Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dunleavy Could Miss Half Of Next Season

Default Dunleavy Could Miss Half Of Next Season

Pacers swingman Mike Dunleavy could miss part of next season as he rehabilitates his surgically-repaired right knee.

Dunleavy had surgery to remove a bone spur from his right patellar tendon, and then had the tendon repaired, in March.

"Nothing that I've heard has Michael coming back anytime before January," Indiana coach Jim O'Brien said. "It's not even on my radar, Michael Dunleavy coming back. I have to approach next year like he's not coming back because you have to build a team."

The team hasn't released any sort of timetable for Dunleavy's return.

"We're going to play two months of our schedule at least, at least, without him," O'Brien said. "It would not be in my best interest to worry about a timeline for him."
    By Mike Wells
    IndyStar.com
    http://www.indystar.com/article/2009.../1088/SPORTS04
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Default Re: Dunleavy Could Miss Half Of Next Season

I think it is fair to assume that he really won't be healthy again until the 2011 season starts in the fall of 2010

at this time he'll be a big expiring and will probably interest some of the losers of the Lebron and co. sweepstakes

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Dunleavy could miss way more than half of next season.
    Already stoked for 2013-2014.

This injury aside I still feel the Pacers & Golden State Deal was a good deal for both parties involved.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dunleavy could miss way more than half of next season.
    Agreed. What was the last player to come back from a surgery that took that long to rehab?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Well it looks like our major need this draft may have shifted to SG. Unless there is a trade down the road for a vet here are our nominees

Harden 6-5 220 1A These two guys look to be a cut above the rest.
    DeRozan 6-6 210 1B
    Henderson 6-4 210 Could be a great get if he drops.
    Bundinger 6-7 218 Possibly there when we pick. athletic, can jump out of the gym. good 3pt range
    Ellington 6-5 194 Likely to be there when we pick.
    Williams 6-6 220 Combo SG/SF. Good athleticism.Stayed in college for four years.
    Evans 6-6 219 Just a Freshman in College
    Curry 6-1 180 Heard on the radio that a decision is coming next week on his entry in the draft. Combo guard. Still don't think he will make it as a PG in the NBA.

Im sure the Pacers have feelers throughout the NBA to see what SG's and PF's may be available through trades on draft night. What does everyone else think? Do we still look for our big first?
    Last edited by stevo; 04-10-2009 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    This injury aside I still feel the Pacers & Golden State Deal was a good deal for both parties involved.
    Absolutely, the only player we gave up who was worth anything was Jackson.

Harrington has proven to be hot garbage. Saranus is out of the league.
    Already stoked for 2013-2014.

Quote Originally Posted by stevo View Post
    Well it looks like our major need this draft may have shifted to SG. Unless there is a trade down the road for a vet here are our nominees

Harden 6-5 220 1A These two guys look to be a cut above the rest.
    DeRozan 6-6 210 1B
    Henderson 6-4 210 Could be a great get if he drops.
    Bundinger 6-7 218 Possibly there when we pick. athletic, can jump out of the gym. good 3pt range
    Ellington 6-5 194 Likely to be there when we pick.
    Williams 6-6 220 Combo SG/SF. Good athleticism.Stayed in college for four years.
    Evans 6-6 219 Just a Freshman in College
    Curry 6-1 180 Heard on the radio that a decision is coming next week on his entry in the draft. Combo guard. Still don't think he will make it as a PG in the NBA.

Im sure the Pacers have feelers throughout the NBA to see what SG's and PF's may be available through trades on draft night. What does everyone else think? Do we still look for our big first?
    Harden, DeRozen, and Henderson will probably be gone by the time we pick (maybe not DeRozen, but the others should be). Evans has a red-flag regarding his character issues, so I dont see him being a possibility for us.

If it seems the case that we might need another swingman to backup Rush and Granger, I think we should make a move for Outlaw because the Blazers were willing to move him if they could get cap relief
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Yeah, I think half season would be best case scenario for Dun. I'm not sure how much he improves us unless he becomes the sixth man.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

If he would've blown out his ACL would his recovery/rehab time been this long?
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    No.

No. Torn ACLs are often freak accidents that you just can't predict.

Dunleavy's had a known problem with his knee going back to his rookie year (or even late in college). It just never surfaced as a major problem up until now because he played inconsistent minutes his first few years in the league. Heavier minutes the past couple years have now made it an issue.

Dunleavy's problem has to do with wear/tear over a long period of time, as opposed to a freak injury like an ACL. The rehab/recovery processes aren't the same.

So is that saying this is more serious than an ACL tear or is it just 'different'?
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I think it is fair to assume that he really won't be healthy again until the 2011 season starts in the fall of 2010

I agree on your assumption.

So is that saying this is more serious than an ACL tear or is it just 'different'?
    More serious, definitely.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    More serious, definitely.
    It's definitely a lot closer to something along the lines of Jermaine O'neal's chronic/ongoing knee problems than Al Jefferson's torn ACL.

Well, the obvious bright spot of this is that the starting 2 position is pretty much officially Rush's. If Dun were healthy this season and beyond, who knows when Rush would have gotten the start or even gotten consistent minutes.

When Dun returns, there won't be much pressure on him, both mentally and physically, since he can start focusing on producing off the bench. He'll also be an attractive contract so we can look to move him if we can find something that helps us.

The way I see it is this is a blessing in disguise, since we needed a lockdown perimeter defender to be paired with Granger in the starting unit, who doesn't require any offense but is capable when called upon. We're step-by-step moving forward, and once we plug in a few more holes, we'll be able to put together what we have into a competitive team. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not happy at all that Dunleavy's injured and I want him to get well asap, but this does expedite our future.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Personally, I expect Dun to miss at least 75% of next season, and not be the same player again when/if he returns.

I'm bracing for the worst.
    "I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    If it seems the case that we might need another swingman to backup Rush and Granger, I think we should make a move for Outlaw because the Blazers were willing to move him if they could get cap relief
    The Blazers wouldn't do a Salary-Dump for Outlaw as he's considered a fairly valuable asset. They may include him as sweetner to get some better player....but we have nothing ( short of Granger ) that they would consider trading for.

Also...the Blazers don't really need much Cap relief....
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoddage View Post
    Well, the obvious bright spot of this is that the starting 2 position is pretty much officially Rush's. If Dun were healthy this season and beyond, who knows when Rush would have gotten the start or even gotten consistent minutes.

When Dun returns, there won't be much pressure on him, both mentally and physically, since he can start focusing on producing off the bench. He'll also be an attractive contract so we can look to move him if we can find something that helps us.

The way I see it is this is a blessing in disguise, since we needed a lockdown perimeter defender to be paired with Granger in the starting unit, who doesn't require any offense but is capable when called upon. We're step-by-step moving forward, and once we plug in a few more holes, we'll be able to put together what we have into a competitive team. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not happy at all that Dunleavy's injured and I want him to get well asap, but this does expedite our future.
    That's the way I see it.......BRush, by default....will either be the 1st Guard off the bench ( at least ensuring that he is a key rotational player ) if Jack is resigned and Starts....or may even get the Starting nod.

Another benefit is that IF we draft a GF, just like what happened with BRush this season....JO'B will have little choice but to give him some consistent minutes.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

We are not in a position to offer anyone cap relief.

It's a lot more of an unknown. ACL repairs are fairly common and the rehab schedule is known and somewhat predictable. Removing calcification from a patella tendon is something done fairly rarely, making the timetable for healing and rehab far less certain.

Hard to be competitive when you've got $18 mil in salary that's not producing for you (Tinsley/Dun). What are the rules surrounding someone who retires for medical reasons? I know we're a long way from that, but might as well start thinking about it.