupid. That's not exactly good PR when you are trying to rebuild the fan base and are practically begging people to come to games. The Pacers should be grateful for every person who pays to sit in that arena, regardless of whether they are an idiot or not.

Fans make stupid comments all the time. I don't think I've ever been to a sporting event without hearing a fan make a stupid comment. Nevertheless, it's still completely beneath a coach to tell a fan to "shut up", especially when it's one of YOUR fans (the people you are trying to get to come back!), and especially when he didn't even say anything insulting! It's not like he was putting down the players or O'Brien, he just wanted to see the star get put back in. Besides, a yelling fan should be the last thing O'Brien is focused on - especially given the team's collapse last night.

A casual local fan who is on the fence and hears that is probably going to say to themselves "no wonder this place has been so empty for 5 seasons."
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 11-19-2009 at 04:39 PM.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post

A casual local fan who is on the fence and hears that is probably going to say to themselves "no wonder this place has been so empty for 5 seasons."
    I think they already had a good idea why. What JOB did last night isn't going to change anything.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    Buck.... I don't disagree with what the fan said being completely asinine. My problem is that no matter what level of frustration you get to, you don't allow a reaction to A FAN. We don't need to go back to the Brawl do we? I know... different circumstances.... but same aspect of professionalism. Fans are stupid. He is a professional coach. No fan's opinion or yelling should ever get a reaction from him.
    Why? He's a human being and no matter how professional you are you are going to get frustrated when someone rides you for not doing something ridiculous.

I think this was actually a pretty appropriate, and to say it's a short step from telling someone to shut up to going into the stands and beating them up is a bit silly.

I like it because it shows JOB is in some ways just as frustrated and unhappy with the situation as the fans are.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    I like it because it shows JOB is in some ways just as frustrated and unhappy with the situation as the fans are.
    We're all one big, unhappy family!

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    We can't bench everyone. You need to look at it this way, up until last night, wait...more specifically the second half of last night everyone was doing what they were supposed to. Shots were falling, defensive patters were working. We were a well-oiled machine.

How come everyone is taking away from that? We worked ourselves too hard and allowed them to come back. You'll have a game or two like that a season. Heck maybe four. We don't have enough *good* bodies to rotate in and out right now.

So far so good. We are 5 and 4. We've come out the past two weeks in a complete turn-around from the first three games. We're going to lose, guys. It's going to happen, and it's going to happen a lot more after tonight. You can only blow it up so many times and expect to get either the same or worse results.
    Nah I've felt this way for a while. I feel that when bench players are almost always playing better than starters, they should get a chance. But I aint no coach.
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

Way to go Jim, you may have just put our franchise back another 4+ years.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

If he really said that to the fan, my guess is the fan said more than just "put granger back in".

24. The Following User Says Thank You to trey For This Useful Post:

I also think if you are going to ride anyone from your seat as a spectator you'd better be prepared for them to answer back.

There was no cursing, and there was probably a lower level of rudeness than the fan was showing. You'll note the fan is paraphrased, not quoted.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Why? He's a human being and no matter how professional you are you are going to get frustrated when someone rides you for not doing something ridiculous.

I think this was actually a pretty appropriate, and to say it's a short step from telling someone to shut up to going into the stands and beating them up is a bit silly.

Wow, I am surprised on your take on this Bill. I respectfully REALLY disagree with you on this one.

As for the brawl thing, I said it when I mentioned it, that it is the same premise, not the same circumstance. There should be no reaction by JOB, period, IMO.

Maybe JOB is frustrated because he knows how bad of a job he is doing (not that I believe this.. just the same speculation that you used).

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    I think they already had a good idea why. What JOB did last night isn't going to change anything.
    True, and in the grand scheme of things it's not that big of a deal. But it's still classless to tell someone to "shut up" when they aren't (to my knowledge, at least) saying anything insulting toward you or players. And it's just flat out stupid when you take into account that it's a PACER FAN that he directed it to. Not a wise thing to do when you are begging people to come back.

Mood

If the fan really was wasted and screaming profanity laced tirades at the players and insulting their wives and mothers.... then just tell one of your assistants to get security and get the guy banished from the game. Every other fan will be more than understanding at that point and it won't create a classless PR situation.

Brandon is playing very much like he did the beginning of last season. It's a poor shooting that he will get out of soon. We all know he can shoot. He was making shots after shots the middle to the end of last season. He'll come around and will retain the SG spot despite Mike returning.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    Brandon is playing very much like he did the beginning of last season. It's a poor shooting that he will get out of soon. We all know he can shoot. He was making shots after shots the middle to the end of last season. He'll come around and will retain the SG spot despite Mike returning.

It's not the fact that he's in a shooting slump that bugs us, it's that he isn't driving to the basket.

I guess I get tired of people who think that because they are fans they know more than the coach and can heap abuse on him from directly behind the bench.

I think they need to be aware that someone might just answer them, and I don't see how it is franchise-killing to have this kind of answer - especially since it explained why he wasn't putting Granger back in.

As always, we weren't sitting down there. Wells likes to spin things so as to stir the pot, and I suspect a little of this is just that.

I really do think that if we're at the stage where the fans will desert the team because the coach answered a fan and told him to shut up, without foul language or even doing more than looking at him, then we probably should go ahead and move the team. It's turning into the franchise equivalent of walking on eggshells. Next thing we'll be having a "text your vote" request to the fans for advice every time out so they can feel more a part of the game.

It is a fan's right to yell out things at the team and coach as long as you aren't disrupting people around you - heck, I do it from my seat all the time. But, if you're being a jerk, sometimes someone is going to answer you, and you need to take it like a grown-up. If I said something stupid and a player or coach called me on it and told me to shut up, I'd be duly chastised and embarrassed, but I wouldn't bail on the team.
    BillS

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post: